All Comments on 'The Journey Ch. 08'

by BrokenSpokes

Sort by:
  • 87 Comments
steviecapsteviecapalmost 2 years ago

As always! Just awesome!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

... I really think "The Journey" might be your best story yet. It's amazing how little actual patience I found I had for the last 2-3 weeks since your profile updated (although this might be a "in retrospect"-thing - I can vaguely remember being extremely impatient with the final installment of "Wheels in Motion" as well, so maybe that was equally bad), and I quite literally postponed every single thing I had to do to first thing in the morning read this new chapter. And now all I can think about is how much I hate cliffhangers and that this is going to be a long few months :)

But seriously, though: This is a great chapter in a great series, and I'm eternally grateful that you took the time to write, edit, and publish it for us. Thank you! I'm very curious where you decide to take this - you namedropping Lampedo makes me wonder whether we'll get our Blue Girl Universe(tm) "Avengers, assemble!"-moment, and I'll more than happily wait for however long it takes for whatever happens next. Take care!

Missyella81Missyella81almost 2 years ago

5 starts are not enough for this story, it would take a galaxy to do it justice. I've been on pins and needles for weeks waiting for part 8, and this new twist only makes me appreciate your genius and talent that much more (I wasn't really ready for this story to end anyway). Thank you!

Inscription1213Inscription1213almost 2 years ago

As always an amazing story. Love the characters. Can wait for the next chapter. Hope happiness is at the end of the journey.

haltwhogoestherehaltwhogoestherealmost 2 years ago

Hey! Addie will be back! This chapter was worth the wait, I'm giving it the usual 8* (in my head anyway)!

MaonaighMaonaighalmost 2 years ago
"I'll only have the one..."

One drink is too many, a thousand is not enough. A very powerful chapter on the horrors of alcoholism. There were so many things in this chapter to grip the reader. Viv's comments about Father Estaban reminded me in some ways of the Irish Catholic priests of my boyhood (although back then homosexuality wasn't much talked about---the good Fathers found plenty of other things to come down on us over). And you've finished on a hell of a cliff-hangar. As I read, I could feel myself growing more and more angry at the bent cops fitting Jane up. Please, let's know as soon as possible what happens next.

flashdog666flashdog666almost 2 years ago

OK, great, amazing, engrossing. Bit that is a damn, damn, thoroughly diabolical and evil cliff hanger. I mean seriously, the wait will be literal psychological pain. Very much looking forward to Viv navigating calling Addison, if I'm right in my guess and recruiting her and possibly Megan to tear some heads off.

Be well and stay safe. Thanks for the tale.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Best story I've read in about a month. Thank you. You never disappoint.

MigbirdMigbirdalmost 2 years ago

Just as you intended, my heart is racing as I finished this chapter. This part of “The Journey” is so rich/so full ( the Spanish as it enriched poignant moments/happy moments), and the last few scenes are simply mesmerizing — feelings of joy giving way like a runaway train to fear and anxiety. Can feel Viv frozen in this frightening moment. I can see why writing parts of this chapter were difficult/ challenging, and I do not mean only this last scene, but so much more. Thanks for creating and sharing.

ScloseeScloseealmost 2 years ago

WOW!!! I’ve been patiently waiting for a long time and you leave it on another nail biter. I love your writing style and creativity, as well as the ability to address sensitive issues the way that you do. You really are deserving of any and all awards that come your way.

Now it’s back to patiently (or maybe not so patiently) waiting for the next chapter. I’m hoping desperately the start of chapter 9 doesn’t find Viv drunk but instead finally turning a corner and finding strength.

Please, keep on writing this and hopefully many more stories to share with us, your faithful fans.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very well done!!

teekjayteekjayalmost 2 years ago

It never fails. The characters in every one of your stories are so real and so touching. I’m sitting here after finishing this chapter praying that Viv won’t be “destroyed.” But, that’s the problem when I’m reading your stories. I get so emotionally involved with your stories because of the quality of your writing and the genuineness of the characters who populate your tales. I thought the cliffhanger at the end of chapter 5 of Hard Landing was a gut-wrencher, but this one easily tops that one. I know it’s not always in the cards, but here’s to hoping for a happy ending.

Runner4069Runner4069almost 2 years ago

NOOOOOO!!!! That cliff hanger is just brutal, I hope it goes the way of Addison and not the tequila. It was a great and riveting chapter as always, the wait between sections is painful, as another comment noted. I love you work, your talent is absolutely incredible, and thank-you for sharing!

metroalmametroalmaalmost 2 years ago

When Jane went off the highway in the Valley, bad feeling came on strong, there are lot's of former sundown towns/counties. but we cannot expect an easy ride with Broken Spokes. What we can expect and always get is a great story well told. Now for some recovery time.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wonderful, just wonderful, you write such good stories and this is right up there with all of the rest. In tears several times while reading this. Started at midnight, just one part, ha ha, couldn't stop so now at 01.40 will crawl into bed. You are so worth it, thank you yet again for sharing your prodigious talent with us all.

MurseDMurseDalmost 2 years ago

Great chapter. I have it a 5* not because of the usual great character development or the good sex scenes, but because of the very real way you handled a dicta and their addictions. Whether it alcohol, drugs, or whatever, you have a very real description of what it’s like for addicts to try and get clean, a lot of whom never do because they lack the support system the Viv has. Very well done.

FirstClassFlirtFirstClassFlirtalmost 2 years ago

Recently heard a story from an Ethiopian friend of mine who got stopped by a flock of cops after a bank robbery he had nothing to do with, other than being black. He’s lucky he wasn’t killed. So I’m not surprised but disheartened. Religion? Jesus taught love. Race, sexual orientation, gender identity? Some just prefer hate when it gives them power. I’d hoped this was the last chapter as the alcohol moments are causing me alcohol moments. Now I just hope there won’t be Armageddon

yhgtbkyhgtbkalmost 2 years ago

Looks like we need Jo and Blue Girl to come to the rescue.

Tawny33Tawny33almost 2 years ago

A riveting story as usual :)

arg08arg08almost 2 years ago

There I was reading along, page 5 out of 6, thinking "yes, this is wrapping up to a nice happy ending, but maybe a bit too neat, too upbeat after the gritty realism of the rest of the story", then I turn the page and WOAH!! the story veers off the road. The Journey isn't over yet!

With many stories, while waiting for the next part to appear I amuse myself by making up my own version of how it is going to continue. With this story I don't bother, as I have no idea what is coming next and no chance that I could come up with anything as good as the real article. Each twist and turn of the story has been completely unexpected, yet with hindsight perfectly right for the characters and their situations.

So I'll sit here clicking 'refresh' with as much restraint as I can muster, waiting for the next chapter of the best story I've read in a long time (in any medium), and thanking you for your generosity in bringing it to us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

.

Well there are a few possible ways this could go. 1. Viv gets drunk. 2. Viv calls Addison. 3. Viv gets drunk and calls Addison. If it's option 2, then Viv is definitely making real progress. It's high time for a reconciliation between Viv and Addison, and Jane's unfortunate situation has provided the requisite premise. Of course I'm rooting for Megan "Thee Legal Stallion" to make an appearance as well. That was an all time great cliffhanger ending, but it wasn't necessary to whet my appetite for the next chapter: All that's required at this point is the title and the author. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Albanach2000Albanach2000almost 2 years ago

Wow, what a cliffhanger! I wasn't a fan of Viv when she appeared in WiM and was sceptical with this story but slowly I've come to like her origanally as a lost soul but now as someone who has something to fight for. You have left her with a dilemma which I'm sure she now has the strength of character to make the right choice and the BGU will arrive to save her.

As always, a brilliantly written. Well done!

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnonalmost 2 years ago

This is masterly storytelling. The tale has taken another turn, but one that you've set us up for with the discussion of intersectionality and Viv's two encounters with the police. It seems everything in the story is there for a reason, and I love the way you are able to weave it all together.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Another astonishingly good piece of writing. Respect to a true wordsmith!

JCMcNeillyJCMcNeillyalmost 2 years ago

Amazing. That was absolutely gripping from start to finish. You’re just the best writer in this genre, hands down. I agree with a previous commenter, I hope the thing Viv needs to do is call Addie, and not just cause I’d love to check in with her again. I think closure there would be wonderful. I love the way you are handling Viv’s recovery, not letting it be easy or smooth. It almost never is. But, addict or not, what gets us through the days are the people we love. Thank you.

MurseDMurseDalmost 2 years ago

I also love the inclusion of our Jack. I had my suspicions when he was first introduced, but having it confirmed for me the way it was was also a bit of a shock (but not unexpected after rereading Blue Girl).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

oh, jesus....I see where this is going

lilshymynxlilshymynxalmost 2 years ago

I don't know what else to say other than this continues to be an incredible journey, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. <3

LilyVonSchtuppLilyVonSchtuppalmost 2 years ago
But...but...

But they need a happy ending! Things are not looking good. I do hope that you have a way out of the current situation planned. If anyone deserves a "happily ever after" it's Viv.

Well written with good characters. Thank you for sharing it with us. I look forward to the next chapter in this story.

OpenmarriageohioOpenmarriageohioalmost 2 years ago

You and cliffhangers. Who does she call? I have a feeling. Let's see if I am correct.

Another wonderful chapter to this story. I am alway amazed at the amount of research you put into your stories. Excited about the next chapter. Thank you!

Proxy128Proxy128almost 2 years ago

She better be calling Addison & turning her back on that Patrón poster! She needs to keep her credibility & progress. Cop's will claim you can't trust a drunk for accuracy & whoever she calls will be the only proof she didn't fall of the wagon.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Oh my god ..... Please BS dont made this next chapter a horror trip for voth lovers ...... Sitting here amd tears streamimg down, after this Rollercoaster rides in the past chapters ....... Please they developed such great steps closing this gap and now a white cop is destroying all this ....... Please dont let this happen please, we already have so much horrible Scenario in real life ...... Ok thank you for sharimg another extraordinary tale in this journey ...... Just wonderful ....... As im not able to log in, i will copy and paste it under my synonym later

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Love the story (and all your stories!) Hate the cliff hanger! Any chance you could put english translation in paranethesis when they are speaking Spanish for the non spanish speakingreaders? :)

chiefhalchiefhalalmost 2 years ago

NOOOOO this is cruel and unusual punishment!

fallwatcherfallwatcheralmost 2 years ago

So good. I'm rooting for Viv to pass through this trial just like I'd root for one of my real therapy clients. You've written her so well (and Jane, too) that I have to keep reminding myself that she's a fictional character. Your portrayal of her struggles with her alcoholism is so spot on. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take her next on her journey. Thank you for sharing your writing talent and amazing storytelling with us.

servemistservemistalmost 2 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Jack. I sometimes guess life is not all "happy endings." The Journey is a great story, and selfishly, the chapters are too far apart. As with all of your stories, it's more than just sex, it's about relationships, about the tremendous challenge to find the person that supports you. The impact of your relationship on your parents, or children, and how we don't always see eye to eye. The Journey is current, ripping the headlines and placing context into your story. Reading the story, you can get a grasp of the weakness of all the characters, and what they look for in each other to have the strength to keep moving. My best guess, Addison, comes in and saves the day. Viv and Jane get married, and the Rotors play the wedding! Sign me up

ca_daveca_davealmost 2 years ago

To all that say this was the all time cliffhanger, this was good. Check out Catering Girl by GinnyPPC. There are several cliffhangers in it. Loved the Rotors appearing here. There are several people could reach out to. Addison is the one that comes to mind. Jack her mentor should be the first she could call. Megan comes to mind as well. Regardless I know you have the aircraft and will pilot them to safety. Thank you 5*

shayneoneshayneonealmost 2 years ago

looking forward to were this goes be well safe and happy shayne

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyalmost 2 years ago

Oh my god.... please don't be so cruel to both girls ..... Please BS dont made this next chapter a horror trip for voth lovers ...... Sitting here amd tears streamimg down, after this Rollercoaster rides in the past chapters ....... Please they developed such great steps closing this gap and now a white cop is destroying all this ....... Please dont let this happen please, we already have so much horrible Scenario in real life ...... Ok thank you for sharimg another extraordinary tale in this journey ...... Just wonderful ....... As im not able to log in, i will copy and paste it under my synonym later

DickSimpsonDickSimpsonalmost 2 years ago

Just figured out where this is going. Can't wait to see how you do it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Damn it, Spokes, you've done it to me again. I knew from the beginning that you loved cliffhangers, and I vowed to never read anything of yours that wasn't complete. But for Viv I broke that vow - and you've gone and hung me off the cliff three times running. Excellent story, excellent characters, well worth all the stars I can give it, but just... damn. This cost me an hour and a half of sleep I couldn't spare. I know this is a hard story to write, but it's maybe one of your strongest ever, just please... don't take long to get the next part out.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The story keeps getting better. In my mind I know what she is going to do but I see ca_dave has already commented -- Addison was the first name to spring to my mind, then Megan.

Viv is going to experience the presence of a genuine support structure, critical for a recovering alcoholic (of which I am one).

AhhknowkneemushAhhknowkneemushalmost 2 years ago

I never thought I’d see the day that Addie and BLM could come back weaved into your stories, but here we are!! I have always been in awe of your writing because of the diverse way you represent lesbian women—from veterans with PTSD, disabled doctors, lawyers, educators, and now a Catholic Hispanic woman who struggles with alcoholism. You seemingly tackle very personal subject matters of identity formation interweaved in heavy social issues with ease (even knowing with certainty that it isn’t!) because everything you write stems from a place of love. I’ve commented on your writing about two years ago but I don’t think I’ve properly thanked you for your honest and raw work. Thank you for shedding light and sharing insight into what it means to be a lesbian woman by building this universe of interconnected stories. Whoever inspires your writing and character development, please tell them thank you for sharing their light with you. I hope they are just as proud of the work you do as I am impressed, delighted, and empowered. Keep on keeping on!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

hoooooolyy shi*t. full circle, huh? I love your writing. This topic is soooo needed. Thank you. Thank you for writing, Thank you for seeing. Thank you for not taking anything for granted. I can't wait for the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

So wonderful that you’re continuing this challenging and compelling series.

CaponerCaponeralmost 2 years ago

You’re killing me with this cliffhanger

Cindy1001Cindy1001almost 2 years ago

Finally caught up with the story, only to find such an amazing (and agonising) cliffhanger moment. What we readers have to put up with! You writers play with our emotions as if we're dolls. And I'm so grateful for you doing so!

Pookiebear123Pookiebear123almost 2 years ago

I have been waiting FOREVER for the next chapter and you didn’t disappoint!! Please don’t wait as long before releasing the next chapter.

RileyworksRileyworksalmost 2 years ago

Thank you for your work. I learn something new every time I read what you write. You are a blessing to the world. I am a better person for having read your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I fucking love you. Beautiful story, absolutely great. I can’t wait to see where it goes next!!

jmcharl1jmcharl1almost 2 years ago

This chapter destroyed me. . . And to end it that way without chapter 9 to read was painful.

But I will be waiting for you next gift to your fans. Stay healthy and happy in these trying times.

DickSimpsonDickSimpsonalmost 2 years ago

Addie to the rescue! Pearl White has nothing on you.

UncertainTUncertainTover 1 year ago

I am genuinely scared as I am so totally in the moment.

mfan2112mfan2112over 1 year ago

Spokes, I just reread the Journey and Viv is by far your most complex character you have created. Very well done. But one thing is bugging me, although it is a small thing. So feel free to put my question in the trash if you like. But in chapter 6 you brought up STFU Fridays and Jane said it was "excellent advice, no matter how you end up talking to law enforcement." So the question is, why didn't she STFU when she was pulled over? I hope you explain that in your next chapter.

I hope you are doing well, and thank you for gracing us with your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I hope Viv calls Addison.

But, real life, Jane has a Phd, her parents are doctors, even as a Black American this would not be a long term problem for her. She, her mom and her dad probably know or can find people who can help. What happened is wrong in every respect, but she has a lot of privilege.

Which is something that those of us with privilege that we may not acknowledge should remember.

storyman60storyman60over 1 year ago

Noooooo I need chapter nine and I need it now! What a cliffhanger

Roti8211Chanai643Roti8211Chanai643over 1 year ago

Really Great Read! Had trouble at the start Viv was such a dirtbag but as the story went on and you developed the background it became so much more real. The fact that Viv add issues with her worth and was reluctant to share/show where she came from really resonated. Vivian moving forward and accepting her own issues and attempting to make amends really is what makes this story.

okami1061okami1061over 1 year ago

Notes:

As a writer analyzing this story, I think it’s not much of a story. It’s *way* too much about society and not about people. And it’s certainly not about Vivien. Vivien is really just a McMuffin to wave several social flags so much so that it obscures the story.

And it’s hardly a romance. And not at all about lesbian sex. Social justice isn't either of these.

The social points mostly have merit. And I strongly support 99% of that material in this piece (except the fake alcoholism/addiction parts), but this piece is not story, in my opinion. It’s you trying to make points (that you think are important) and change the world (as writers are wont to do). But as I commented in early comments, changing the world this way does not work. You’re rubbing the problems (that cannot be solved) in your readers’ faces and not letting them experience the problems and search for solutions themselves. This is, in my opinion, selfish storytelling, leaking your own ideas into your writings in an overt and definitely not subtle way.

The statement:

It's been proven in studies again and again that the less diverse a community is, the more prevalent racism is. The more diverse a community, the more accepting people are of people who don't look or speak like they do.

is a tautology and has no meaning. It simply says less diverse is less diverse and more diverse is more diverse. Of course *any* community that is diverse is accepting of the fact that it is diverse. Wasted words that try to sound important, but aren’t.

Loved:

“I tried (and failed) …”

This turned into a cute, and eventually endearing, byline for Viv and Jane. I don’t know if you intended that to be the case or if it “just happened”, but it was really really good. It drew in the reader just that little bit more, a subtly that they probably didn’t realize they were being drawn into … until it was a done deal.

Oh and:

Silence, broken only by the hissing of steam escaping the punctured radiator, the ticking of the now dead engine.

VW bugs don’t have radiators. They’re air cooled.

Very annoying, and VERY condescending:

The alcoholics ”establishment” is SO determined that every one who takes a drink is an alcoholic. It’s truly sad, and not at all like every lesbian says every female is a lesbian. The addiction establishment is a BUSINESS now. They NEED people to be addicts for their rehab facilities and to justify their sad little lives whining about all the previous mistakes. And turning Viv into a paper alcoholic is the lowest of low writing. Humans have spent the last ten thousand years in a love/hate/need relationship with alcohol. But the fact is, without alcohol not one of us would be alive today to be reading this story. Up until the 20th century alcohol was the ONLY anti-septic we had. All those alcoholic drinks over the last ten centuries kept us alive by controlling all the germs we didn’t even know existed. It’s pretty small minded to denigrate the substance that has allowed us to survive to this point. How very prohibition of you.

But I’m very disappointed this story descended into such triteness. It’s very clear that you have a bug about someone you think should have controlled their alcohol intake. But to go all conservative (like maybe … religion about homosexuality?), condemn characters for things that everyone in society has mostly learned to deal with over the last ten thousand years just because you personally have an issue with someone from your past.

Or it could be worse. You’re on a soapbox about something you know nothing about. This whole story has such a fake PC feel to it, both on racism and on addiction.

Some background characters from previous good stories deserve to be raised to full characters in new stories. Vivien was not one of those characters. She was transparently boring from the first paragraph.

Your prior stories have been so outstanding, I just can’t see how this one made it onto your radar to even considering writing. I mean storytelling-wise, from the first paragraph to the last … nothing really happened.

“Addicts lie.” Seriously? Could there be a more condescending and fake comment? Now you’ve turned Viv, who at the start of the story (and the previous one) showed no sign of additive behavior, is now running around saying she’s an addict. And that’s not the worst of it. People “indoctrinated” into addict world are TAUGHT they are addicts with no hope of ever not being one. Is it any surprise that they use that to justify lying? Give me a break! What establishment bullshit. Another way to hold people down and not let them rise above whatever they’re issues are!

And right to the end … what are we left with? That Viv is Jane’s personal little social experiment, milking her for more writing/teaching ideas. Lecturing to the end. Her little ugly duckling she has to take care of. What a safe/sad little relationship that’s going to be.

And could there be a less understanding person on the earth than Jane. Me, me, me. Lied to me. Hurt me. Give me a break. There is no love in “me”.

“Never knew you had a problem,” Jane says. *You* had a problem. *never knew*. What a load of selfish horseshit. Personally, I don’t think Viv DID have a problem. But if Jane didn’t know … how selfish does that make Jane. Privileged little academician, so sorry the poor little latino had an issue and didn’t tell her. Unbelievable (I mean in real life, but more in the context of the story: meaning the story is unbelievable).

Oh! And Jane is “willing” to consider taking her back? Seriously, screw the bitch. Viv is definitely better off with someone who is not so amazingly disconnected from reality. She teaches and writes about race? She is one of the best examples of pointless academia (and I know; it was there for 20 years). She is why things don’t actually get better. Sitting in her ivory tower fretting over her books and who blurbs them. Get real. She knows *nothing* about the real world of race. 100% of what she thinks she knows has come from reading books of other academicians that didn’t know anything about reality either. The closest Jane every got to race issues what fucking Viv in her bedroom in the "bad" of town. So cluelessly self-delusional.

But to be honest, I hated Jane from the first words she spoke. Everything she said to Viv and to her class was so incredibly condescending … coming from someone (and speaking to others) who has not the slightest clue what she was talking about. Books, books, dates, papers, references, citations. Yeah. That's race relations.

And … so addiction establishment … every conversation after rehab just had to include something about addiction or rehab. That is exactly what is drummed into during rehab. Never said, but always implied: once in rehab, always in rehab.

I was feeling literally sick with all the rehab cliches in the last chapter. “One day at a time”. Let’s start talking 12 steps here, too. So cluelessly trite. And pointless talks with condescending sponsors. Wow. So PC.

But, as I got further into this last chapter, it was making me physically ill.

I had to abandon it for my own sanity on page 3. I couldn't take it anymore. Right at the very top of most hated stories I've ever (almost) read here on Lit.

Don't get me wrong. You are a fantastic writer. Prior stories all at the top of my list. All on my self-training list of stories to re-read. It's just that this one so completely missed the mark (and was so cluelessly offensive).

okami1061okami1061over 1 year ago

Oh. And one other thing:

Almost attacking a commenter who did not like all the anti-racism preaching in the story by saying if they didn't agree they must want a racist world: that is very unprofessional of a writer. Just because they didn't like *your* use of anti-racism in your story, does not that make a racist.

Do not raise your writing to the level of truth. You're writing fiction here. And your readers have the RIGHT do decide if they like the way you wrote it or not. Don't get carried away with yourself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Can’t wait to see what sterling prose you produce, okami. So much criticism for someone who has nothing on this site to back it up. Thanks for the wall of text that said nothing of substance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Okami1061 here are a few of your own words for yourself regarding your wall of garbage…Wasted words that try to sound important, but aren’t….. Very annoying, and VERY condescending… Don't get carried away with YOURSELF! Oh. And one other thing - This is a site for amateur writers, criticism might be appreciated but I’m sure your sanctimonious negative comments are not welcomed. You are a self acclaimed writer spending 20 years in academia…what’s the title of your best selling novel? Or have you posted anything at all? Get off your soapbox, your RIGHT to like or unlike a story is yours (rate the story with zero stars) but it is not right to be unkind…people like you are detrimental to our society.

Enough said. TO.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I know you generally post on a longer schedule. But I really look forward to your postings. Your stories aren't just sex, they have feelings and character growth. I really appreciate all the effort you put in. Please come back and update soon!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

@okami1061

You started your first comment with “as a writer” so I naturally went straight to your page only to find

“This user does not have any submissions yet”.

Yeah, right. Good one, mate.

Nightwish1977Nightwish1977over 1 year ago

I totally enjoyed the story and the writing style. Looking forward to the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Love your stories but damn the suspense is hard to handle - what happens next to Jane & Viv????

BelindaTvDKBelindaTvDKabout 1 year ago

What a lovely story..

I can't wait to hear, how it goes..

When do you think there is more from Viv and Jane??

Cheers

Belinda

_robin_robinabout 1 year ago

I think Addison will ride in to rescue Jane, since Viv’s contact at the women’s legal center is off on vacay & has an away message. OK, I read okami’s long post. I at least partially agree with most of the points okami makes. Especially, Jane as a bit of a sterile, ivory tower mandarin who is not going to achieve anything positive to combat racism. But don’t you think the BrokenSpokes is showing us that? I think that is part of the point of this story. Hopefully after Jane is bailed out of jail (hopefully saving her car,) she will be sadder & wiser. This story is gut-wrenching and engrossing. And my Google translate is getting quite the workout.

And another thing. Maybe I’m clueless, but I read about Viv’s alcohol intake, shot by shot and pitcher by pitcher. And I never really noticed she was a heavy drinker. Amusing that she bought Jane a bottle of chianti, admitted to Jane that she’d never actually drunk wine, and then Jane sipped it, and opined that it was quite a good chianti. I think this story illustrates the class divisions in America more starkly than anything I’ve ever read ..

_robin_robinabout 1 year ago

An intriguing thing, passing as white.

Jane is a rich kid, educationally advantaged, privileged in all sorts of ways. But she can’t pass. (She’s black.)

Viv is disadvantaged in every way. Father died, mother deported, barely got a HS diploma, lives paycheck to paycheck. But she can pass as white (she’s of Mexican ancestry.)

Viv writes a class paper for Jane about passing, gets an excellent grade, Jane is impressed. Plus, Viv mastered the AP citation style.

There’s not a word in here about the paper, Viv’s research, what she found out. I want to hear that!

Butch_BabyButch_Babyabout 1 year ago

I waited months to read the completed story of this and found its STILL not completed. Thank you again for wasting my time. Nearly a year since you did this episode. You said these characters meant a lot to you but obv not enough cos you forgot about them and the people that read these stories. I'll read again in 5 years and see if its completed then. Very disappointed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Please please finish his story....I can't sit with this much anticipation brewing in my tummy....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Butch Baby, cut Spokes some slack. This is being done for free.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

One thing about you is that you always do finish your stories. The fact this one isn’t, makes me hope everything is ok in your world, This is just a story, of which you should be rightly proud. I’m going to imagine it finished on the happy ending. Thank you for all you have shared.

reddbunnzreddbunnz12 months ago

Congrats, BrokenSpokes, for winning a contest for The Journey. I love the story and cannot wait to see how you finish the tale in the near future. Please do not keep us waiting much longer. It's been almost 11 long months. I hope things are well and you return to writing soon.

Mike9947Mike994712 months ago

This won a prize?

XactoXacto11 months ago

This story is SO beautifully crafted! (I just kinda wish it didn’t have so much horrible realism in it. 🙄) I eagerly await another chapter. ❤️❤️❤️

crittergirlcrittergirl11 months ago

I hope you're doing well, having been away from writing this story so long. I know as someone reading your stories for free I have little right to complain, but I really hope you can finish this soon. I am so desperate for the next chapter of this story, and I'm also afraid it's going to break my heart if Viv goes back to drinking now.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great story. Part Nine ??

Nightwish1977Nightwish19779 months ago

Just read the message in your biography. I hope you are well and looking forward to the next chapter of the story, whenever it's ready.

Roti8211Chanai643Roti8211Chanai6439 months ago

Really looking forward to the continuation of Vivs story!

Life gets in the way sometimes, just makes the anticipation that much better!

Thank you for the story so far!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

"Thanks for all the fish!" I do appreciate your work. But...

You made it a cliff-hanger and then dumped us? It's been over a year since this was posted and you aren't even telling us it's coming?

apollo_XIapollo_XI7 months ago

You have to finish this story! That was quite the cliff hanger. Will Viv think of calling Addison? Before or after her drink?

The trials and tribulations of Viv's life are an amazing story. You are an amazing author and be really hope you finish the story.

gaileeegaileee6 months ago

The "To Be Continued" broke my heart. Really good series but it's been a year. Really enjoyed the Blue Girl series. I wished I've seen the order of reading for everything before reading your works but I did piece the timeline as I go. Eagerly waiting for the chapter 9 of this but taking a page from Viv's book, one day at a time. Congrats on winning and ignore Mike9947's comment. Well-deserved win.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I have been rereading all of your stories for the second time during the last few weeks. It is all well written, not always easy since I am not a born English speaker. But it is worth the effort. Of course I am glad you posted the 9th chapter a few days ago, I am sure it will meet my expectations. Thanks for writing.

Dutch straight retired male.

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnon6 months ago

I'm glad that I reread this ready for the next chapter. There's quite a lot that happened in this chapter, but one year on all I could remember was the cliff-hanger ending.

toesucker1toesucker16 months ago

I just re-read this chapter in prep for reading the next and I'm glad I did.

I thought the description of Viv's struggle with alcohol was spot on. These characters are so vivid and real.

CorporalTraversCorporalTravers3 months ago

After rereading the first eight chapters again, I noticed some nice details I either missed during my first read, or I had just forgotten since then. For Instance, Jack mentions he used to work as a sound technician for a rock band comprised of High School Friends of his. Two of whom are named Steve and Larry. Hmm, I wonder who that could possibly be...😉

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBrokenSpokes@BrokenSpokes
My author friends AwkwardMD and Omenainen's collaborative account AwkwardApple415 have released a new story today, The Most Mysterious Song. Go check it out and show them some love! It's a sweet little tale. ~~~~~~~~~~ Hello, and welcome to my author bio page. I'm Spokes, an...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES