The Kansas University Quarterly : $b Vol. I, No. 4, April 1893

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ivins, William M. “Municipal Government.” Political Science Quarterly, June, 1887. The author claims that changes in municipal organization have been incident to the extension of the general functions of government, and gives an analysis of the system of government in New York City.

Ivins, William M. “Machine Politics and Money in Elections.” Harper’s “Handy Series,” N. Y., 1887. This little book describes the working of election laws in New York, gives the amount of assessments paid by candidates for office, and advocates the adoption of the essential features of the English system.

Janes, Lewis G. “The Problem of City Government.” 40 pp. N. Y., D. Appleton & Co., 1892. This is a lecture before the Brooklyn Ethical Association, printed in a series entitled “Man and the State.”

Johns Hopkins Studies in History and Political Science. Vol. 3. “The City of Washington,” by J. A. Porter. Vol. 4. “The Town and City Government of New Haven,” by Chas. H. Levermore. Vol. 5. “The City Government of Philadelphia,” by E. P. Allinson and Boies Penrose. “City Government of Boston,” by James M. Bugbee. “City Government of St. Louis,” by Marshall S. Snow. Vol. 7. “The Municipal Government of San Francisco,” by Bernard Moses. “Municipal History of New Orleans,” by W. H. Howe. Extra vol. 1. “The Republic of New Haven: a History of Municipal Evolution,” by Chas. H. Levermore. Extra vol. 2. “Philadelphia, 1681-1887. A Study of Municipal Development,” by E. P. Allinson and Boies Penrose. Extra vol. 4. “Local Constitutional History of the United States.” Vol. I, “The Development of the Township, the Hundred and the Shire.” Vol. II will treat of the “Development of City and Local Magistracies.”

Kasson, John A. “Municipal Reform.” North American Review, September, 1883, vol. 137, pp. 218-30.

Lewis, W. D. “Political Organization of a Modern Municipality.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, January, 1892, vol. 2, pp. 26-38. Reprinted separately. The author is instructor in political economy in Haverford College. The main thought of his paper is that the way to improve city politics is to separate them from national politics.

Low, Seth. “Municipal Home Rule.” A speech delivered in Brooklyn, October 6, 1882.

Low, Seth. “Municipal Government.” An address delivered February 19, 1885, before the Municipal Reform League of Rochester, N. Y., and printed by the League.

Low, Seth. “The Problem of Municipal Government.” An address delivered March 16, 1887, at Cornell University and printed by the University.

Low, Seth, “Obstacles to Good City Government.” Forum, May, 1888, vol. 5, p. 260.

Low, Seth. “The Problem of Municipal Government.” An article in the Civil Service Reformer for April, 1889, and reprinted as No. 4 of Notes Supplementary to Johns Hopkins University Studies.

Low, Seth. “The Government of Cities in the United States.” Century, September, 1891, vol. 42, pp. 730-6.

Mathews, Robert. “Municipal Administration.” An address before the Fortnightly Club of Rochester, N. Y., January 20, 1885.

Mayors of Boston, Baltimore, Buffalo and St. Louis. “How to Improve Municipal Government.” North American Review, November, 1891, vol. 153, pp. 580-95.

Morison, Frank. “Municipal Government: a Corporate, not a Political Problem.” Forum, August, 1892, vol. 13, pp. 789-94.

New York. “Report of the Commission to devise a Plan for the Government of Cities in the State of New York.” Assembly Doc., No. 68, vol. 6, 1877. This is a very able report. The commission was appointed by Governor Tilden, with Wm. M. Evarts as chairman. The amendment to the constitution proposed by the commission was discussed by E. L. Godkin in the “Nation,” vol. 26, p. 108.

New York. “Testimony taken before the Senate Committee on Cities.” Transmitted to the Legislature April 15, 1891. 5 vols. Vol. 5 contains much information respecting cities in New York and the general laws for the incorporation of cities in other states.

Parker, Francis J. “A Study of Municipal Government in Massachusetts.” Boston, 1881. This pamphlet resulted from two reports of a commission appointed in 1881 to revise the city charter of Newton, Mass. The discussion was continued by Mr. Parker and Professor W. F. Allen in the “Nation,” September, 1881, vol. 33, pp. 169 and 196.

Parton, James. “Overgrown City Government.” Forum, February, 1887, vol. 2, pp. 539-48.

Parton, James. “Municipal Government.” Chautauquan, January, 1888, vol. 8, p. 203.

Pennsylvania. “Report of a Commission to devise a Plan for the Government of Cities in the State of Pennsylvania.” Harrisburg, 1878.

Prichard, F. P. “The Study of the Science of Municipal Government.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, January, 1892, vol. 2, pp. 18-25. Printed separately. The author advocates the formation of local societies for the purpose of studying the science of government.

Ralph, Julian. “Western Modes of City Management.” Harper’s Magazine, April, 1892, vol. 84, p. 709.

Reemelin, Charles. “City Government.” A paper read at the meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, held at Ann Arbor, Mich., in August, 1885.

Shapley, Rufus E. “Solid for Mulhooly.” This admirable satire was called out by the rule of the gas ring in Philadelphia. It was printed anonymously in 1881 and reprinted in vol. 1 of Spofford & Shapley’s “Library of Wit and Humor,” Phila., 1884. It gives an excellent picture of machine methods in large cities.

Sterne, Simon. “Cities, Administration of American” in Lalor’s Cyclopedia of Political Science, vol. 1, pp. 460-68.

Sterne, Simon. “The Administration of American Cities.” International Review, vol. 4, p. 361.

Sterne, Simon. “Suffrage in Cities.” No. 7 in Putnam’s “Economic Monographs.” o. p.

Sterne, Simon. “Constitutional History of the United States.” N. Y., 1882. Pages 257 and 274 give a brief criticism of municipal government. Mr. Sterne was a member of the New York commission.

Storey, Moorfield. “The Government of Cities.” Proceedings of the National Civil Service Reform League for 1891.

Storey, Moorfield. “Government of Cities.” New Englander, June, 1892, N. S., vol. 4, p. 432.

Teall, O. S. “Municipal Reform.” Cosmopolitan, March, 1891.

White, Andrew D. “The Government of American Cities.” Forum, December, 1890, vol. 7, pp. 357-72.

Wilder, Amos P. “The Municipal Problem: A Plea for Liberty.”

5. MUNICIPAL INDUSTRIES.

Adams, H. C. “Relation of Modern Municipalities to Quasi-Public Works.” Publications of the American Economic Association, vol. 2, 1888.

Allen, Walter S. “The State and the Lighting Corporations.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, March, 1892, vol. 2, pp. 131-9.

Baker, C. W. “Monopolies and the People.” New York, 1889. Chapter 5.

Baker, M. M. “The Manual of American Water Works.” Engineering News Co., N. Y. This trade annual gives for each city date when water works were built; the source and mode of supply; cost, debt, and rate of interest; annual expense and revenue from consumers and the public; the number of miles of pipe and kind of pipe for mains and services; the number of taps, meters, and hydrants; the ordinary and fire pressure and daily consumption. The first works in the United States for public supply were built at Bethlehem, Pa., in 1754. New York was first supplied in 1799, and Philadelphia in 1801. Water in both cities was pumped by steam engines and distributed through bored wooden logs.

Bemis, E. W. “Municipal Ownership of Gas Works in the United States.” Publications of the American Economic Association, vol. 6, 1891.

Bemis, E. W. “Recent Results of Municipal Gas-Making.” Review of Reviews, Jan., 1893, vol. 7, pp. 61-8.

Boston. “Report of Special Committee on Use of Streets by Private Corporations.” City Document 144, September 8, 1890.

Consular Report. “Gas in Foreign Countries.” Washington, 1891. Other consular reports cited under “Foreign Cities.”

Farrer, T. H. “The State in its Relation to Trade.” London, 1883. “English Citizen Series.” Chapter 10 gives a brief discussion of the action of the state in the matter of certain undertakings which are total or partial monopolies.

Finley, Robert J. “Electric Street Lighting in American Cities. The question of municipal vs. private supply.” Review of Reviews, February, 1893, vol. 7, p. 68.

Foote, Allen R. “Municipal Ownership of Industries” and “Municipal Ownership of Quasi-Public Works.” Washington, D. C., 1891. Two pamphlets against public ownership.

Francisco, M. J. “Municipal Lighting.” Rutland, Vermont, 1890. Arguments against public ownership.

Goodwin, W. W. “Directory of the Gas Light Companies.” N. Y., A. M. Callendar & Co. This trade annual gives the number of gas companies, number of public lamps, price of gas, method or manufacture, etc., in the cities of the United States.

James, E. J. “The Relation of the Modern Municipality to the Gas Supply.” Publications of the American Economic Association, vol. 1.

Keeler, Bronson C. “Municipal Control of Gas Works.” Forum, November, 1889.

Mikkelsen, M. A. “Electric Street Lighting in Chicago.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, March, 1892, vol. 2, pp. 139-44.

Powers, Samuel Leland and Schindler, Solomon. “The Use of Public Ways by Private Corporations. A Discussion.” Arena, May, 1892, vol. 5, pp. 681-93.

Sinclair, A. H. “Municipal Monopolies and their Management.” No. 2, Toronto University Studies in Political Science. Toronto, 1891. This is an excellent essay on the relation of cities to water works, gas and electric lighting, and street railways. It may be obtained on application to the Education Department of Ontario.

Sinclair, A. H. “The Toronto Street Railway.” Quarterly Journal of Economics, October, 1891, vol. 6, pp. 98-105.

University of Wisconsin. “Joint Debate on Municipal Ownership and Operation of Lighting Works and Street Railways.” This is a debate by students of the University of Wisconsin, printed in the college paper, “The Ægis,” for March 3, 1893. Arguments for and against public ownership are well stated.

6. VARIOUS TOPICS.

Adams, H. B. “Notes on the Literature of Charities.” Johns Hopkins University Studies in History and Political Science, vol. 5. References on the charities of Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Billings, John S. “Public Health and Municipal Government.” Supplement to the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, February, 1891. Address before the Academy, January 14, 1891.

Clarke, Thomas Curtis. “Rapid Transit in Cities.” Scribner’s Magazine, May and June, 1892, vol. 11, pp. 567-78 and 743-58.

Gould, E. R. L. “Park Areas and Open Spaces in American and European Cities.” Publications of the American Statistical Association, 1888, vol. 1, pp. 49-61.

Holls, F. S. “Compulsory Voting as a means of Correcting Political Abuses.” Annals of the American Academy of Political Science, April, 1891, vol. 1, pp. 586-614.

Philbrick, John D. “City School Systems.” Circular of Information, No. 1, 1885, issued by the National Bureau of Education.

Purroy, H. D. “English and American Fire Services.” Forum, November, 1886, vol. 5, pp. 299-307.

Shaw, Albert. “Municipal Lodging Houses.” Charities Review, No. 1.

Smith, Irwin F. “Influence of Sewerage and Water Supply on the Death-Rate in Cities.” A paper read at a Sanitary Convention in Ypsilanti, Mich., July 1, 1885, and reprinted from a Supplement to the Annual Report of the Michigan State Board of Health for the year 1885. Numerous references in the notes.

Sterne, Simon. “The Greathead Underground Electric Railway.” Forum, August, 1891, vol. 11, p. 683.

Thompson, Clifford. “Waste by Fire.” Forum, September, 1886, vol. 2, pp. 27-39.

Warner, Amos G. “The New Municipal Lodging-House in Washington.” Charities Review, March, 1893.

7. PARTICULAR CITIES.

The municipal reports of American cities form the original material for a study of their government. Many of the papers already cited, especially the Johns Hopkins Studies, relate to particular cities, but have been given above because of their more or less general application. New York is taken as a type of our large cities and a few notes are added upon other cities.

_a. New York._

For a brief account of the system of Government, see the article on “New York,” by E. L. Godkin in the Encyclopædia Britannica, 9th ed., vol. 17. Dr. J. F. Jameson’s “Origin and Development of the Municipal Government of New York City,” Magazine of American History, May and September, 1882, gives a sketch of municipal government down to 1821. A portion of each volume of the Manual of the Corporation (28 v., 1841-71), after that for 1846, is devoted to a history of the city. The volume for 1868 contains a reprint of old charters. The fact that James Parton in October, 1869, North American Review, vol. 103, p. 413, attributed the growing evils in the government of the city to the abolition of household suffrage, is interesting in connection with the recommendation of the Commission of 1877. See also in the North American Review, “The Judiciary of New York,” July, 1867, vol. 105, p. 148, and Charles Nordhoff’s “Misgovernment of New York,” October, 1871, vol. 113, p. 321. An account of the Tweed ring may also be found in the North American Review, in a series of articles by C. F. Wingate, entitled “An Episode in Municipal Government,” beginning in the number for October, 1874, and ending in the number for October, 1876. On the same subject cf. A. H. Green’s “Three Years’ Struggle with Municipal Misrule in New York City, a Report made by the Comptroller to the Board of Aldermen,” February 18, 1875, and S. J. Tilden’s “Municipal Corruption,” Law Magazine and Review, N. S. vol. 2, p. 525, London, 1873. See also Geo. H. Andrews’s Twelve Letters on the Future of New York, N. Y., 1877. The entire second volume of the Statutes of New York for 1882 is devoted to the present charter of the City of New York, or the “Consolidated Act,” as it is called. The Investigation of the Department of Public Works in 1884 was printed in Senate Doc. No. 57, 1884; and the investigation by the committee, of which Theodore Roosevelt was chairman, was reported in Assembly Docs. Nos. 125, 153, and 172, 1884. The Report of the Investigation of the New York Consolidated Gas Company forms Senate Doc. No. 47, 1886. The committee found that in 1883 the gas trust declared dividends of from 23 to 33 per cent. A pamphlet by Wm. M. Ivins on “The Municipal Debt and Sinking Fund of the City of New York” contained an argument on hearing before the Governor, June 2, 1885, and an historical review of the funded debt and of the operation of the sinking-fund since its foundation. Of recent articles on cost and methods of elections cf. W. M. Ivins’s articles cited above; Theodore Roosevelt’s “Machine Politics in New York City” in the Century, November, 1886, vol. 33, p. 74; E. S. Nadal’s “The New York Aldermen” in the Forum, September, 1886, vol. 2, pp. 49-59; Howard Crosby’s “Letter to the People of New York” in the Forum, December, 1886, vol. 2, pp. 420-28; J. B. Bishop’s “Money in City Elections,” an address read before the Commonwealth Club in New York, March 21, 1887, reported in the Evening Post and printed separately; the same writer’s “The Law and the Ballot,” Scribner’s Magazine, February, 1888, vol. 3, p. 194; and the Nation, vol. 44, pp. 180 and 204; A. C. Bernheim’s “Party Organizations and their Nomination to Public Office in New York City” in the Political Science Quarterly, March, 1888, vol. 3, pp. 97-122, and the same writer on “The Ballot in New York” in the Political Science Quarterly, March, 1889, vol. 4, pp. 130-52; and Dr. Shaw’s “Municipal Problems of New York and London” in the Review of Reviews, April, 1892, vol. 5, p. 282.

_b. Other American Cities._

_Boston._--Report of the Commission on the City Charter and Two Minority Reports (Docs. 120, 146, and 147, 1884). The first Report contains an outline of the municipal governments of New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Chicago.

_Philadelphia._--Johns Hopkins Studies cited above; E. V. Smalley’s article on the “Committee of 100” in the Century, July, 1883, vol. 4, p. 395; Publications of the Philadelphia Social Science Association for 1876 and 1877, on the subject of building associations; Henry C. Lea had a “Letter to the People of Philadelphia” in the Forum, January, 1887, vol. 2, pp. 532-8. The reform charter or the “Bullitt Bill,” which went into effect April, 1887, is said to be a model municipal constitution.

_Chicago._--Reports of the Citizen’s Association, beginning in 1874. Ada C. Sweet, on “Chicago City Government” in Belford’s Monthly for November, 1892.

_Charleston._--The Yearbooks contain in the appendices much valuable historical matter. That for 1880 gives a sketch of the development of the city government; that for 1883 a description of the centennial celebration, with an historical review.

_Providence._--Town and City Government in Providence, a Study in Municipal History, by Geo. C. Wilson, Providence, Tibbitts & Preston, 1889.

[Illustration: PLATE I. KANSAS STATE PENITENTIARY--MAIN ENTRANCE.

E. S. Tucker, Phot.]

[Illustration: PLATE II. HORSE COLLAR FACTORY.

E. S. Tucker, Phot.]