The Knave of Jacks Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I miss it, too, Commander." said Tanya, as near to tears as I was. She followed the SBI Agents and their prisoner out the door.

As Lynch got up to go, I twisted the knife further: "Lynch, don't you know by now that I always get it right, I always play it right, and I always win against inferior competition like you?"

Lynch whirled to me, furious, his face a mask of pure 'ugly'. "One day, Troy. One day you will slip up, and I will be there to destroy you. One day, you fucking son of a bitch."

"Ah! ah! Don't be talking about my mother like that." I replied. "Someday you may be the windshield. Today, you are the bug."

Part 15 - Mycroft's Solution

Sunday, September 25th. The Cabin was the scene of an impromptu victory party. Present were: my mother Phyllis, myself, Laura, our children, Molly and the boys, Cindy, Callie Carrington, Teresa, Todd, Wes 'Coldiron' Masters, Tanya and Baby Pete, Jack Muscone, Chief Moynahan, Chief Griswold and his wife, Commissioner Robinson of the Campus Police, and Lt. Bill Hanson of the same Campus Police. And I had invited a special guest: Joe Smedley.

And no family gathering would be complete without Buddy and Bowser. Bowser stayed with Carole, and Buddy stayed with Teresa.

After a good supper of hamburgers, hot dogs, 'fixins', colas, and beer (supplied by Todd), we settled down in the greatroom. "Oh, I get to do it?" Todd asked as Cindy passed him the glass and spoon.

*DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!*

"Okay, Grandma!" Todd said happily. "Tell us how you solved it!" There was an acclaim as everyone turned their eyes to Phyllis.

"Well, I fear that this case is not truly over yet." said my mother. "There are some things being looked into, and Jeremy is brain-dead but not declared dead yet, so it's going to be messy, I suspect."

"Yes ma'am," said Cindy, "but how did you solve it?"

"Oh, that was not too difficult." said Phyllis. "You are all very good Detectives and would've found the solution easily. Fortunately, Lt. Perlman and myself were able to do a little sleuthing over the weekend without the SBI getting in our way, and we were able to make some findings."

Phyllis drank some water and then continued: "The first question in my mind was if this was a group effort by all the cast of this play, or if just one individual had assaulted Jeremy. They all acted as if they were hiding a secret of some kind, but it occurred to me that they all thought they would get in trouble over the sex in the play, not the attack on Jeremy. And some did not even know of the attack on Jeremy at first."

Phyllis went on: "Stella seemed genuinely upset at the Hospital. I have doubts that she would've wanted to keep any secret she knew about someone attacking him. She did not know yet that Jeremy would never recover from his injuries, so she had reason to not come out with the explicit sex information. Young Pam was more interesting as a suspect, but she was always in someone's eyesight, as well as videocameras most of the time, and I really didn't think she had the sheer physical power to deliver a death blow."

"That led to Carl, who definitely was strong enough to kill Jeremy with a blow to the head." Phyllis said. "But Carl didn't know that Jeremy had been attacked, and his body language suggested he was speaking the truth on that. He also presented me with some good arguments on why he would have no motive to kill Jeremy, and I doubt he would've so gleefully boasted about cuckolding Jeremy if he was the killer."

"Could've just been a ruse." said Teresa.

"Yes, it could've been." said Phyllis. "But there were other reasons to believe he was not the one. He was on top of Stella, having sex with her, when Jeremy came in and caught them... yet he made no move to get off Stella. He could've gotten up and attacked Jeremy right then; instead, he chose to keep her from getting up for a few moments. I found those actions to be interesting, in that they were not the actions of a would-be killer."

"But moving on," Phyllis said, "it was really Ken who was the only one that had no alibis for some crucial times. He claimed to have gone to his dorm room to get money before joining the others at the bar; ergo, he was alone for a period of time. And if anyone had motive to stop Jeremy from telling the world about the live sex at the theater, it would be Ken."

"And that led to the one giveaway by Ken." said Phyllis. "When we interrogated him, he said he did not try to call Jeremy because Jeremy did not have his cellphone. Now Jeremy did own a cellphone, so how would Ken know it was not on him? Because Ken searched Jeremy's body after hitting him and could not find it." There were murmurs of understanding.

"So I tried a trap." continued Phyllis. "We put out word that Jeremy's cellphone was missing. I expected Ken to come and try to find it, but it turns out he was in your jails, having been arrested for trying to flee the County. But we did bag Brett Snow of the student newspaper, who was seeking the cellphone for the opposite reason from Ken... Snow wanted to expose the nature of the play."

"Is there enough here to convict him? Ken, that is?" asked Jack Muscone.

"With the tire iron, there is." I said. "We were a bit lucky on that. Judge Watts allowed a search warrant of Ken's dorm on the probable cause of Ken fleeing the jurisdiction after being the most likely suspect, and us being able to show some gaps in his whereabouts. If Ken had had a competent lawyer instead of Epstein when y'all first talked to him, I am not sure we get that."

"Still, it was good enough." said Tanya. "And 'Detective Troy' did a fabulous job running him down." There were acclaims of agreement, and applause.

Then Carole waddled over to Phyllis and shouted "You're awesome, Grandma!" That got more cheers as Phyllis proudly picked up her granddaughter and gave her a big hug.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As people were talking after Mycroft's explanation, Cindy, Teresa, Todd, and Wes Masters were grouped around Callie Carrington.

"Oh, it was soooo exciting." said Callie. "But I have to say, it's fun when I can do it just once. You guys have to do this every day. So here's to what you all do." Everyone clinked glasses and plastic cups and drank to the toast.

"You did a great job, Callie." said Teresa. "I dunno about Eddy, but you kept your wits and got you and him out of that trap."

"Aww, thanks!" replied Callie with a beautiful smile. "So, Cindy, can you get me a job on your Police Force, working for the Iron Crowbar?"

"Be careful what you wish for." Cindy replied. "With our personnel shortages, I'm halfway inclined to take you in."

"That makes one of us." said a voice. It was me, Your Iron Crowbar, coming up to them. "You did great, Callie, but, so sorry, you'd be bored with real policework. Not to mention the distraction that you would be to your bosses, especially me." Callie laughed out loud.

"You're probably right, Mr. Crowbar." Callie said. "But you could handle me."

"Ha!" I replied with a grin. "But seriously, I need to talk to my Vice Lieutenant for a moment. Teresa, if you'll come with me..." I led Teresa into the sanctum of my private office...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sun had set and it was almost dark of night as the party was wrapping up. After my conversation with Teresa, she went onto the back deck. Sitting there, wrapped up against the beginnings of the Autumn chill, was Joe Smedley.

"Ah, hello, my Police Cross friend." Joe said in a friendly manner. "Come have a seat." Teresa sat down beside him on the metal loveseat, wrapping her own blanket around her legs.

"I suppose you know," said Smedley, "that the Iron Crowbar asked me to speak with you, and to tell you what I told him when he was in the Hospital after defeating Westboro."

"Yes sir." said Teresa.

"I know about your past." said Smedley. "I'll start by telling mine. When I was young, I had a very abusive father. Very abusive, if you know what I mean. I ran away from home three times, and finally on the third try, Child Protective Services, which is a misnomer if ever there was one, didn't send me back. I was put in foster homes, and a couple of them were as bad as my father."

Smedley went on: "I somehow managed to survive, and I got into the Police Academy, where I found a real family. But I still had a lot of bad stuff in my head, and I felt like my felt like my life was worth nothing. So when the dangerous missions came up, I was always in front, taking the risks and the bullets."

"For a while," Smedley continued, "I was thought of as a hero, and a brave police officer. And when I was on those missions, the pain of my life went away, and just that lack of pain was like a drug, an addiction."

"Then..." said Smedley, "... I went too far. Chief Griswold got his Medal of Valor by saving my life, and the lives of others, after I'd gotten in too deep and endangered everyone. No one outright blamed me, but the Police psychologists were called in. And they figured me out fast; they said I was essentially trying to end my life through my job, like a samurai on a fatal mission."

"Yes." said Teresa. "I can understand how you feel."

"Yes, you can." said Joe. "Which is why we're talking now. For me, it ended with me being transferred to the Fire Department, where I continued to take risks. Sure I saved lives, but I wasn't heeding the fact that my heroics might put others in danger. Eventually, they forced me to retire, especially when my body couldn't take it anymore."

"I also told the Commander," said Smedley, "that he had one thing I never had: children. And I told him to put them first. Children will change your perspective. Now it might not be my business to say this, but that's never stopped me before: have you ever thought of having children, Ms. Croyle?"

"I thought about it." said Teresa. "But if you know about what happened with my father, you'll understand why I never really cared to continue his bloodline."

"Understandable." said Smedley. "Of course, your father took care of you and did not harm you, which I cannot say about my father. And just between you and me, for your ears alone... I could never have children. I always had bad problems when trying to have sex, thanks to my brutal childhood.

Smedley went on: "You may not realize that they called in the best sex psychiatrist in the nation to work with me. She was working at another school, and it was the first time she came to the University here. She liked this place so much that after her sabbatical to Europe with her then-husband, she came back here and took a job. And it's a small world: she later met and married a man that we both look up to, and they had some great children."

"Unfortunately, not even the renowned Dr. Fredricson could cure me." Smedley said. "But you, Teresa, you've got a lot of love in your heart. You showed it with that little girl last Christmas. And it hurt us all when she died too soon, but she died with your love supporting her. I hope you won't let that pain stop you from sharing your wonderful heart with others... and maybe having some children of your own. Children will give you a new perspective on life..." Teresa nodded.

"So, my friend," Smedley finished, "I hope you'll take some advice from someone who has been there before... stop collecting Purple Orders, value your life like I never valued mine, and don't make the Iron Crowbar have to ground you... or bury you. Those people in there love you, and they deserve to have you alive and working with them."

Teresa nodded. "Thank you, sir." Whether Smedley's talk had helped, she didn't know. But she realized she was not alone in being in pain. And like Smedley before her, when she led the way into danger, that pain went away, if for only a brief time...

Part 16 - Legal Hoops

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 26th. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police made several arrests in a raid upon a gambling ring in the north part of Town on Saturday night!"

"Several persons were arrested and charged with felony weapons charges." continued Bettina. "But sources tell Channel Two News that not all went well, and some of the criminal leadership got away. An official Police statement only said that the Police were continuing to pursue leads in bringing down this crime ring. And now let's go to Sports, with Nick Eastwood. Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Nick Eastwood, from in front of County High School. "It's a big game for the Booker T. Washington High Kings at the County High Falcons Friday night! Benjamin 'Benny' Hill has the Kings undefeated and rolling, and they have their first chance in years to crush County High and take the Region, with their sights set on the State title!..."

"Not a word from Bettina about Jeremy and that arrest?" asked Cindy as we sipped coffee in MCD with our Detectives. I had supplied doughnuts, and the room was quiet as Detectives stuffed their faces with sugary products.

"Yeah, I was just thinking about that." I said. "Something must be up." Just then, Paulina Patterson came into MCD, carrying our baby daughter Tasha. Everyone brightened up at the presence of the cute baby.

"Don," said Paulina quietly as Tasha was held and adored by Joanne Warner, "can we talk in your office? You too, Cindy..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As I fed Tasha a bottle while sitting in my 'Command Chair' behind my desk, Paulina told Cindy and me about the issues at hand.

"First," Paulina said, "a State Attorney has muscled his way in on this case, and taken it from us."

"Can he do that?" I asked. "It's State Superior Court, and all such Courts in every county have that same standing. What makes this guy special?"

"It's complex." said Paulina. "You're right about the Courts, but Krasney is still this County's D.A., and I'm an A.D.A, and we're considered County level in the Courts and only work in Courts in this County... unless there is a change of venue and a jury is seated in another county, and we go there to try the case. A State Attorney can be an attorney in any county in the State, and usually represents the entire State in a case. Usually this happens in multi-county drug operations."

"So why here? and this case?" Cindy asked. "Because it was on University property?"

"That's their claim." said Paulina. "But I think it's more than that, and there's something going on. Here's another thing: Lynch was all ready to cut a deal. We were floating 25-to-life with possibility of parole in exchange for a full confession of guilt, and Lynch was pushing for second degree and 20 years with parole in as little as six. I was halfway ready to take it, and I'll tell you why in a minute, but then I got a phone call telling me not to cut any deals yet.

"It came from a burner phone, and I have no idea who was on the other end. But in taking the call, I realized the Lynch was acting strange, even for him. Pushing for 2nd degree was risky, but he was doing it... and then I realized that Jeremy wasn't officially dead yet, and any discussion of the whole thing was moot. So I broke off talks to confer more with Krasney on where we legally stood, and he thinks we have to wait until Jeremy's condition is resolved."

"I think he's right." I said. "So what else?"

"Second," said Paulina, "there is one thing you are careful to do that your mother is not, and that is to make sure to have a case that will fly in Court. Solving it is one thing, but you, Don, remember that a Court case and conviction is needed. I think your mom forgot that. Yes, she and Tanya both heard him say that about Jeremy not having his cellphone, but that won't fly at all, and especially with Lynch fighting you like hell as if his children's lives are staked on it. If it had not been for finding that tire iron, and for you working the 'probable cause' angle on it first..."

"Yeah, I know." I said. "And Captain Ross, we need to do a better job training all our Auxiliary people on evidence collection and preservation, and the legal process in all that." Cindy nodded and made a note in her notebook.

"Also," said Paulina, "it has come to the State Attorney's attention that blood samples from Jeremy were taken at the Hospital and are being run by the State Crime Lab... at the request of your mother. He's trying to get those samples or reports on them, but Lt. Perlman stopped him cold, saying they are evidence in her custody and the tests will be completed before anything is relinquished. That could hurt our case: Lynch might claim the drugs killed Jeremy, not the blow to the head."

"Yes, that is true." I said. "But my mother was not wrong to ask for those blood samples. She is seeing something far ahead, something I am beginning to see but am slower than her in putting it together. I was struggling to get my arms around it, but this State Attorney coming in in the first place, and knowing so much about what is going on, and with Ferrell having tried to stop the initial investigation... yeah, there's something going on..."

I went into a reverie. When I came out, I looked down at my baby daughter and said "Tasha, have you figured this out for your daddy yet?" Tasha grinned and cooed.

Part 17 - Epilogue

Having given Tasha back to her mother, who went to her own office, I told Cindy to cancel the Crowbar-level meeting. "I want to watch Priya's newscast." I said. "You may join me if you like."

At 8:00am we watched: "This is Priya Ajmani, Five-Alive News in the Morning!" shouted the beautiful Indian reporterette. Cindy's ice blue eyes sparkled as she watched.

Priya shouted from in front of the Courthouse: "Over the weekend, a young man, whose identity has not been released but his first name is known to be 'Jeremy', was attacked and his head crushed in with a tire iron. Doctors at University Hospital have pronounced Jeremy brain-dead, and his parents came to Court this morning to file the legal papers to declare him dead and turn off the machinery keeping him alive."

"However, there is a new development!" cried Priya. "A group calling itself the 'State Right to Life Committee', a rabidly anti-abortionist group, has filed suit, claiming that Jeremy's right to live is not being represented! They are demanding that the Court enjoin the parents and hospital from cutting off the machinery keeping Jeremy alive!..."

Pieces of the puzzle started crashing in my mind. I turned to Cindy and said "Now we know..."

Finis... for now.

12