The Lampwatcher Ch. 06

Story Info
The aftermath and the start of something new for John.
827 words
4.34
1.8k
4

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/02/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Lampwatcher Chapter 6

By Aersnow96

***Just a short transition chapter as John enters a new phase in his life.

The cold slithering grip tightened around him, making it too hard to breathe and too late for escape. Why wasn't he moving? How long had he been stuck here? He squirmed trying to break free from whatever it was that held him. The more he moved, the tighter it came. One arm was got caught underneath the tightening coil and breathing was becoming more and more difficult. With one free hand, he beated clawed, just anything to stop this crushing grip.

Like a serpent's coil crushing his bones, it was thick as a tree-trunk. He got the impression that it was a massive tail of some horrific beast.

He had so much to live for, things he has not even felt. The world outside of the village. The warmth of a woman's touch.

He looked down, the doom drove all hope away. What greeted him was the widening terrible maw of a hundred sharp teeth closing around him.

He waited and closed his eyes at the coming pain.

John screamed as he woke up from the darkness. Everything was lit under the bright shine of the sun. He had to cover up his eyes at the glare of it.

And then the memories of the night came rushing back to him, hitting him like e rampaging bull. He put his hands beneath him and tried to push - -

"GAHH!" John sprung up from his dream.

Pain unlike anything he had ever felt surged through his ribs.

"Ah, finally, he wakes" it took a bit too realize that the woman was sitting behind him.

"As well as it can be. With a monster like that, well....I suppose I should be grateful I am alive now." she looked to say more but hesitated. Her face seemed unaccustomed to this sort of begging look.

"My life is indebted to you, young man." She finally added with great hesitation. At any other day he would have relegated at such words. But he didn't care for it now. Just for the pain to go away.

"It's morning already?"

"Past noon actually, you have been out for some time,"

"Haven't slept...in two days, I think,"

"by the by, name's John madame,"

"Lettie....?"

"Just Lettie."

He so wanted to sleep and he nearly did. Eyes wanting to close, futile fighting the drowse that was sorely needed by his body. He'd open them full only for it to be weighed down.

For a brief moment, he caught glimpse of the sun. The sun he wondered. How little light he had. Every moment he must cherish those time in the light until the night finally covered much of the land. On the day he must rest. He had learn this much fro, his grandmother. Get as much asleep as you can. Be it small or barely none at all.

Sleep was close at hand, but one last string kept him afloat in his mind, how long did he have?

He willed himself, merely remembering the stinking putrid breathe of the beast and he didn't want to be caught out here in the open.

"We need.....-"he tried to catch his breath, to lessen the pain, ".....We need to leave." He didn't want to be caught out here in the dark, especially in the condition he was in.

"We need to leave. YOU need to leave the ravine."

"I never got to thank you properly," John was uncomfortable with her gaze. Almost as if she didn't want to be saved by him. It wasn't hatred in her eyes more along discomfort, as if she wasn't in this position before.

"I was taught never to be indebted to anyone," John didn't care. He needed to be back at his post.

"But I am staying."

The utterance of those words stopped the pain for almost a second. John looked at the woman with absolutely incredulity.

"Are you MAD!?"

"We barely survive that thing and you want to stay?"

"I am not running away from this fight."

"A fight that you will, without a doubt lose and lose horribly."

And then he looked at her, really looked at her. Her eyes had that shook, small her breathing was a calm and steady and set stood proud. Too proud and too rigid. As if she was stuck in some faraway memory. A quick glance to her hand showed it shaking.

"You wish to repay your debt? I need help."

You are a far better combatant than I am. And I am injured. You need a place to stay yes? Swindlecotte needs another fusilier. I am swamped out here all by myself.

She finally nodded.

A small weight was lifted from his chest.

"Good, I'll help you scavenge what can still be used. Then we need to get out of here."

They don't have long, not long at all.