The Last Flowers Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Aster." Rozenwild went to meet her.

"I don't mind staying," Aster said.

Rozenwild took her wrist. "Please watch over her for me."

Aster nodded.

Flora tried to look at Abelia, who was staring at her feet. "What are you going to do?"

"If everyone else is going..."

"Would you like to go too?"

Abelia bunched her lips. "It's boring here."

Flora chuckled and stroked her hair.

"I can stay if you want company. Amaranth can too." Hevani looked over her shoulder and reached out her hand for the nymph.

"It's fine. You two go." Flora squished Abelia's cheeks and kissed her forehead. "And I will see you later, little leaf."

Rozenwild sauntered over to Evadne. "That just leaves you, peach."

Evadne didn't know what to choose. She felt less welcome in a large group and she didn't feel like having them all mock her again. She knew Sae would be nice to her, but everyone would be all over her because she was ill. Her eyes flickered to Laceleaf.

Rose didn't miss it. "You want to stay with Lace? You can stay." Her voice was kind and encouraging.

Evadne stood near her while the group split and half of them ventured into the trees. Laceleaf didn't even wait for them to be gone before taking off to patrol the area. Maybe Evadne would have been better off going with the others after all.

***

Evadne missed having a fire, a central beacon of warmth to watch. Without it, she was forced to stare at the dirt or her companions, none of whom were doing anything of particular interest. Flora was meditating and the lovers were snuggled against a tree. Rozenwild's curled fingers steadily stroked Kerensa's ear. It looked like it would feel nice.

Flora stretched and opened her eyes. They settled on Rose and she smiled. "They have cute ears, don't they?"

Rose grinned. "I love their ears."

Evadne rocked onto her knees and crawled over to the blueberry bush Flora had replenished for their lunch. While she was there, Laceleaf returned from her latest fire check and knelt in the dirt opposite Flora. Evadne finished filling her palm and reversed into a spot near her. As she plopped her butt down the nymph stiffened.

"No need to panic. She's not made of fire," Rozenwild said.

Laceleaf scowled at her. Evadne was confused. What about her could possibly unsettle someone so brave? She knew Laceleaf didn't hate her. The nymph had built her a nice house. And she'd done her hair. You had to like someone at least a little to do that.

When Laceleaf got up and started in the direction of the river, Evadne decided to go after her. She kept such a distance between them that at one point she thought she'd lost her. But she found her again, hunched on the bank, scooping water to her mouth. Laceleaf heard her coming and watched as Evadne sat about a metre away. Her face was hard to read.

"Is that an annoyed expression?"

Laceleaf pressed her lips together. "No, I'm merely a little anxious."

Evadne cocked her head. "I'm nothing to warrant that reaction. You've seen how weak I am. Physically and mentally."

"No one here thinks you're weak. You have inner strength and resilience greater than most," Laceleaf said, firm and sincere. The praise made Evadne glad, even if it was an exaggeration. Laceleaf's eyes shifted from her hands to the water. "It's not you. It's...something within myself that unsettles me."

Evadne gave her a pitying look, thinking she'd elaborate, but she didn't and Evadne knew not to ask. "I haven't thanked you, for helping me in the town."

A smile darted across her lips. "You did well. You kept your head and confronted your fears with courage."

"You were amazing, a fearless warrior."

Laceleaf looked dumbfounded and embarrassed by the compliment. "I...I simply did what needed to be done. I will not tolerate a threat to the tribe or any one of its members."

Evadne grinned. "You broke my father's arm."

Her eyes softened. "He wanted to hurt you."

"It was very endearing."

Laceleaf stared at her, before turning her head away. She swung her legs out from under her and dipped them in the water. It felt dismissive and Evadne was a little hurt.

"Will you do my hair again?" she asked, hoping to get her attention back.

Laceleaf exhaled sharply. "If you insist."

Why had she pulled out that attitude? What had Evadne done this time that was so vexing? Honestly, the fact people found her irritating was irritating in itself!

"If you didn't want to you only had to say so." Evadne jumped up and stormed away. Part way back she passed Rozenwild. The nymph saw her fuming expression and slowed.

"Everything okay?"

"It's fine."

Rose let out an agitated growl and took off at a brisk pace towards the river. Evadne snuck after her out of curiosity. She was always wanted to know what people said about her.

~

~*~:~*#L#*~:~*~

A cold, restless feeling brewed inside Laceleaf's stomach. She hadn't meant to be that apathetic. If she was thinking clearly, she might have seen that response coming. Evadne no longer saw her as a threat. Of course she wasn't going to shrink away anymore. It seemed a bit of an overreaction on Evadne's behalf however. She must have really wanted her hair done.

Laceleaf stood up and dusted herself off. She needed a walk to think, but that would have to wait. Rozenwild was coming her way, her face full of questions.

"You unleashed the shrew."

Laceleaf groaned. "Not on purpose."

She came to a stop and crossed her arms. "What happened?"

Laceleaf wasn't entirely sure. And saying anything would be admitting her issues were currently causing her distress.

"Did she do something that upset you?" Rozenwild prompted.

"No." Laceleaf straightened and composed herself. "She's physically attracted to me and I don't want it to develop into more than that. It would be cruel to let her entertain notions that aren't going to come to pass."

"I asked you to do my hair, not marry me!" Evadne shouted, leaning out from behind a tree. "Stupid plant witch."

Laceleaf stared at her, stunned. She turned to Rozenwild. "What did she call me?"

Rose grimaced at the raging creature. "Probably should have just done her hair."

Evadne came out into the open, sneer plastered on her face, eyes glaring with fury. "I'm not supposed to call myself a harlot, yet you treat me like one. You'll screw me, but refuse to speak to me. All I wanted was for you to be nice to me like yesterday." She marched away in a huff.

Laceleaf felt awful for her. She also wanted to ball her fists and scream with frustration, shout horrible things at Rose, and drop to the ground with her face in her palms. She didn't know which to do, so she stood completely still and let the feelings swirl around inside her. Part of her wanted to be kind to Evadne, but something in her objected to her very presence. It was an ugly twisted thing that crept around in her mind. It was usually dormant, only rearing its head at bad memories or when confronted with that awful axe. But since yesterday, it had been sneaking through her and digging its claws into her flesh.

Rozenwild sighed and put her hands on her hips. "She's right. You can't expect her to react well to that. I know you're not keen on taking a mate, but you can't pretend the elhuvens don't exist. They're part of the tribe."

"I know."

Rozenwild stepped towards her and raised her arms. Laceleaf hunched up at her touch, but Rose wrestled herself around her and hung on tight. "You need to talk to Flora."

She let go and they walked together to the campsite. There was no sign of Evadne, much to Laceleaf's relief.

"Do you have a moment?" Rozenwild asked Flora. She tilted her head in Laceleaf's direction. "She could use a chat."

Laceleaf wanted to glare at her for speaking on her behalf, but Rose wasn't looking at her. She didn't deserve it either. She was only trying to help.

Flora glided over and took Laceleaf's hand. "Come with me, flower."

She took her on a stroll through the forest, not saying anything, just admiring the scenery. They came upon the enormous trunk of an ancient tree and she directed Laceleaf to sit at its base with her.

"This is about Evadne, isn't it?" She massaged her palm. "Your energy is so turbulent. I thought you enjoyed her company yesterday."

"I suppose."

Flora's gaze shifted to their connected hands. "Why does that make you anxious?"

"I don't know. I feel like I can't let her get close."

Flora made a sad sound and rested her chin on Laceleaf's shoulder. She reached her long fingers up to touch Laceleaf's cheek. "I can try to soothe you if you'd like me to bed you?"

Laceleaf nodded. She didn't feel like it, but she knew it would help.

Flora climbed over Laceleaf's knee to kneel between her legs. Her soft lips kissed her, slow and sweet, while her hand slid down her front, coming to rest between her thighs. "Let go of everything. Focus on the earth against your skin." She moved her mouth lower, leaving little kisses down her throat. "Breathe. Feel the energy flowing through you."

Laceleaf inhaled, tuning her attention to the feeling of it. A finger brushed her labia, feather-light and tickling. It teased her entrance with tiny circles, dipping inside, before sliding out to dance across her petals once more. Flora guided her onto her back and held her hips. A jolt of excitement ran through Laceleaf as she felt the tip of her root spreading her hole. It sank into the depths of her neglected passage and began to swell. The slow and rhythmic thrusts that followed had an instant calming effect. Flora stroked Laceleaf's face and kissed her forehead.

"All these things that hurt you, they're also restraining you. Cut them away and step out from within them. Leave them behind like a cocoon and be free."

~

~*~:~*#E#*~:~*~

It took Evadne a long time to return to the campsite. She needed to go somewhere to cool down, but she didn't want to go too far and get lost. Then the nymphs would have to come find her. Laceleaf would tell her she was brash and heedless. Evadne would call her a callous dolt and the whole thing would start over.

Kerensa carefully waved to her so as not to disturb her girlfriend, who was taking a nap on her shoulder. There was no sign of anyone else. Evadne collapsed by the blueberry bush so she could try to entertain herself with food. A giggle interrupted her snacking a little while later. Rozenwild was awake and whispering something to her lover. Kerensa climbed on top of her and kissed her rather passionately. It was making Evadne disturbingly envious. She busied herself hunting for the last of the berries and tried to ignore them. It meant she didn't notice the two missing nymphs until they were within speaking range.

"Did you have a nice talk?" Rozenwild asked.

"Reasonably pleasant," Laceleaf replied.

Rose eyed her groin and met Flora's gaze. "I see you fucked some calm into her."

Flora gave her a look. "Really, Rozenwild."

That's what they were doing? While Evadne was off sulking, Laceleaf was delighting herself with Flora and not thinking about her at all. She didn't care that she'd upset Evadne.

Unable to mask her dour expression, she hid her face and covertly spied on the nymph. Amber sap was oozing down her thigh. She must be covered with it under those leaves. Her cunt was full of Flora's thick and sickly honey. Evadne let her eyes blur. She felt clammy and too warm. Kerensa wasn't the only one still dealing with the effects of the hex tree.

"Are you out of berries?" Flora said, taking in the state of the bush.

"I can grow some more for you," Laceleaf said.

Evadne scuttled away, flipping herself around so she could take off into the trees. She heard Flora ask if she should go after her, but was too far any to hear any response. Her feet took her to the crooked tree she'd found earlier and she swiftly scaled the trunk. She was good at climbing trees. It was always fun to climb the fruit trees in the orchard when she was younger. She wanted that playful side of herself back.

Evadne made herself comfortable in a cradle of branches. Her hand slipped under her dress to stroke her clit, but all she could think of was Laceleaf and her filthy thighs.

"Urgh! Insensitive whore." She placed her hands behind her head and swung her legs.

Did Flora know Laceleaf upset her? Surely not, or she would have been mediating instead of copulating. But Rose knew. She even commented about Flora fucking calm into her. But...did that mean it was therapeutic? Flora's relaxation sessions were astonishing. And the nymphs could send soothing energy during sex. That made more sense. It was a bit unfair though. Why would Flora spend time with Laceleaf when Evadne was the one who was distressed? Was there something troubling her? Is that why she was acting the way she was?

Unless she wanted to disappear forever into the Darklands, returning was unavoidable. It was fine until she could see everyone watching her coming. Flora said something and nudged Laceleaf insistently. With some reluctance, Laceleaf stood up and walked towards Evadne, face impassive. Not wanting her to get close, Evadne veered sharply to the left. She heard Laceleaf huff out an exasperated breath.

"Go after her," Flora said.

"That will only irk her further," Laceleaf replied, but she was quickly on her heels. She shot in front of Evadne and cut her off. "Stop." Her expression became kinder. "Please, sit."

Evadne did as she said, glaring at her the whole time. Laceleaf circled around her, lowering herself to her knees. A willowy hand appeared beside Evadne's thigh, spreading out an assortment of reeds and flowers. Something touched her head and raked through her hair. Evadne sat dumbfounded as the nymph combed the knots free.

"I'm sorry," Laceleaf said quietly. She'd split her fingers into tiny twigs and they felt glorious on her scalp. "It was rude of me to snub you as I did."

"Why did you do it then?"

It took her a long time to answer. "A lot of things have been happening that feel out of my control. It makes me uneasy and I let my insecurities control my behaviour."

"Did Flora help?"

"Yes. She thinks seeing an axe awakened some memories that might have heightened my anxiety. But that's no excuse for rebuffing any creature who tries to befriend me."

Evadne had wondered if that had anything to do with it.

"I do the same thing. It became habit somewhere along the way."

"Yet you wanted to talk to me?"

"You treated my wounds and did my hair. It was nice being cared for. No one's done that for a long time."

Laceleaf started braiding by her ear. "You could do a lot better than me for company, you know."

"Probably. You don't have to do my hair if you don't want to."

Laceleaf kept going, selecting a blue chicory flower from her pile and fixing it in place. "Why did you avoid me just now?"

"I didn't want to fight with you. You looked angry and you were being unpredictable. You're usually very predictable. I like that about you."

She was supposed to be mad at her still, but she couldn't bring herself to feel much ill towards Laceleaf. Despite everything, she wanted the nymph to like her. There was so much about her to admire. She was powerful and confident, yet she didn't use that to control others. Her manner was often blunt, but she looked out for everyone, and she was kind when it mattered. Not to mention she was enchanting to look upon, a sublime creature. Everything about her was pale and frosty, as if she really were a siren of the snow. All Evadne had seen of snow was caps on distance mountains, but it sounded magical and that fit Laceleaf perfectly.

Oh, bollocks. Look how whimsical she was getting. There had always been a physically pull, but it was obvious that she now liked Laceleaf in a more-than-friends way. No wonder she'd been so hurt by her rejection. How could she stop it? There wasn't any point feeling this way if the nymph didn't want her. But it would be so nice if she did. Evadne remembered what it was like with Sae. Not knowing it was possible, neither of them had been able to see it at the time, but the feeling was a sweet and warm melody that played inside her being. It was something less than love, something in its infancy that never got the chance to become anything more. Evadne wanted to know what happened when it did.

~

~*~:~*#K#*~:~*~

Half way through the next day, the nymphs finally agreed the coals posed no threat. They could sense rain coming in the evening that would cool what remained. Kerensa walked at Rose's side, happy to be on the move at last. Flora and Laceleaf shared the lead, with Evadne hanging close by. Everyone was getting along for the time being. For once, it appeared Evadne's tenacity wasn't to blame, although it can't have helped the situation. Laceleaf had calmed her down with a head full of blue flowers and the two of them had been civil ever since.

Their arrival was no surprise. They'd been sensed from a long way off. Dendelyn and Abelia came to usher them along. Others greeted them as they came into the camp. The new bloom tried to be one of them, hurriedly crawling towards them. Cute as the nymph was, Kerensa's first thought was to check on Sarielle. She didn't expect to find her friend in a hole. Someone had excavated a bed for her, with a sloping back so she could prop herself up to see what was going on. Ellowyn was next to her, looking almost as dejected as when they'd left. Sarielle smiled at the incoming party.

"How are you feeling?" Kerensa asked, crouching at her level.

"A little brighter."

Baby Petals zoomed over and planted herself next to them. "Eh-lo."

Kerensa smiled at her. "Hello, aren't you getting fast?" The nymph crawled over to Rose, who bent to kiss her forehead. "How long until she can walk?" Kerensa asked Ellowyn.

"A few days. We've been holding her up so she can get used to taking steps."

"I'll show you!" Dendelyn said, running over to Petals. She grabbed the shocked woman under the arms and lifted her onto her feet. "That's it," she cooed, gripping her arms to keep her balanced. Petals tentatively shuffled a foot forward, leaning heavily into Dendelyn. "You're getting so good."

The tribe watched her toddle with painful slowness. She was starting to find her rhythm though and it was heartening to see her making progress.

Kerensa bumped Ellowyn. "She'll be springing about the place in no time."

Rose pressed herself against Kerensa's back and kissed behind her ear. "I'm stealing you away."

She smiled at her and reached for her hand. "Okay."

Their slow walk meandered through the forest, taking them deep into and area thick with trees. The canopy was so dense it blocked most of the sun, casting everything in a green light. Moss covered the tree trunks and the lush undergrowth came up to her waist in some places.

"It's so dark here," she mumbled.

Rozenwild cocked her head. "You find that unsettling."

"I'm not scared, but it is a little eerie, like somewhere you'd expect bloodcurdling creatures to be lurking, just waiting to get you."

"Like me?"

Kerensa giggled. "Yes."

Rozenwild untangled herself from Kerensa and bolted, disappearing behind a tree. Kerensa ran after her, but she was already gone when she got there.

"Rose?" She turned around, scanning the trees. "Very funny." She tried to sense her lover, but it wasn't much help. Rose was so fast and Kerensa was clumsy on the damp, uneven ground. Her hands rested on her hips and she sighed. A shadow flashed at her side and she was engulfed in a tight hold. It startled her and she let out a loud squeal that turned into a laugh.

"Got you." Rozenwild hissed in her ear. She took her by the arm and tugged her along. "Now I will drag you to my lair to do terrible things to you."

Kerensa stumbled over a tree root. "What kind of things?"