All Comments on 'The Last Ride'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 161 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
THE LAST RIDE OF THE GYPSY VALKYRIES

to go out as she lived, TK U MLJ LV NV

DominantYetServile22DominantYetServile22over 5 years ago

Now that's the best story I've read in the LW section in a long, long time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

Damn! you guys are good..Thanks again 5*

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

That was such a great story! Age catching up with such a vibrant person like that was tragic, but you handled the whole thing beautifully... Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well Done!

As a rule I hate sharing stories, because they are BullShit (as a rule)...

Well, there is an exception to most of things in life and you have done it!

Again... Well Done. 5

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 5 years ago
Separating the wheat from the chaff

Todd is all wheat and has become one of the best story tellers on this site. This was a touching story! Thanks.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 5 years ago
Tender mayhem

Nobody does it better. Hell, they can't even hold a candle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thank you.

Without a doubt the best story I've read to date on this site. Wish there was a 10 rating.

stev2244stev2244over 5 years ago

This is going to be one of my all-time favorites here, Todd.

dinkymacdinkymacover 5 years ago
Just a Great story!

Thanks for sharing.

kiteareskitearesover 5 years ago
Now I remember why I added you to my favourites

My only thing, I'm sure I've heard of a Timberwolves MC, but coming from the UK it may be they are only this side of the pond. It's also been 20 years since I put my leathers up, so they may have faded into myth too.

Sidney43Sidney43over 5 years ago

Damn you can write. Five stars, wish there were more.

Crazy2WheelerCrazy2Wheelerover 5 years ago
Always great work

As a too old, too physically torn up guy to ride bikes anymore I can really get with this particular offering. With "used ta could" as my mantra every time I visit my Docs at the VA, it's nice to read quality work that gives me pause to have flashbacks.

BRAVO!!!

Lord_GroLord_Groover 5 years ago
Not your usual, clearly.

But it's a damned fine story. 5*

cordialddcordialddover 5 years ago
cut deep from the first...

helluva way to start the morning. Thanks for every ride.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Excellent!

I had the pleasure of getting an early read on this.

Minor point, @Powersworder, it wasn't age catching up to her, it was cancer.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 5 years ago
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!

You took a theme that I hate, two unlikable characters, and wrote one fricken fantastic story! How the hell do you tear up over a motorcycle gang enforcer with a bunch of kills under his belt and his stoned drunk of an old lady? Yet that's exactly what happened. Great writing, great story! I wish I could give it more than 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow

I will have to read this three times to fully appreciate the writing, but five stars from me after the first trip through. Thanks for the free read.

patilliepatillieover 5 years ago
You are a great writer

and would have to be to get me to care at all for a biker whore addict. Just feel people get what they deserve for the most part, and her death despite your good writing just didnt have the impact it would if it was a character I cared about.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
As good as ever

Takes a long time to get it right, but you are certainly worth the wait.

Raleigh13

tangledweedtangledweedover 5 years ago
Master of the malevolent

Todd172 has a way of making his larger than life characters feel naturally real, despite their extreme propensity for violence. You can't help but buy in and go along for the ride.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Another great story

Look for your work every time. Thank you for sharing.

Dick

AffecteffectAffecteffectover 5 years ago
Good story, bad memories

I knew a bitch like that, always starting trouble at every opportunity.

Gas, grass, or ass.

Admiralbird348Admiralbird348over 5 years ago
Always great!!

Thanks Todd:) as everyone says, you are in a league of your own. I always learn something about the world and myself when I read your stories. I wish you could experience just how much your writing means to all of us!

Best wishes you you and your family:)

Ed

newtinmplsnewtinmplsover 5 years ago
Wow

I'd love to make some articulate and philosophically poignant comment about the awesomeness of .... everything here.

But heck, if you got far enough to read the comments, you know how good it is. I won't say was.

If I can remember them, they aren't gone.

Rocket081960Rocket081960over 5 years ago
Great writing!

I enjoy your work. Thank you!

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 5 years ago
This one should be made into a movie...

Would make a great R-rated flick. Even has a great title for it. Five stars ain't enough. Holly Hunter could play Gypsy (watch the first season of Saving Grace if you don't believe me) and Sam Elliot as the older Iceman). Wish I had the money I would produce it.

ender2k2kender2k2kover 5 years ago
Never disappointed.

Great story with characters that feel real. Even though I have never met anyone like them. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
So where are all the "Fag cuck shit" comments?

Seems like they would follow a story where a guy lost his old lady to another pussy, no?

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 5 years ago
I agree

this would make a great movie. They could flash back to the Ice Man and Gypsy meeting in Sturgis, a few of the fights and events and then come back to real time. And then go back and forth again. I've always enjoyed your "Shack" stories but this one belongs right up there with the best of them. A novel way to share. No one got hurt and one got to relive her youth. Extremely well written and thought out.

Thanks Todd

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A very enjoyable read.

Thanks, cageytee

jneric2691jneric2691over 5 years ago
Loved your story!

Just lost a friend, was looking for something to cheer me up and your story is the first one I read. Imagine my surprise. In all sincerity. it did help, it was a beautiful story!

Thank you!

xtchrxtchrover 5 years ago
What A Story!

I am having a hard time today with the "Sharing" stories...not my thing. I have skimmed a few and skipped a lot. Am I glad that I read this one.

What a sad sad story, and so well-written. I still don't know how you took 2 people that were not nice people and made me care for them.

I also have to agree with another commenter that how would i feel if the sexes were reversed and it was the wife that went with an old boyfriend for a last ride. I have to think about it but I don't think I would have liked it as much...maybe a double-standard.

Anyway, Thank You for a real good story.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 5 years ago
I paraphrase

I can't believe how fucking great this story is. That's not an empty statement, I mean it. Thanks for everything.

PS: You either understand, had a good "consultant", or yes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Sensational...!

As always Todd172 delivers another soul stirring story with enough realism to embrace the reader throughout the journey. I am seriously in awe of your writing!

Thank you for sharing your talent here on Lit for free!

C

sempergumby1963sempergumby1963over 5 years ago
A Gift

You have the gift of the tale, my friend. I think that were you to write a story about Hilary Clinton, you could make me feel something even for her. Even as despicable as she is. Semper Fi, brother.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Didn't expect

this story to choke me up but it damn sure did. One of the best I've read on here.

BAnde53507BAnde53507over 5 years ago
Sometimes...

There are no words. I mourn for Gypsy. But happy she found her peace. Probably your best as far as Im concerned.

1wrngrght1wrngrghtover 5 years ago
Into the sunset

Great story...that’s it.

Oh...and “anon” you just might want to READ the story and not skim thru. Nobody lost anything to anybody. Nothing but good here, nothing but good.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
Great Story

Great writing. It's amazing how a story told by a good writer, telling a story beautifully can make one accept and pull for what can only described as two truly despicable characters.

I've known a couple of women like Gypsy who start shit because they need to see their guy fight for them. It's got to be totally low self-esteem bullshit or whatever. After the first time they pulled that shit, I fucked them once and showed them the door permanently. The crazy are always great fucks, but one time is plenty with them. Life is too short for self-destructive mentals who have no problem pulling you into destructive behavior as well. They need shrinks, not boyfriends who fight for them. Although he was a mental case like her (15 kills?). So two mentals found one another.

@Anonymous, I have to agree. If the genders were reversed so many of the comments would have been calling the "wife" a slut and that she should be burned etc.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A surprising story

Incredibly well written. But as another commentator pointed out - these are REALLY unlikable people. Criminals, murders and whores. With little or no honor (unless you consider the old "honor among thieves" bit). You did make her dying a pitiful thing. But as well done as this was, it was just plain depressing as hell. Next time and I really hope there are multiple next times - I like your writing - maybe something a little more uplifting.

ejsathomeejsathomeover 5 years ago
Wow . . .

. . . what a pleasure that was to read. Just stunning. Thanks very much. 5 easy stars, for sure.

ohioohioover 5 years ago
Beautifully done

Absolutely just right--it didn't need to be a line longer, or have a single extra explanatory sentence. Thanks so much for your skillful and feeling storytelling.

ohio

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Great story, as usual, but you did kinda cheat on the assignment.

carvohicarvohiover 5 years ago
Well, well...

I'm not a fan of motorcycles, lost two close friends years ago when they were on a bike and ran a light, and motorcycle "clubs" but I did enjoy this story.

I generally enjoy what you write.

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

Driven2ReadDriven2Readover 5 years ago
5* -Awesome

Top 5 author on the site, great characters, great story. Loving Wives, got a sister in it too. Hat's off to the one of the best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
"GYPSY"

DAMN! I love all your stories.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 5 years ago
Yeah, ok. I really like this story...

This was was very good. No surprise there though; I never expect anything less from your writing. You managed to write a "sharing" story that didn't give me heartburn. I figured it would either be you and/or Q that could pull it off, if anybody could.

Fine job, well done. Thanks for posting.

katranmankatranmanover 5 years ago
Nobody rides for free...

Awesome story, extremely well written, 5 stars. Thanks for your efforts.

chytownchytownover 5 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nailed it

Kept me involved from start to finish. I get lost in your writing. But isn't that what it's all about.

0zed0zedover 5 years ago
Awsome!

What a great and touching read. Enjoyed the fuck out of it!

wylie236wylie236over 5 years ago
one of my favorite authors

I will say that I always look forward to reading your work. I believe that you are one of the better authors on this site, but I have to say that I think this is one of your lesser works. You mentioned at the beginning that you didn't like the direction of this story, and I agree with that assessment. I can appreciate the effort and and the writing but the story left me flat.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 5 years ago
Glad I risked this one.

Fucking beautiful.

Brought more than one tear to this scarred man.

TexasBBTexasBBover 5 years ago
Outstanding

Very very will done! Engaging and true to the "Sharing is Caring" event. Lots of depth to this and it definitely brings out the emotions. You are definitely one of the better authors on here and I look forward to more of your submissions.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
John

You said "The crazy are always great fucks,..."

Truth.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Wylie

For reasons mentioned and not mentioned here I can think of several possible reactions to this story, but "flat" is not one of them. Hate it or love it but calling it flat just gets a bit WTF is wrong with you?

danoctoberdanoctoberover 5 years ago
Wow!

Man, that was just awesome. Brilliant story telling. Todd172, knocked it out of the ball park with this story. *****

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
Great Story

Beautifully done. There are special endings for all people.

PiperHamlinPiperHamlinover 5 years ago
I can't much that hasn't been said

I don't have knowledge of that culture either, but it came alive for me in this story. It was a nice window into another place, with a heartwarming story to boot.

Crusader235Crusader235over 5 years ago
Did it

Ya did it again, brought tears to this old Marines eyes. Excellent story, and thank you for it. *****+ Semper Fi.

green117green117over 5 years ago
What can I say?

Not much - very good story - I was wondering how you would finesse the assignment.

Anywho - the bitter, burning pride of the female protagonist felt real. On the other hand, the fatalistic gravitas of the secondary female protagonist also felt real, but a bit underdrawn and the confidence she showed was an interesting path not illuminated.

You wrote it, I read it.

A tour de force, actually... considering. Your best? Perhaps... perhaps these challenges are good for you.

Green-something

(Sturgis? never been, but my brother has. A white-bread dude, he is... but he survived the experience. Not for the fainthearted, that place.)

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
An odd fantasy, fed by writers and directors and actors . . .

who wouldn't live or last 5 minutes in the real world of these pathetic cowardly losers. Outlaws, renegades, bandits? Naw, just directionless amoral thugs who would fuck their mother and their own children if they saw a profit, or had the whim. Why not?

Nothing romantic or charming about spineless animals who feed on the weakest they can find. No, not lions, just mold, mildew, fungus, opportunistic parasites.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 5 years ago
Huh

Totally confused by the start. Who is gypsy and the other. What are you talking about sharing caring stuff. What a confusing start. Is there a story?

No * as could not get far enough.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 5 years ago
Simply brilliant!

Loved this story, brought tears to my eyes.

SensateSensateover 5 years ago
Thank you

A great story from a professional. 5 big ones.

DominantYetServile22DominantYetServile22over 5 years ago
@Green117

The Sturgis bike rally might have been a rough, dangerous place in the 70's and 80's in the heyday of the outlaw MCs, but now it's mostly a venue for dentists and day traders to pretend to have balls for 10 days by TOWING their motorcycle that they drive 5 times a year to the event and then dressing up and showing off their bike. It's damn near a family event now, and the extra law enforcement brought in tends to really sit on the outlaw MCs who show up so they generally are on pretty good behavior themselves, though obviously some drunken idiots try to be cool and hang out with them and get invited to their own private parties away from town where anything can happen.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@UltimateHomeBody Re: "Huh"

Let me make it simple for you. Gypsy is Jane, the sister of the main character's wife Jenny. Jane rode with him for a few years until he got sent to prison.

Now, Jane is dying of cancer, and her sister sends him to take Jane for one last ride before she dies. It's NOT that complicated!

Todd172Todd172over 5 years agoAuthor
Thanks again...and again...and...

There's just no way to express it clearly enough. Without the reader support I've gotten from the start, there's no way I would have continued.

I've also gotten great deal of help and support from other writers, some of the best on the site, who share what they've learned so I don't have to learn it the hard way. They give amazing feedback and the tales are much better for it. My beta readers and editors are unbelievably patient - though I am afraid sbrooks and blackrandi will eventually crack under the sheer weight of my ghastly punctuation and grammar.

I didn't plan to write in the first place, but The Missus dared me and I have a particular fondness for making her smile. She's been enjoying this as much as I have and has been a source of plots, characters and sanity.

If the story doesn't suit you, that's fine. We all have different tastes. There are some remarkable writers out there - Piperhamlin, DFWbeast, FrancsMacomber. Keep looking, there is some amazing stuff out there.

Again, Thank You,

Todd

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 5 years ago
A very moving tale

with an interesting and lively backstory.

Nicely done.

meucimeuciover 5 years ago
enjoyable read

I gave it 5 stars myself not being in that life but have friends that are. Respect is everything to them and this story shows the ultimate respect for a sick but still proud old lady.

Pappy7Pappy7over 5 years ago
Well done,

reminds me of the bikers I knew back then. They were rough as hell but complicated too. Club was family, then respect guided how you responded to other clubs. Mostly left us straights alone, unless they wanted something you had. Girls like that did exist but I'm not sure they lasted long enough to become legends or die of age related diseases. Like the guys they were a blaze of glory so to speak. I like the sentiment of the story, they did have their own code of honor and all that. Well written as always and I thank you for sharing with us.

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 5 years ago
Great craft work!

It's fun to read a good writer's work and try to understand how he does it, write a compelling story about generally unlikable characters. Five, of course.

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 5 years ago
Awesome story Todd!

This is a very realistic story of a generation of people living just outside of the mainstream (as far as I know). It was actually a very emotional love story told just right. 5* because I can't score it any higher!

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 5 years ago
Sbrookes

Why did this not be explained at the start, Instead of assuming we all know the characters. These characters had been named but not introduced, they were just names with no relationship information.

Sorry the writer could not explain his work. Are you his editor?

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 5 years ago
Makes Me Wonder ...

Reading this made me wonder how I would have fared, pulling into a biker bar on my old 750 Triumph Bonneville. Worked OK in Daytona during Handlebar Derby week, but that’s not quite the same. Great read, and a warm-hearted tale.

Full Five (but what else is new?)

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Mucho thanks to Todd172..

...or this category would be wasteland. I find myself going back to re-read Harddaysknight, StangStar06, DSQ and others, for their nicely structures storylines & sense of humor.

Todd you are a lifesafer,

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Damn

Just, damn man. I'm too old and too mean to get teary over a LW story, but that's where you took me. I cry every time I hear Taps, but rarely any other time. Thanks for this. Gatorhermit, I agree with your movie. I saw , and heard, Sam Elliot as soon as I started the story. Danny Trejho as the Angel to add to your perfect casting. Nothing added to Todd's story.

shaman43shaman43over 5 years ago
Just joyous

Anyone whose emotions don't reach up to grab them is not paying attention to life and death. I thought of my dad in law who passed from his bout with cancer in 98. He grew up in Pierre, S.D. Family ranch on the Missouri just east of town. Harley mechanic and negotiator for whatever was needed. One of the organizers for Sturgis. My wife still remembers her first trip to the roundup when she was 11. He would just put his hands over her face when whatever it was going on seemed to raw to him for her. Saw considerable. Buried in the National Cemetery there near Sturgis. He would have loved it. A tough dude. No B.S. He would have loved this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
thanks

Another great story.

SS1969

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 5 years ago
Second read was better then the first

Dam - that was a great story so well written full of emotions and adventure! Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
another great story

Another great story from you thanks for your time and effort I also would like to thank your missus for her support keep the great stories coming

InsigniaInsigniaover 5 years ago
The only problem is it ended

Liked it so much I wanted to read a longer version where they go cross country. So the only other way to make this more enjoyable for me is to add some geography. Your note at the end mentioned a joint that was neutral territory. Tell us where these places are.

Jenny is another character you could play with. And if she is the Angel I dont want Danny Trejo playing her in the movie.

It is really hard to critique Todd's stories because he takes themes and characters that I might find in some of my favorite novels and out Ludlum-Brown-Clancys them.

Bring on the movie deal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Different

This is a bit of a different LW story but contains a process of evolution in life and survival as most of us grow. Strange, but well-written and well-done.

T.T.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thugbunny says "fuck it"

Gypsy comes along and challenges her thunder! Gypsy is Thugbunny defined. Loved the story and depth of the characters and all in 2 pages. These characters are "twisted" enough I hope to fit into The Shack or more of their own tales. Love your stories, your characters are so different.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Most of my time is spent in the field with occasional days back in the office...

But there’s a black as the ace of spades Harley soft tail next to my pickup and the best times are leaning into the curves on the ‘Twisted Sister” or along the road between Lajitas and Terlingua.

Ride on, Gypsy.

You make my eyes fuzz up, Iceman.

Keep these characters in your repertoire.

tnoldguytnoldguyover 5 years ago
Loved this story

Your stuff is great any way, but this one tugged at my heartstrings. Three way love and devotion for a lifetime. Lots of people would have problems with the biker theme and lifestyle, but it just makes this a great story.

Maybe the best of the “Sharing Is Caring” stories.

johntc24johntc24over 5 years ago
captivating, as always

Always looking for new submissions from your writing handle. Wasn't disappointed, loved the story. Your character development and presentation always draw me in. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
excellent

Damn this is a good story. Thank you

Adam RightmannAdam Rightmannover 5 years ago
I just have a rice burner

But this was really, really good.

Thanks#

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Characters

I read all your work . You're characters are excellent , exceptional people doing exceptional things , keep me hooked. Keep writing please... Thank you!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A Great Read

Been on here a while (as a reader) and this is an excellent story. Thanks for the story and please keep writing!

"Buckeye Fan"

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great

I was ready to knock you because this wasn’t in line with your previous excellent work. But you just knocked it out of the park, yet again. You really put in the effort to learn enough about the story to write with incredible connection to your readers and the story topic. Your writing style is awesome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
When the spark is lost the fire will perish.

Ride high and low l forever l forever l be free.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
🎵To the gypsy ...

She is dancing away from you now

She was just a wish

She was just a wish

And her memory is all that is left for you now

You see ... your gypsy

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
As an avid reader of your stories

I disregarded this entry for a while after getting about 2 paragraphs in, I saved the link for future consumption.

Whilst looking for distraction this evening I stumbled across this story in my bookmarks, and thought why not.....

This (for me) has got to be one of your best submissions so far, great character and story development with humanity, respect, dignity and devotion shown in culmination.

Thank you for sharing your stories, I would rate this as one of my best short reads on the site.

Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Touching story

Made this old guy remember what it felt like to give the old Pan a twist and head down some road I had never been on before.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A New Todd172 Story Is A Gift!

Suspension of disbelief is easy when it's Todd172!

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 5 years ago
Dang. What a love story

Wow. That was a love story beyond love stories. Thank you.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories