The Last Word

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the evening approached, I had more to prepare than just the video. I consulted a lawyer to have divorce papers drawn up in a way that would be the standard allotments and most likely to be accepted by her. I would not fight equal access to money including my future pension. I just wanted to get away. Living a little above poverty without Beverly was just fine with me. I got a similar job in another town and resigned from my current position. My lawyer was to be my only contact for everyone except my boys. I would rely on them to not tell their mother how to contact me.

Showtime! I dressed up for the semi-formal celebration. Beverly was told that this event would be a kick-off fund raiser for the mission and it would unveil the video to be used in future ad campaigns. Most of the major supporters of Second Chance would be present as well as some first time, hopefully to become, donors. The liquor and fine food had everyone in a good mood.

At the appointed time, the Board Chairman called order. He listed the many successes of Second Chance and its Director Beverly Simpson. Then he announced that he had a special presentation for Beverly: The Hans Kruger National Award for Community Service (for communities under 50,000 population) Beverly Simpson and Second Chance Mission. A standing ovation followed. Beverly was in tears. I played the dutiful husband and gave her hugs and kisses.

The Chairman asked for quiet and continued, "Before we let Beverly bring the evening to a close, we wish to play for you a video that we plan to use for informing the public of the excellent work done at Second Chance and hopefully for getting money out of your pockets." Small areas of laughter were heard among the crowd. "Jared, play the video."

I got the video started and made sure it was playing as hoped before I ducked out of the building. I was heading for my car which was packed with essentials for my immediate departure to my next life.

I had many friends in attendance and received the following description from them of what happened. The first part of the video provided a historic background of the mission before reviewing the current programs and Beverly. In talking about the jobs for ex-cons program, it used the phrase, "Beverly does whatever it takes to serve her clients." At that instant, the picture shown was of her 'serving' Demarcus with a blowjob. Moving on the narrator said, "Everyone knows that Beverly has their back." That's when it showed Demarcus providing anal sex to Beverly. I know, technically it was Demarcus having Beverly's back, but it matched somewhat the narrative on the tape.

No more of the video was shown as someone pulled the plug. My snitch said that Beverly was crying and shouting, "It's a fake. I never. I can explain. It's my insane husband." By that time people were leaving. Some were seen tearing up checks they had written for a donation. Beverly was left at the head table with her head down on the table, crying. A single figure approached the table and asked, "Are you Beverly Simpson?"

"What?"

"Beverly Simpson, you have been served."

My job had been done. At the time I wished I had videoed the celebration. I was proud of myself.

My son, Sydney, brought me out of my bliss first. "Dad, how could you? You destroyed mother in front of everyone. In addition, you probably have destroyed the Second Chance Mission. I know from the video you sent us how Mom betrayed you but what you did was way out of line. I don't know when, if ever, I want to talk to you." He hung up.

I was so wrapped up in my own feelings, I didn't think how what I did might affect others. Second Chance Mission helped a lot of people. In addition, my lawyer told me that Demarcus was threatening a law suit. His wife kicked him out and was filing for divorce. I had to do something, something positive.

My lawyer was able to give me the information on Demarcus' wife. I contacted her and begged her for ten minutes of her time. At her apartment, I played the tape from Beverly's office, so she could hear how Demarcus did not want to have sex but was threatened with a return to prison. Based on what she was telling me by the time I left, there was a chance to save their marriage.

I sent a letter to Board and all the donors to the Second Chance Mission and apologized for my actions. I begged them to not give up on the mission and promised to send as much money as I could although I knew I didn't have much. I even ran an ad to the general public in the town newspaper pleading for support for Second Chance. It appeared that the response was enough to re-open the Mission on a trial basis.

I had no clue as to what to do about how I treated Beverly. Was it justified and the damage to the mission and Demarcus just collateral damage? Or was it overkill? My lawyer said that he had heard nothing from her or her lawyer. While I was trying to figure if there was something else I should do, my son Norris called. "Dad, you need to talk to Mom."

"I don't know what to say to her."

"She doesn't want to talk to you about the divorce. She has a health issue to talk to you about. You HAVE to talk to her for your own good."

"Okay. I'll call her now." As much as I dreaded hearing the ass reaming I probably at least somewhat deserved, I called.

"Beverly, this is Jared. Norris said you had something to tell me."

"Oh Jared, what I did to you was terrible but was it so . . . Oh, never mind. That's not what I need to tell you. Jared, you need to be tested for STDs right away."

"What?"

"One of the men I had sex with, Reggie, tested positive for a vicious type of STD. He gave the Health Department my name. I tested positive also. You need to be tested. I know we didn't have sex that often the last few months, but it could be life or death. Jared?"

"I'm in shock. I also have a feeling you are just trying to scare me for what I did to you. I probably deserve it."

"Jared, it's not a ploy. Anyway, you just have to go get tested and, if positive, get treatment. Quick treatment is critical. But I've done what I was supposed to do. I've told you. Do what you want. Bye."

Well, I'm not stupid but I did get kicked out of a Motel Six once. I went and got tested. I was negative, so I wasn't sure if I was lucky or that I was right that Beverly was trying to have the last word in our latest argument. I went about my new life, meager as it was. The STD scare was enough for me to feel comfortable with the revenge I had instigated.

A few months passed. I was pleased to learn that Demarcus and his wife reconciled and dropped the lawsuit. Second Chance Mission got, appropriately, a second chance. A new director came in and was able to rejuvenate the program and donors. I sent every spare dime I had to them. Things were beginning to calm down.

But Beverly had to have the last word. Sydney called this time. "Dad, Mom is dying."

"What makes you say that?" Obviously, I expected a ruse.

"Norris and I got worried when she didn't answer our calls. We called Mrs. Spencer, our old next-door neighbor, to check on her. She said Mom was in the hospital. She assumed we knew. We went down as soon as we could. We almost didn't recognize her she had lost so much weight. The doctor said that she had refused treatment for the venereal disease she tested positive for. Said it was her punishment for being such a despicable person. Said she deserved to die a horrible death. They are giving her pain medication, but she doesn't have long. She asked if we would ask you to come. Mom wants to see you before she dies. Will you come?"

"I'll be there in three hours."

I broke a few speed laws. I needed one last chance to make amends, if possible. I didn't want her to die. I went to her room. Sydney and Norris were there. They left so we could be alone. Beverly had been such a beautiful woman. That was not the woman I saw. This woman was emaciated, withered and lifeless. I was afraid to wake her up. Somehow, she sensed I was there. "Jared, thank you for coming. I wanted to say one time, for the record, I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

I could not hold back the tears, "Of course I forgive you. Can you forgive me?"

She smiled at me and said, "No!" The last word she ever said.

Now you may think that was harsh on her part. Once I had a chance to think about it, telling me 'no' might have been her only way to give me a reason to not feel so guilty about what I did to her. Do I know for sure? Of course not, but I would like to think so.

When I received the life insurance check for $100,000, I signed it over to the Second Chance Mission. They told me it was the single largest contribution they had ever received. I made sure they acknowledged it was donated in memory of Beverly Simpson.

I was happy to give her one last word.

12