The Lawn Guy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for coming and welcome to Newton Industries new daycare center. Crystal, come up here with me so everyone can see the genius behind all this."

Crystal blushed but walked up the steps to join her.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce Crystal Morton. She is the director of the center but she's also the person responsible for creating it. Let's have a big hand for Crystal."

The applause was deafening. Mary handed the mic to Crystal.

"Thank you everyone. There were a lot of people involved in creating this wonderful facility and I'm afraid I can only take a small part of the credit. What you're seeing today is phase one. Phase two will open in two weeks and will be for the elementary grade children and will include before and after school care along with breakfast daily, lunches on short days and after school snacks. Transportation to and from school will also be part of that. Phase three will begin about a month later and will include tutors and teachers to assist our children with their education. Phase four, which is still in the planning stage is a community youth center which we hope will be a place for our junior high and high school students to get together. We're already including several local students into our tutor program where they will be able to earn money as tutors. Please feel free to make yourselves at home. Again, thank you all for coming."

She handed the mic back to Mary and started to walk away but Mary grabbed her arm to keep her there.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to ask our CEO to come up here and say a few words. Without his help and generosity this center would never have happened. JR, if you would please."

When JR walked up the steps, Crystal's mouth fell open. She couldn't believe her eyes. JR smiled at her as he took the mic.

"Thank you all for coming today. My name is John Robinson, JR to most of you and..." Looking directly at Crystal. "...JJ, to one of you. About three months ago a wise woman put in a suggestion that we consider a daycare. I gave her the job of checking into the feasibility of it. That was Mary Hanson. She brought Crystal Morton on board to create it and this is what these two amazing women came up with. I kept my nose out of it and essentially gave Crystal free reign to make this dream come true. My thanks to Crystal, Mary, and all the others they pulled together to make it happen. Thank you, ladies."

He handed the mic to Mary, then led the applause for the ladies and quietly left the stage, smiling at Crystal as he walked away. Crystal was still staring at him. When the applause died down Mary and Crystal went down the stairs.

"Crystal, are you okay? You look like you're going to be sick."

"I think I am. I thought he was the landscaping guy."

"Who?"

"JJ, I mean JR. We knew each other in college. The first time I came here I saw him mowing the lawn. Yesterday after the walkthrough he showed up. We were busy and I told him we didn't need a gardener and ran him off." Mary started laughing. "Mary, this isn't funny. I was really rude to him yesterday."

"You didn't know he was the CEO?" Mary asked.

"No, he never said anything."

Mary was still laughing. Cindy walked over to them.

"What in heaven's name is so funny?"

"Crystal thought JR was the landscaper."

Cindy chuckled, "Why would you think that?"

"He was riding a lawnmower and mowing the grass. What was I supposed to think? Everyone calls him JR. I knew him as JJ. The only time I saw him after that was late yesterday and I ran him out of the daycare."

"Just curious, why did you run him out?"

"We were really busy getting ready for today. He was just wandering around and sort of in the way."

"The JR I know would have offered to help, not gotten in the way."

"He did offer to help. I told him I didn't need a gardener. Oh God!"

Mary and Cindy laughed again.

"Crystal, JR thinks you're mad at him," Cindy told her.

"Why would I be mad at him?"

"The day your security screen and references came back Mary brought your records to him. That was the day he found out you were the one being hired for the daycare. He told me that when he ran into you that first day, he invited you to dinner. You didn't even respond to his invitation."

"He's right I didn't, but it wasn't because I was mad at him."

"He stayed away from you on purpose since you were hired. JR has come down and watched the progress but always did it after you were gone."

"What am I going to do? I've treated him like dirt. I did the same thing in college."

"He'll leave you alone and give you all the space you need. JR really is a good guy. Why don't you take him a cookie as a peace offering? He likes the Snickerdoodles," Cindy suggested.

"Cindy, I just can't."

Crystal walked away and began talking to the visitors. She kept her eye open for him and made sure to stay as far away as possible. JR thought they made eye contact a couple of times, but Crystal immediately turned away. He finally gave up on the idea of trying to speak to her and would continue as he had in the past few months just staying away. Cindy walked up to him.

"Crystal thought you were one of the grounds crew."

"I figured that out yesterday when she ran me out of the daycare."

"She also told me she isn't mad at you."

"Cindy, I consider myself a pretty smart guy but for the life of me I can't figure her out."

"I have lunch with her almost daily. I'll try and pick her brain. Give her space but be nice to her."

"That's what I've been doing."

"Join us for lunch on Monday. Maybe it'll be helpful if it's not just the two of you."

"I don't know. I'll think about it."

"Good, now go mingle with your guests."

JR continued visiting for about two more hours before leaving. He spent the rest of the weekend quietly alone and still couldn't remember anything he had done. She had dumped him in college for someone else. He quietly moved away, and they had only spoken once after that until she showed up two months ago for her interview.

* * * * *

At lunch time on Monday, JR walked into the dining area. Mary and Cindy were sitting on one side of a booth and Crystal sat in the center of the other side. He walked up to their table carrying his tray.

"Hello ladies. Do you have room for one more?" The moment he walked up Crystal looked down.

Cindy grinned, "Of course, have a seat."

JR waited a few seconds, but Crystal made no move to create a space for him. He blushed.

"Um, maybe some other time then." JR turned and walked away.

"Crystal, pardon me for butting in, but that was about as rude as anything I can remember seeing."

When Crystal looked up to reply there were tears in her eyes. "Cindy, you don't understand."

"Then enlighten me, dammit!"

"We were a couple for three years in college and I just shit on him. I can't face him."

"JR doesn't hold grudges. You won't find a more loving, caring man on the planet. Lighten up. No one said you have to sleep with him but for heaven sake you could at least be courteous."

"I'm afraid I'll start crying if I try to talk to him."

"Then talk to him in private if you need to but talk to him."

"Crystal, may I ask you a personal question?" Mary asked.

"Yes."

"You still love him, don't you?"

"I don't know, Mary."

"Don't know or won't admit it."

"We had a wonderful relationship, but I was stupid and destroyed it."

"Did you cheat on him?" Cindy asked.

"No, I would never have done that. He knew that."

"Then what the hell did you do?" Mary asked.

"I dumped him for a guy with a lot of money."

"You don't strike me as the type of person to do something like that."

"I was a stupid twenty something. I'm really not like that."

"Regardless, you need to sit down and talk to him. He's uncomfortable, you're uncomfortable and you're both making the rest of us that way," Cindy scolded.

* * * * *

Over the next several weeks nothing changed between Crystal and JR. He would say hello when he saw her, and she would reply but neither made any effort at actually talking. JR went through the building visiting all the departments regularly but always went by the daycare while Crystal was at lunch. Cindy, Mary, and Crystal almost always lunched together but JR, by his own choice, usually showed up as they were leaving.

03 - Crystal's Mother

Cindy was having lunch when Crystal and her mother, Rebecca Morton, joined her at the table. Becky, as she was known, was in town for a couple of days and Crystal wanted her to see the new daycare. When JR saw them, he recognized Becky from years earlier but since he had been trying to give Crystal lots of space, he didn't approach them. Cindy saw him and motioned him over with her finger. Cindy smiled as he approached. Crystal saw him coming and put her head down. When he stepped up to the table Becky looked up at him, smiled and then looked at his left hand for a wedding ring.

"Do we have a new employee," he asked.

Cindy expected Crystal to introduce her mother, but she didn't speak.

"JR, this is Crystal's mother, Rebecca Morton. Becky, this is John Robinson, our CEO."

"Mrs. Morton," JR replied, smiling.

"Mr. Robinson." Becky replied, as she nudged Crystal.

Crystal looked at her but still didn't acknowledge JR.

"Crystal, this is the kind of guy you should go for, no wedding ring, successful, and handsome. You know he kind of resembles that loser I made you unload in college."

Crystal immediately put her head down further. Cindy's and JR's jaws dropped.

"Well, if you'll excuse me ladies, I must get back to work."

He turned and left the room. Crystal looked at her mother with tears in her eyes. "Mother, how could you?" she asked in amazement. Tears were running down Crystal's cheeks. "Go home. You can show yourself out," she said, as she stormed from the table and left the cafeteria.

Becky seemed stunned and looked at Cindy.

"That explains a few things." Cindy said.

"I wonder what was that all about?" Becky asked.

"Becky, JR is the loser you made her dump in college."

"So, what's the big deal? That was a long time ago."

"Oh, it's a big deal alright. When they split up it broke both their hearts. She's embarrassed and ashamed to talk to him and he's terrified of her. Neither of them ever married because they're still in love with each other. And as far as being a loser, JR is a self-made billionaire."

"I suspected Crystal still had feelings for him. She has a whole bookcase full of pictures and memorabilia of him. I think I screwed up."

"That's an understatement. I've been hoping they'll start talking to each other, but there's been a wall between them. Now, at least, we know what it is. It's heartbreaking to watch."

"I'm the one who insisted she dump him for Chad so I suppose I should be the one to straighten this mess out."

"And how would you do that?" Cindy asked.

"I'll sit him down and tell him what really happened. Crystal said she never had a chance to explain it to him."

"I wish someone would do something."

"Who do I need to talk to in order to bend his ear?"

"That would be me. I'm his secretary."

"So, what are we waiting for?" Becky asked.

"He probably went back to his office. How about right now?"

Becky stood. "Shall we?"

Cindy got up and they walked to the elevator then from the elevator to JR's office.

"Becky, be honest with him. He reads people better than anyone I've ever met. Don't try to blow smoke up his ass."

"I'm known for my direct approach."

Becky didn't knock. She opened the door and walked right in. JR stood when she entered. He was a bit surprised and just watched her. She didn't speak for a while as she walked around his office looking it over. At the bookcase, she picked up a picture.

"Crystal has a picture of the two of you on her bookcase too. Does she know you have this?"

"No."

"Do you still love her, JJ?"

"Yes, Mrs. Morton. I never stopped."

"Does she know that?"

"No, she doesn't seem to want to talk to me."

"Do you know why?"

"I assume I've done something wrong."

"She's ashamed of what she did, JJ."

"All she did was move on to a rich guy."

"No, she didn't move on. I made her break it off with you."

"I see."

"No, I don't think you do. Let's sit down and I'll tell you what happened."

Both sat facing each other in front of the desk.

"JJ, I always thought you were very nice, but you were a dreamer. I love my daughter and wanted her to have all the things her father and I could never give her. You were such a dreamer; I couldn't picture you giving her the kind of life I always wanted her to have. I tried for almost three years to get her to dump you and hook up with Chad. He was an idiot, but he was rich. I finally gave her an ultimatum. Go out with Chad or I wasn't going to pay for the rest of her school. Crystal said she would never go out with him or anyone else while you two were together. The solution seemed simple enough to me, dump you. If she was going to finish college, that's what I required of her. We fought about it for weeks and finally, when she realized I meant it, she had no choice."

"And how did that work out for you?"

"It was a dismal failure. She lost the only man she ever loved, didn't speak to me for almost two years, and never gave me the grandchildren I wanted. Thank God she didn't marry that asshole. Hell, she never married anyone. I hear you didn't either."

"Who's your information source?"

"Cindy, of course."

"No, I never married either."

"Because of Crystal?"

"I thought so, but it's looking more like it was because of you."

"I was the one who ruined it for you both. I know you must hate me."

"No, Becky. I don't hate you. I think you did something pretty low, but you did it out of love for Crystal. If I had been told about the ultimatum, I probably would have broken up with her to keep her in school. I wanted her to be happy. I couldn't compete with Chad and his money, but I didn't think 'things' was what Crystal wanted. Strange, it comforts me knowing it wasn't what she wanted."

"So, now that you know the truth, what are you going to do?"

"Becky, now I'm the one with the money and the ability to give her all the 'things' you want for her. Are you just pulling the same stunt?"

"No, I'm not, JJ. Crystal hasn't been happy since I broke you up. I'm wiser now and just want her to be happy. Even if you were jerking burgers at McDonald's, as long as you made her happy, I'd still be talking to you. At least think about talking to her. Please?"

"I'll talk to her. I owe she and I both that much."

"Good. I'm sorry for my interference in your lives. Thank you for giving me a chance to explain."

"Thank you for telling me, Becky."

Becky stood and held out her hand to shake. JR hugged her instead. He opened the office door for her then followed her out, watching as she left the office.

"JR, your schedule is open for the next two hours. Crystal will be on the playground with the kids for the next fifty minutes. If you leave now you have plenty of time to walk across the street to the florist. A simple mixed bouquet would be a nice gesture," Cindy told him.

JR grinned at her and walked to the elevator.

* * * * *

After walking hastily to the florist and picking up the flowers, JR stood just inside the building watching the playground. When Crystal's back was turned, he walked out and quietly walked up behind her, then held the flowers out in front of her. She looked down at them then turned to him and smiled softly.

"Thank you, JJ."

"Do you have a minute to talk?"

"You can help me keep an eye on the kiddos."

"I can do that."

"The flowers are beautiful."

"I'm glad you like them. How are things going in the daycare?"

"Very well. Is that why you wanted to talk to me?"

"No, Crys, it has nothing to do with business. Your mother came to my office a little while ago. She told me about the ultimatum."

Crystal's eyes moistened. "JJ, I'm so sorry. I tried to tell you, but you just vanished."

"I saw Chad in your apartment that day. I was hurting pretty bad. I had to go away."

"My mother was there too. She showed up with Chad. I really did want to tell you. Losing you was the end of my whole world."

"It ended mine too."

Both stood with tears in their eyes just looking at each other. A little girl ran up to Crystal.

"Mrs. Morton's got a boyfriend!" she shouted to the others.

Several of the other children ran over to them. Questions and comments were coming a mile a minute. The kids were having fun teasing her. Crystal and JR were both blushing but smiling. A little boy about six walked up and scowled at JR.

"Why you givin' my girlfriend flowers?" he asked, seriously.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize she was already taken," JR replied.

Crystal handed the flowers to the boy. He grinned then handed them back to her with a wide smile.

"These are for you, Ms. Morton."

Crystal took them and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you, Robbie. They're beautiful. We'll put them in a vase when we go back inside."

The boy grinned and all the children ran back to play.

"I didn't realize there was so much competition for your attention."

"Are you putting yourself in the running?"

"Yes, Crys. I am."

She grinned at him. "The competition's pretty stiff. Besides Robbie, there's also Mark and Jeff."

"Ah, but I have a car and a driver's license."

"I'm not impressed much by things."

"I'm also taller that they are. I don't bite my nails and can make a really good grilled cheese sandwich."

"Now you're getting my attention. Do you still like to fish?"

"I do and know some great spots in the area."

"Will you bait my hook?"

"And take the fish off the hook if you want."

"You invited me to dinner a couple of months ago. Is that offer still good?"

"Anytime. Anywhere," he replied.

"Paris? This Saturday?"

"If that's what you want."

"I was kidding, JJ."

"I wasn't. I'd love to take you to Paris."

"Our first date should probably be local. What if I don't like you?"

"Good point. Local is fine with me. I'll see if I can borrow the big riding mower from Jose' and I'll pick you up."

"Oh my God! I really thought you were the lawn guy. I was so embarrassed. Mark, please don't climb up the slide!" she shouted. "Let's walk over there. When one does it, the others will follow."

They walked over to the slide area. Almost immediately a few others tried to climb the slide. Crystal was very patient with them. The kids all seemed to love and respect her, and it was obvious she felt the same way.

"Where are you taking me for dinner?" she asked.

"I've been invited to the Great Hahira Pick-in and crawfish boil this Saturday by some friends."

"Is it local?"

"More local than Paris."

She grinned at him. "How local?"

"It's just outside of Valdosta. About two and a half hours from here. I have a motor home. We could leave Friday from work and come back Sunday."

"What's a pick-in?"

"Local bluegrass music festival, all amateur. It's really a lot of fun."

"Is it just the two of us going?"

"Cindy went last year. I invited her again this year, but she hasn't given me her answer yet. The RV sleeps eight easily and has three separate sleeping areas. You would have the master bedroom to yourself."

She grinned at him. "Are you trustworthy?"

"Crys, it's been a long time. I can assure you that I'll be a perfect gentleman."

"I was teasing you, JJ. I'm not afraid of you. When do you need to know?"

"Before the end of the workday Friday."

"I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon. Right now, I need to get the kids back inside. Will you join me at lunch tomorrow?"

"I'd love to. Will you do me a favor?"