The Little Review, April 1916 (Vol. 3, No. 2)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To sermonize here, we have Mrs. Aldis, who we know to be a highly intelligent woman and one not only interested in the uplift of the drama but also in the uplift of the common (?) people, merely saying to a girl, who is wretchedly unhappy about her elephantine size: All that I can give you is a doctor’s vague advice to bant and exercise. She might have given her Vance Thompson’s epoch-making book “Eat and Grow Thin,” or read chapters from it to the unhappy girl, thereby convincing her that starvation is unnecessary and also a patent medicine. But with a coldness that is most reprehensive, she gave “a doctor’s vague advice to bant and exercise,” and evidently Ellie would none of this. She might also have consulted the hundred and one doctors in Chicago or elsewhere who specialize in the reduction of fat, and who could have given her for “the continent” a diet chart or perhaps a pill to effect the desired change. But she did not think this necessary; she did not feel it her duty. But if we have only adverse criticism for Mrs. Aldis’ uncharitable act, what direful words of commination should we not visit on the doctor who gave the “vague advice.” In an age when the cult of slimness is uppermost in everybody’s mind, is it possible that the doctor consulted by Mrs. Aldis was so untrue to his mission as a public benefactor that he gave only “vague advice,” or is Mrs. Aldis maligning the whole medical profession and trying to show that by his “vague advice” the doctor was really responsible for Ellie’s death by driving her into taking “the bottles in the woodshed, hundreds of ’em. All labelled ‘Caldwell’s Great Obesity Cure Warranted Safe and Rapid.’”?

The lesson contained in the poetic lines of Mrs. Aldis’ little tragedy is a bitter one for all those medical men who have made strenuous efforts to let the public share their deep and vast knowledge without so much as asking for the slightest compensation. It shows beyond a doubt that not only are the Ellies of this world unwilling to imbibe science in a popular form, but also the Aldises of a much higher intelligence. It shows that the lure of patent medicine is a very strong one and that a doctor’s “vague advice” cannot offset it. Strange, indeed, that a doctor’s “vague advice” should be so inconsequential opposite so patently fraudulent a preparation as “Caldwell’s Great Obesity Cure,” but stranger still is what we are about to record—namely, the failure of our medical propagandists to combat in an intelligent way that most simple of all our metabolic disturbances—obesity!

A Vers Libre Prize Contest

Through the generosity of a friend, THE LITTLE REVIEW is enabled to offer an unusual prize for poetry—possibly the first prize extended to free verse. The giver is “interested in all experiments, and has followed the poetry published in THE LITTLE REVIEW with keen appreciation and a growing admiration for the poetic form known as _vers libre_.”

The conditions are as follows:

Contributions must be received by August 15th.

They must not be longer than twenty-five lines.

They must be sent anonymously with stamps for return.

The name and address of the author must be fixed to the manuscript in a sealed envelope.

It should be borne in mind that free verse is wanted—verse having beauty of rhythm, not merely prose separated into lines.

There will be three judges, the appointing of whom has been left to the editor of THE LITTLE REVIEW. (Their names will be given in the next issue, as we are hurrying this announcement to press without having had time to consult anyone.)

There will be two prizes of $25 each. They are offered not as a first and second prize, but for “the two best short poems in free verse form.”

As there will probably be a large number of poems to read, we suggest that contributors adhere closely to the conditions of the contest.

Margaret Sanger

Will speak at the Chicago Little Theatre

SUNDAY, APRIL 30, at 8:15

“The Child’s Right Not to be Born”

Margaret Sanger

“Birth Control”

West Side Auditorium

TUESDAY, APRIL 25, at 8:15

MAURICE BROWN, CHAIRMAN AUSPICES BIRTH CONTROL LEAGUE

Taylor and Racine Avenue Admission 25 cents

THE EGOIST

An Individualist Review

In the APRIL NUMBER of THE EGOIST our new Serial Story: “_TARR_,” by MR. WYNDHAM LEWIS opens with a long installment.

In the MAY NUMBER MISS DORA MARSDEN will resume her Editorial Articles, MR. EZRA POUND will start a series of translations of the “_DIALOGUES of FONTENELLE_,” and the first of a Series of _LETTERS of a 20th CENTURY ENGLISHWOMAN_ will also appear. These Letters bear particularly upon the interests and education of modern women.

MADAME CIOLKOWSKA will continue the “_PARIS CHRONICLE_” and her new series of articles on “_THE FRENCH WORD IN MODERN PROSE_.”

Further prose contributors will include: H. S. WEAVER, RICHARD ALDINGTON (also poetry), A. W. G. RANDALL (studies in modern German poetry), JOHN COURNOS, F. S. FLINT, LEIGH HENRY (studies in contemporary music), M. MONTAGU-NATHAN, HUNTLY CARTER, MARGARET STORM JAMESON and others.

_THE EGOIST_ will also continue to publish regularly the work of _Young English and American Poets_, and poems (in French) by _Modern French Poets_.

PUBLISHED MONTHLY

Price—Fifteen cents a number Yearly subscription, One Dollar Sixty Cents

OAKLEY HOUSE, BLOOMSBURY STREET, LONDON, W. C.

PIANO TRIUMPHANT

The artistic outgrowth of forty-five years of constant improvement—a piano conceived to better all that has proven best in others.

GEO. P. BENT GRAND

Could you but compare it with all others, artistically it must be your choice. Each day proves this more true.

Geo. P. Bent Grand, Style “A”—a small Grand, built for the home—your home.

GEO. P. BENT COMPANY

Manufacturers of Artistic Pianos Retailers of Victrolas 214 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago

BUY YOUR BOOKS HERE

If you wish to assist The Little Review without cost to yourself you may order books—any book—from the Gotham Book Society and The Little Review will be benefitted by the sales. By this method The Little Review hopes to help solve a sometimes perplexing business problem—whether the book you want is listed here or not the Gotham will supply your needs. Price the same, or in many instances much less, than were you to order direct from the publisher. All books are exactly as advertised. Send P. O. Money Order, check, draft or postage stamps. Order direct from the Gotham Book Society, 142 W. 23rd St., N. Y., Dept. K. Don’t fail to mention Department K. Here are some suggestions of the books the Gotham Book Society is selling at publishers’ prices. All prices cover postage charges.

POETRY AND DRAMA

SEVEN SHORT PLAYS. By Lady Gregory. Contains the following plays by the woman who holds one of the three places of most importance in the modern Celtic movement, and is chiefly responsible for the Irish theatrical development of recent years: “Spreading the News,” “Hyacinth Halvey,” “The Rising of the Moon,” “The Jackdaw,” “The Workhouse Ward,” “The Traveling Man,” “The Gaol Gate,” together with music for songs in the plays and explanatory notes. Send $1.60.

THE MAN WHO MARRIED A DUMB WIFE. By Anatole France. Translated by Curtis Hidden Page. Illustrated. Founded on the plot of an old but lost play mentioned by Rabelais. Send 85c.

THE GARDENER. By Rabindranath Tagore. The famous collection of lyrics of love and life by the Nobel Prizeman. Send $1.35.

DOME OF MANY-COLORED GLASS. New Ed. of the Poems of Amy Lowell. Send $1.35.

SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY. By Edgar Lee Masters. Send $1.35.

DREAMS AND DUST. A book of lyrics, ballads and other verse forms in which the major key is that of cheerfulness. Send $1.28.

SOME IMAGIST POETS. An Anthology. The best recent work of Richard Aldington, “H. D.,” John Gould Fletcher, F. S. Flint, D. H. Lawrence and Amy Lowell. 83c, postpaid.

THE WAGES OF WAR. By J. Wiegand and Wilhelm Scharrelman. A play in three acts, dedicated to the Friends of Peace. Life in Russia during Russo-Japanese War. Translated by Amelia Von Ende. Send 95c.

THE DAWN (Les Aubes). A symbolic war play, by Emile Verhaeren, the poet of the Belgians. The author approaches life through the feelings and passions. Send $1.10.

CHILD OF THE AMAZONS, and other Poems by Max Eastman. “Mr. Eastman has the gift of the singing line.”—Vida D. Scudder. “A poet of beautiful form and feeling.”—Wm. Marion Reedy. Send $1.10.

THE POET IN THE DESERT. By Charles Erskine Scott Wood. A series of rebel poems from the Great American Desert, dealing with Nature, Life and all phases of Revolutionary Thought. Octavo gray boards. Send $1.10.

CHALLENGE. By Louis Untermeyer. “No other contemporary poet has more independently and imperiously voiced the dominant thought of the times.”—Philadelphia North American. Send $1.10.

ARROWS IN THE GALE. By Arturo Giovannitti, introduction by Helen Keller. This book contains the thrilling poem “The Cage.” Send $1.10.

SONGS FOR THE NEW AGE. By James Oppenheim. “A rousing volume, full of vehement protest and splendor.” Beautifully bound. Send $1.35.

AND PIPPA DANCES. By Gerhart Hauptmann. A mystical tale of the glassworks, in four acts. Translated by Mary Harned. Send 95c.

AGNES BERNAUER. By Frederick Hebbel. A tragedy in five acts. Life in Germany in 15th century. Translated by Loueen Pattie. Send 95c.

IN CHAINS (“Les Tenailles”). By Paul Hervieu. In three acts. A powerful arraignment of “Marriage a La Mode.” Translated by Ysidor Asckenasy. Send 95c.

SONGS OF LOVE AND REBELLION. Covington Hall’s best and finest poems on Revolution, Love and Miscellaneous Visions. Send 56c.

RENAISSANCE. By Holger Drachman. A melodrama. Dealing with studio life in Venice, 16th century. Translated by Lee M. Hollander. Send 95c.

THE MADMAN DIVINE. By Jose Echegaray. Prose drama in four acts. Translated by Elizabeth Howard West. Send 95c.

TO THE STARS. By Leonid Andreyieff. Four acts. A glimpse of young Russia in the throes of the Revolution. Time: The Present. Translated by Dr. A. Goudiss. Send 95c.

PHANTASMS. By Roberto Bracco. A drama in four acts, translated by Dirce St. Cyr. Send 95c.

THE HIDDEN SPRING. By Roberto Bracco. A drama in four acts, translated by Dirce St. Cyr. Send 95c.

THE DRAMA LEAGUE SERIES. A series of modern plays, published for the Drama League of America. Attractively bound.

THE THIEF. By Henry Bernstein. (Just Out).

A FALSE SAINT. By Francois de Curel.

THE TRAIL OF THE TORCH. By Paul Hervieu.

MY LADY’S DRESS. By Edward Knoblauch.

A WOMAN’S WAY. By Thompson Buchanan.

THE APOSTLE. By Paul Hyacinthe Loyson. Each of the above books 82c, postpaid.

DRAMATIC WORKS, VOLUME VI. By Gerhart Hauptmann. The sixth volume, containing three of Hauptmann’s later plays. Send $1.60.

THE DAWN (Les Aubes). A symbolic war play, by Emile Verhaeren, the poet of the Belgians. “The author approaches life through the feelings and passions. His dramas express the vitality and strenuousness of his people.” Send $1.10.

THE GREEK COMMONWEALTH. By Alfred A. Zimmern. Send $3.00.

EURIPIDES: “Hippolytus,” “Bacchae,” Aristophanes’ “Frogs.” Translated by Gilbert Murray. Send $1.75.

THE TROJAN WOMEN. Translated by Gilbert Murray. Send 85c.

MEDEA. Translated by Gilbert Murray. Send 85c.

ELECTRA. Translated by Gilbert Murray. Send 85c.

ANCIENT GREEK LITERATURE. By Gilbert Murray. Send $2.10.

EURIPIDES AND HIS AGE. By Gilbert Murray. Send 75c.

GENERAL

VAGRANT MEMORIES. By William Winter. Illustrated. The famous dramatic critic tells of his associations with the drama for two generations. Send $3.25.

THE NEARING CASE. By Lightner Witmer. A complete account of the dismissal of Professor Nearing from the University of Pennsylvania, containing the indictment, the evidence, the arguments, the summing up and all the important papers in the case, with some indication of its importance to the question of free speech. 60c postpaid.

THE ART OF THE MOVING PICTURE. By Vachel Lindsay. Send $1.60.

WRITING AND SELLING A PLAY. By Fanny Cannon. A practical book by a woman who is herself an actress, a playwright, a professional reader and critic of play manuscripts, and has also staged and directed plays. Send $1.60.

GLIMPSES OF THE COSMOS. A Mental Autobiography. By Lester F. Ward. Vol. IV. The fourth in the series of eight volumes which will contain the collected essays of Dr. Ward. Send $2.65.

EVERYMAN’S ENCYCLOPEDIA is the cure for inefficiency. It is the handiest and cheapest form of modern collected knowledge, and should be in every classroom, every office, every home. Twelve volumes in box. Cloth. Send $6.00. Three Other Styles of Binding. Mail your order today.

NIETZSCHE. By Dr. Georg Brandes, the discoverer of Nietzsche. Send $1.25.

WAR AND CULTURE. By John Cowper Powys. Send 70c.

SHATTUCK’S PARLIAMENTARY ANSWERS. By Harriette R. Shattuck. Alphabetically arranged for all questions likely to arise in Women’s organizations. 16mo. Cloth. 67c postpaid. Flexible Leather Edition. Full Gilt Edges. Net $1.10 postpaid.

EAT AND GROW THIN. By Vance Thompson. A collection of the hitherto unpublished Mahdah menus and recipes for which Americans have been paying fifty-guinea fees to fashionable physicians in order to escape the tragedy of growing fat. Cloth. Send $1.10.

FORTY THOUSAND QUOTATIONS. By Charles Noel Douglas. These 40,000 prose and poetical quotations are selected from standard authors of ancient and modern times, are classified according to subject, fill 2,000 pages, and are provided with a thumb index. $3.15, postpaid.

THE CRY FOR JUSTICE. An anthology of the literature of social protest, edited by Upton Sinclair. Introduction by Jack London. “The work is world-literature, as well as the Gospel of a universal humanism.” Contains the writings of philosophers, poets, novelists, social reformers, selected from twenty-five languages, covering a period of five thousand years. Inspiring to every thinking man and woman; a handbook of reference to all students of social conditions. 955 pages, including 32 illustrations. Cloth Binding, vellum cloth, price very low for so large a book. Send $2.00. Three-quarter Leather Binding, a handsome and durable library style, specially suitable for presentation. Send $3.50.

MY CHILDHOOD. By Maxim Gorky. The autobiography of the famous Russian novelist up to his seventeenth year. An astounding human document and an explanation (perhaps unconscious) of the Russian national character. Frontispiece portrait. 8vo, 308 pages. $2.00 net, postage 10 cents. (Ready Oct. 14).

AFFIRMATIONS. By Havelock Ellis. A discussion of some of the fundamental questions of life and morality as expressed in, or suggested by, literature. The subjects of the five studies are Nietzsche, Zola, Huysmans, Casanova and St. Francis of Assisi. Send $1.87.

LITERATURE

COMPLETE WORKS. Maurice Maeterlinck. The Essays, 10 vols., per vol., net $1.75. The Plays, 8 vols., per vol., net $1.50. Poems, 1 vol., net $1.50. Volumes sold separately. In uniform style, 19 volumes. Limp green leather, flexible cover, thin paper, gilt top, 12mo. Postage added.

INTERPRETATIONS OF LITERATURE. By Lafcadio Hearn. A remarkable work. Lafcadio Hearn became as nearly Japanese as an Occidental can become. English literature is interpreted from a new angle in this book. Send $6.50.

BERNARD SHAW: A Critical Study. By P. P. Howe. Send $2.15.

MAURICE MAETERLINCK: A Critical Study. By Una Taylor. 8vo. Send $2.15.

W. B. YEATS: A Critical Study. By Forest Reid. Send $2.15.

DEAD SOULS. Nikolai Gogol’s great humorous classic translated from the Russian. Send $1.25.

ENJOYMENT OF POETRY. By Max Eastman. “His book is a masterpiece,” says J. B. Kerfoot in Life. By mail, $1.35.

THE PATH OF GLORY. By Anatole France. Illustrated. 8vo. Cloth. An English edition of a remarkable book that M. Anatole France has written to be sold for the benefit of disabled soldiers. The original French is printed alongside the English translation. Send $1.35.

THE PILLAR OF FIRE: A Profane Baccalaureate. By Seymour Deming. Takes up and treats with satire and with logical analysis such questions as, What is a college education? What is a college man? What is the aristocracy of intellect?—searching pitilessly into and through the whole question of collegiate training for life. Send $1.10.

IVORY APES AND PEACOCKS. By James Huneker. A collection of essays in Mr. Huneker’s well-known brilliant style, of which some are critical discussions upon the work and personality of Conrad, Whitman, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and the younger Russians, while others deal with music, art, and social topics. The title is borrowed from the manifest of Solomon’s ship trading with Tarshish. Send $1.60.

INTERPRETATIONS OF ENGLISH LITERATURE. By Lafcadio Hearn. Two volumes. Mr. Hearn, who was at once a scholar, a genius, and a master of English style, interprets in this volume the literature of which he was a student, its masterpieces, and its masters, for the benefit, originally, of the race of his adoption. $6.50, postpaid.

IDEALS AND REALITIES IN RUSSIAN LITERATURE. By Prince Kropotkin. Send $1.60.

VISIONS AND REVISIONS. By John Cowper Powys. A Book of Literary Devotions. Send $2.10.

SIX FRENCH POETS. By Amy Lowell. First English book to contain a minute and careful study of Verhaeren, Albert Samain, Remy de Gourmont, Henri de Régnier, Francis Jammes and Paul Fort. Send $2.75.

LANDMARKS IN RUSSIAN LITERATURE. By Maurice Baring. Intimate studies of Tolstoi, Turgenev, Gogol, Chekov, Dostoevsky. Send $2.00.

FICTION

THE TURMOIL. By Booth Tarkington. A beautiful story of young love and modern business. Send $1.45.

SET OF SIX. By Joseph Conrad. Short stories. Scribner. Send $1.50.

AN ANARCHIST WOMAN. By H. Hapgood. This extraordinary novel points out the nature, the value and also the tragic limitations of the social rebel. Published at $1.25 net; our price, 60c, postage paid.