The Long Drive into the Wilderness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A dry, dusty chuckle rasped through the line, reminding Dale of nothing so much as a snake crawling over a rock. "Your friend is a little indisposed. I'm afraid he can't speak right now."

"Don't do it, Yuri. He had nothing to do with this."

"Well ... that's a shame, Sergei. If I'd known that an hour ago, we could have avoided making a mess here. Do you know how many feet of small intestine are in the human body? Hold on, I'll measure it for you."

Dale slammed the handset on the phone base. He clenched his eyes shut. Colin ... I'm so sorry, man. He allowed himself five seconds of grief before his urge to survive kicked in again. He spun, half-expecting Maggie to have run but she still sat where he'd told her.

She licked her lips. "Yuri? He's here?"

"Yeah, he's close. Too close."

Fear etched her features. "Can we go?"

"Absolutely."

The attendant had bagged several types of overpriced sandwiches, two varieties of chips, and the requested water along with a bottled iced tea. Dale paid with cash from his shrinking reserve, handed the bag to Maggie, and walked her to the car. They got in and peeled away into the Tennessee night without another word.

#

Dale ditched the car in Knoxville as soon as the rental agency opened--along with his now-useless primary ID--and rented another, with his second set of fake documents. He prayed that set wasn't compromised as well but without many options, he was forced to hope for the best. He knew that if he could get enough of a lead over his pursuit, he could get a new set made. That thought made him glance at the passenger seat.

Maggie slumped against the window, dozing. Hungrier than she'd let on, she ended up eating three of the sandwiches and both bags of chips. She'd also drunk her iced tea and two bottles of water. Dale had been fine with that; lingering thoughts of his old friend in Yuri's hand had killed his appetite. Still, given her small figure, he wondered where she put it all.

I'll have to wait until I drop her off before I get new docs. Otherwise, when they catch her, she'll just tell them who I am now.

The notion that Yuri was certain to find Maggie was unpleasant. If she'd only run away, Yuri certainly would not have wasted time or family resources chasing down one blonde floozy--and probably would have reigned in Vasily as well. But with Vasily dead, Yuri would stop at nothing to find and punish the people who did it.

Dale gave a mirthless chuckle at that. Yuri was literally the only one Vasily feared. But family meant everything to the Petrovs, and even though Yuri used to slap Vasily around, Dale knew damn well that the older brother would avenge the younger's death.

Maggie stirred. "Where are we?"

"About twenty miles out from Memphis."

She peered at the dashboard clock. "You've been driving for over five hours."

"Yeah, we'll stop for gas in the next few exits."

"Good, I need to use the restroom. And you should stretch your legs. It's not good to sit in one position for so long."

Dale laughed. "Considering our situation, worrying about leg cramps seems like a small concern."

"We might have to run at some point. If so, you won't want to be stiff."

"That's fair." Dale paused, considering his next words. "If I let you go off to the restroom by yourself, are you going to take off?"

She pivoted in the seat and gave a critical look. "And go where? Just wander around Memphis until Yuri picks me up? No thanks."

"So what was your plan? Where did you want to go?"

"I don't know." Maggie looked at her lap. "I just had to get away from Vasily. I couldn't take it anymore. I mean, my parents and little brothers live in Iowa but I don't want to go there, because I don't want Yuri or any of the Petrovs anywhere near them. If something happened to my family because of me ..."

"Okay, I get that."

"Can I just stick with you for a little while longer?"

He gave her a long look. "I can't save you, Maggie. I can't even save myself."

She bit her lip and nodded. "Maybe not but it's a better chance than I'd have alone. What's your plan?"

"Just keep driving, for now. At some point, we'll switch cars and directions."

"Do you have any family you can count on?"

"Not anymore. Colin ..." Dale sighed. "He was my Dad's best friend for a lot of years before he came back to Tennessee to help his family. He always treated me like a nephew. I didn't think Dmitiri or Yuri knew about him. When I ran, I thought he'd be able to help, but you see how well that worked out." Like everything else in my life, he added to himself.

Warm fingers touched his shoulder. Dale flinched and glanced at her.

Maggie gave him a gentle squeeze. "I'm sorry about your friend."

"Me too."

They stopped at a travel plaza and glided to a halt next to a gas pump. Dale was glad to see the place wasn't too busy. Before they exited the car, Dale plucked two ball caps from his bag. One featured fringes of longer hair stapled around the inside of the strap, in his shade. He placed it on his head, lengthening the appearance of his hair in the rear.

Maggie giggled. "I never like mullets."

"I don't either but it will make us less identifiable to anyone checking security footage and such." Facial recognition might catch them but he was more concerned about descriptions of them circulating than he was the Petrovs analyzing every foot of camera footage in the southeast. Dale thrust the other hat at her. "Here. Put this one on and tuck your hair underneath it."

"Okay." She did, which made her appear even younger. "You're paying cash, right? Do you trust me to take it to the register to pay for gas?

"No, I'm paying with a credit card. It's not a card in a name they know about. I hope."

"Okay." She started to open the door. "Why did you pay cash last night?"

"Because the Petrovs knew I was there, in the area. I didn't want the attendant there to associate me with the name on a card when Yuri came around asking questions. I probably could have used the card with my dead ID but I had a lot on my mind at that moment."

"Makes sense. You've been doing this a while."

"Not really but you learn quick or you get dead. Go hit the restroom while I fill us up. Don't talk to anyone, okay?"

"Sure." Maggie exited and headed toward the building, her hands in her pockets and head down.

Dale worked the pump, wondering if letting her go was the right solution. He spotted a car belonging to the Tennessee Highway Patrol; he wondered if Maggie would go inside, spot the state troopers, and run to them with the story. If so, he'd have to run, though out here on the highway, it would be tough to lose pursuit.

Even so, better I try and end up wrapped around a bridge support, than go to jail. Yuri would have someone in the same cell as me in less than forty-eight hours.

Less than five minutes after she entered, he spotted Maggie on her way back, by herself. She got in the car, and buckled herself in just as he finished gassing up. Dale made his own visit to the facilities, returned, and they drove off.

For the first few moments, they were silent. At last, he said, "State troopers were there."

"I saw them."

He glanced her way. "Tempted?"

Maggie shook her head and took off her hat. Her pigtails fell back to her shoulders. "And tell them what? I'd end up in custody or at least in the system, where I am sure the Petrovs would find me."

"I had a similar thought."

She looked his way and a sudden smile--the first real one Dale had seen from her--sprang to Maggie's face. It was a cheery, radiant kind of smile, all even white teeth and perfectly-contoured lips. He blinked and looked back at traffic. "What?"

"You can take off that hat now. Makes you look like a doofus."

"Oh." He doffed the hat and threw it in the back. "I must be a doofus to find myself in this situation."

She patted his shoulder again. "Well, that makes two of us, then."

#

They turned off the interstate at Ft. Smith around the time the sun set and headed north. When they got close to Fayetteville, Dale said, "I think we're going to have to stop for the night."

Maggie nodded. She'd been lost in her own thoughts for several hours, to the point where the only sounds had been the hum of the engine, the rhythmic thunk of the worn road, and soft country music emanating from the speakers.

"We're going to have to be careful. Most motels have cameras now, so I think we should wear our hats again."

"Okay."

"Maggie? Is there a problem?"

She sighed. "No."

He left her alone.

The Roadside Family Inn didn't look like much but it was exactly what Dale wanted: low-profile and no security cameras that he could spot. The lights of a Walmart shimmered in the distance and he made a note that if they needed to get some supplies in the morning, that might be as good a place as any.

He wheeled the car into the parking lot. They donned their caps again. "Come on."

Maggie undid her seatbelt, her motions stiff and mechanical.

The clerk checked them in and barely gave them a second glance. Dale made sure to keep his head tilted slightly down and away from the camera in the corner. They found their room as spartan as a commercial hotel could be. One king size bed, a scratched nightstand, and a battered-looking television chained to the wall completed the furnishings.

Maggie sat on the bed, clutching her bag in both hands. Her eyes were distant and glazed.

"We'll stay here tonight and head west tomorrow, into Oklahoma." Dale had done some research before fleeing Virginia. Most of the organized criminal activity in Oklahoma was various flavors of biker gangs, with a little bit of cartel action, none of which was known to associate or work closely with the Russian mob types.

She nodded.

"Are you hungry?"

She shrugged.

Dale frowned. "Do you want a shower or something?"

"N-no, let's just fuck and get it over with."

His skin went cold. "What are you talking about?"

"I said you could fuck me. You didn't want me to come with you until I said that, and then you agreed. I'll keep my word." Maggie stood. Her lip trembled and she refused to meet his gaze. "Just please don't hurt me."

Dale closed his eyes. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. What did Vasily do to her? "Maggie, I am not going to have sex with you."

An even more stricken look crossed her face. "You're going to kick me out?"

"No, I ... look, sit back down, would you?"

She did.

"Maggie, I'll be honest, I brought you with me for very selfish reasons that had nothing to do with sex. I couldn't afford to leave you in Dandridge because if Yuri caught up to you, you'd tell him I killed his brother, what I was driving, wearing, and which way I was going. I couldn't afford that."

"I wouldn't--" She bit her lip as reality hit her. Dale knew that if Yuri got his hooks into her, Maggie would talk, and she realized it as well.

"I'm sorry I wasn't being more selfless but that's the truth. I was saving my own ass." He took a deep breath. "If you feel used and are pissed off, I get it. We're far enough away that if you want to go off on your own, I won't stop you. I'll give you some cash and wish you well."

She gazed at him. "And if I don't want to go off on my own?"

Dale blinked. Her response was the last thing he expected. "I guess you can ride with me for a while."

"Okay."

"Why would you want to do that?"

"I guess I feel ... safe with you. Does that make sense?"

"Not at all," Dale said, shaking his head. "You thought I was going to ... well, rape you basically."

"I know but being with you has kept me away from Yuri, which is more important than the other." Her dry chuckle was sudden, and bitter. "I mean, it wouldn't be the first time I fucked a guy to keep my throat from getting cut. Do you know what really bothered me?"

"What?"

"I got comfortable with you on this drive. You hadn't hurt or threatened me and I started to see you as a good person. I think the idea that you were just like the rest of them--all the guys who used me--was what bothered me the most." Unshed tears shone in her eyes. "And then you said you wouldn't. I don't know what to think about you ... but I know I would rather stay with you than let Yuri find me."

Dale looked away, his thoughts confused. She sees basic human decency as something extraordinary. Talk about fucked-up. This chick needs a decade of therapy. He laughed to himself. But then again, so do you, bucky-boy.

He faced her again. "I can't really protect you. I'm not a tough guy, Maggie. Sure, I'm good with a gun but I'm a lousy fighter. If they catch us alive, they're going to torture me to death and probably you too."

"I'll chance it."

They stared at each other for a long moment. Dale turned aside and rubbed his chin. Something about staring into her eyes only amplified his guilt. "All right. We'll need to eat and possibly duck out to Walmart for a few things."

"Okay. Sergei?"

"What?" He faced her again,

Maggie lowered her eyes. "I only have a few dollars. I don't know when or even if I'll be able to pay you back but--"

"I've got you covered."

An uncertain smile lit her lips. Her voice was only a whisper. "Thank you."

The Walmart turned out to be like most of those Dale had been in. He tried to act nonchalant and kept his eyes searching for threats and packed the cart with snacks and canned foods while Maggie grabbed a few things. No one seemed to pay them any mind.

When they got back to the room, she said, "I think I would like that shower now. Also--" She held up two boxes of dye and arched her brows. "I'm going to change my hair color. You prefer brunettes or redheads?"

"Either is fine."

"I'm going to try red, then. I've never been one. Back in a bit."

Dale watched her walk to the bathroom. She seemed to have a bit more bounce in her stride than she had before. He sensed a rather cheery disposition lurking beneath her despondency and he wondered again at what Vasily had done to her.

Given what I saw of Vasily, I can probably guess.

His eyes fell on her ass and a thought skittered through his mind, that it looked like it would fit perfectly in his hands. Dale wrenched his gaze away, annoyed to have even noticed.

He flipped through the limited television offerings but didn't find anything to catch his interest. Eventually, the shower came on and he gathered she'd had the dye in her hair long enough. There was no mention in the various news shows regarding the events in Dandridge, but he figured a gunfight in another state that involved two deaths would be considered "minor" by local reporting standards. A can of cold tuna quelled the growling in his stomach. The shower finally stopped, replaced by the sounds of a hair dryer. After a while, he left the channel on a national news scroll at a low volume and fell into a semi-doze, his hand resting on his holstered pistol. The opening of the bathroom door woke him. His eyes flicked to the opening as she emerged.

Maggie had left her hair down. Freed of its pigtails, she'd parted it in the middle and let her now fiery copper-red mane hang straight to her shoulders. With the fresh color, it gleamed in the low light. She'd put on a tee shirt and pair of mid-thigh bicycle shorts. Her bare feet padded on the cheap motel room carpet.

She saw him looking and offered a tentative smile. "What do you think?"

"Looks good."

Maggie snorted. "You didn't even look. Typical man. Shower's yours."

"I'll pass."

Her smile faded. "You still don't trust me, do you?"

"I'm sorry, Maggie, but I can't." He flipped the remote onto the bedspread. "Here, you can watch whatever you want."

"No, I think I am ready to sleep." She eyed the bed.

"Don't worry, I'll sleep on the floor."

"Really, Sergei?" She narrowed her eyes and put her hands on her hips. "You need your rest too and you didn't sleep at all last night. I don't want you getting tired and driving off the road tomorrow. We can share the bed. I promise, I won't try anything--and I'll take you at your word you won't either." Her face twitched. "I mean ... if you are going to try something, what can I do about it?"

"So you don't fully trust me either?"

She looked away. "I guess we're not there yet. Can we just sleep?"

They killed the lights and got in the sheets. Maggie took the side away from the door and rolled to the edge. Dale lay on his back and tried to relax, tried to slow his careening thoughts. Several moments later, he caught the deep, steady breaths from his companion which told him that in spite of fears, she'd fallen into an exhausted sleep. At last he felt his lids growing heavy again and he faded away.

#

Whatever it was, it was warm. Dale frowned in his sleep. There should have been nothing warm next to him, except-- His eyes blinked open.

Sometime while they slept, Maggie had scooted against him. Laying on her left side, she'd backed herself into Dale, and he had rolled the same way, molding his shape to her. Her hair tickled his nose and the faint residual chemical stench of the hair dyes invaded his nose. His right hand rested on her hip and the throb of his erection poked into her rear.

Taking care not to wake her, he began to slide away.

Her hand grabbed his and held it in place. "No," she murmured, her voice low. "Stay there. Please."

He knew he shouldn't but the heat of her soft form was welcome and comfortable. Dale struggled with it a moment, then relaxed and stilled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to."

"It's fine." Maggie continued to hold his hand. When it was obvious he wasn't going to move, she sighed and snuggled against him. "You're nice and warm."

"So are you. What time is it? I can't see the clock."

"A little after three."

"Too early to get up."

Maggie was quiet for a moment. When she spoke, her voice was pensive. "Sergei?"

"I guess at this point you can call me Dale. Dale Wilson."

"Why Dale?"

"Sergei was the name I was born with but it never fit. I heard Dale when I was young and liked it, so when I had a chance, I started using it. I didn't tell you at first because I didn't think we'd be together very long and ... well, Yuri and his boys know both names so I guess it doesn't matter."

"Okay, Dale it is. Do you think we're going to get away? Really?"

He thought for a moment before reality crashed around in. He might escape the Petrovs' wrath for a while but eventually, no matter where he ran, they'd find him. If he hadn't acted the previous night ... "No. Not forever."

"Is it because you killed Vasily?"

"Partially that, and partially because I betrayed them."

She stiffened slightly. "Were you in their organization?"

"Sort of but not exactly. It's a long story and I don't know if I'm ready to talk about it."

"Don't, then." She scooted even further into him and pulled his hand from her hip to her belly. His thumb grazed over the swell of her breast and Dale cursed to himself, as his erection got even stronger. He wished the thing would just go away.

For her part, Maggie seemed content to stay nestled against him. They dozed quietly for several more hours before getting dressed and getting back on the road.

#

Dale already knew his luck was complete shit. It had been since he'd been a kid. Always the one to land on Go To Jail when playing Monopoly or to draw complete garbage hands at poker. It had gotten so bad that his friends had teased him about it. As he got older, Dale started to think he was the walking, talking embodiment of Murphy's Law ... that if something--anything--could go wrong in his life, it would.

Which is why, thirty miles outside of Oklahoma City, the radio in the rental decided to go out. He fiddled with the dials for a few moments but nothing happened, so he sat back and waited.

123456...8