The Long Game

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please let Mr. Stevens know what's going on and let him know I will be back to see him in a few days," I said.

Dr. Madill said that he would.

Dad after parking the truck at home came around and helped me down. He held onto me tight to make sure he could catch me if I fell. Mom hearing voices opened the front door to greet us. We both watched her put her hand over her mouth as she screamed in joy. Thankfully they had built a wheelchair ramp in case it would have been needed.

I used the side railings to help support me as I move up towards the front door. My legs were screaming for mercy, but I edged my way in. Dr. Madill had been right I had overdone it big time. I had made it this far so I knew I could make it a few feet more.

When we got to the kitchen table there was a knock at the door. My dad went to answer it, I pulled out a chair and sat down totally exhausted. It was Dr. Madill he wanted to check me out. After doing that he read me the riot act but did it with a big smile. I admit it I deserved it but dam I would do again.

Handing his keys to my dad Dr. Madill said, "In my trunk is two canes I got for Don to use for a few days. Will you go get them while I am removing the front of the halo and the chin support. I think Don has proved to us that he doesn't need them. The rest has to stay on until I see another set of x-rays on him."

With the halo partly off I took the two canes and stood up. It was decided they had to be adjusted. I asked Dad if I could borrow his shaving equipment. After getting it, he placed them in the downstairs bathroom. I got up using the one cane for support and went in to shave.

When I came out, I was starting to look like my old self. Now I needed a decent haircut. Mom asked me if there was anything I wanted. I told her, one of your cigarettes, two grilled cheese sandwiches, and a beer.

She started making me four. I would have to go to the hospital for ex-rays and to get the rest of my items from the nursing home. Once the halo was off, he would set me up in rehab for at least two weeks depending on my progress.

"I'm proud of you Donald," Dr. Madill said. "You never believed us and didn't give up when others would have. Keep in mind that you have to keep seeing the specialist until he tells you not to come anymore because if you don't it could majorly damage the insurance payout your due."

Dad escorted Dr. Madill to his car and they talked for a few. My mother watched me eat sandwiches while trying not to get too emotional. It was good to eat real food again.

When dad returned, he got out the good scotch and poured us all a drink. When he sat down at the table, we started to talk.

With me, in the hospital, Simon had gotten Linda to start singing in the band. She found she liked it. As a result, thanks to her, his band growing in popularity and getting better gigs. It got serious about the time her visits started slowing down. He had moved into my home six months after my accident.

They had built the wheelchair ramp expecting the worse. Preparing for the futures when they could bring me home since I no longer had a home to go to.

"Dad I'm going to need my schoolbooks, my computer, and personal items as soon as possible. I will contact the university and see about starting up again," I said. "I will have to get to the bank to see what's left in the accounts if my name is still on them."

"Okay Donald enough, you have to explain all that happened today," My mother said.

So, I told her about the cigars and everything that happened afterward.

She laughed and said, "Figures, you're just like your grandfather. When I tell him, he will say something like give the man a trophy."

"Your dad will take a day off from the shop and he will go get all your belongings from your house," My mom said. "But first I'm going to go get you some clothing from Walmart."

My dad saw mom out then he poured us another drink then said, "The cop heard what you said to Linda. You're going to be watched so be careful."

"Dad, Linda, and Simon will be living in fear for the next little while. It's got to hurt their relationship. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they start blaming each other for the situation that they find themselves in. Then just when they are starting to get back into their routine the divorce papers will be served," I said. "I'm going to make it as dirty and mean as possible. Since the vehicle they are driving is in my name I will have it seized when they're on the road, leaving them stranded."

"So, you're playing a long game with their lives," My dad said. "What about the threat on Simon's hands."

"That he will do to himself with a little help," I said. "Simon is basically an immature adult who always goes after the next shiny thing regardless. If it's got a skirt attached to it even better. I have a couple of friends whose husband will take care of that as soon as I introduce Simon to their wives."

"Are you sure about that," My dad asked.

I looked at him and said, "I'm walking aren't I. If things change what I do will have to do will too. Rest assured it's not if it's when"

----------------

Getting out of the bed the next morning was difficult but I managed. I had to roll off the bed to the floor then stand up. It was hard but I did it. The more I worked my legs and arms the more they came back. I had to be back at the hospital at ten for the x-rays. While I was having that done my dad would go gather the rest of my belongings. Thank god my mother had gotten me a pair of slip-on shoes. I would not have been able to tie them. Using the cane, I made it out to the kitchen table.

We made it just in time to get in for my x-rays because my movements were slow. As soon as it was done the head of the department checked them over and called the specialist. As soon as he saw the x-rays, they were given permission to remove the halo my head

As soon as it was off, I found my body movements easier. I then walked over to Dr. Madill's office where my mother met me. I was told I would start rehab in two weeks.

We went to the bank to check on my bank account. I had been receiving an income allowance against the insurance claim of two thousand a month by direct deposit. None of it existed. I called the lawyer who texted me the routing number. The bank using that number discovered that it had all been rerouted and deposited into another account in a different bank. The person owning that account was my soon to be ex-wife's lover Simon.

It took them half an hour to find the authorization form for the rerouting of the funds. My signature had been forged. The date it had been signed on I was able to prove that I was in the hospital. By the time I left the branch office I had a new account, all the funds restored, and a new debit card. I used it to take out two hundred. I finally got my hair cut.

The bank was calling in the police to begin having it all looked into.

My leg strength was coming back slowly, but I found that I tired easily. My mom took me home so I could rest.

Dad was able to get my stuff. They had it all packed for him. All my clothing, books, personal items, and computer equipment. They set the computer up in his den and removed the television set to the family room. After talking to admissions when they learned what happened they agree to allow me to start the year over with no additional fees.

I was sitting outside on the back patio enjoying the day when the rest of the family showed up. My two older sisters and my younger brother had to see it to believe it. All felt guilt-ridden for not believing in me or wanting to visit me more than they did.

I forgave them but I knew like all things our relationship had changed. It gave me a chance to catch up with what was going on in their lives. We visited for about an hour before my mother cut us off because I needed my rest.

I got my mom one afternoon to drive me to the nursing home because I wanted to see my old roommate. When she dropped me off, I promised to call her when I was ready to come home. I walked into his room to find him in his wheelchair.

"Old friend," I said. "I think we need to go out and smoke a couple of cigars if your game."

The nurse came into the room as I was wheeling him out. I had tied shoelaces to my two canes and had them hanging off my shoulder.

"Where are you taking Mr. Stevens," She asked.

"Out for a bit of fresh air, a chat, and a smoke," I said. "Don't worry I will bring him back."

"He said you would be back. We didn't believe him," she said.

"The stronger I get the more I will be here," I said. "Without his help, I wouldn't be standing."

We went outside and smoked a couple of cigars. I took him back in because he was getting tired. We visited for another hour before he drifted off to sleep.

It took me a week to feel about half normal. Each day I was using the cane less and less. I hired a feminist lawyer who was enraged by what my wife and lover had done. On a Friday my wife got served I got a visit from a Detective in the Police Department.

I explained what I knew about Simon McLaughlin. My father gave him copies of his lawyers dealing with him because of what he did. My dad and I learned he was going to be charged with identity theft, bank fraud, and extortion. If convicted, it meant five to seven years.

That night I went to see Mr. Stevens again to learn that he was going downhill fast. I was glad I did because he passed away with me beside him. Cancer had finally beat him, but he went down fighting to the very end. To this day I still wonder if he had willed himself to live because he wanted to see me walk again.

------------------

I arrived for my first day of rehab just right on time. The female physical therapist assigned by the rehab center was Simon's younger sister Colleen. I had to admit to myself that if she had not been my former friend's sister I would have been interested. My first inclination was to run. Thankfully neither one of us mentioned him.

Colleen was a very a hot firecracker who wouldn't put with any crap. We were both treading slowly as we were feeling each other out. She spent the day checking out everything I could do.

We spent most of the first day stretching my body muscles. I must admit she was surprised by how much I was able to do. So was I. It surprised me to see just how much of my balance I had gotten back. In three weeks, I had come along way. Colleen was pleasantly surprised when she suggested I try doing something a little different because I asked why? When I understood what her thoughts were, I made the adjustment, if I could. By the end of the day, I was exhausted.

"Do you think, "Colleen asked. "That you're ready to start using weights?"

"Strength was never the problem for me," I explained. "It was the lack of body movement for so long that did me in."

"Could you prove it without hurting yourself," Colleen asked?

I turned and faced her with a smile. As soon as I put my hands on her hips, I lifted her up. Colleen laughed then leaned her head down to mine and kissed me. So, I kissed her back. Colleen had her mother's features. She has an hourglass figure, blue eyes that sparkled, a smile that was warm and tender, a genuine interest in others, and a warm heart. With the determination that every woman of Scottish descent seemed to have. At five foot seven inches, she was just the right height to complement a man like me as I was five foot ten.

"You proved your point, Donald Earl Jameson. Now set me down," Colleen said. "Everyone, when they heard about your accident, thought you were done. My father said don't be surprised when he walks because everyone has underestimated the kind of man he is."

"Looks like your father was right," I said as I set her down. "To bad that another member of your family didn't think it out."

"Now that the whole truth is coming out," Colleen said. "The family feels that Simon has played us all. We have had to ask ourselves if he could do what he did to his best friend what could he do to us all. We hadn't seen much of him these last two years we now understand why."

"Simon and Linda's day is coming," I said. "They know it but just don't know when. I'm not the only one that is going after them. Linda got served the divorce petition last Friday on the grounds of adultery. Simon because of what I discovered after I left the hospital is under investigation. If convicted, he will be doing seven to ten."

"I used to watch you and my brother on the soccer fields. I was amazed to see that even though you were a better player than most you never hogged the ball and were very much a team player." Colleen said, "I got into a bad habit of comparing possible suitors to you. So, when do I get my first date?"

"If I was totally back, I would say tonight," I said honestly. "You and I both know you took it easy on me today and it still exhausted me."

Colleen looked at me as if she was discovering something about me that she didn't know already, "What kept you so positive for so long that you would walk?"

"Everything I did, I did because I had faith," I explained. "I've learned that if you don't believe in yourself no one else will. Everything done by those I loved was done because they did not."

Colleen took my hand and led me to a bench to sit down on.

"My mother's grandfather was a proud man who walked alone for most of his adult life. He too went through a situation that changed many things," Collen explained. "He and my great grandmother raised eight kids. To the rest of his family, he was never close to again. He took the high road; he never held their past conduct against them but to his family, the closeness was gone forever."

"I see where he was back then," I said. "Things are done at times to protect a person when really they're not doing any good by hiding it. He could see their deception as avoiding or facing the truth. It resulted in him losing the ability to blindly believe or to trust them again."

"What else did my brother do that our family may not be aware of," Colleen asked.

"He forged my signature to arrange the rerouting of a money transfer that was supposed to be used for my support. It was sent from the insurance corporation on the hook for my accident," I explained. "He had it transferred to a different bank to an account in his name."

Collen's face went white. Then the tears started to flow. I put my arm around her and pulled her tight against me.

"The bank restored the funds to me because we were able to prove that I could not have come in to sign the forms since I was strapped to the bed," I said. "When the police Detective came to see me. My dad showed and gave all the legal paperwork he had done to counter all the things your brother was doing while claiming to have the power of attorney to act on my behalf. What the bank had a copy of is also a forgery because it was dated and witnessed after I was bedridden."

We talked for a few minutes longer as I was waiting for a ride. I explained that I would not be in on Wednesday because I had a funeral I wanted to attend.

Mom noticed I was in a bit better mood, so I had to explain to her about how my day went over dinner. Afterward, I went after the university courses as hard as I could.

Tuesday when a break for lunch was called, I went outside to sit at a picnic table to have a smoke with the coffee I bought out of the machine. Colleen joined me later with two bags she had brought me lunch. Over lunch, I explained the friendship I had developed with Mr. Stevens. I told her that we had carried each other through the rough times.

----------------

It was a shock to see no one there at the funeral except my mother and me. The Salvation Army Captain did a nice job on the service. According to his will, his body had been cremated. After the service, I asked the Funeral Director what was being done with his ashes and was informed it had been turned over to his lawyer. As he understood it everything had been done according to his will.

We were just about ready to get in our car after loading the flower arrangements from the funeral into the car when a man approached us. It turns out he was Mr. Stevens's lawyer. We followed him back to his office. Mr. Stevens had lost his family years ago and had never remarried. As a result, he had changed his will leaving everything to me.

"His only request is that you take his ashes to the highest mountain in the area and throw them into the wind.' His lawyer said.

Then he laid out in detail what I had been left. Both my mother and I were surprised at how much he had been worth. As we were driving home, I told my mom that we could tell no one until the divorce was done. Both my mother and I both realized the inheritance has set me up for the rest of my life.

Colleen worked with me each day for the two weeks, every little detail about what I could do and could not do was recorded in detail. When I asked her why she replied because what you went through can have long term effects. I want everyone to know to what extent.

Although we had not started dating, we were completely honest with each other. Everyone around us could see the serious attraction between us growing. I got teased during rehab because I was the only one who had his lunch made for him on a daily basis.

Colleen took me to the office of Mr. Stevens's lawyer right after she said my needed rehab was done. When I got called in, I asked her to come to see him with me. I asked him if he would like to continue being my lawyer going forward. He agreed and I asked him to put together a team of advisors for me. He handed me Mr. Stevens ashes.

"Where are you going to distribute his ashes," he asked.

"On top of the mountain above what used to be his home, because it overlooks the mighty Mississippi," I said. "Even if I have to buy a new four by four to do it."

"It's a beautiful home with the waterfalls on the one hundred and twenty-five acres," he replied as he handed me the keys. "You will need a four by four to get around some of the property. I suggest you take the property out of the corporate trust that was set up in Canada as part of your retained earnings as soon as possible. Set up a board of directors and have them review everything before going forward. What was being done during the last few years was to manage his corporation and not for growth."

With that, he handed me an envelope that contained a cheque for over three million dollars and said, "This was all the cash in his personal accounts and bonds after I had his last tax return done and paid for the current year. The estate taxes are already paid and everything has been officially changed into your name."

Colleen then drove me to my bank that was open till nine so that I could deposit it.

When I came out, I said, "Does Red Lobster for supper sound good to you?

Over dinner, we talked about my new house and what I was going to do with it. I said I did not know until I saw it. I asked her if she was free tomorrow after ten because I would like her to go with me to see the house. She said yes but asked why that late? I said I have to purchase a Jeep Cherokee and insure it now that you have cleared me to drive.

After dinner, we went to the car dealership. After asking him for a discount for cash we worked out a deal subject to it passing a commercial vehicle inspection on a brand new silver Cherokee. The sales rep was shocked to see me use a debit card for full payment. When we left the car dealership Colleen asked did it take all of your funds to pay for it. I said no.

"Why did you ask for a commercial vehicle inspection," Colleen asked? "It doesn't make sense for a new vehicle."

"Anything man-made on an assembly line from parts created all over the world is a crapshoot," I said. "My dad who owns his own shop has always done it that way. It has saved himself from a lot of problems down the road."