The Long Game

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Colleen drove me home. She walked with me from the curb and kissed me good night. As soon as I got in my mother hit with me with the news. My second car had been seized about an hour ago in St Louis while Linda and Simon were setting up to play for the night thanks to the court order my lawyer had gotten. My mom asked me about Colleen, and I explained as honestly as I could about what I was feeling and why.

I went to bed with a smile on my face.

Dad drove me over to get the vehicle at nine am it had passed with flying colors. The first thing I did was get insurance and plates. At ten after ten, I pulled into Peter McLaughlin's place. As I approached the front door to call on Colleen, Peter opened the door.

"Come on in Don, Colleen is running behind," Peter said. "I want to thank you for not holding us responsible for what Simon did."

"He made his bed let him lie in it," I replied. "For him, the worst is yet to come."

"Colleen told us, just so you know we won't be posting bail for him," He said. "It's good to see you back, son. You are always welcome here."

To me, that said a lot about how his whole family felt.

Her mother was in the kitchen and started to make scones and tea. Of course, I could not insult her by refusing so I spent the next hour chatting with Colleen's parents with her right beside me.

Her younger sister caught me as I was coming out of the washroom at the end of the hall and whispered to me, Mom and dad figure the two of you will be married within a year. Colleen although she won't admit it has been in love with you for years. She caused me to pause and ask myself was I interested in Colleen because of my need for revenge. I guess the little sister was wiser than I thought.

She said, "Don't go there Donny, you've never been the type that takes revenge on those who don't deserve it. As for Simon, we all feel he has brought shame to the family and want nothing to do with him."

I smiled and nodded my head and said, "Thanks for reminding me of what kind of man I am because I had doubts."

"Don't we all," She said with a smile. "Colleen came home when she learned she had been assigned you as a client because she was afraid of how you would view our family. Then spent the whole evening after your first session talking to me about your first kiss after that first day. If you're not ready to move into a new relationship with her break it off now before you hurt, both you and her."

"You will get your concerns answered tonight," I replied.

Finally, we escaped and headed out to my new home. It took us quite a while to get there. Pulling into the gated property I got out and opened up. As we drove up the long paved driveway, we caught our first view of the lay of the land.

Mother Nature had taken over and it needed cleaning up badly. But when we both saw the house both Colleen and I had a foot in the mouth disease. The log home and matching offsetting structure were stunning and big.

Since it was in the corporate still all the utilities were running. After opening the front door, we stepped into a dream.

Colleen took my hand and said, "It's beautiful, can you believe it."

"He built this the year before his wife and children died in a car accident," I explained. "That's why it's not furnished but maintained. He lived in town but came out to keep it up. With his dreams for it and his family destroyed it would have been too painful for him to live in it."

We toured the main floor before heading up to the second. The master bedroom was huge. The three other bedrooms were also larger than most you would see in new homes. A few things needed updating but other than that it was sound.

"When did you learn about your inheritance," Colleen asked out of concern?

"After Linda was served so it can't be considered a marital asset, although I'm sure she will try to get it to be," I said. "This is going to become my home."

"Would you like me to make a list of things that you're going to need," Colleen asked. "While you are out looking at the shop."

After I said yes Colleen took out her laptop and got to work. I found the keys to the huge side structure. I went out to find a huge garage type like structure with barn doors at the back. Inside was the equipment needed to maintain the land.

It took me half an hour to hook up the tractor with the huge brush cutter that set to the side. I drove up once side of the long driveway cutting down as much as I could then came back the other side. At that time, I was thanking my grandfather for all the time I had spent with him on the farm growing up. As I approached the house coming back Colleen waved at me to stop.

She had found a safe in the back of the Master bedrooms one of two walk-in closets hidden behind a false wall. It was still locked. I went through the keyrings and found one that fit. I turned the key and the locked box door opened. Inside were three three-pound bars of gold and an envelope. I estimated the gold to be worth about a hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Inside the envelope was bearer bonds for fifty thousand each and there were thirty of them.

I knew there were a lot of things running through Collen's mind so I said, "It's a good thing we have been going together since I started rehab otherwise, I might think you were after my new found money."

She jumped into my arms. Let's say it was a while before we stopped kissing.

I went back and worked at cutting down the overgrowth until the darkness started to set in. After putting things away and locking up we headed out for supper.

"You got a lot of things to do to if you want to make it your home," Colleen said. "Have you decided where you're going to start?"

"Well the first thing we're going to do after we eat," I said. "Is to inform your parents that we're going steady."

Colleen said, "If this had the normal bench seat, I would now be right over beside you."

She called her parents and asked them if they had started supper. When they said no We suggested we meet them at Yummi's a Chinese all you can eat restaurant. They agreed and were waiting for us when we pulled in.

As soon as we were seated, we all ordered hot tea to drink and got up to get our first plate full.

Colleen's mother Mary said to her, "Okay, what's going on your just so happy."

Colleen replied, "It's not a big deal but we were talking, and Donald said it's a good thing we were going steady before he got his inheritance."

"Congrats now it just needs time," Mary responded without thinking it out.

By the time she caught back up to her daughter, she was beside me. I was loading up on the Peppered Shrimp, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Muscles. Collen was getting something more traditional. We were back at our seats before both her parents and Cathie her sister.

It was Cathie that asked in front of the family, "Are you guys going steady?"

"We have been since I started rehab," I said. "Today we finally admitted it."

Cathie got a smile on her face that was a mile wide.

"What's that big grin for," Colleen asked Her?

"Oh nothing I was just reminded of a promise made to me earlier that was kept," Cathie replied.

Pete didn't say a word he just got up went to the bar by the entrance and bought four beers. When he came back, he handed us all one. That kind of surprised us all. We chatted lightly until Peter and I came back with a second plateful.

"When are you going to be cleared to start work," Peter asked? "Or do you know yet?"

"I just finished rehab, I see both the family doctor and the specialist next week," I explained. "Until then there's not much I can tell you besides the fact that I'm three months into my final year to become a forensic accountant."

"Well when you're ready to work come to apply at my firm," Mary said. "The partners are always looking for good prospects and we need one with your expertise."

"I will keep that in mind but for the next couple of weeks I've got a lot of things going on to keep me busy," I said. "I got to set up the place I'm going to be living in with Colleen's help."

"You were out looking for a place today with my sister's help," Cathie said.

"Not really it was the house Donald inherited," Colleen said. "It's beautiful. Take a look at the stuff in the gallery file. I took loads of pictures for comparison when we start to furnish it."

"We," said Peter?

"Yes, we dad," Coleen said. "Donald asked me to help him pick out the furniture for it, and all the stuff needed for it."

"I would rather have a woman's help," I said. "Because I know they know how to make it a home and just not a place to live in."

Colleen looked at me and smiled then leaned in and gave me a serious kiss.

As Colleen's family looked at the pictures, I explained how I had inherited the land from my roommate and the house was with it.

"Since it's been sitting empty for a while, I'm going to have it inspected first thing," I said, "That way I can get things fixed before I move in.

"Have your parents seen it," Mary asked?

"No today was the first time we saw it," I replied. "I've got a lot of clean up to do on the land before anyone will see it. Only the land right around the house and garage had been maintained."

"There is a video of Don riding the tractor starting to cut the overgrowth down," Colleen said. "It will give you all an idea of how bad it is."

After dinner, we went looking at appliances. We went to all the box stores and compared prices. Colleen and I ended up agreeing that we would rather deal with a local supplier even if it cost more because of warranty and service issues.

It was around ten at night before I got home.

I got woken up Sunday morning early by the beeping of my cellphone. I had missed two phone calls and three text messages all from my soon to be ex sister in law Susan. I returned her call. It seems she had to bring back her sister and Simon from St Louis because they had no car. She wanted to meet with me before she went back home. I agreed to meet her for breakfast at Hickory house in Jackson.

She was waiting for me just inside the entrance so as I entered, she stood up and we got the hostess to escort us to our table.

"You're looking real good Donald," Susan said." Thanks for meeting me here. I've heard my sister's side of the story, now I would like to hear yours."

"You know she left the marriage mentally," I said "While I was flat on my back. She as I heard it leaned on Simon for support. He slowly manipulated himself into her life and into my bank account."

"Linda told me you told her that you didn't need her pity visits and basically dumped her," Susan said. "before she got involved with Simon."

"Once I got transferred to the nursing home Linda was there every day for the first month, by the sixth month it was down to once a week," I said. "During that time Simons visits were along with the same pattern. By the end of the ninth month, I was lucky to see either of them once a month."

Susan's face was white, and she responded, "I did not know that."

"The next time Linda came in was for about ten minutes and she did not feel comfortable being with me," I said. "That was when I told her I did not need her sympathy visits. I have learned since I got on my feet that Simon had moved into our house six months after the accident."

"Shit she's lied to me about everything," Sue said. "She told me you were just being an ass because of the divorce."

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Susan," I said. "Simon forged my signature on a rerouting form to steal the advance I was getting from the insurance company. My dad had to take him to court to stop him from using my name to get credit. It was easily proved because the form could only be signed in the branch and on the date, it was signed I was in the nursing home."

"Does Linda know any of this," Susan asked?

"I doubt it, "I said "Simon could have gotten the information out of the mailed bank statements. It's all under investigation by the local police. If he's convicted, he could be looking at seven years."

"I can understand now why you filed," Susan said. "Not only were you emotionally abandoned but you were cheated on too. I am now going to have to go tell mom what she does not know."

"Susan the last time you came to see me," I said. "I was completely surprised because according to your sister you were supposed to be in Cuba with her. In truth, she went with Simon."

"What is she doing to herself," Susan asked.

"Since Linda's personality has seemed to have changed from what we knew," I said. "I have to ask if Simon has got her hooked on drugs. I know that he would sell some on the side to keep himself supplied."

We ate the meal and talked about general things before we split up. I said I would pay for the ticket.

"Donald, I'm going to talk to Mom," she said. "If she needs to hear what you said directly is it ok for her to call you."

"Yes," I replied.

After saying goodbye to Susan, I called the Detective who had talked to me to explain that I had my car repossessed and where it was. I told him of my concern about Simon still selling drugs to support his habit and that he quite often had sold during breaks between his playing.

He said that he would get a court order to search the car today. If they found any measurable amount of drugs, he wanted me to release the vehicle to Linda via my lawyer giving her clear title to it. I agreed.

Colleen and I got a measuring tape and went back to the log cabin home to look at the space left for a fridge and stove and took the measurements to make sure we bought the size needed for space allowed. We also took at the laundry room to make sure we had enough space for a full-size washer and dryer. We checked out the pantry because I wanted a freezer.

From there we went back to Jackson and made some local dealers a very excited owner. Before we left, we set up delivery for next Saturday. I called my parents and arranged for them to meet us at Red Lobster for an early dinner.

I was driving when my cellphone rang, so Colleen answered it and put it on the speaker. It was the detective verifying that I believed was factual. Not only were there drugs but there was all the basic material needed for the manufacturing of meth inside the trunk of the car. Colleen's face said it all, we both knew that this part of the country was famous for being the meth capital of the state. I told him I would call my lawyer first thing in the morning and arrange the transfer of vehicle ownership.

"My brothers making meth," Colleen said. "If my dad finds out he will kill him himself. Dad lost a younger brother to that drug years ago."

"We are not going to say a word," I said. "The detective did not disclose what kind of drug was found. We don't even know for sure if the cooking equipment is Simon's. That's why I'm releasing the car's title to my former wife. It's going to take time for the detective to find out what's what."

My parents were surprised but pleased to see Colleen with me. Over dinner, Colleen showed my parents the pictures she had of my house.

"Is that part of the corporation you inherited," My mom asked?

"Yes, but it's set up in a living trust which has been transferred into my name," I said. "It's been incorporated so it pays a lot less in taxes. I have got a lot to do at the place before it's livable. I'm starting by having it inspected before I do anything.

"I think you both should know," Colleen said to my parents. "My brother is in a lot more trouble than you know. If what we have learned today is true, my parents will write him out of their lives."

"On top of that," I added. "Linda's sister Susan and I had a chat this morning. She wanted to hear my side of what had happened. It seems none of her family knew what had transpired."

"So, what about you two," my mother asked?

"It's one day at a time for now," Colleen said. "That's all it can be until what Donald is facing has come to pass."

---------------------------

My feminist lawyer listens to what was going on with the car she had seized and decided she might be able to play it to her advantage. She called Linda and offered her the car for some concessions. Linda would give up all rights towards my Insurance settlement. I would sign over the car and my rights to our house, but she would have to get it remortgaged in her own name. Linda thought she was winning big time so came over to sign the agreement right away. After paying off the lots fee's Simon had driven her to work.

I agreed to meet the building inspector at one o'clock. By the time I had reached my house the detective had called to say Simon had picked it up and they had taken him into custody after following him to an empty warehouse that was suspected as being used as a drug house. He had been taken down with eight others for the manufacturing of illegal drugs primary meth. The building was now going to have to be condemned and tore down.

The building inspector found the house and big workshop in good condition. He suggested I change all the light switches to a commercial one with dimmers and change the lighting to newer models because in this house led lighting would save over a hundred dollars a month on the electrical costs. The furnace was in mint condition so was the air conditioner.

After I went to see Dr. Madill who gave me clearance to get on with my life, I was waiting for Colleen to get off of work. As I walked in just at closing, she rushed into my arms crying. She had been told. Linda had called her father and informed him. It was a sad and sober night at her parents' house.

Tuesday morning bright and early I was in the office of Quicksilver messenger. Everyone was excited to see me. I was offered my job back but of course, I declined. I got my final paycheck and went downstairs to say goodbye to some I worked with.

Richard was just loading up for his optical run for the day. So, we stepped out by his van to talk. I wanted to make sure that his brother was still in charge of who was assigned with who in lock up. He was. I handed Steven an envelope with a bearer bond in it.

"There is a man coming into the system in a couple of months," I said. "His name and picture are included. When I was flat on my back, he not only stole my wife but took over my life too. I'm still trying to clean up the mess he created. He got caught making meth. It would be nice if someone could break his hands so he can never play music again. He also thinks he is a real ladies man. I think he needs a social adjustment as to his sexual preferences."

Richard opened the envelope and looked at the barer bond before saying, "My brother knows a few who are in for doing a lot of stupid things. What you need doing could be done without the cash because of favors owed him. As for the adjustment to his sexual preferences, my brother will make sure he's assigned the right roommate to make sure it's done. When he comes out, he will have been ridden so much he'll be walking with a wiggle."

"I'll give the money to his wife and son," Richard said, "It came in just when they needed it the most that way it can't be connected to my brother. Things were so tight for them that they were considering declaring bankruptcy."

I drove back towards the Cape with a smile on my face with the knowledge that I had kept my word. Simons days of playing music were done. One down one to go. I now had to figure out what to do about Linda. Whatever I was going to do had to wait till after the divorce.

Once I got back to my parents, I contacted an electrician and made arrangements for him to come out on Thursday. When Colleen got off of work, I was waiting for her. We spent the evening purchasing the lighting equipment we wanted for each room in the house. All the Florissant tubbing would be pulled out of the bathrooms and kitchen.