The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He blocked her easily and used to blunt side of his main sword to strike at her hand, disarming her of her left hand sword. She yelped in pain and glared at him. "You stinking asshole! Shanna is bawling her eyes out because she thinks you don't want her. Now get your ass down there and take care of her."

She backed away from him and sheathed her poison blade, still glaring at him. She knew everyone in the guild house was watching, including Alfons, but at this point, she couldn't have cared less. He had hurt Shanna with his stubbornness and she wasn't about to let him get away with it.

"I didn't ask you to stick your nose where it didn't belong, birdie. Why couldn't you just leave well enough alone? If anyone has caused her pain, it's you." Vico's eyes went frigidly cold and he slapped her hard before stalking to the door. Shiloh followed right behind him and watched as the blackguard slowly approached Shanna, who was still cradled within Rhys's embrace. "My little one," he spoke softly as he reached for her.

Shanna gazed up into his dark eyes accusing. "I thought you'd be happy to see me. I thought you loved me. What happened to make you change your mind?"

"I do love you, but losing you hurt more than anything I've ever known. It's quite an adjustment, but I'm more than prepared to make it up to you. What say you?"

Shanna let out a squeal of delight and bounded into Vico's arms happily, her tears flowing even more. He held her tightly for several minutes as his hate-filled eyes remained fixed on Shiloh. "You had better make it up to me. I need you. You're mine."

He chuckled and planted a kiss on the top of her head while softly caressing her bottom.

"Oh, my Vico!" Shanna cried as she pulled back to look up into his face. "I've missed you so much."

He plastered that insolent grin on his face, "Of course you have."

Shanna giggled. Now this was the Vico she knew so well. She intended to keep him. He belonged to her, solely to her. "Can we... be alone for a while? It'd mean so much to me."

He nodded and stepped over to his door. Pulling out a key, he unlocked it and ushered her inside. "Go away, birdie. I'm busy!" He growled as he closed the panel behind him.

Shiloh shook her head and made an obscene gesture at him before she turned back to Rhys. "So how 'bout it? Could we be alone for a while? You know I have my own apartment now and you're more than welcome to come over."

Rhys chuckled, "Are things still not any better between you two?"

"Worse, and it's all my fault. We fight constantly," she shook her head. "And you didn't answer my question."

"I can come over, but not for what you're hinting at."

"Oh, and why not?" Shiloh took her hands on her hips defensively and flashed a glare at him.

"Because I refuse to be a substitute for Vico." Rhys retorted at her, his teeth baring aggressively.

Shiloh recoiled as if he had slapped her. "Fine! Then don't waste my time in coming over, peasant."

"Whore!" He shot back.

After leveling upon him a chilling glare, she stalked off angrily. How dare he accuse me of that? She'd never treated him like that. He'd never been a substitute for Vico. Never. Others, yes, but never Rhys. How could he call me that? He knew she hated that!

Shiloh returned to her apartment and quickly changed her clothes once more. She needed to recover the painting that the Dhorn liberated from the painter. And now was as good a time as any. Perhaps it would get her mind off of her need for the man she loved.

O.O

Evening was swiftly approaching by the time she made it over to the Dhorn Administration building. She circled the large building, which she remembered used to be where many of her father's advisors worked when they weren't bending his ear over expanding his power base. There didn't seem to be any other entrance besides the front.

Cautiously she approached one of the guards outside the building. "Good evening, sir. I was wondering if I might be allowed in. I have a summons that was delivered to me over something that was seized," she desperately hoped she sounded knowledgeable on what she was saying.

"There haven't been any summons issued lately, wench. Now move along before you feel the bite of my steel." He brandished his halberd at her menacingly.

She nodded and walked away, moving into the shadows. Perhaps she could sneak in the next time the door was opened. She crouched down to watch, but as an hour passed and then another, no one entered or exited the door. Hmmm, no changing of the guards. Dammit!

She moved out of her hiding spot and headed towards to rear of the building. Her frustration was obvious. She needed to get that painting back. On her own. She couldn't go to Master Nathan about this. She was sure he would be upset with her. She definitely didn't need that right now. She didn't want Vico to know either. Not yet. Perhaps once she had the painting and could show it to him. Would he truly like it as Shanna had suggested? Or would his opinion of her sink that much lower? Shiloh let out a deep sigh. Things had been so good, why did she have to destroy it? Knowingly. Gods, there was no use beating herself up about it. It would do her no good whatsoever.

She shook her head, clearing it out of her mind. Focus, stupid, she berated herself. She stopped near a guard tower and scanned the area, getting her mind back on the task at hand. She jumped a bit as a young dark haired man wearing a red and gold robe appeared before her, flashing a mischievous grin at her. "Hello, hello..." he beamed.

She cocked an eyebrow at him, wandering where he had come from. She looked him up and down rather appraisingly, but held her tongue for a moment.

"Having trouble with the Dhorn, I presume?" He leaned in towards her and smiled.

"How do you know? And who are you? Have you been spying on me?"

"Suspicious, are we? I'm Shander and I couldn't help but notice your, let's say, futile attempts to get into the administration building. I could be of help to you, perhaps."

Shiloh flashed upon him a wary eye, "How?"

He smiled rather mischievously, "Meet me at my house. I live close by at 3 Squire's Road. It's not more than a block away." With a wink, he was gone, disappearing before her very eyes.

Either he had to be a damned excellent stealth expert or he had some arcane knowledge. Shiloh considered her options. She could ignore his offer and find a way in on her own or she could meet him. If he meant her ill, she felt confident in her abilities to be able to subdue him. That wouldn't get her painting back, though.

Go, a voice inside her head urged.

What have you to lose, it nudged a little more.

He's quite handsome and we're in need of attention, the voice pushed harder.

"What the hell," she muttered. She hadn't picked up any weird feelings from him. He seemed to be honorable.

Shiloh headed for the address and found herself standing in front of his door. She wasn't too far from where Rhys had once lived with Melania. If anything, she was on somewhat familiar territory. She knocked loudly and the door opened as if of its own volition, allowing her entrance. Once she had crossed over the threshold and cleared it, the door closed behind her. She chuckled and realized he had to be wizardly, at least.

She smiled as she entered his study. Large bookcases filled the room along with instruments of arcane something-or-other that she hadn't the slightest idea of what they did. She noted an odd telescope and a large cauldron. Scrolls and pieces of parchment littered small areas of the carpeted floor. He wasn't one for cleanliness, she noted.

Shander responded to her smile with a wide one of his own as she approached him confidently.

"I couldn't resist such a nice invitation," she winked at him as a lazy grin crossed her face. He snickered low in his throat, his eyes raking over her. Shiloh stopped and let him look his fill before she turned her thoughts to business once more. "So you said you could help me?"

His smile widened. "Straight to the point, eh? I do believe, though, that you haven't told me your name yet."

"Shiloh," she smiled warmly. There was something about him that she liked, something that drew her to him. She couldn't put her finger on it. It was a fleeting feeling that he would impact her life in a way she never would've expected.

"Well met, Shiloh," he bowed before her slightly. "It must be the name. Though, you bear an uncanny resemblance to our late princess."

She chuckled, "My mother swears she once dallied with the King. Perhaps I'm a bastard, a royal one. She raised me on her own and never would tell me who fathered me."

"Ah, well, it definitely nice to meet you."

"Likewise, now about your proposition. Do tell me more," she tapped her foot and gave him an inquisitive stare.

"Well, after watching you, I'm going to guess the Dhorn have taken something from you and you want it back? Correct?"

"Dead on, but how do you know?"

"Happens to me all the time. About once a week the patrol visits me, searches through my laboratory, spots something they consider 'dangerous' and moves it off to their cellars, thinking it's well hidden down there. It was rather annoying at first, but not anymore now." Shander explained.

"And why is that?"

He smiled, "You see, I'm a wizard. I always have various things that the Dhorn are afraid of. But now I've created a teleport spell that gets me into and out of their cellars in no time at all."

"And you could do that, teleport in and recover what they took from me," she replied.

He chuckled softly. "No, I could teleport you in to recover what they took from you."

Shiloh nodded, thinking it over. It would definitely be the best way to get in unnoticed. "Alright, that should work."

"May I ask what they took from you?"

Shiloh smiled at him, "A painting."

His brow furrowed curiously, "A painting? Why would the Dhorn make such a fuss over something like that?"

"Because of the subject. It's a nude painting, showing me and my younger sister. They accused the artist of creating sinful material and of unlawful carnal knowledge. He talked his way out of the arrest, but they took the painting and I have to get it back before... well, let's just say I have to get it back."

Shander cocked an eyebrow at her and cleared his throat, "Oh... I see."

"So do you understand how imperative this is?"

"Would you... Would you mind showing it to me once you've got it back?" A shy smile crossed his face. "I... I'd like to see it. You're a very pretty young lady."

She cocked an eyebrow at him, eyeing him speculatively. She didn't have to ask why he'd want to see it. He was a man, after all, probably no more than a year or so older than she. Something told her as a wizard, he probably didn't come in contact with a whole lot of pretty females. "Hm okay. I'll allow you to see it, but then I'll be taking it with me."

He beamed a bright smile at her. "That's fine. I've got a good memory and will keep it in my heart forever."

A shudder ran through her. Pervert, a voice inside her scoffed. The imp surged within her. "Guess you don't get to see a lot of naked girls, huh? You need to get out of this lab more."

He frowned at her derisive taunt and cleared his throat. "Well, let's see... Reagents, preparing the spell, casting the spell... Also, the risk involved..." She could hear him counting under his breath. "Let's say, 100 gold coins."

Normally that token amount wouldn't faze her at all, but she knew she couldn't just throw money around despite the fact that she'd looted the barracks, the temple and the arena. Hmmm, the arena. I need to count the gold that came from there. The imp cackled in her mind and she knew exactly how to get what she wanted without paying one single coin. "Oh, that's a lot of money. Do you think maybe I could pay you in a different way?"

"Hm, how?" An inquisitive look crossed his face.

Shiloh forced a pretty blush and studied her feet sheepishly before glancing back up at him with a milk and honey miss expression on her face. "I could spend a night with you..." The hells knew she needed it pretty bad, especially since Rhys and Vico were out of reach at the moment. It burned her to the core that Rhys would say such a thing to her. Never had he ever been a substitute for Vico.

A startled look crossed Shander's face, as if he'd been struck by lightning. "Uh, you mean, you and me...?"

"... Would do some pillow play, yes." Shiloh smiled sweetly.

He looked away for a moment. She noticed a few beads of sweat that had broken out on his brow. "I don't know if that's such a good idea, honestly."

She flashed the sweetest face she could manage at him, faking a little lip tremble. "Oh... aren't I pretty enough?"

"Oh, but you are! You are absolutely the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. The trouble is I've only known you for a couple of minutes now. And you don't know anything about me." A bright red blush colored his cheeks.

Shiloh giggled softly. "I know that you are a very handsome man. Trust me, it'll be very beautiful." She stepped closer to him and gently touched his face. He pulled back just a fraction, but halted as she persisted. Her fingers caressed his cheek and slid softly over his lips.

He made a small noise in his throat before he cleared his throat. "Uh... I still don't think this is a very good idea."

A pout crossed her lips. She wasn't used to men turning her down and this one made the second in one day. Shiloh lowered her eyes and let out a deep sigh. "Are you sure?" The moment the words came out of her mouth she realized the faux pas she had made. She shouldn't ask him that. She sighed again, shaking her head. What's wrong with me? "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that. How much gold are you asking for?"

It grated upon her that she couldn't use her wiles to get what she wanted and actually had to pay out gold for it. It's for the best, a voice inside her head commented.

Perhaps you're losing it, another quipped as the imp cackled.

This wizard isn't worthy of us, a third voice arrogantly stated. We need a real man, not some wet-behind-the-ears pervert.

"100 gold coins is my asking price if you're still willing to show me the painting. If not, my price goes up to 250," Shander shrewdly replied.

"Yes, I'm willing to let you see it," Shiloh smiled at him brightly. "Once you do see it, perhaps you'll be more inclined to accept my other offer."

He looked at her with a pondering expression on his face. "I will think on it. Do you have enough money on you or do you need more time?"

"Well, I'll check my pack and see what I have," she sat on the floor and opened her haversack. Pulling out a small pouch and opening it, she began to count out the necessary funds. Once she had the sum of 100 gold pieces, she handed him the pouch. "Here you are."

"Are you ready to go?"

"I believe so."

He nodded at her. "Good. Now you may feel a wave of euphoria once you arrive at your destination, but it should pass quickly. A few deep breaths should clear your head of any lightheadedness."

"Alright," Shiloh leaned towards Shander and planted a soft kiss on his cheek. "I'll return once I have retrieved my painting."

He smiled and touched her cheek before he began chanting a spell. With a few flourishing hand movements and a few words she didn't understand, she felt herself being whisked away and before she knew it, she was no longer in Shander's tidy house, but in a storage room full of crates and boxes.

Shiloh collapsed to her knees and shook off the feeling of dizziness that assailed her. After a few breaths that cleared her head of the vertigo, she made a cursory search through the crates and barrels in the room. Blast, it wasn't here!

That meant she would have some searching to do while avoiding the Dhorn. Damn, she murmured, if only she had that suit of Dhorn armor with her. This would be so much easier. That would've allowed her to move around without suspicion and she wouldn't have to worry about getting caught sneaking. She found the door before her locked. Quickly she pulled out her lock picks and went to work on opening the door. It came open very easily. She smiled as she put them away. So far, so good.

She silently cracked the door and stepped out into a bigger room full of more boxes and crates. A soft curse slipped from her lips and she set about searching through them in a cursory fashion. The sound of footsteps on the stone floor sent her flying into the shadows. She pressed herself against a wall and watched as a patrolling soldier entered the room. His torchlight filled all but the darkest recesses of the room causing Shiloh sink into them. She knew she couldn't afford to be caught at this point. She had to find her painting before they realized who the subjects of it were.

She followed the guard on his way out of the room, slipping through the opened gate before he closed it behind him. She hugged the wall behind him. He walked on down the hallway, his torch illuminating three iron bound doors. The confiscated items must be beyond those. It had to be. She waited and watched as the patrolling sentries made their rounds, carefully taking note of how long it took to walk the length of the hall and back.

Seizing her opportunity when they were furthest away from her, she carefully and quietly dashed to the first door and went to work on its lock. It came open easier than she thought it would. It creaked loudly as she opened it. The damn Dhorn needed to oil its hinges. She cursed inwardly and slipped into the room. Three large rectangular crates sat before her. She opened each and searched the contents, smiling as she placed the useful items in her pack. Her painting was not amongst the crates, though. It meant she'd have to head to another one of the rooms.

Quietly, she left the room and locked the door behind her, pressing herself up against the wall as the guards walked past her. She knew she'd have to wait until they had headed to the far end again. Quietly she crept the few feet behind them to the next door and waited until they were far enough away. Once more she unlocked the door and slipped inside, cringing as the door groaned loudly. She prayed it hadn't been heard as she opened one of the two armoires' doors and quickly pulled a few naughty looking articles of clothing. She loved the blue barely there dress and the pieces of very sexy lingerie, but she wasn't sure what the chain was for so she left it behind. Then she made her way out as quickly as she had made her way into the locked chamber.

The door creaked and moaned as she shut it behind her. The nearest guard stopped and made his way to it. "Hey, did you hear what I just heard? I think we may have a little rat amongst us?" The one guard called out to the other.

Shiloh cringed and tumbled through the shadows to the next door. She pressed herself against the wall and prayed that the shadowy darkness here would hide her.

"Search the area. It might be that same damned thief again." The second guard yelled back. "We should alert the Sergeant. He'll know what to do."

"You search and I'll go. I think he knows who might be responsible, too. He said next time something came up missing he'd be making a visit."

Shiloh blanched. It sounded like they knew about Shander. She had to find her painting and find a way out as quickly as possible. She had to warn the young wizard. She couldn't let him pay for her mistakes and bad judgment.

One of the guards walked past her and pulled a key from a pouch at his side as he headed for the stairs. She smiled as she realized she had to procure that key. And she figured both of the guards had to have one. This was proving easier than she had thought it would be.