The Lost Lord Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Right, now to heal the insides."

Rainer set to work healing the inside of Lauren's body with another spell. That was a much easier task than dissipating the problem.

After a grand total of twenty-five minutes spent on giving attention to Lauren, Rainer successfully restored her entire body free of wounds. She was not going to die, yet.

'I'm sure as heck not going to let that happen.' Rainer then turned his attention to the knowledge Asmodeus provided, about the persona change. 'So basically, I undergo a complete change. My power elevates, that was evidently clear, my personality changes, I could tell what I was doing and I seemed to revel in it. It was like my destructive and sadistic tendencies were maximized and my mercy and compassion downgraded to nothing. [Asmodeus], huh? That really doesn't sound like a pleasant state.'

Rainer pondered the situation a while longer, long enough for Lauren to eventually wake up. Rainer was too into his thoughts to notice Lauren sitting up and understanding her surroundings and situation. She was in a small cave, which was beautifully filled with lush plants and a small underground river flowing through it. It almost seemed like a completely different ecosystem here than out there. She knew she was still close to the city, as the sounds of war could reach even here. And almost as if her thoughts reached Rainer, he cast a sound proofing spell and another kind of barrier spell on the entrance to the cave. He was quite adaptive with his magic already, impressive.

"Can't bloody think with that shit ringing in my ears. Eh? Oh thank goodness... You're awake!" Rainer exclaimed excitedly as he just now saw Lauren sitting upright. "Do you feel ok? No pain anywhere? I'm still kind of new to this whole magic thing."

Lauren certainly felt nothing, though she had no recollection of anything that happened prior to the seconds before being shot. Even so, she felt no abnormalities within her body. "I feel great, I assume I was injured in some way. So I assume you healed me, there's no need to denounce your skills, it's as if you're magic prodigy of some sorts."

"I... Guess." Rainer didn't feel like he deserved the praise, it was, after all, borrowed strength from Asmodeus. Still it wasn't like he wasn't going make use of it. He had it, might as well use it. "Do you remember anything from your time captured? Anything useful?"

Lauren tilted her head sideways, clearly thinking back on her ordeal. "Ah, yes! I spoke with that succubus, Zazie. She said that Arazra was in possession of a tarot card called the [World]. It apparently contains a scary and destructive power."

"I already spoke with Zazie before I rescued you, heck, she even helped me do just that." Rainer held up the [Hierophant] and the [Emperor]. "These contain some weird powers along with the rest of her cards." He explained.

"She is... Rather adept at divination. She told me of my past, present, and future." Admitted Lauren.

"Oh? She told your fortune? She did the same for me, it's quite odd how she does it, even though it's simple in the process."

"It's rather refreshing, to talk like this. We never really have done something like this before, have we?"

"You're right. Even at school, while we sat at the same table in lunch and had a class together, we never really did speak much until a couple weeks ago when all this started. Why did you keep to yourself all that time? Lots of guys, and even a few girls, from the numerous whispers I heard said they had crushes on you or wanted to be your friend." Rainer put this quandary to Lauren.

"I could ask the same thing of you, Rainer. Still, I guess it was because nobody was interesting. Is that too vague?"

"Hahaha! I guess I was kind of a loner. Relatively speaking, it has only been a short time since then, but it feels like I'm completely different personality wise now. Considering when I was younger, my childhood wasn't the best."

"Why? Neither was mine, but I persevered." Asked Lauren with innocent curiosity.

"The usual crappy childhood: My parents died, I was forced to live on my own with my parent's inheritance which I somehow managed to legally acquire, and got involved with plenty of violent people... That's the basics." Sighed Rainer as he smiled wryly.

Knowing he didn't want to continue the matter, Lauren reached for Rainer and wrapped her arms around him, to his surprise. All her "encounters" with Rainer were purely out of lust, as appropriate as that may be for an incubus like him. However, she was the sole human being in Rainer's life, his only lifeline back to the human world. She was the only one who could console him and comfort him when Rainer just couldn't handle being a demon.

"More and more... I'm completely losing what it means to be a human? I've probably griped about this tons of times now, and I've more or less gotten used to it. However, just what did those eighteen years of my life mean, if they are only to be washed away like a damn seashell." Rainer opened up to Lauren exactly like she wanted.

While initially, she did choose to accompany Rainer because of the fringe benefits, increase in power, access to new plants and animals for her magic, and any other benefits off the top of her head. However, more and more Lauren began to think she went with Rainer on his exodus for two completely different reasons: to care and counsel Rainer for when he desperately needs it; the other reason is that Lauren liked Rainer, no... It may be more appropriate to say that she loves Rainer, or it will soon be that way.

"Back when you were knocked unconscious, I didn't know what to do. I thought you died at first, and because of that, I went into some sort of frenzy. All I saw before me from that moment, in front of the demon soldiers attacking me, were ants ready to be crushed. It almost felt as if they weren't even worthy to be killed by me."

Lauren vaguely remembered Rainer's crazy eyes back then. He truly felt arrogant at that moment, and rightfully so considering the amount of power that woke her up. Nothing in her entire life could amount to that level of power at that moment. 'Is that the true face of a Ruler of Sin? It is an awesome power. Seriously, Rainer, you're going to make me worry...'

"Rainer, if there was a way to turn a human into a demon, then I'm sure there is a way to turn a demon into a human. I'll stick with you forever, and I'll even turn into a demon like you if you want- No, if I want. I'm more scared than you are at the moment." Confessed Lauren.

Rainer turned his head towards Lauren, which was close considering their current embrace. "Eh, what do you mean?"

"I'm mortal! I'm a simple human! The number of humans who have transcended mortality can't even be counted on two hands, and you're one of them! It's a gift if anything. Of course there is a price, in becoming a demon, but there are millions who would take advantage of your gift. I'm scared more than anything that I'll die and be left behind by you, Nerissa, Aureal, and Asmodea! I might not even be able to ever see my mother, who also is one of those who transcended mortality. Count yourself lucky..." It was half act and half truth in Lauren's words. She couldn't even tell herself anymore.

Rainer stared wordlessly with his mouth half open. Of course he isn't the only one in these vast worlds that goes through trouble, he should count himself fortunate and help those who are. 'I've been selfish...'

-

"GYAHAHA! The Three Furies? More like the Three Fearies!" Roared a hearty voice.

"That... Makes no sense, Desperation."

Desperation looked back on his partner with a confused, disgusted look. "Shut up, Rebellion. My jokes are flawless, FLAWLESS I TELL YOU."

"You get annoyingly passionate about such stupid things." Rebellion just shook his head with his hands in the air as if he gave up.

Their opponents, the Three Furies of the Harpy army were looking at their opponents cautiously. More accurately, two of them should be doing that while the third lay unconscious thanks to a vicious blow made by Rebellion without her noticing.

Rebellion wielded the Gutter. And with that weapon, he attacked one of the Three Furies in the back of the head using its surgical power to attack any part of a being's body like a homing missile. It can be an internal organ or even a single cell of a person's skin, all it has to be is carbon based and physically attached to their body along with every other part of the body. Thus it can't be a bit of flesh or a fingernail that was severed or chopped off, it must accompany the soul's vessel.

Of the Three Furies, Trais and Kiryin were conscious, Risoi was not. It was no mean feat to knock one of them unconscious, much less kill them. Other than Iris, they were the three strongest of the Harpy army. While they were obviously not as strong as a Ruler of Sin or their Queen, they were at least as strong as a district leader. That must mean their opponents were at least above their level, maybe even stronger.

"Who are you? At least grace us with who you are, not only your names." Politely asked Trais. She did not believe in rudeness.

"WHAT?! You damn bitch thinks she can-" Desperation was cut off by a swipe of Rebellion's hands.

"If she's polite, especially after my attack, then it is only respectful that we do the same." Orated Rebellion with the utmost peaceful nature.

"Fuck you, I don't take orders from a traitorous war." Desperation raised his sword and shot forth several projectiles that the sword had already swallowed.

Desperation wielded the Swallower. Aptly named because the weapon has the ability to swallow objects and spit them out like high speed bullets, far faster than any arrow or magical attack. It can swallow any inorganic object, thus it cannot swallow bits of flesh, small animals, or plants. Though Desperation had commented numerous times how hilarious it would be for his sword to swallow a small rodent and shoot it out while it squeaked for its dear life. Rebellion and Serenity just shook their heads at those words when he said it.

The projectiles were several small rocks and a curved dagger. They sped off straight for Trais, who stood up in order to defend herself. It was a simple attack, one simple enough to defend against.

Of all of the Harpy magicians, wind was the most popular style. Quite fitting for a race bred to fly. However, Trais literally said this to her friend, Iris, "It's so boring when everyone else uses wind! I wanna be unique! No fucking wind for me! I wanna use water magic!" Considering when their wings get wet, Harpies are unable to fly effectively. Only when they take baths, do Harpies go anywhere near large pools of water. Since then, Trais went about her way, mastering water and ice magic abilities.

From her water skin, Trais pulled out all the water and formed a shield of swirling water meant to receive and nullify high speed projectiles. Instead of an actual shield, the water was in the guise of a cone, which pointed at Trais. Each object, rocks and metal dagger, entered the sides of the pool and their momentum nullified by the swirling pool. Since it was a cone, the objects, no matter how strong their momentum, could not simply pass through.

Each of the objects went with the flow and plopped out of the end, straight between Trais' feet. The pool of water went back into her water skin, ready to be used again.

"Damn bitch! I'll fucking eat you with this soul weapon!" Cried Desperation.

"Soul weapon?!" Trais was instantly surprised at those words. She thought the projectiles came from Desperation's own power, not his sword. That mean he had yet to use his own power, only the strength of an incredibly rare weapon. She was surprised and took a step back in that surprise.

"GYAHAHA, THE SWALLOWER HERE WILL EAT YOU ALIVE- gah!" Desperation rushed at Trais with the Swallower at his side, ready to stab, or more literally, take a bite. However, before he even took his fourth step, Rebellion stepped behind him and knocked him out with the Gutter just like he did to Risoi.

"Like I damn said, it's respectful to introduce yourself. Learn your place, Desperation. Besides, your weapon can't eat flesh... Oh shit. I knocked him out, he can't hear me that way." Rebellion grasped his head with his hands as if he made a fatal mistake. "Well, I might as well introduce myself. Have you heard of War?"

"I'm not interested in riddles." Growled Trais. Her ally, Kiryin, walked up next to her, ready to back her up anytime.

"No, I'm being entirely serious. War, as in a certain Horseman. Our master has split into five entities. I am one of those entities. And regrettably, so is Desperation." Said Rebellion as if his words were the most natural thing in the world.

Both Trais and Kiryin were taken aback. There was a rumor among the circles that War had split just like Death's scythe, but there was no actual proof that such an occurrence had happened. If this person's words were legitimate, they could not take him lightly. They could probably not even fight him together on even footing.

Rebellion looked nothing like a demon or a Harpy, that much was clear. He mostly resembled a human, though with notable differences. First off, his skin was pure white, not even pale. It was as white as pure snow. He had hair dark as night covering his head and ears. He wore fairly normal clothes, common among lesser demons.

However, his most notable feature was his left arm, which carried the Gutter. His left arm was colored completely different than the rest of his skin, a crimson, bloody red. As if stained by millennia of blood from war and violence.

Desperation also looked similar to Rebellion, same colored skin and hair color (though cut short). Though it wasn't his left arm that was stained red, it was his left leg that was.

"As you know my name is Rebellion. I am the defiant war. The war carried by the hearts of the people and oppressed. The war the overthrows kings and tyrants. The war that will never end until a country is destitute." Rebellion bowed as he said his name. His voice was crisp and pure.

"Why did you take out your comrade? He's one of you, isn't he?" Questioned Trais.

"Naturally. He is Desperation. The tenacious war. The war that carries the hearts of loyalty and patriotism. The war that embodies a nation's pride. The war that will bring a country to its ruin." Said Rebellion calmly as he pointed out Desperation. "As for why I knocked him out... It is my nature to betray. Even though we were born from our master into five, we are not friends. No, we are not comrades. I believe Serenity will do the same as I. End, Genocide, and Desperation will be the only ones to fight for Arazra."

"Wait, does that mean you wish to ally yourself with The Lord of Lust?"

"No. And I do not believe you want me to. As I said, it is my nature to betray. I embody traitors. In the end, I will betray your side like I did to Arazra's. Will you let me leave? I can at least promise that I will not fight anyone except those who attack me."

Trais wasn't sure if she should believe his words. Rebellion, he was quite an enigma. "If you're going to leave, I will make sure. Kiryin, continue leading the forces here and send a report to the queen about this discovery. I will come back as soon as possible.

"Yes, Trais." Kiryin said softly enough for only Trais to hear. She beat her feathery wings and flew into the air.

"No choice I suppose, I'm going to keep my soul weapon just so you know. I could care less what you do with Desperation and his weapon. My only request is that he stays alive. I have not much knowledge about my existence, and I do not know what a death of my kin will do to me or my future." Asked Rebellion humbly as he began walking to his new destination.

"We were going to do that anyway. You four! Detain him and send his weapon to Iris." Giving orders to four Harpies, Trais followed Rebellion in the direction he was headed, opposite of the capital city.