The Lost Valkyrie Ch. 02

Story Info
Rune finds her actions in battle under scrutiny.
976 words
4.53
2.9k
2

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 08/09/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note: This fantasy story contains very little sex, and the sex it does have is more romance than erotica. There is no sex in this chapter.

******************

Rune gulped reflexively, her mouth dry as she stood before the heavenly powers' court in Valhalla. She felt on display and under examination as the Gods questioned her. The scene was the throne room, with Odin on his throne, the other powers present arrayed to either side and the sides of the hall, and her in the center, alone.

Why did it feel like she'd done something wrong? Was it her imagination?

No, Odin was looking at her sternly, questioning her in detail about what happened with the demon ambush. Rune had felt like she'd be rewarded for saving her squadron from destruction. But it was not going that way! At all!

"And why did you not detect the ambush sooner, Valkyrie," Odin demanded.

Odin was the leader of the heavenly powers and the leader, some even said the creator, of the Valkyries. To have this man angry at her was not something Rune wanted. Ever.

"My Lord, I wasn't certain what I felt. I felt something was wrong, but I could not identify it. I've never felt it before, my Lord."

Rune cast her eyes down, falling silent, feeling shame at her failure. And the young Valkyrie felt more uncertain and confused the longer this interrogation went on. She'd never experienced this, and she could count on one hand the number of words Odin had ever spoken to her before now! Her face went red as she stood, frozen, almost unable to speak at all.

"And did you voice your suspicion, Valkyrie," Odin demanded, his voice raised.

"I... " Rune began. Had she? Had she, really? She had said something, but what was it? She was blanking, confused, and suddenly she felt on the verge of tears, helpless in the face of this public humiliation.

"My Lord... I..." she tried again as the tears began to fall, making her more ashamed.

Odin looked angrier than ever at her weeping and was about to speak again. Maybe he'd throw her out of his hall, and this disaster would mercifully end.

"Why does the Allfather browbeat the maiden," came another voice, a kinder one. "Surely, my Lord knows the girl saved her squadron, rather than destroying it."

It was like a dark and stormy night sky opened up in front of Rune as the other voice spoke, the light of the sun shining down upon her where she stood. But this only made her cry more, even as she felt herself smile gratefully at the new speaker.

The Allfather turned towards the new speaker. "Cease your meddling, beloved Friia. The Valkyries belong to me," he replied, as Rune tried to collect herself.

Rune knew that Friia was the wife of Odin. And she was not deterred by her husband's obvious irritation.

"Is it not beneath you, dearest, to humiliate the girl, so? Is she not the newest of your Valkyries? To have her bravery turned to rebuke, well... if the Allfather believes it wise, please do continue."

Now the woman sounded amused, gently scolding her mate.

On the other hand, Odin was NOT amused.

"The maiden obviously has a gift of power, woman, the first one we've seen in many years. She must learn to use her gifts, and QUICKLY. Two Valkyries are dead, and a third may die. You may MOTHER HER when I am FINISHED!"

The older woman inclined her head to the Allfather in a respectful gesture before turning her glance at Rune, who had watched this exchange with rapt attention. The young Valkyrie didn't miss the little look of encouragement at the end, either.

The effect on the young woman was immediate and dramatic. Rune went from experiencing a desperate sensation of falling to knowing again who she was, and where she stood. Perfect or not, she'd acted bravely during the ambush, and her only concern was to save her sisters. She wiped her eyes and faced the leader of the heavenly powers.

"My Lord," she addressed Odin as he seemed about to lay into her again. "I did tell my squadron I was sensing some danger. But it was only seconds later that the attack began. I had never felt this... whatever it was... before, and I was uncertain. If I had spoken at just the VERY moment I felt the danger, it might have helped."

The truth was no one had been listening, as all the girls had been flush with their initial victory over the demon pack. If they'd had 20 more seconds, even - but it was not to be.

The leader of the heavenly powers fixed her with a glare, but now when he spoke, his gruff voice was not so unkind to her. "Valkyrie, you must learn to use this skill more effectively. You will practice this skill with the help of your sisters, and you will teach them to listen to you immediately. Am I understood?"

Rune curtsied to the Allfather. "Yes, my Lord. It shall be done." Though she had no idea how to practice this.

"My beloved wife, Friia, shall assist you," the leader of all Valhalla declared, and those assembled in the hall murmured their amused agreement. It was fitting, and no one would be surprised if that had been Friia's plan all along.

For her part, Rune felt a rush of excitement. She would be getting to know the beautiful and wise Friia! How many of her sisters could say that? Helga would be SOOO JEALOUS!

"You must also learn to summon and control the heavenly fire you used. Now, you may go, Valkyrie. You will report back to me in one week to show me your progress. Do not disappoint me!"

Oh my.