The Marshal Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks! I've been thinking about it all day. Michelle gave me the idea."

"Me?"

Lou nodded. "Yeah. You said they were going to have a real adventure."

"I was talking about them going to Aruba."

Lou grinned. "I know. But I stole it anyway."

Michelle patted the back of the chair and Mi sat down. For the next hour, the two women fussed with Mi's hair and face as they laughed and joked. As outrageous as Lou pretended to be, she was as much a romantic at heart as Michelle was, and Mi hoped one day a man would sweep her off her feet, as Rob had her. Lou deserved it. They both did.

Mi had let her hair grow out, and Michelle tied it up in a tight braid. For a woman who wore her hair short, she was very good at braiding. After she finished, Michelle handed Mi a mirror. Michelle had gone light on the makeup because that was Mi's style, but Mi's skin appeared flawless, and her hair was elegant. Mi's face and hair would be hidden in her cloak at the start, but when she pulled the hood back, because of the hairstyle, she wouldn't have to worry about her hair sticking out everywhere.

"Beautiful," Mi murmured.

"Yes, you are," Michelle said. "Rob's a lucky man. I hope he knows that."

"I'm the one who's lucky," Mi replied. She looked at her phone. The photographer was due any moment. "I need to get into my dress!"

Mi stood and hurried to the bedroom. Her gown was lying on the bed, and with Lou and Michelle's help, she squirmed into it. Michelle was still tugging and adjusting when they heard the doorbell.

"That must be the photographer," Mi said.

"I've got it," Michelle said as she moved off.

Lou made one more small adjustment to the dress. "There! Perfect!" She looked Mi over with a critical eye. "I thought you were nuts getting married outside, in February, in Maine. Maybe you are, but you do look stunning."

"Don't make me cry."

"No crying! Today is not the day for crying."

"Photographer's here," Michelle said as she stepped back into the room.

"Almost ready." Mi carefully sat and put on her shoes, sneakers for this part since they wouldn't be seen, her gloves, and then her cloak. She smoothed her cloak and dress. She was already getting too warm in the cloak. The dress and cloak were a bit too long until she put on her heels, then the dress and cloak stopped barely a half-inch above the ground, so that it wouldn't drag and remain pristine as she walked, even outside. "What do you think?"

"I think you're the most beautiful bride I've ever seen," Michelle said softly.

"Yeah. That dress with the cloak is just amazing," Lou added.

Mi walked out of the bedroom. "Ready."

Bride and photographer stepped outside, Mi holding up her cloak and dress as she walked to the spot flattened in the snow so to not spoil the gown and cloak's stark whiteness. Mi felt a little like a princess, standing with a bouquet in the snow, the blue sky and lake in the background, as the photographer went about her business. She took shots of Mi with the hood up and the hood down, and with the cloak on and the cloak off. Mi was comfortably warm with the cloak and gloves on, so she was able to relax and not stand in shivering stiffness.

Before the photographer was finished, Lou and Michell appeared wearing long wool dresses in rich navy blue, paired with thick cream shawls for added warmth. Matching insulated cream gloves complemented the outfits while keeping their hands warm. As they smoothed their dresses, Mi nodded in approval. Both women were incredibly beautiful, each in her own entirely different way, and she couldn't understand why someone hadn't snapped them up yet. The photographer repeated the series of shots she'd just completed, along with a few more, with Mi's maid of honor and bridesmaid at her side.

"That's it! Great! Thank you," the photographer said. "We'll get the groom's shots when he arrives, and then the two of you together after the ceremony."

The women returned to the house. Mi removed the cloak and carefully laid it out on the bed. As the time for the ceremony approached, Mi began to pace, despite Michelle and Lou's near constant reassurances that everything was going to be beautiful.

"Ms. Jang? It's time," the wedding planner said, holding out her hand to call Mi to her.

"Oh, God," Mi murmured, causing everyone to smile. Only thirty minutes to go.

Mi shrugged into her cloak, put on her white heels, and was deposited into the tent with Lou and Michelle. The men were having their pictures taken and would have to stand in the cold. There was a chair available, but Mi was too nervous to sit. She walked in a tight circle inside the tent, trying to burn off her nerves.

"Relax," Michelle said. "You're going to be exhausted before you even walk down the aisle."

"I'm scared, Michelle. What if I'm making a mistake?"

"Don't be ridiculous! You and Rob are perfect for each other. I've never seen two people more in love."

"But--"

"Oh, just stop," Lou said firmly. "You've just got preop jitters. Everyone gets them before they begin a big operation. Once you start, they'll pass."

"This isn't some marshal operation, Lou," Mi complained.

"I know! This is something wonderful, so just relax! If you try to back out now, I'll kick your ass, Jang, you hear me?"

Mi snickered and took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Yeah, okay."

Lou nodded. "There. That's better. Just stay frosty. It should be easy. It's colder than Jack Frost's balls out here."

Mi giggled again, Lou's wit taking the edge off her nerves.

"Ladies," the wedding planner said, sticking her head into the tent.

"You look beautiful," Lou said, giving Mi a hug.

Michelle hugged her next. "You do. You're a lucky woman. See you in a few minutes."

Mi was alone in the tent, waiting for her cue. She wished Dad were here to escort her down the aisle, but even if he were still alive, she couldn't have invited him. She'd finally come to grips with his death. She missed him, and she guessed she always would, but now she could think about him without wanting to cry. She had no one from her family in attendance. She squared her shoulders, sniffed, and prepared herself. She was a strong, independent woman. She didn't need anyone to escort her down the aisle, and she'd walk it alone.

Pachelbel's Canon in D began to play. The melody seemed to play a long time, but eventually an arm pulled the tent flap back. She took one last breath to calm herself and stepped out. Rob was standing there. She paused, confused. This wasn't how they rehearsed it.

"From this moment forward, you'll never be alone," he said softly as he offered his arm.

She whimpered, sniffed, and whimpered again, struggling not to cry. She failed, his gesture touching her deeply. She nodded and took his arm. Thank God for the hooded cloak. They walked slowly as the music played, and by the time they turned to face each other in front of their guests, she'd regained control of herself. At least for the moment. He smiled at her and slowly pulled her hood back.

From there, the ceremony went as they'd rehearsed it, and when Rob was told he could kiss the bride, he smiled at her with such tenderness she thought she might cry again. He took her lips in a slow caress. He kept it clean, but she could sense the love.

"I love you," he murmured as his lips pulled back.

"I love you too," she replied in the same low whisper as they were announced to the gathered crowd.

After the march, the wedding party posed for pictures. Mi couldn't stop smiling, and there was much chatter about Rob's sudden change in plans. He'd told no one what he was going to do, but everyone approved. Most of those assembled knew Mi's situation and why she had no family present.

After photos, they caravanned to the civic center where they danced, ate cake, and greeted well-wishers. Now that the wedding was over, Mi was exhausted. She hadn't realized how keyed up she was until now. She smiled and nodded, but she was ready for it to be over. They left for Aruba in the morning, but at the moment, she could think of nothing but getting Rob home so they could be alone.

Finally, after what felt like years of smiling, handshakes, and hugs, the reception was over and they could finally escape. As beautiful as her wedding dress was, as beautiful as she felt wearing it, she was more than ready to get it off.

She shivered as they settled into her Subaru. Without the sun, the temperature was dropping rapidly. He started the car and backed out of the parking space.

"Why'd you do it?" she asked. She'd been itching to ask him the question since the wedding, but this was their first moment alone.

"Do what?"

"Walk me down the aisle."

He shrugged. "It seemed like the thing to do."

"No, really... why? I'd like to know."

He took her hand. "You've been through so much. I wanted to be there for you, to show you that from now on, it's you and me, together. Did it bother you?"

She pursed her lips, remembering how much it had touched her. "No. It was... special... perfect. Thank you."

"As I said, you'll never be alone again."

"When did you decide you were going to do that?"

"Yesterday, at the rehearsal."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He smiled. "I wanted it to be a surprise. Was it?"

She squeezed his hand. "You know it was."

"A good one, I hope."

"A very good one."

They arrived home and the house was ablaze in lights. She didn't know Rob had turned all the lights on to greet them on their return, but the house was glimmering like a jewel in the night. He didn't carry her across the threshold, but he did sweep her up in his arms as soon as the door closed behind them. The house was warm, the furnace doing its job, but the fire had died since this morning, and the house seemed lacking because of it.

He put her down and kissed her tenderly. "Welcome home, Mrs. Cogburn."

A small smile tugged at her lips as she softly caressed his face. "I love you."

He held the hand to his cheek. "And I love you."

They changed into something more comfortable. It took longer than it should have because she couldn't stop touching him. Finished changing, she looked out at the lake as Rob revived the fire. The tent had been removed, as well as all the chairs, and though she couldn't tell in the darkness, probably the strips of carpeting as well. She was home. No matter where they ended up, this would always be home. She turned as Rob poked at the coals, stirring the fire to life.

She sauntered up to him and he pulled her into his arms. Considering they'd been making love at least once a day for over a year, with very few exceptions, tonight shouldn't be that much different, but it was. For the first time in Mi's life, she was going to be making love to her husband. He kissed her luxuriously, the flames of her desire warming her in ways the fireplace couldn't.

"Ready to eat?" he asked.

She smiled. It might be dinner time, but she had more pressing needs. "Later. You have some husbandly duties to perform first."

He smiled down at her as he slid her shirt from her shoulder. "My thoughts exactly."