All Comments on 'The Missionary and the Half-Breed'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy9 months ago

Excellent story!

5

Cracker270Cracker2709 months ago

A very well told story. Thank you for the very interesting history lesson.

A_BierceA_Bierce9 months ago

A wonderful story filled with tension, courage, and love. Many thanks, Ronde; so glad you came back.

alexetlaurealexetlaure9 months ago

Beautifully written story

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wonderful story. Very entertaining and well written.

wapentakewapentake9 months ago

You sir, are a master story teller. A well deserved five.

stewartbstewartb9 months ago

Well worth reading ... too bad it wasn't around a campfire with good company.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Thank you, Great story. I attended a workshop on breast cancer liklihood in Askenazi women. As a (prostate) cancer survivor, I was eligble for a screening DNA, learned I carried the gene for womens breast cancer.

Thankfully, I had only boys. I paid for the family history examination & was told I was 8% Crimean Tatar. Shocked, I had a 2nd DNA done. Same result.

2 years later, I learned my grandparents had been neighbors, played together. Greadgrandfather, home on an Army leave, found her again, eloped & were civilly married, in Kyev. She converted to his faith. Your story touched me. Again, thank you,

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wonderful story and I loved the end. You sound like a respectful person and I bet the Lakota will see that.

Ravey19Ravey199 months ago

Excellent story, not an expert in any way but sounded realistic to me. 5⛤

Crusader235Crusader2359 months ago

Wonderful story, certainly rang true.

Gold was discovered in the Black Hills which was sacred to the Lakota. Many battles were fought in that area ending in the Lakota being moved to reservations. Part of the very ugly United States history.

Comentarista82Comentarista829 months ago

When I read this story, I actually felt like I was watching a slightly alternate episode of Dances with Wolves. I really liked the different angle of using a missionary to try to convert the Sioux, and I don't believe I've read a story like that on this site before. I appreciate how you took the care to draw Running Elk as you did and it seemed to me that you reflected the appropriate intensity and unknown nature of their mutual meeting between Frederick and Running Elk. The pacing of the story seemed appropriate. The fact Frederick died from a rattlesnake bite seemed a bit appropriate, in the sense of comeuppance for him not appropriately loving his wife in the manner that one would expect. Then to see Rebecca transition from expecting to be a missionary to the Sioux and then becoming a Sioux wife to Running Elk, was quite the reversal. I appreciate how you took the time to record the episodes of how the women patiently taught her, and especially how Running Elk inquired about what she learned each day. It certainly humanized the Sioux, which was very appropriate. This was much like what Kevin Costner did in the movie Dances with Wolves. So I really appreciate this effort, as I enjoyed the story very much and was very happy with how you chose to develop and write it. This definitely earned a five!

des911des9118 months ago

Another great story. This was very well paced, lots of humanity on display, as well as the traditions of the Lakota, and the traditions of the white people to make a mess of everything. I really enjoy your stories and this is up to your usual high standard.

Thank you

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...