The Most Dangerous Man in the Room

Story Info
How do you tell who is the most dangerous man in the room?
5.9k words
4.36
97.8k
84
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,990 Followers

Edited by blackrandl1958

*

It was a game we played at almost every new bar or restaurant we visited. It was a lot of fun and gave me a lot of ideas for my books.

I was a writer, mostly B novels, action-adventures mostly. I was really big in paperbacks but never quite cracked the top tier. I had an editor once sum up what she thought the problem was. "You're a pretty decent writer, but every book has the same plot. Hero defeats bad guys and saves the world. It's made you pretty good money but I'd bet very few readers make it past the third book before they go looking for someone with more imagination. If you really want to succeed, you need to break out of your comfort zone. Write a romance, a historical piece, maybe some sci-fi. Good guys don't always win, and many die."

Well, I did ask. I even tried, but never got anything far enough along to finish.

The man I was with was retired from some alphabet agency or another, had a wealth of stories and insights, and I used him from time to time as a consultant if I wanted a broader perspective. This guy had been around the world, and some of the stories he told would scare the hell out of you. Then he'd grin and tell you he made it up. Then he'd stop grinning and say it had better never, ever, show up in one of my books

After a couple of meetings our game started. "Who's the most dangerous man in the room?" His answers almost always surprised me. Today he casually glanced around the room, never staying on anyone more than a second.

"It's the guy in the black turtleneck."

"Really?"

"Really. Look where he's sitting, back to the thickest wall in here with ready access to the kitchen exit and the front door."

"He seems too relaxed, and besides, he's got gray hair and a beard."

He rolled his eyes. "People dye their hair all the time to achieve a certain result. Who's gonna worry about some old guy? He's dressed comfortably in clothes that don't draw attention. They're loose, but you can see muscles under there when he moves certain ways. Plus, his eyes haven't stopped moving for more than a second or two since we've been her. As far as being relaxed, you don't think someone who was jittery and nervous wouldn't draw attention? Even a bartender or waitress would flag it. Nervous people make lousy customers."

"How come he hasn't made you yet?"

My friend smiled. "He made me the moment he laid eyes on me. If he viewed me as a threat, he would be more watchful, but he senses I'm not interested. After all, this is a pretty popular bar and restaurant. He probably thinks I just want a meal and a drink to wind down for a bit. If I made the slightest remotely hostile move he'd notice."

"He doesn't look dangerous. He isn't that big or particularly mean looking."

"All the best ones seem harmless. One usually doesn't notice the kitten turning into a tiger until he's sank his fangs deep into your throat. Remember, the most dangerous is not always the most fit. There are power brokers out there who weigh 300 pounds and can barely lift a pencil, but if you piss them off it can end very, very, badly. They can go after your money, your wife, anything at all that you hold in value will disappear right before your eyes and there would be nothing you can do about it. They were called 'bad men' in the old West, but it doesn't mean what most thought it meant. If you were labelled a bad man, it didn't mean you were evil or an outlaw; you could be a rancher or a shopkeeper. It meant you were a bad man to cross.

"I'm getting the impression he's watching you. You haven't gone anything stupid, robbed anybody, stolen secrets, or slept with someone's wife, things like that, have you?"

He laughed out loud at my silence. "You don't strike me as a thief, so it must be a woman. Or is it women? I've met your wife and she is attractive and has a lovely personality. She had no clue, does she?"

I felt like I needed to defend my lifestyle. "It doesn't mean anything. You know I'm on the road a lot doing research and book signings. Sometimes you get lonely."

"Yes, and sometimes you get stupid. Please tell me it's just one-night stands and they all happened far away."

My silence made him frown. "I'd advise you to be careful, but it's too late. Is she married? What does her husband do? Is he connected to people or agencies that could make you very miserable?"

"Her husband is a clueless wimp. The only one dangerous in my world is my father-in-law. Dan Lunsford."

He didn't say anything for a second. Then it all came tumbling out. " You're married to Christy Lunsford? I never realized how much of an idiot you were. Jesus Christ! You got a death wish? Because if the General ever finds out, you'd vanish without a trace. Don't call me again. Never. I'm leaving now."

I stared after him, wondering what the hell happened. Nobody was ever going to catch me. I was super careful, always played far from home, rarely with the same woman twice, although there was one woman in Seattle of whom I was quite fond. She looked great and was hotter than hell in the sack. I'd been with her five times now, and it seemed like every time was better than the last. She was also married and we were discreet, our get togethers timed to coincide with his regular business trips. As much as we wanted to, we never spent the night together, limiting ourselves to three hours at the most. We didn't even use motels. Her friend had a cabin on one of the local lakes. It was at the end of a lane and was the ultimate in private and secluded. I had spent the night there twice, and it made me want to look for something like it. If my popularity kept going up, I'd be able to afford one in a few years.

If Christy would do it, we could buy one now. Her family was loaded: old money that had been shrewdly built on over the generations. Christy got a degree in finance and went into money management, something she tried to explain a couple of times, once when we got married and once when I used her as a source for a book. I understood very little, but knew she was very good at it. Besides the family money and the trust funds she had, three of them, she made four times what I did just off her salary, and never had to use any of it.

As a matter of fact, I'd asked her about maybe investing in a little cabin somewhere and got shot down pretty fast. Somehow or other, she'd gotten pissed and I immediately dropped it.

Her father was a retired General, now working for a D.C. thinktank. I knew he didn't like me but he never opposed the marriage; the one barb he hurled was telling Christy she was old enough to make her own mistakes and learn to deal with the results.

So yeah, my wife was hot, rich and from a very old and respected family. Then why did I fuck around?

Because I could. My police sources would describe it as motive and opportunity. Minimized risk and all those other terms. And somehow, every time I banged a woman, especially if she was married, it gave me a thrill knowing I was probably sticking it to some fat cat lawyer or politician who looked down on me. Sometimes I felt like I was sticking it to my snobby wife if she'd managed to piss me off over something.

It all fairness I'd never seen her act snobby, but it had to be in there somewhere. Her family background had to include a sense of entitlement. All rich bitches were alike.

Why did I marry her? Money and position. She was the only one working while I wrote my first book, and I had to suck up my pride when she used family connections to give me a boost. Her cousin owned the only publishing house that would offer me a deal, but only for epublishing and paperbacks. The option was in the contract for hardbacks, if I met a certain standard that I never seemed able to attain. Oddly enough, I was never once approached about video rights. Maybe with this one.

I sighed, paid the check and went home.

*****

Christy seemed to be uncommonly busy the next week, something about big money and a family scandal. She and her team were doing damage control and she was in bed late and left early every day. I tried being intimate and she begged off, promising me a night I'd never forget once she had everything straightened out. I made sure to be up the next Monday before she left for work. She had dressed in the standard power suit of her class, matching skirt and jacket, silk blouse and pearls. No-nonsense two-inch heels. The only thing different was her hose. They didn't look like pantyhose, but it didn't mean anything; she often wore sexy underthings to important meetings. She said it gave her an extra boost of confidence, knowing she was in a thong and stockings while reducing heavy hitters to whiney little boys who would do anything to please her.

"I'll be gone when you get back. I have to go back to Seattle for one more consultation with those experts I told you about. This one is going to be a best seller; I can just feel it."

She gave me a kiss on the cheek with no body contact. "That's good dear. I hope you learn interesting things while you're gone."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I hope you learn something interesting enough to put in the book to make it a better read. What did you think I meant?"

Her green eyes glowed with innocence. I relaxed. "Sorry, honey, but this one has me really wound tight. This should be my last research trip for a while. Miss me?"

"Not if he's a good shot."

"What?"

She smiled. "Just seeing if you were listening to me. Travel safe honey. My car is here."

Her father insisted she not drive herself. "Image," he kept pounding into her. "Your clients are the top of the food chain. You have to look and act like you belong there."

She had that down pat. I'd been to several functions with her and was miserable. It was like even the language was different. "Why am I here?"

Her smile got a little tight. "Because you're my husband and want to support me. Would it kill you to look proud of me?"

Gradually it became less and less. If I knew she had anything coming up, I'd make sure I had a research trip planned. In all honesty they made an effort to make me comfortable, and looking back I should have cultivated them a bit. I bet every story some of them told would make interesting novels.

"I am proud of you. You're the whole deal honey, beauty, brains, business and social skills beyond compare. Have I missed anything?"

I got my first genuine smile in days. "You left out a wildcat in bed, but I guess your memory is fading."

"What?"

"Gotta go. See you when you get back."

Well then, I thought, as the town car drove away, no "I love you?" I determined I'd better take care of my homework when I get back.

*****

We were in a nice restaurant, candles, soft music, the perfect atmosphere for seduction. She had outdone herself, and every man in the place turned when we walked in. Her little black dress was perfect, the diamond earrings I'd just given her glittering in her ears. She was twirling her hair and I'd learned that was a tell for a night of hot sex. I was proud to be seen in her company but my spook friend had gotten to me and I checked out the place.

It looked like a normal group of people, although there was a blond guy there that gave me a bad feeling. He noticed, looked at my date and grinned. It was enough to make me relax.

We were giving each other little touches, warming ourselves up, enjoying an after-dinner drink before we drove to the cabin. I felt a change in atmosphere in the room and looked towards the door.

IT COULDN'T BE! But there she was, dressed to the nines and looking absolutely stunning. What the hell was my wife doing there? She was supposed to be on the other side of the continent.

It seemed she was looking for someone and the blond guy stood up, walking over and giving her a brief hug before escorting her to the table, getting a small kiss on the cheek when he pulled out her chair.

I was off in the corner and tried to will myself into invisibility. They never once looked my way, engrossed in a conversation that looked anything but serious. I heard her laugh peal out over something as she put her hand on his arm. Sonofabitch! She was sitting right in front of me flirting with a man, all the way across the country from home, and I can't do shit about it without giving myself away.

Then I had a flash of inspiration. She didn't know I was with anyone and the last thing my date needed was exposure. I quietly explained the situation and she couldn't leave fast enough. I was supposed to be there, after all. I gave Rose a few minutes to clear before I went over. Jasmine looked up, and instead of being shocked she smiled.

"There you are honey! I thought you might be here! I couldn't find any hotel registration or I'd have come there. You mentioned this place a few times so I thought I'd take a chance. And before I forget, turn your phone on."

I pulled it out and restarted it, to see the texts and messages she'd left. I was home free. Maybe.

"I'm glad to see you, but why are you here?"

"Remember the account I was working on, the one that included old money and scandal? It brought me here. Surprise!"

I looked at her companion and he smiled, rising to shake my hand. "James Rogers. I'm her contact point here."

I breathed a big sigh of relief. I had already eaten, so I sat while they finished, making small talk. I explained to Jasmine I was staying at a cabin owned by my contact, for better access. She bought it instantly.

A new waitress brought over the bill for my meal. Jasmine, always money conscious, told me to pay it because of expense accounts so I gave her a card. She looked at it closely.

"James Morris?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Could I see some ID please? Your name is on a watch list for stolen Identification. I'm so sorry for this, sir. I'm just following instructions. You may want to call your card company and make sure you're safe."

Sonofabitch! Now I was going to spend hours on the phone. I fished my driver's license out and she looked at it closely. "Yep. It's you. James Morris, you have been served."

She snapped a picture of me holding the documents she thrust into my hands and walked away. I looked at Jasmine and felt pure terror. She didn't seem upset at all. The blond guy was grinning.

Jasmine's expression changed and I got the feeling it was the look she gave miscreants in her professional dealings. It was kind of a cross between loathing and disgust. "There you go, Jimmy. In about five months, unless you prove difficult, you'll be the owner of a shiny new divorce. Then you can fuck all the road whores you can get your hands on with a clear conscience. Then again, you probably don't own one of those, do you? Don't worry, you'll come out like bandit. You can't touch anything but my salary. The trusts, the cars (she had a 66 Mustang convertible, an Austin-Healy 3000, and a 77 Firebird, all in mint condition, that I never got to drive), the boat and the Ski-doos, even the houses. Still and all, I'm going to have to pay you alimony for three years because of the wide gap between what I make and you make. I think I'll give you a lump sum and write it off as a lesson learned. In case you haven't figured it out, you were the project I was working on, you know, the one about family and scandal? Do us all a favor and go quietly.

"It's sad, Jimmy. If you had remained faithful, you'd still be enjoying an easy life and most of the toys. I was thinking about giving you the Firebird for an anniversary gift. Screwed that up, huh?

"I'm sure it will be a nice learning experience for you, having to pay your own way."

She had steel in her voice but a tear in her eye. She was holding on to the blond and I got a feeling it was for security. "Jas, is there any..."

"Nope. No. Nyet. Non. No in any form of any language you can think of. I know about the cowgirl in Tulsa, and your Sothern Belle in Georgia. Now you've got a steady here in the Northwest. Does she know about your other conquests? If she didn't, she will any minute now. Her husband is not pleased about you, Jimmy, and he's in a position to give you a lot of grief.

"It was pure coincidence, the way I found out. Your new honey's husband is pretty high up in the West Coast Branch of an alphabet agency. He thought something was off between them so he had her watched. When he got the pictures, he ran you through facial recognition software and had you in minutes. He hasn't been out here long and thought you looked familiar. He had a quiet word with Daddy and the rest, as they say, is history. You can look forward to a very uncomfortable conversation with him, soon.

"Your stuff has been packed and placed in storage. Here's the key. I'm not kidding, Jimmy; you need to run as far away as you can as quickly as you can. It won't help, but it might make you feel better. And this guy won't just storm up to you. He'll make your life hell and then reach out of the darkness one night and you'll disappear. Run!"

I did, my face burning with shame as I fled the restaurant to their laughter.

*****

Jasmine looked at her companion sadly. "Think he bought it?"

"You saw his face; the man is terrified."

"I know you have the right, James, but you're not going to hurt him too badly, are you?"

"Not really. Abby could have said no, so it's just as much her fault. I am gonna screw with him and keep him terrified for quite a while. He'll never get a full night's sleep the rest of his life. When he gets to the airport, he'll find out he's on the no-fly list and there won't be a rental agency at the airport willing to give him a car. He'll have to take the bus to get anywhere, and it'll be a while before he figures that out. His cards will be temporarily suspended because of the stolen card report, but it will only be for a day or two. Does he have a good bank account?"

"Not really. He liked his toys and liked to travel in style. After all, he didn't have to pay any bills now, did he?"

"I almost told him who I was just to see how he would react."

"He'd have pissed his pants. I'm tired, will you take me to the hotel?"

The blond man rose with a grace that belied his size and helped her out of her chair, driving her to the most expensive hotel in town and seeing her safely inside her suite. He looked at her with pure regret and marveled at how stupid her husband was. This one was solid gold. Unlike his wife.

"Goodbye, Jasmine. Sleep well. My grandmother once told me any problem was more easily solved after a good night's sleep. I'm sorry we met like this."

She reached up and pulled him down so she could kiss his cheek. Damn it, where was he three years ago, she thought. Then she smiled sadly. He'd been with his wife for six years, three longer than she had with Jimmy. Surprisingly sleep came well and she actually smiled when he got up. Wonder how uncomfortable Jimmy's night was?

*****

The short answer to that was damned uncomfortable. I almost lost it when I found out I'd been flagged and couldn't fly. This smelled of my father-in-law. I stopped complaining when men in uniforms with guns came towards me.

A few tried to hide the grins. They worked very closely with the agency who'd given them a heads up. They had a code for when things were personal, and a separate one for cheating with the spouse of someone in law enforcement and he had both out against him. A couple followed me to the car counters and got to listen to me as I ranted. They approached me after the third attempt.

"Sir, you're causing a disturbance. You have been placed on the no-fly list and now you don't seem to be able to rent a car. I suggest you leave before we arrest you for vagrancy and creating a disturbance."

They escorted me out of the airport and gave me directions to the bus terminal. I had just enough cash to get halfway home and by then I should be able to get my cards straightened out. I spent an uncomfortable three hours on a hard bench waiting, and the seat of the bus felt like heaven to me. I slept all the way to Tulsa and made a call.

qhml1
qhml1
8,990 Followers
12