The Mountain Clans

Story Info
Fleeing to safety didn't work.
18.8k words
4.67
20.2k
26
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was freezing, huddled in on myself behind Leilani on her huge warhorse. We'd been in the mountains for days and I was starving, thirsty, tired and sore on top of so cold I was losing feeling in my toes.

Every couple of hours, Lani would assure me we were almost there and not to worry, but I was worried.

For years I had heard her tell stories of how she had left home after her father died because she feared for her life. She'd become a fighter, powerful and brutal until she became my bodyguard when I was born. My father had put her in charge of protecting me and she had.

Even when I had wanted to stay and try to save my parents when the Miovians came. They had come enmass, overwhelming the gates immediately and there had been no time at all, no one had known they were coming at all.

As soon as she got word, Lani hadn't hesitated, she had taken me through the escape tunnels and ridden away with me. I knew why. I'd just had my birthday and the same day, nobles all around the country had put forth their names to be considered. Miovia had sent an emissary and my father had sent them away without even seeing them, saying he would only allow me a husband from Mareshomese. Lani said they had come to claim me and the throne for themselves and we had been riding hard for days.

She came from one of the high mountain clans, a noble herself. She'd run when her uncle took over their house and she knew he'd marry her off and be rid of her as soon as he could. As soon as he invited an older man with a foot in the grave, Lani knew she was being used and she refused it, opting to go to the lands below instead. Her fighting style was mountain clan style and new and different below. She made her way by taking jobs as a mercenary and learning to fight in new ways until she was taken into the king's guard, then given as my guardian. She'd told stories of the mountain clans and how ruthless they were, how violent. How she would never go back. How she COULDN'T go back. Her cousin would be in power in her house now and her uncle had had designs on the throne for her cousin. He was likely on the throne and would not appreciate Lani showing up with a claim to the house herself.

I couldn't help but feel as though we were running from one danger into another.

Lani slowed, suddenly, looking around warily, so I followed her gaze. There were people in the trees with bows, guarding the only path up the mountain. Lani kept going, but she was moving more slowly now.

"We should go back!" I whispered.

"Too late now, Button," she whispered back.

I scowled at her back, still hating that nickname. "They are about to shoot us!"

"We are two women, what harm could we do? They are meant to stop invaders, not two women who are harmless."

"You are NOT harmless," I snorted.

"They do not know that! And you will say nothing of it, no? Remember, you may only call me Lani and you will not speak your name at all. You are Button, my child."

"I won't answer to that!"

She chuckled. "It is easy to remember and you answer to it as readily as you do your own name. We need to be practical."

"I'm not a child anymore, Lani!"

"So you are not, Isola, and that is why we had to flee. You are no longer a child and many men want the power you would bring them. Here, you must let them see what they think they see. Keep your chest and hips covered and your head down, and they will think you are my child."

"You can't be serious?"

"It is not uncommon for a child to have their fathers coloring and not their mothers. They would think I was with one of the men from below and had myself a pale little one. Hush now, we are almost to the waypoint. Heed what I say, Isola. You are my Button, keep your head down and your eyes on your toes, yes?"

"Fine, I don't even care so long as there is a fire and food! And then a bed!"

Lani chuckled again and patted my foot. "Remember, also, do not be bossy. Servants are not the way of things here and none would look kindly on demands. You must do for yourself, yes?"

"When have I ever been bossy?"

"Sometimes it is a thing you do not realize, Button, to ask another for a drink. You are polite, but it is still not done here. If you are asked, you may agree or decline, but do not ask. Once you are welcomed into a place, you may do as you please. Eat, drink, sleep. But only if you have been formally welcomed. Being invited inside is not a formal welcome. Being handed food and drink is not a formal welcome."

"How will I know?"

"You will know."

I sighed and peeked around her, looking ahead at the gate across the mountain trail. Soldiers were coming out of a hut-like doorway, like there was a room carved in the cliff face there.

Lani sighed, but kept going, reining in when one of the men held a hand up.

"State your business!"

"I am returning home," Lani called, pulling her hood back. "My husband died and I am come back to live with my brother and his wife, my child and I."

"Name?"

"Lani Bearclaw."

Bows were drawn quickly and Lani went stiff as the man held a hand up to forestall the archers.

"How long since your last visit, downworlder?"

"I am not a downworlder! I was born among the peaks!"

"I said how long?"

"Twenty five years. Perhaps more, perhaps less."

"Things have changed here, downworlder."

"I am not...!"

"You have spent more time there than here!" the man interrupted. "And you do not know the way of things here now or you would not have come! Take them," he commanded as soldiers surrounded them.

"Do not harm my child!" Lani called quickly as we were both pulled off of the saddle in opposite directions.

I felt panic well up as I was carried inside. The heat from the fires wasn't even a comfort as I looked around, trying to see Lani. When I was dropped onto a bench, she was pushed down right next to me.

"It's fine, Button," Lani murmered quickly. "They don't hurt children here, they take them and raise them as their own. It is the way of things here. Stay quiet and be good."

"What's happening?" I asked fearfully as the large man came in and shrugged off his heavy fur coat.

He looked over Lani as she sat up straight and squared her shoulders, showing no fear. "We see few travelers through here anymore," the man smiled. He had the same burnished bronze coloring as Lani, but lacked her freckles covering her entire body. His hair crested in a silken black spike that flipped down over one side and the other side of his head was shaved. I stared at the elaborate tattoo there, not understanding what I was seeing. "But it wasn't long ago that we did," the man continued. "We've all been trained to take note of everything and spot lies," he smiled grimly, pulling a knife out of his sheethe. "Hold her," he demanded, stepping close as two men grabbed Lani and jerked her head to the side.

I stood, alarmed, and a woman soldier behind me took hold of my shoulders, firmly, but not painfully.

The man began cutting away Lani's hair on one side and he kept cutting and shaving until an elaborate lotus was uncovered, tattooed into the side of her head, the same way his was.

"Well now," the man chuckled. "Seems we have royalty among us! That means you can only be one person. Leilani Wolfsbane. Welcome home," he laughed derisively, then shoved her to the ground and put a boot on her head. "The Winterrose's are going to be so happy to see you! Before we pack you up and send you along to them, tell me why you are here now, after all this time."

"I told you! My husband died and I wanted to come back, keep my child safe. We had everything taken from us after he died! What could we do against so many men?"

He laughed derisively again. "You think we are unaware of where you trained, Leilani? We all know you are a master at your craft, why do you think the archers have kept trained on you and your... whatever she is. Not your child, that is certain. Tell me the truth. Who is the girl that you brought here in her nightgown and robe and naught else but a blanket? You ran from something. Is she important, Leilani? Are you protecting her? Bringing her here to hide her from the downworlders?"

"She is no one. The child of a couple I worked for. They were murdered and they would have killed the girl too to take their land! They weren't even nobles, just wealthy merchants with land! I couldn't let them kill her for no reason."

"That so, child?" the man asked me.

I nodded, my face burning with shame and fear as I looked down at Leilani.

The man stepped closer and took my hand, looking at it, then the other. He pushed my sleep up, running fingers over my skin. Lifting me, he turned me and grabbed my leg, lifting my foot to look at the bottom of it. He set me back down as I began panting fearfully as he grabbed my face and tilted it up to look at my teeth. His eyes went to mine as he held on to my face. "What sort of merchants?"

"Uhhh... ummm... they sold things?" I answered, trembling.

"What sorts of things?"

"Umm... books? Umm... paints? Brushes, canvases. Umm..."

"Tell another lie, I dare you," he smiled malevolently.

I froze up, then broke down sobbing. Not only because I really was terrified and wanted to, but because it would make him think I was younger than I was.

"Button! Button, don't be afraid! They don't care about that here, just tell them! Her parents sold bodies to the medica school. They paid poor people for dead loved ones and sold them! She's been tormented for it and she's afraid to tell anyone!"

"That so, 'Button'?" the man asked, turning my face back up to his.

I nodded, unable to speak as I kept crying.

The man snorted again and looked over my head at the woman holding me. "Feed her, get her some real clothes, then put a bunk in the pantry and tie her to it so she can't try and run. Take the princess there and bind her hand and foot, make sure it's tight. Hogtie her to that post and I want a guard on her until morning when I take them both up the mountain."

He left and the woman led me to a bench near the fire and sat me down, making me a plate as the others tied Leilani. I turned, but she shook her head quickly. Don't fight. Do what a kid would do. I ate, then the woman took me into the pantry and handed me a pile of warm clothes. Boys clothes, but I wasn't complaining. When she stood and crossed her arms to watch, I looked up at her in alarm.

"Can I change alone?"

"Not a chance, kid," she smirked.

I turned away and pulled my gown off, trying to yank the undershirt on quickly. I'd just got it down to my hips when the woman grabbed my shoulder and turned me, looking down at my chest. She scowled, then looked up at my face.

Stepping back, she opened the door while still holding my shoulder. "Luka, get Konani back here, now!"

I tried to pull away, terrified all over again.

Leilani could see me, just barely and I looked to her fearfully and she started fighting, struggling, but it was too late. She was bound completely and couldn't get free.

The woman stepped back into the pantry and moved to the back, then spun me and held me in front of her. She took hold of my wrists and held them wide as if displaying me.

The large man stepped in, scowling, "What the hell, Malia, I told... Well now. What's this then?" he asked, coming in and looking me over, his eyes lingering. He had no qualms at all, dropping to a knee and lifting the shirt to look at my chest as I let out a cry and struggled. He chuckled and took hold of my underclothes, pulling them down just enough to expose the small patch of hair over my mound.

"Please don't!" I cried.

"How old are you?" he demanded, yanking my underwear back up and lowering the shirt. "And don't you dare lie to me."

"Eighteen," I whispered.

He gave a single nod and stood, looking at the woman. "Dress her and tie her as I told you. "I want a guard in here too, I need to go change the missive I was writing and get it sent out right away."

"You know who she has to be?" the woman asked.

"Of course. Do as I say, Malia. Don't harm her."

He left and Malia let me go, motioning to the clothes as she scowled at me. I yanked them on gratefully, my heart hammering in my chest. I'd been sure something awful was about to happen, but the man had just looked and left.

He knew who I was.

Would he sell me back to Miovia?

Malia tied me to the bed, but not too tightly, then called in another woman to keep watch on me as I slept. I thought I was too afraid to sleep, but it quickly proved untrue as I passed out from exhaustion.

It was an older woman who woke me, untying me and handing me a bowl of porridge. There was a new guard, another woman and she watched me curiously. I ate quickly, hoping they would let me out of the tiny room to see Lani.

The guard did lead me out, but Lani wasn't there, just the large man called Konani. "Get her a coat that fits her, and a wrap for her face. She'll be riding with me, I don't want her in the back with her guardian. Get her gloves as well and put wraps on her boots. She won't be used to the cold temperatures from above."

"Where's Lani?" I asked quickly as soldiers moved to do as he ordered.

"She's already tied in the back of the cart. Don't worry over her, she is unharmed and packed in nice and warm. She can't move, but she is comfortable and warm."

"Can I see her?"

"No, Isola, you can't."

I went cold when he called me by my name and he smirked at me again.

"If I wasn't sure before, I am now," he told me as one of the soldiers helped me into a coat.

I tried to find Lani when I was pulled outside, but all I could see was a cart piled high with supplies being pulled by a donkey. Konani lifted me onto a large horse, then got on behind me before taking a blanket from another soldier and wrapping it around me. He held my waist, pulling me close before he started at a fast trot along the path. I had to admit he was a gentleman about it, not being free with his hands, being professional. After what he'd done the night before, I'd been afraid he would be a lech.

He kept the pace quick and as we rounded the mountain enough, I knew why. The sky far ahead was dark and overcast, a storm headed this way.

Konani turned. "I'm taking her ahead! Be quick but not foolish! If the storm hits, dig down until it lets up!"

"Yes Captain!" one of the men called. "You heard him, let's pick up the pace a bit! Mano, pay close attention to the trail and be careful!"

I couldn't hear more as Konani turned and started ahead at a slow run. I had to close my eyes as I clutched his arm, unable to watch the open cliff on the other side of us now.

"Ease up, Princess, I know what I'm doing. I've ridden this pass a thousand times."

"It's so far down!"

"It is, so how about you let go of my arm so I can move if I need to."

I let go, but clutched hands full of his pants next to me as I trembled.

"Be easy, Princess, it's a long ride. You're stressing Masseri and he needs to stay calm."

"I'm afraid!"

He sighed and reigned in close to the cliff, then spun me around to face him. "Wrap your arms and legs around me. Hold yourself close, it's warmer and it will help you feel more stable. Lay your head here, I need freedom to move my arms. There now, better?"

"Yes," I whispered, clutching him close as he wrapped the blanket back around me and tucked it in. When he took off again, I whimpered but didn't move. "Where are you taking me?" I asked, trying to think of anything else.

"Winterrose clan, to the king of the heights."

"Will he kill me?"

"Doubtful, you're too valuable."

"Will he kill Lani?"

"Leilani has a very different fate. I am sure she will be married off to Prince Wakea the day after she arrives so he has a claim to the throne of the valley."

"What will they do with me? Trade me to the Miovian's?"

"Doubtful, Princess. You will probably be given as a prize to a chief who has pleased the king best, or perhaps the son of the chief of the Screaming Eagles to bind them more closely."

"A... prize?" I asked indignantly.

"A wife, princess. The prize will be your hand."

"What use would anyone have for me up here? The only reason anyone wants me down there is for the throne! I am no prize at all! Just a girl born too early and never grew! I can do nothing, especially not up here and I'm not attractive in any way at all! I would be a burden to anyone who took me on! I'm sickly and frail and weak and that will never change! I'm too small!"

Konani chuckled darkly. "Have you never seen a mirror, Princess? I don't know what downworlders are like, but up here any man would be pleased to have such a lovely little prize. Pretty, well endowed, docile."

"I can never bear children!"

"Some men have no want of children, or already have grown children and don't wish more."

"You're wrong about me. I've seen plenty of mirrors. I'm too pale, too small, my hair too red. I've seen pretty girls at court and I am not one of them. I'm an... aberration."

"Who told you this, Princess?"

"Everyone. All of the other ladies always told me that it was alright that I wasn't pleasing to look at, I was a princess and would be able to marry well anyway."

"Then they were jealous and being cruel, it is not true at all. Quiet now, Princess, you are making me lose concentration."

I lay my head against his chest again, thinking about what he had said. I was going to be married off to some clan leader or their son. Probably some old man. This isn't what Leilani said would happen at all! Had so much changed? It had to have, when she spoke of the mountain clans, she had said there was only one king. There were at least two now and it was divided.

He slowed to a trot after a while, then sped up again, then slowed again. He was resting the horse, I realized, making him last until we got to where we were going.

The wind was beginning to cut through the blanket like it wasn't there and I was shivering again and my fear had lessened enough that I pulled my arms in to huddle against him.

"We are close to the waystation, Princess," he called over the wind. "It's not much longer!"

I didn't answer, clenching my teeth so they wouldn't chatter.

It seemed like an eternity before he finally slowed and reigned in, vaulting off the horse with me holding on to him. I expected him to drop me, but he carried me into the building before easing me to the floor.

There were soldiers there and he gave them instructions to see to his horse and clear the main quarters for his use until the storm passed. Setting me at the table, we were both served a bowl of store and I looked around at all of the men staring at me.

"You steal you a little downworlder then?" one of the soldiers asked.

"She is a parcel I'm delivering."

"Must be important to go out during storm season."

"I have more men coming with another parcel, they may be here tonight, maybe tomorrow, but be ready for them."

"Parcel like this one here?"

"Older, but yes."

"Can we pass her around a bit?"

"No one touches her. You try she'll likely gut you, just leave her bound and gagged as she is."

"What about this little morsel?"

"You touch her and I'll gut you."

I'd gone red and moved closer to Konani, half hiding behind his arm.

"No one will hurt you, Isola," he spoke gently. "Hurry and eat, I want to start as early as possible, as soon as the storm lets up."

I ate quietly, still hiding from the other soldiers and their leering looks. None of THEM were mistaking me for a child. At least I hoped they weren't.

Konani didn't hesitate as he finished, pulling me up and dragging me down a short hall to a small room. "Do I need to tie you down, or will you sleep?" she asked, shrugging his coat off.

"I'll sleep."

"Take your coat off but leave your clothes on so we can leave quickly when the time comes. Get in and move over."