The Mourning Tree

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nathan held out his free hand, and slowly, gingerly, Travis reached out and placed the gun in his palm.

Sam wiggled free running to his mother while Nathan holstered his gun and carefully spun the crying Travis around, handcuffing him.

"It's going to be o.k., Kid...It's going to be o.k," he said, holding the sobbing younger man to him as he would have Jonah.

ALL HALLOWS' EVE -

Nathan stood on the sidewalk, cell phone to his ear, trying to hear the other end of the conversation as costume-clad children poured around him carrying bags bulging with candy.

"You'll have to say that again, Sheriff. Things are kind of noisy around here."

"I was saying that I'm sorry about Gary. I knew him since he was a kid, and I trusted him too much, I guess. It never occurred to me that he would betray his oath."

"Having too much trust in the people we're close to isn't a crime, it's only human," said Nathan.

"Still, I should have known better. I'm glad it all worked out in the end."

"I'm happy to hear you're feeling better."

"Yep, I should be back on my feet in a few days. I'm kind of sorry to miss Halloween. The kids are always such a hoot in their costumes."

"The town looks like it's been overrun by an army of miniature monsters," chuckled Nathan.

"It was good working with you, Detective. I hope you will think about what I said to you earlier."

"I will, and it was good working with you too, Bart. Take care."

Nathan slipped his phone into his pocket just as Holly and Sam came running up.

"I'm getting so much candy!" yelled Sam excitedly, his voice muffled behind his Chewbacca mask.

"I can see that. It is quite a haul," replied Nathan admiring the way Sam's candy bag bulged.

He took Holly by the hand as they started up the sidewalk with Sam scampering along in front.

"So, I guess you will be heading home now that you got your man," said Holly.

"I have to take Travis back to Houston. That's true."

"You'll be missed around here."

"I don't know about that I haven't exactly made a lot of friends in these parts."

"You made one," she said, squeezing his hand.

He smiled down at her while they stopped at another house. Sam darted up to the door with his bag held in front of him.

"I understand why you would be happier there. Small town life isn't for everyone, and there's your career to consider."

"True, but I did recently become aware that there may be a job opportunity available here soon."

"Huh?" said Holly raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, it seems that the local sheriff has been rethinking the idea of running for another term. His wife has decided the job is far too dangerous, and he is getting too old and fat to handle it."

"Wives can be that way. So pushy..." said Holly, a bright smile coming to her face.

"Of course, I would need some help. I haven't exactly gotten off on the best foot with the people in town. I might need someone they respect to help run my campaign."

"Hm...Did you have anyone in mind for the position?"

"I was thinking it would have to be someone who didn't mind spending long hours around me. The campaign trail can be very demanding," said Nathan slipping his arms around her waist.

"I believe I know someone who would be up for that challenge. What would the salary be for this position?"

"No salary, but there would be perks."

"Oh! I'm all about the perks..." whispered Holly as their lips came together.

"Hey! Stop with the kissing! We have more houses!" pointed Sam urgently from beneath them a look of disgust painted on his young features.

"Right you are, Sam. Let's go," laughed Nathan.

The three of them walked down the sidewalk again, with Nathan holding Holly close to him.

"Happy Halloween, Ms. Mansfield."

"Happy Halloween, Detective Yost."

They were words Nathan had never thought he would ever hear himself say again, but he discovered they hurt a bit less now, and he had hope that one day, Halloween would stop being the day he lost everything and start being the day he found it.

Epilogue -

The wind was strong, whipping the tall grass like a giant hand passing over the fields and brushing across the top. Nathan stopped for a moment letting the breeze tickle his face. The weather was back to being unseasonable hot, and he enjoyed the way the fast-flowing air dried some of the sweat on his brow. He continued his walk toward the giant oak that sat all by its lonesome in the desolate expanse of grass. The many ribbons hanging from its branches snapped and fluttered, making strange noises that chased away the birds.

Nathan reached up to one branch that lay just over his head and tied two pieces of black and orange striped cloth he had bought in town to it. They joined the others, lifting away from the bark and flapping in the breeze.

"You'll be in good company here, and I won't be far away," said Nathan quietly, letting the matching ribbons run across his palm.

He returned to the car, firing up the engine.

"Everything alright, Detective?" asked Travis from the back seat.

"Everything is just fine, Travis. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Hopefully, my singing won't drive you nuts."

"I can carry a tune, Detective."

"Can you? Well then, let's be on our way. Do you know, 'Country Roads?'"

"John Denver...sure."

The car started to fill with their harmonies as they drove away.