The New Wolf Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This is bad." Lucas hung his head.

"I'd say so." James unlocked the cell and took a seat next to Lucas on the bench. "I told her the pain you caused was a normal part of the transition."

"I'm never doing that again," Lucas said. "I'll stay celibate until she's ready to come to me."

James nodded.

"I think that might take a long time," he said. "Especially since you're not allowed to go near her."

"But she's my mate." Lucas stood up.

"A mate you showed blatant disregard for. A mate that you hurt physically and emotionally."

"Let me talk to her, you can be there to moderate."

"Too late," James said. "She's back in Laramie."

"You kicked her out?" Lucas felt rage grow.

"No," James said. "I made a deal with her and I'm honoring that deal. This is good for the both of you. Sit back down."

Lucas took a seat, trying to keep his emotions under control.

"She will be here Friday thru Sunday. You are to make yourself scarce. I don't want her to see you. She's scared of you."

"So I'm not a member on the weekends? What about all pack runs? Or training demonstrations? Or parties?"

"Really? Parties? When was the last time you attended one?"

Lucas looked down.

"In a few weeks once she's comfortable then we will revisit our arrangement."

Lucas knew the Alpha was being fair. He nodded his head.

"Is she safe all the way in Laramie? She can't defend herself very well."

"I've got people watching her. I plan on utilizing one of our buildings in town too. I think I might send a few pack members down there occasionally to make sure she's safe."

Lucas made a fist. It should be him protecting her. He wanted to punch the concrete.

"Do you want me to move Roxy down to the second floor?"

"No," Lucas said. "Let me talk to her first. She made it clear she doesn't care that I found my mate. She still wants to be with me."

"Do you still want her? Plan on marking her the next full moon?"

The idea of marking anyone but Clara made Lucas growl. He shook his head.

"I feel bad for Roxy," James said. "But she'll be fine. I think she will be more upset about losing her apartment than losing you."

"I don't care," Lucas said. "She is the least of my concerns."

"This is going to take some time, but Clara is a good girl. She will come around."

A mate. Lucas never thought he would have one, now he wished he didn't. She complicated his life too much and she wasn't even part of it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Why don't you come out for a drink tonight? Me and some of the women in advising are going right after work?"

This was the tenth time a coworker asked Clara to do something social. She was getting sick of giving the same response.

"I'm going away for the weekend," she said. "I won't be back until late Sunday."

"You've worked here for six weeks and you've left town every single weekend. Stick around! Laramie isn't that boring," Natalie said.

"I went out with you for a drink last night, aren't you sick of me?" Clara smiled at her friend.

"You have a secret out-of-town boyfriend? Is he married? Is that why you won't bring him around?"

"Still single."

"You have some weird secret. That's the only reason I can think why you leave every weekend. One of these Friday's I'm going to park my car in front of your house and follow you."

"So now you want to stalk me?" Clara laughed. "I told you, I have family in the area and I go spend the weekends with them."

"Big city New Yorker moves to Wyoming and finds distant relatives? That doesn't make any sense."

"Maybe I found them and that's why I moved to Wyoming?"

"Yeah, I'd believe that if I wasn't one of the people who interviewed you. In fact, I think you stressed how you didn't have any family anywhere so relocating or being home sick wouldn't be a problem."

Clara walked behind Natalie and looked at the painting she was cleaning. Natalie was so slow and meticulous the sections that were complete looked breathtaking.

"You must have a steadier hand than a surgeon."

"Thanks." Natalie put down the brush and stood up. "It's closing time. Are you sure you won't blow off your 'family' for a few hours and come get a drink?"

"No can do," Clara said. "It's family bingo night. We play twenty-five cent cards. I love it."

Natalie burst out laughing and Clara joined in. They both grabbed their things and walked out to the front of the museum. The receptionist was locking up, ready to join them in starting their weekend. They all walked outside and Clara locked the doors. She waved goodbye to her coworkers and got in her car. She was sad she had to say no. Maybe she would talk to James and see if he would give her one weekend off per month.

When she pulled in her driveway, she wasn't surprised to see the truck waiting for her. She held up her hand to the driver letting them know she had to grab her bag. Clara opened the front door and flung the sitting backpack over her shoulder. She locked the door and ran over to the truck, crawling up into the front seat. It turned out the pack had several vehicles.

"Hi." Clara looked over to see James sitting in the driver's seat. "What are you doing here?"

After the first week it was normally another member who picked Clara up and dropped her off. They were all female. She had a feeling the rotations of drivers was intentional, forcing Clara to get to know different members.

"An Alpha can't be nice and pick up his wayward pack member?" James asked.

They started out of the driveway and down the road to the route Clara knew too well.

"So that's all you wanted? To be nice? I don't have to brace myself for any unsettling information or orders?" Clara had a feeling one was coming and she didn't want to hear it.

"Well actually..." James started.

Clara rolled her eyes.

"I wanted to talk to you about Lucas."

The name made Clara freeze. She felt her smile drop and goosebumps form on her arms.

"What about him?" Clara asked.

"He is going to be around this weekend," James said. "I told him to stay away from you, not to speak to you, or approach you. But I wanted to let you know, you might see him."

The last image Clara had of Lucas he was being dragged away screaming at her. She bit her lip, not knowing how to respond. Then anger came forward.

"Why do I have to be in the same area as my attacker?" Clara asked. "He assaulted me, receives no punishment. I should have called the police and had his ass thrown in prison for twenty-five to life!"

"I understand your anger..."

"Tell me how in the world you understand my anger?"

"Believe me when I say that Lucas has been...is being punished worse than you can imagine."

"If I can't handle seeing him...even from a far," Clara started.

"Let someone know and he will be removed," James said. "I'm not asking you to forgive him or forget what happened. I need you to trust me when I say I am trying to do what's best for the pack, and that includes you."

"I want a weekend off."

"No."

"You told me to befriend people, well I have and now they're confused why I have to go spend every single weekend with my family. I want a weekend of fun in Laramie. With my normal life."

"Clara, your life in Laramie is your temporary life. The weekends, that's your normal life. You belong with your pack. I hope you realize that. This situation, it's only temporary."

"What do you mean? That wasn't part of our arrangement."

"No, but I'm telling myself this is an adjustment period. Eventually you will get to know more members, feel comfortable, and move home. You can't do this forever."

"Why not?" It never occurred to Clara that her living in Laramie was temporary. She was much happier there than in the mountains.

"I don't want to argue," James said. "Let's try and stay in a good mood. Tell me about your job."

Clara knew he was trying to distract her and figured keeping her positive you lessen the terrible reaction she was going to have to seeing Lucas, but she started babbling away about the museum, happy to have someone to listen.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As always Clara made a beeline for her room. After the incident, as everyone preferred to call it, she was given a new one. It looked almost identically, only closer to the front of the lodge. She started to unpack her bag when someone knocked on her door. The handle started to jiggle, but Clara wasn't concerned. The perk of the new room was it came with a lock.

"Who is it?" Clara asked.

"Who do you think?" A voice sang back.

Clara walked over and flipped the deadbolt, then walked back over to the dresser.

"You're the only one who makes people knock, every other room we all go in and out of freely," Roxy said as she plopped down on the bed.

Clara didn't respond and kept unpacking.

"I mean, I understand why, but it's been almost two months. I don't think you have to worry about that asshole coming down here."

Most of the pack members went out of their way to avoid Clara, but not Roxy. Clara's first week back the beauty was moved into the room next door. She made it a point to come over and point out how she'd dumped Lucas when she found out what he had done. Clara didn't care then and she still didn't. As time went on Roxy seemed nice enough, but her initial encounter and Suzy's warning still left Clara with a poor opinion.

"Are you excited for the run tonight?" Roxy asked.

"As much as I am for every Friday run," Clara said.

"I'm excited, I'll wait for you and we can walk down together," Roxy said. "What are your plans the rest of the weekend? Do you want to hang out tomorrow?"

"I brought a few books with me I was hoping to read."

"Why don't you and I go swimming? It's going to get too cold soon. The lake will feel great in the sun."

Clara shrugged. Roxy let out a sigh and got up from the bed. She started helping Clara unpack.

"Why don't you want to be my friend?"

"Why do you want to be mine?" Clara fired back.

"I told you," Roxy said. "I couldn't stand to stay with Lucas one second longer after what he did to you. So when we broke up I lost my apartment and my standing in the pack, which resulted in a loss of friends too. You're new and don't know anyone, I'm starting over. It would make sense for us to have each other's backs."

Clara turned and looked at Roxy. Every weekend the woman tried to befriend her, but Clara was never anything but rude. She started to feel guilt. Outside of Suzy's warning there was no reason to think Roxy was up to anything.

"I'm sorry," Clara said. "I'm a little on edge. Maybe swimming would be nice."

"What has you on edge?"

"James told me Lucas will be around this weekend. That I might actually have to see him."

The look of concern dropped from Roxy's face. Her understanding eye's turned hard and her lips pursed into a scowl.

"That isn't very considerate of our Alpha."

Clara put away the last of her belongings and walked the bag to the closet. A hot hand wrapped around Clara's wrist and she jumped, not realizing Roxy was following her.

"I'll make sure he stays away from you," Roxy said. "And stay away from him. Don't make eye contact, don't let him touch you."

Clara ripped her arm out of Roxy's grasp. The woman closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them up her sweetness returned. She gave a warm smile and lightly touched Clara's shoulder.

"I mean us girls have to look out for each other right?"

"I guess..." Clara was beyond confused. A lump of fear started to form at the back of her throat. Was Lucas going to try and touch her again? She wanted to ask Roxy why she mentioned that, but before she could the black haired woman spoke again.

"I'll try and find you during the run tonight." Roxy walked out the door, closing it behind her.

Clara wondered what happened to them walking down together. She shook her head and glanced at the clock. Something was off with that woman, in fact, it seemed like something was off with everyone. Clara thought about James' earlier comments. This situation was only temporary. She hoped it went the other way though, where maybe James would give up on her joining full time and leave her to live out her days in peace.

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

"Brothers and Sisters tonight we celebrate our good fortunes." James' voice rang out over the field. Clara tried not to get swept up in his speeches, but it was almost impossible not to get drawn in.

"We have been blessed with much this past week. We continue to live in peace, we face no threats internal or external. Our pack members continue to express great strength and sound judgment. Including Joshua Francis, who this week broke his weightlifting record by fourteen pounds."

The crowd cheered. James went on about other member's accomplishments this week. Clara felt eyes on her. She looked away from the Alpha and glanced around the crowd. Standing about fifty feet behind her with at least ten people in between them was Lucas. His eyes were glued to her. She met his gaze and her heart started to race. She immediately dropped her head. The strange feeling worked its way through her body. She wasn't sure if it was fear at seeing him or not, but whatever it was it did not feel natural. Clara could feel his eyes on her, burning a hole in her skin. She started moving through the crowd as they let out another cheers, hoping to put more distance between the two of them.

"Tonight we run together, hunt together, and feast together!" James finished his speech and the pack exploded in howls of excitement.

As normal the group started ripping off their clothing in the middle of the field. Clara hated this part and didn't think she would ever get used to it. She glanced over her shoulder to see Lucas pulling his shirt over his head. His muscles looked photoshopped as they rippled in the moonlight. Clara looked away and felt her heart tighten. She didn't know where that thought came from. He was her attacker, he terrified her. She wanted him gone.

People starting shifting and Clara didn't want to get left behind. She stepped behind a tree and took her clothes off, before shifting as quickly as she could. Once in wolf form she trotted out and joined the members already running behind their Alpha.

Clara loved this part of being a wolf. The feeling of the moonlight on her run, the dash through the trees, it was indescribable bliss. Her head always felt like it was clear since her brain was much more interested in primal instinct. She had few goals that occupied all of her thoughts. There was no room to worry about work, her living situation, or the dangerous Beta.

The minutes turned to hours and the pack started to get smaller and smaller as members became preoccupied with other activities. Some started to play with each other, others wanted to run their personal favorite trails, and some wandered off to hook up with each other. Clara found that out the hard way on her first run, she kept following noises that ended up being pack members really enjoying each other's company.

Soon the Alpha decided he had enough of leading the run. He started biting a wolf on the neck, Clara was certain was Suzy. That was his signal he wanted to let off steam in another fashion. Suzy was quick to comply with his request and the two left the main trail. Clara saw them turn back into their human forms behind the tree line before jumping on each other.

It seemed like half the pack took turns hooking up with each other while the other half was strictly monogamous. Clara was the odd woman out who wasn't down to fuck or tied down in a serious relationship. She even saw Roxy hook up with a few different men over the last weeks, making it hard to believe she was hurting that bad from her breakup.

Clara decided it was time to shift back and began her run back towards her clothing. Out of nowhere another wolf jumped in her path. Clara locked her legs and slid, barely avoiding running into the other pack member. She didn't know who he was, but outside of a handful of people she didn't recognize anyone in their wolf form. The other wolf started coming towards her, but Clara had no plans on starting any random hook ups. She waited until he was inches from her face before pouncing forward and taking off at full speed. She heard a low growl and could feel him on her heels.

If wolves could laugh Clara would've let out a loud one. She wasn't much of a weightlifter or a fighter, but since joining here she exceled at running and much to her surprise enjoyed showing off. She slowed down a little, not wanting the chase to end yet. She felt the breath of the other wolf on her tail and kicked it up again. Pulling way in front of him. It was obvious the other wolf couldn't even compete with her. She had enough teasing him and decided to really give it all she had, pushing herself harder than she had before. Her speed was so intense she felt like she was flying through the woods, the whole forest becoming a blur.

When Clara finally slowed down and approached her stack of clothing she was not surprised her new friend was nowhere to be seen. Back in human form and dressed again she let herself smile. The little game of chase had been fun and part of her wanted to know who the other person was, in case they wanted to play again next time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lucas' heart raced. He promised his Alpha he would stay away from Clara, but he couldn't help himself. He was drawn to her. His conviction never stood a chance as soon as they shifted. He wanted to touch her, to fuck her, to claim what was his. The feelings were making a pit in his stomach. He was not that guy.

He knew her speed was impressive, but seeing her run like that was not what he was picturing. She was majestic and almost impossible to follow. The memory of her scented flooded his senses. He wanted to smell her, taste her. Images of her underneath him, writhing in pleasure flashed before his eyes. He could give that to her and so much more if she would let him.

Scared of where these thoughts might lead him Lucas wasted no time getting back to the lodge. He shifted back to his human form and not bothering to get dressed raced up the stairs to his apartment. He made a beeline for the bathroom and flipped on the shower, setting the temperature to cold.

He tried to calm down as the ice water ran over him. Images of Clara danced in front of him. Her pale blue eyes alive with wonder, her long blond hair draped around her head making her pale skin look like milk. He wanted to press his lips against hers, to run his hands over her body. The idea brought back the memory he tried so hard to bury the last few weeks.

Their first encounter. The electricity that flowed through him each time he touched her. The sparks that let him know she was meant for him. His mate. The sensations were like a phantom, almost making it impossible to tell if they were real or not. He needed to feel them again.

Lucas stepped out of the shower, not bothering to turn off the water. It did nothing to calm his mood or stifle his desire. He didn't need to look down to know that his erection was huge. He didn't want to satisfy himself, he wanted Clara to do it for him. The image of her pretty little mouth wrapped around him made his cock ache. She would do it too; he knew she would. After all she had to feel something when they touched.

He remembered chasing her tonight, the way she slowed down making him think he almost had her. She was teasing him. Lucas' mouth dropped open. She was teasing him! Maybe that's all this was, her way of being a tease. They were mates. She had to want him just as badly after all. A smile spread across his face. He ran to the door of his apartment, again not bothering to dress, he would go to her room and wait for her. When she returned the two of them would consummate their relationship. He was certain of it. When he pulled open the door his path was blocked. He stood shocked, not knowing what to say. Finally, he blurted the first thing that came to mind.