The Oathkeepers Ch. 12

Story Info
The Finale.
5.3k words
4.85
13k
15

Part 12 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello and thank you for your patience! Endings are always the hardest, but I think we got there. I enjoyed writing this world and consider this the ending 'for now.' I have been toying with some ideas for prequels and definitely sequels esp. featuring Iona, so that will likely be my next project when I have the time. Thank you so much for sticking around and all the notes (though some were quite impatient :) )

Fair warning that this last chapter is light on the sexy bits (which is why I had such a time finishing) but there just wasn't a place for them in the pace and mood I was going for.

~~

Zoe tugged Iona after her through the utilitarian cargo ship. She thought of it as HER ship after the days she and Aegis had spent on it together and her time learning to rewire it. She forced her eyes to avoid certain spots that held memories. A corner where Aegis had pinned her to the wall and fucked her. The little lounge where he'd laid her down and forced orgasm after orgasm from her with his urgent tongue. The cockpit where she'd crept up on him and took his cock into her mouth as he stared out into the endless stars. She supposed every inch of the ship actually held dangerous memories she couldn't dwell on now.

Coming to one of the small cabins, she tapped at the door, glancing down over to Iona and giving her a tight smile. "Come in," Keeper's muffled voice called through the door.

Zoe pushed open the door to find Keeper bent over the small desk in the corner of the room. His dark green wings twitched at his back, obscuring whatever he was doing at the table. Zoe paused for a moment, examining the old Oathkeeper. He was the oldest one she'd seen, though all the others had mostly been in passing. Or when she was surrounded by a myriad of them in the Oasis...but she'd been a bit distracted during the gala. The dark green wings looked frail and she wondered if he could still even fly with them. Keeper turned in his chair, his milky eyes blinking as he sent his mind questing.

"Ahh, the two humans. Perfect. We'll need to get ramp up your dosage to catch you up to your schedule, Zoe. How many days have you missed your pill so far?" he asked and Zoe noticed the desk was covered in several pill containers.

"I..." her original purpose in seeking him out forgotten for the moment, Zoe's hand flew to her stomach. She counted the days aboard the Silent Maiden. All but the last day and the day she and Iona had spent in flight she'd skipped the pills. "I think only two or three," she said, stepping toward him and beginning to rub her stomach on concern. "Will that hurt the baby?"

"No, it shouldn't. The hard work's already been done at this point," he gave her a sheepish smile. "The ongoing treatment now will be to help your body withstand the pregnancy."

"Withstand?" Zoe asked skeptically.

Keeper cocked his head. "Perhaps not the right choice of words. Weather the pregnancy. Endure it? I anticipate it being a bit harder on the fragile human body than a normal pregnancy. But you've already felt the effects of the treatment. Improved metabolism and recovery. All around increased efficiency. Of course, this is the first so, who knows? Perhaps your body will reject it still or collapse under the strain..." he shrugged.

Iona gave a little gasp beside her and Keeper's head jerked to the other woman like a snake. "And you, yes. We'll get you started on the first round to prepare for fertilization."

"What!?" Zoe and Iona both barked out.

Keeper sat back, his head cocking this way and that as he pondered their reactions. "I'd thought that's why you brought her, Zoe? And you seemed pleased with the attention from Wing and Scout earlier?" he finally asked, puzzlement wrinkling his already wrinkled face.

Zoe twitched and glanced to Iona. The familiar blush raced up Iona's cheeks, leaving her face red with embarrassment as she avoided Zoe's eyes. Zoe set her mouth in a hard line and looked back to Keeper. "She's not taking it if she doesn't want to. But yes, let's get me restarted."

Keeper frowned, but turned back to the little desk and deftly began dropping pills into one of the containers. "Of course. Aegis says she's a free human so she's a free human." He turned back to Zoe and thrust the little container to her. As she peered inside at the large white pills she felt Keeper's irritation needle at her. "You know about Aegis's mother I presume?" he asked softly.

Zoe's hand clenched around the container as she glanced back up to him. "I do, a bit. Yes." She furrowed her brow, trying to understand this strange turn in the conversation.

"Zenith. She was the great beauty of her time. Moreso even than her elder sister Dawn, Paragon and Bastion's mother. Zenith was the youngest of the Gilded that were left after the Glory. There were so many plans for how to utilize her bloodline to repopulate Gilded. Of course, we know none of those came to fruition. She fell in love with Scythe, general of all the Onyx, right hand of Zenith's father. It was a great scandal, as you can imagine."

Zoe swallowed. She didn't know why Keeper chose to tell her this story now, but she leaned toward him, dying to hear more. Beside her, she sensed Iona perking in curiosity as well. "Aegis called her Oathbreaker."

Keeper laughed. "Yes, they did call her that, a last-ditch attempt to try to force her to accept some of their breeding plans. At the time, there were several Gilded males that were itching to put a baby in her belly. Anything to produce another Gilded female."

"What Oath was it she broke?"

"Oh, who knows? Gilded were always so secretive. I imagine something about keeping our bloodline pure. Ensuring Gilded rules the stars for eternity."

"Eternity is a long time," Iona finally spoke up. Zoe was surprised to find Iona dropping onto the narrow bunk against the wall, apparently getting comfortable to hear a story from Keeper. Zoe found herself dropping down next to her and waiting for Keeper to go on.

"It is a long time, too long. Paragon knew this." Keeper trailed off, his faded eyes staring at something from his past. After several long moments he blinked, shaking himself to the present. "You understand how we're born? How only a Gilded female can bear Gilded or Onyx?"

Zoe nodded.

"It's the trick of our biology. Only one child can be born to a single pairing. And even then it's not guaranteed that if Gilded mates with Gilded that they'll produce another Gilded, they could have the bad luck of having an Onyx or even a Bronze. Such is how Bastion was born. Dawn had several other children with the remaining Gilded males after the Glory, but as you know, no other Gilded were born." He chuckled. "Zenith thought it hilarious. She called it their curse and became even more steadfast in her refusal to mate with another Gilded, like her sister. She turned to the Onyx Scythe to keep her other suitors from her and that is when they fell in love, and then Aegis was born. The last child of a Gilded female."

Zoe blinked, trying to imagine the world of these ancient people. It seemed so ridiculous. Only one child could be born to a set of parents. Ever? She realized she still rubbed at her belly. "So that's why you need us. Paragon thought to create a new...what? More flexible race?" She laughed bitterly.

"Essentially. Though, when I first began my research, when Paragon was still quite young, I was initially trying to create a therapy for our own people. Of course," he again chuckled, thoroughly enjoying his rapt audience. "When Paragon found out he threw me in the dungeons for weeks. He said Oathkeepers were perfect and that it was a sin to meddle. You can imagine my surprise when he arrived one day with questions about this species he'd been studying on a little planet across the galaxy. From there...you can fill in the rest." He grinned and Zoe wanted to smack the smug smile from his face.

"So it was wrong to toy with Oathkeeper DNA but not mine? Not humans?" she grated out.

Keeper shrugged. "You were little more than animals. Tied to your own tiny planet and solar system still. Think of it as a gift, we're helping your evolution along. Essentially."

"Zenith was right. You all deserved to go extinct. You can't even see how twisted and selfish you are."

To her surprise, Keeper again shrugged. "Perhaps. But you're living proof that my work is a success. When your little golden child--"

"The child could be Aegis's. I hope Gilded is gone forever," she snapped. She wondered, could she love it if it was indeed Paragon's? The extent of his callousness shook her. But the child in her was half her own blood. And technically related to Aegis through his and Paragon's mothers. She shook her head. Keeper had distracted her. There wasn't time for this.

~~

Aegis snapped closed his gauntlet and glanced out the viewport. The lead ship in Bastion's fleet was growing larger. Closer and closer he sped. He'd already hailed them, though they thought this still just Scout and Wing on their scouting mission. When he boarded in his full battle armor, they would know what he'd come for. He could only guess as to how Bastion would treat him. If he were truly as depraved as Zoe thought, he'd have Aegis killed as soon as he boarded the ship. But Onyx honor was a force of nature itself. He couldn't imagine all his brothers turning on the oaths of thousands of years.

And yet...the vision of Bastion with Paragon's golden head in his hands left Aegis nauseated. Bastion had already turned against his brother. Would the rest of Onyx go with him? The formal challenge of one Onyx against another. That was sacred.

Aegis guided the scouting ship into the cruiser's docking web.

~

Stepping from his sleek ship onto the flight deck, Aegis felt the ripple of surprise from the scurrying Oathkeepers that filled the space. Most were Garnets with a Sapphire engineers scattered about. He swept his eyes over the group and like when he'd met Beam and her Ivory crew, sensed their excitement at seeing him. As Wing and Scout promised, the lower colors hoped he was their chance at avoiding war.

The largest Garnet shook away the surprise and stepped forward. Wariness mixed with anticipation as he eyed Aegis. "Warden Aegis. Bastion has put a price on your head."

"I know. You'll take me to him now." The Garnet glanced to the others that dotted the deck and their wings began to twitch as murmurs rose up within the group.

Suddenly, a claxon sounded and several Onyx swept onto the deck. They wore their full battle armor like Aegis and clutched at swords as they moved to circle Aegis.

"I've come to challenge Bastion." Aegis let his voice rumble softly in warning to his Onyx brothers.

The lead Onyx, Glave, pursed his lips as he straightened his back. "He knows."

Aegis's heart dropped as his Oathkeeper brothers closed in around him. It wasn't supposed to be this way. They should have let him pass. The ageless Onyx challenge couldn't be denied. And yet, they did. They'd fallen so low. He considered for a moment trying to fight. But the strength had left his limbs. He felt only a hopeless sadness and disappointment in his brothers.

He let his sword be tugged from his fingers. Cuffs were snapped on his wrists. A collar clipped around his neck. He watched this all in defeat. He could not fight his brothers. He lifted his eyes from the empty Onyx around him to find the other colors that crowded the deck looking on. Expressions ranging from horror to disbelief and anger sparked across the Sapphire and Garnet and rare Emerald eyes. They'd hoped he came to fight for them. They didn't know the battle was already lost. Lost the day Paragon died.

Despair sat like curdled milk within Aegis's stomach as he was dragged from the hanger bay. Through the gleaming halls of the largest warship in Paragon's fleet. Bastion's fleet now. He knew the path they followed. He knew these ships like his own hand. How many centuries had he spent putting down little rebellions on their outer planets? Keeping the border between their worlds and the humans that pushed towards them like a swarm of locusts?

Glave swiped at the bio-reader at the largest arching doorway and the door slid silently open, revealing Bastion's command deck. It gaped obscenely in front of them and down the long hall full of dark eyed Onyx, Bastion stood. In all his glory. Aegis stumbled and was forced forward by hardened hands as he took in Bastion. His cousin wore gold. It seemed a perversion. The taboo of wearing another color but your own crawled across Aegis's skin as he took in the gold cloaked Bastion. He looked to his brothers around him. They avoided his eyes. Avoided looking at Bastion as well. He knew they felt the same revulsion, but chose to ignore it. Dotted at the edges of the command deck were technicians and pilots and navigators of every color. They eyed him as if hostages hoping for rescue.

"Aegis," Bastion's voice boomed across the space. "I've missed you." Bastion grinned. His considerable bulk took up too much space and Aegis straightened his back, letting his wings flex behind him. Bastion might be large, but Aegis still held the spot of First Warden.

"I've come to challenge for you," Aegis said as he came to a stop in front of Bastion. Glave and the other Onyx stepped back and the deck fell quiet as the Oathkeepers watched the exchange.

Bastion laughed. "I have nothing to prove to you, cousin. The day I defeated Paragon you chose to flee, your greedy eyes only for Paragon's human." Bastion cocked his head. "Where is she, by the way?"

"She is Paragon's will and his last command was to keep her from your traitorous hands."

Bastion surprised him by laughing again. A cruel smile spread across his dark face as he watched Aegis. Then he nodded at one of the Sapphire technicians. Suddenly the display port behind Bastion brightened and Aegis's heart plummeted into his feet. Zoe's transport ship approached Bastion's fleet.

"Paragon's human wishes to speak with me. What do you think she has to say Aegis? Do you think she offers herself to the rightful leader of the Oathkeepers? I remember her warm little mouth. It seems Paragon trained her well. She craves subjugation."

Fury rose in Aegis and he lunged at Bastion. But the shackles on his limbs were viciously jerked back. The collar on his neck buzzed, sending a shock like lightning through his body and sending him crumpling to the floor. He twitched, unable to control his spasming body as the electricity coursed from the collar. Distantly he heard Bastion laugh again as he stepped forward. A hardened boot smashed into Aegis's face and black rose in his vision.

As he lay writhing, his mind screamed. Terror and anger and every emotion in between warred within him as he tried to rise, as the blood streamed from his nose and Bastion's gleeful, rumbling laugh filled the command deck.

~

"This is the worst idea of all the ideas that were ever idea-ed in this universe," Scout warned. For the millionth time.

Zoe spared him what she hoped was a scathing glance. "You can stay on the ship if you're scared."

Beside her, Wing snorted a laugh. His face was set in a grim line as he watched the last of the docking sequence run on the hatch. Through the narrow window Zoe could see only black. She imagined a dozen Onyx waited for them on Bastion's ship.

Iona's sweaty hand gripped hers and Zoe felt her anxiety like the prickling of your foot when you sit too long in one position. "Are you sure you can do this?" Zoe asked her again.

"You're right. It's the only way." Iona's sparkling green eyes flicked to Wing and Scout who flanked her. Zoe'd noticed the strangely protective way they now looked at her friend. Was that how Aegis looked at her? They hovered near Iona, always a part of their attention was on the little redhaired human that had tumbled into their world. Zoe's plan crystallized further in her mind as she watched the Ivory and Turquoise aliens.

Keeper coughed loudly, his frail form was supported by a put-out Scout as the little group waited for the hatch to open. "And you Keeper? You're up for this?" Zoe asked.

The old Emerald grumbled and waved a hand at her as clutched the little case of vials in his hands. He was even less happy than Scout with the plan, but Zoe hadn't really given him a choice.

The hatch hissed open and an Onyx stepped into view. His dark eyes ran over this strange little group, falling on Zoe eventually. She raised her chin, meeting his black eyes as her hands slid mechanically to her belly. "I have a message for Bastion," she said.

The Onyx's eyes ran up and down her, flicking to Iona before finally nodding. "He'd hear your message."

They followed the large Onyx into the wide hallway. Zoe gripped Iona's hand as they stepped into the gleaming warship. It was much like Paragon's palace. Arching white, echoing halls. Oathkeepers of every color dotted the halls, but overhwhelmingly there were Onyx. More Onyx than Zoe had ever seen. All Aegis's brothers. They were all less substantial than Zoe's Onyx though. Their eyes were curious as they closed around Zoe's little group to escort them to Bastion. Zoe felt her fear mingling with Iona's. But she remembered Aegis's lessons and so hardened her mind against it. She took the fear and gripped it like it was Iona's hand, mastering it and locking it away within herself. She wondered if her unborn child felt her fear. Keeper had said any strong emotions might agitate the fetus... 'It's all right, I won't let anything happen to you,' Zoe reassured her baby.

When they finally entered the long command deck, Zoe felt Aegis instantly. Pain and defiance radiated from his ebony form as he lay twitching on the floor at Bastion's feet. Fury rose in Zoe as she picked up the pace. Bastion grinned as his eyes fell on her. And, like she'd known they would, he zeroed in on Iona. Lovely, tempting Iona.

"What's this you've brought me? A gift?" he said loudly as he stepped forward, Aegis apparently forgotten.

"Warleader, I come to share Paragon's will." Zoe was surprised at the command in her voice. There was no trembling, no fear.

"Have you? And is that it?" he gestured to Iona.

"Partially," Zoe let a timid smile pull at her lips. "Keeper," she ordered. The old Emerald cleared his throat and Scout helped him stepp forward. Bastion's eyes narrowed as he looked over the old Oathkeeper, disinterest beginning to course through him.

"What does Paragon's human expert have to say?" Bastion snapped.

"He carries Paragon's last gift to you Bastion. To all Oathkeepers," Zoe let her voice rise and sensed the peaked interest of the varied colors around her. She pressed her hands to her stomach again. "Would you like to be the father of a new race Bastion?"

And as she'd known they would, Bastion's greedy eyes widened. Hunger rippled through him. "Yes," he whispered.

Zoe set her hand on Keeper's shoulder and the old Oathkeeper cleared his throat. "Zoe here is the first human to carry an Oathkeeper child. It was Paragon's will. This other--" he motioned vaguely in the direction of Iona, "--will be the second. I have given her the first dose that will prepare her body to allow for the creation of a human-Oathkeeper hybrid."

All down the length of the command deck there were exclamations as the listening Oathkeepers leaned forward for a look at the two humans. Zoe clutched Iona's hand, willing the strength within her to flow into her terrified friend. On the floor behind Bastion, Aegis blinked slowly as he regained consciousness. Zoe found his eyes. She would always find them. Black and violet pierced her and she sensed his rage at her disobedience, at Bastion's treatment.

Bastion crossed the short distance between them and loomed again above Zoe. She felt a moment of panic as she remembered the last time he'd stood over her, but she pushed it down. His dark eyes ran eagerly over Zoe, studying her stomach and then moving to Iona like a bear that smells something delicious. "It's true?" he asked and dropped a hand to Zoe's stomach.

12