The Officer's Temptation Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is anyone injured?" called Whitmore, finally starting into action as Marlowe pulled Kate up into his arms and Nicholas grabbed Arabella, whose cheeks were ruddy and stained with tears.

"Are you injured?" Marlowe pressed his hands over Kate's body, but there was no sign of blood besides a scratch down her arm. She collapsed into him, shaking.

"I... I don't think so," she said. "That bloody viper!" A slight tremor in her voice betrayed her fear.

"Thank God you are unharmed," he whispered, pulling her tight. She felt too cold in his arms and her freckles stood out starkly against her pale skin.

"Find a carriage," Nicholas said urgently to Whitmore. "We need to leave." Arabella was shaking beside him. She looked ill.

"I didn't mean to," she said, over and over again. The doctor was hurrying over to her, though Marlowe suspected she suffered from nothing worse than shock.

He caught Nicholas's eye. "I'm taking Miss Jennings home. We'll ride."

Nicholas nodded curtly.

With his hand around Kate's waist, Marlowe walked with her to the grove of trees where the horses waited. His body felt odd, light with relief and queasy from sleeplessness and nerves. Kate touched his face, studying him seriously. "I was so worried, Marlowe. I had to come."

He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it gently, brushing his lips over her bare knuckles. "I suppose I should have expected no less. You are an incredible woman."

The heat between them seemed to grow. He found himself leaning towards her, paying no heed to the fact that they were in public in the daylight, that they had just participated in an illegal activity. He drew her to him, pulling the curve of her body against his. His lips closed on hers. Her mouth was full and sweet and tender against his own.

"You may have saved my life, you know."

She gave him a wry smile though her face was still pale from shock. "I suppose that you could say that I served as your second after all?"

12