The Original Valentine

Story Info
Love and lust in Ireland, a Greek woman finds her valentine.
8.6k words
4.6
8.7k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Authors note: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

I am submitting this as part of the Valentine's Day Story Contest 2024.

Original Valentine

"It's raining."

"I know Arsenios, it's Ireland. That's why I bought the rain gear."

"It's cold. It's raining and it's cold" Arsenios continued to grouse.

His wife, Kyriaki, turned her face away, rolling her eyes heavenward. He had a point, the weather was foul, a bitter breeze and dreary continuous shower of rain making Dublin a world away from their home in Athen's. That had been the point though, Kyriaki had wanted something different for this weekend away, something neither of them had done before. This island on the edge of Europe had seemed ideal when she had booked the weekend away for them, even Arsenios hadn't grumbled too much at her choice. Until the cold bite of February weather in Ireland had gnawed into their Aegean flesh that was.

Kyriaki kept her back turned on her complaining husband while she snapped off some photo's of Dublin main thoroughfare, O'Connell Street. They, along with several other people gathered beneath a statue to Daniel O'Connell, were waiting on their guide to arrive. She had prebooked a walking tour for them to enjoy on their first day in the capital and whilst she was looking forward to exploring the streets and sights, Arsenios continued to moan about the weather.

"For God's sake, stop whining" Kyriaki finally snapped at him. They were speaking in Greek but no doubt the other tourists waiting with them understood her sharp tone and the way it silenced the man beside her.

"It's Valentine's weekend. It's almost ten years now that we've been married" Kyriaki said softening her voice, "Can't we enjoy it? No fighting, just a little fun? Please?"

It was the 'please' that appeared to mollify her stiff-necked husband. Arsenios wasn't a bad guy or a poor husband, but he did suffer from a lot of pride. She had been born on the island of Crete, almost thirty-five years before. Her family hadn't been wealthy, but they had instilled a focus in their daughter that promoted hard work and a positive attitude. This had led her to leave home at eighteen to study in Athens. That was where she had met her husband to be, both attending the same University, he just a year ahead of her.

Arsenios hailed from Drama, a city of Macedonia, his upbringing and values different from his wife, a greater focus on their orthodox religion being the paramount difference. After they had graduated, Arsenious had used his business degree to start what he foresaw as an entertainment empire, nightclubs, bars, music venues. Kyriaki had instead taken a job in a ceramics factory as a junior manager, her passion and drive making her the operating manager before she was thirty and a vice president in the company, multiple factories across a number of industries, just three years later.

While her career had soared, Arsenios's had plummeted, his empire consisting of a single small bar and a café. His pride had taken a knock from this although to hear him talk, it was he who was the business genius in their family, not Kyriaki. So he took her 'please' and then deigned to give her a single nod of agreement.

Argument disarmed; Kyriaki looked about her in the hopes their guide would arrive soon. Both she and her husband had pulled on protective rain jackets and waterproof trousers over their clothes, so the drizzling rain wasn't an issue. A bit of walking would alleviate the cold as well. All that was needed at this point was for their guide to show up.

On cue but still five minutes late, a young man appeared, a golf umbrella angled over one shoulder to keep the worst of the weather from hitting him. He had wavy brown hair, blue eyes and a boyish face that seemed genetically disposed to be always smiling and good humoured. He was tall and lean, side-stepping puddles with practiced grace as he approached the dozen tourists waiting on his arrival.

"Cead Mile failte" he said in a bright voice, his voice carrying to them all. "That's Gaelic for a hundred thousand welcomes. I'd also like to add a hundred thousand apologies for my lateness and the weather. Only one of those being my fault."

His cheery nature instantly disarmed the tourists, Kyriaki included, and his smile was answered by eleven others. Arsenios the only hold out.

"My name is Eoin, that E O I N, but pronounced like Owen. Leave it to the Irish to complicate something as simple as a four-letter name, eh? Now I think I have you all but let me just check." Eoin began to read through a list on his phone, calling out the names and the corresponding tourist would then identify themselves. There was a couple from Japan, a group of four from Italy, two middle-aged women from the US, and elderly couple from Scotland. Then Eoin reached the final two names on the list.

"Kyriaki Pantelaki and Arsenios Latridis... did I get that right?"

"Yes! Very good" Kyriaki gave a little hand clap, excited now to be starting.

"Excellent" Eoin flashed her a friendly smile, "I'll keep it easy for myself if you don't mind. How does Kiki and Arse... Arsenios sound?" The young man coloured as he realized how close he had come to an unintentional insult. Luckily the others in the group didn't catch his words. Unluckily Arsenios did. He began stepping forward, his face as dark and thunderous as the rolling black clouds that littered the sky above him. Kyriaki put a restraining hand against his chest.

"No. It was an accident, let it go" she whispered furiously in Greek. Arsenios didn't reply, he just turned on his heel to take up a place at the very back of the group. With a long-suffering sigh, Kyriaki went to join him. They followed Eoin as he led them across the bridge spanning the river Liffey, following him towards their first stop which was Trinity College. Kyriaki allowed herself a smile as her husband trudged ahead of her. The young man had not only stumbled upon an insulting way to phrase her husbands name, he had also found the accepted short form of her own name, 'Kiki'. Between her husband's rigidity and her own professional profile in the company she worked for, it had been a long time since anyone had called her that. She found she liked it. Kiki.

<<0>>

Eoin brought them into the century's old college, the tour group visiting the Long Library and viewing the Book of Kells. Inside, she had been able to move more towards the centre of the group, asking questions of Eoin who, despite being barely twenty in years, seemed well informed. Her husband, irritated by the weather and the tour, continued to sulk at the back of the group, offering occasional disparaging comments about the sights, comparing them unfavourably to Paris, Rome, London and of course Athens. Kiki chose to ignore him, it was easier than picking a fight and god knows she'd had enough of them.

After that, they went towards Merrion Square, seeing the outside of Georgian homes once owned by WB Yeats and Oscar Wilde. They passed the park where a statue of Wilde reclining on a large rock stood. Then it was on again, another park area called St Stephen's Green, past Dublin Castle and on to Christ Church Cathedral. Here at least Arsenios seemed interested, viewing the Gothic/Romanesque structure keenly, even going so far as to ask Eoin a question regarding an aspect of its notable burials. The group then swung back along the river Liffey, crossing the two-hundred-year-old Ha'penny bridge before Eoin led them towards the final stop of the walking tour.

"No doubt your ears are as worn out listening as my throat is from talking" Eoin said in his friendly patter. "Good news is at hand; we are nearing our final stop where we can get some drinks as part of the tour and where I will bid you farewell and good luck for the rest of your stay here."

Arsenios looked pleased that the tour was over, Kiki however wasn't, she'd enjoyed the leisurely walk, despite the inclement weather. It had been nice to be out and about with someone who knew the history and geography of a place. In the past, she had always been intent of exploring for herself, but Eoin's smooth style had given her food for thought regarding future trips abroad.

"So, this building was constructed at the beginning of the eighteenth century. In its time it has seen the marriage of Arthur Guinness... the genius behind Irelands biggest claim to fame." Eoin paused as the group laughed in appreciation. "It also saw the baptisms of Irish playwright Sean O'Casey, revolutionary Theobald Wolfe Tone. George Frederick Handel, composer of many opera's but probably best known for his oratorios 'Messiah', lived nearby and was a regular visitor as he composed on the beautiful organ inside. Known originally as St Mary's Church of Ireland, since its conversion to a Café Bar, it's simply known as 'The Church'." Eoin led them towards the building indicated, Kiki following until she realized Arsenios was not. She turned around to find him standing stock still.

"What's wrong?" She walked back to join her husband.

"Enough. Okay? Enough. I've come to this icicle on the edge of the Atlantic. I've done the tourist trap tour. Enough. I am going back to the hotel."

"What? Come on. Come inside at least for a drink. Let's warm up before going back" Kiki said trying to reason with him.

"No."

"No? That's it? No? Arsenios, please. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I planned this whole trip for us. Please. One drink. Please."

"No. Bad enough you picked this destination. That you picked this walking tour with that... boy, leading it. But turning a place of worship into a bar. No. We can have a drink at the hotel if you want but I am not going in there." Arsenios folded his arms in a dramatic fashion that was spoiled by the high-pitched squeak of the sleeves of his raincoat rubbing together. Kiki took a calming breath.

"Arsenios, I'm going for a drink. In that bar. I want to experience it, I'm tired of everything being a discussion, an argument. I just want to have fun. Like in college. When we met. Please. Can't you do that for me? For one weekend?"

"Kyriaki, I am going back to the hotel. With you or without you. That's all I have to say."

"Fine. Then it's without me. Go back, take a shower, have a nap. You might want to act like an old man, but I am not playing the part of an old woman. I'll see you later. Maybe." Kiki spun around, storming off after the now disappeared tourist group. Her husband watched her departure, his lips drawn tight together in disapproval. After a minute of standing there, waiting for her to come to her senses, he headed back, vaguely aware of the right direction back to their hotel.

Kiki walked through the front doors of The Church bar, the hubbub of noise and thronged tables disorientating her for a moment, stepping in from the cold outside. She looked left and right, trying to spot someone from the group but she couldn't make out anyone.

Arsenios had left her alone, the evening before Valentine's Day. She was cold, wet, in a strange country and suddenly feeling very alone. Moreover, as she stood dripping in the doorway of the bar, Kiki felt very self-conscious of her appearance. The bright yellow rain jacket with matching trousers had seemed fine when she was walking outside, now though she was feeling like she was the butt of some cosmic joke. Time to leave, follow after Arsenios.

"Kiki... over here." She turned at the sound of her name, seeing Eoin waving at her from the midst of a crowd. Still, she hesitated, gloomy thoughts prompting her to leave. Seeing that she wasn't making her way into the bar, Eoin took it upon himself to dive into the crowd, wading through people to reappear by her side. He'd lost his umbrella and jacket, now in a short sleeved black shirt over jeans. His understated fashion made her feel worse still about her garish weather proofing choice.

"Hey. Where's your husband?" Eoin, his smile still dancing on his face rubbed his hands together, warming them up from the chill that had settled into them on the walk.

"He... he wasn't feeling good. About here" Kiki floundered over her explanation, tough enough to make excuses for her husband in her own tongue, much less in English.

"That's a shame. Well come on, follow me. On the bright side I guess that means you get his drink as well" with that, the young Irishman took her by the arm, leaving Kiki no choice but to follow him into the crowd.

The walking tour group had a reserved table, the even dozen of them crowded around it, eleven tourists and their Irish guide. Kiki had felt better once she'd pulled off her raingear, leaving it drip drying in a corner. She felt a hell of a lot better when Eoin pushed a pint of Guinness into her hand. He'd insisted everyone try the dark porter with its creamy white head. Kiki mused that the young man made an excellent salesman for his country and its culture, she wondered idly if he was studying or had studied business.

<<0>>

"Slainte" Eoin said, tapping his half-drunk pint against Kiki's in a toast.

"Yamas" Kiki replied. She had drunk her pint, then Arsenios's pint. Still cold, Eoin had suggested an Irish coffee, the warmth of which had spread through her, driving the chill from her bones with a pleasing afterglow. Finishing it, she had switched back to Guinness, already halfway through her third pint of the day.

She looked around to realize that the little group had drifted away, leaving just herself and Eoin at the table. A glance at her watch showed her that ninety minutes had flown by since she'd stepped into the bar, the other tourists already returning to the murky outdoors to continue their exploration of the city. Despite her own desire to see more of Dublin, Kiki was feeling too warm and comfortable to get moving. She noticed Eoin noticing her checking the time.

"Am I delaying you Eoin?"

"No, God no. That was my only tour today. Weather has everyone indoors. I was just thinking to ask you the same thing. Do you need to get back to your hotel? Do you know where you are from here?"

"Wait. Sorry, that was a little fast for me" Kiki said, "my English is good but, where I am from here? I don't follow."

"Sorry" Eoin said, grinning at her, "I just meant, do you know where your hotel is, in relation to where we are now?"

"Yes I think so but I am in no rush." Kiki leaned back in her chair, her dark eyes viewing the young man sitting opposite her contemplatively. Now that she was warm, dry and out of the rain gear, she was feeling more her usual confident self. She was aware that men found her attractive, her olive skin tone, dark brown eyes and almost midnight black hair betrayed her Greek birth. Her shapely, if voluptuous body, had made her a little self-conscious in her late teens but at her age Kiki had fully embraced her plus sized figure, confident in the knowledge that for the few who preferred a stick thin woman, there was a much larger majority who found a woman with curves more exciting.

Eoin was a good-looking young man, had Kiki been ten years younger and still single she'd have definitely been drawn to him. She wasn't sure if he was typical for his race but he certainly fit the stereotype of the friendly, open talker. During the first twenty minutes after she had arrived at the bar, Eoin had held court at the table, entertaining the group with anecdotes and stories about both himself, his city and his country. On reflection, the group had only begun to disperse when Kiki and Eoin had become more and more attentive of one another, unconsciously monopolizing each other's time as they drew together in conversation.

"Penny for them" Eoin's voice cut into her reverie.

"I'm sorry?"

"Penny for your thoughts... you seemed lost there for a minute" he clarified.

"Oh" Kiki hadn't realized she'd been distracted as long as she had, the Guinness was stronger than she'd given it credit. "I was just wondering how this compares to a typical Irish Pub. It's a lot different from those Irish Pubs we have in Greece."

Eoin laughed at that. He always seemed to be on the brink of bursting into laughter, this time he did step over the edge.

"No, this isn't typical at all, it's aimed more at people wanting a nice, if expensive, bite to eat. The bars in Greece, well if they are like the ones I saw in Spain, they aren't typical either, just stuffed full of cheap Irish memorabilia in an effort to draw in English speaking customers." He stopped for a moment, turning his face to regard the stained-glass church window above their table. The pitter patter of rain drops that had been striking the glass had stopped, finally.

"Umm, look it's stopped raining. If you'd like to actually see a bar, a proper one, I could take you if you'd like?"

"Eoin. Are you asking me out for a drink?"

"What? No, I mean, yes but like, to show, to share a bit of culture is all" he stammered in embarrassment. Now it was Kiki's turn to laugh, the younger man too easy to tease.

"Yes, lets go see a real Pub then, right?"

"Right" Eoin replied.

Since the rain had let up, Kiki didn't bother climbing back into her raingear, carrying the still damp clothing beneath her arm as she and Eoin walked quickly along, making the most of the break in the weather. He had his big umbrella up, using it to shield them both from the still gusting wind, meaning that Kiki had to keep close to him to take full advantage of the shelter the umbrella offered. This proximity seemed to make Eoin uncomfortable, her body, all 167cm's... 75kgs... 38-28-42 of it, hard to ignore when it was on your hip as it huddled close behind the umbrella. Kiki found herself bubbling with merriment, Arsenios forgotten for a time, as she enjoyed teasing Eoin.

With their fast pace, they reached the pub in less than five minute's walk, bundling through the doors and out of the wind.

"Howya Eoin" the bartender called out familiarly. The pub was almost empty. Only six customers scattered about its dark interior. The lights threw off a dim yellow glow, coupled with the overcast February evening, it lent a calm shadowed aspect to the room.

The dark wood of the furnishing, especially the long bar counter with its brass railings, seemed to drink in whatever light there was. For some people it might have given off an oppressive moody atmosphere, to Kiki it felt... snug, comfortable, lived in.

"Seamus, how's things with you?" Eoin replied, escorting Kiki to a couple of bar stools at one end of the bar. They climbed up on them, Eoin showing her hooks beneath the countertop where she could hang her raingear to dry.

"What'll it be?" Seamus asked, coming to stand in front of them.

"Seamus, Kiki, Kiki, this is Seamus. Be warned, everything that comes out of this man's mouth is either a compliment or a lie."

"Don't mind smart arse here" Seamus said, stretching across the bar to shake Kiki's hand. "College boy here thinks he's better than the rest of us is all."

"Thanks for the warning Seamus and nice to meet you" Kiki replied with a smile.

"Two pints then please" Eoin said, Seamus moving off to pull two pints of Guinness. "Cold?" Eoin asked as he saw Kiki rub at her arms. She was wearing jeans and a form fitting black sweater, good enough to keep warm in.

"It's more the damp, so wet here, feel like it soaked into my bones" Kiki replied.

"Only one cure for that" Eoin replied, lifting the pint that Seamus had set in front of him, "get yourself as wet inside as you are outside."