The Other World Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But you're right," continued Leonard, "if the FBI gets hold of me, I will disappear and never be heard from again... just like you almost were. They think I know more than I do... again, just like you when that dirtbag Walker went to work on you."

"You know more about that than is good for you." I said. "So, what is it they think you know that you don't?"

"The same thing you want to know." Lotz said. "Millwakee. What happened there. What they don't seem to realize is that I told you everything I know."

"Let me ask this." I said. "Did you ever see Dr. Yarborough after you left Millwakee?"

"No, never did." said Leonard.

"You said last time you had a lot of sex with several of the women staff as well as the female inmates, or patients, or whatever they were." I said. "Did you ever use a condom then?"

Leonard snorted a laugh. "That's funny. Hell no, everything was totally unprotected, and Yarborough wanted to see creampies. The only rubber in that fucking place was car tires and bath mats."

"And you don't remember ever being tested?" I asked. "No bloodwork? Nothing?"

"Not that I remember." said Lotz. "Just those women teachers, sucking my dick until I came in their mouths or their pussies."

"You said some girls escaped." I said. Lotz nodded. I said "Did any guys ever escape from there?"

Lotz grunted a laugh. "Why would we? We were getting our balls fucked off."

"I hear you, but just to confirm: only girls escaped, no boys that you know of?"

"Come to think of it," said Lotz, as if it was the first time he'd realized it himself, "you're right... only girls, no boys escaped while I was there."

"Were all the people there white?" I asked. "Or different ethnicities?"

"Almost all white." said Leonard. "No Blacks or Hispanics at all. There were a couple of Asian girls there; they were part of the smart set that were afraid of us, as I told you the last time."

"Did Yarborough have any other associates? Grad students that worked with you out there?"

"Maybe some of those women or men on the staff, but I got the feeling they were just hired to fuck, and weren't grad students."

"Was Yarborough married? Have any other relatives?"

"Not that I was aware of." said Lotz. "Now if there's nothing else, Commander... I'm sure you were followed here, and who knows who is on the way to betray you and take me in."

"I can assure you that if I do not wish to be followed, then it won't happen." I said. "So... do you want me to just let you go? Or take you back to the Asylum? I'm sure George Aurus will be happy to see you there."

"Yes, I heard you captured that little midget." said Lotz. "And no, I don't want to be anywhere near him. He's a sneaky fuck... I'm surprised you didn't get stabbed by him; he always carries a stiletto knife on his body somewhere."

Just then we heard a commotion. "STOP! POLICE!" I heard a female voice yell, and the sounds of someone running after someone.

"What the fuck?" Leonard asked, his head whirling around.

"Stay where you are, Leonard." I said, not moving. A moment later, the clattering stopped. Another moment later, Cindy Ross appeared.

"She got away, Goddammit." Cindy said, exasperated.

"Who?" asked Leonard. "That bitch that I just fucked?"

"No, Leonard." I said. "Someone else... and maybe someone who is your Guardian Angel more than you know. Okay, Leonard, you're on your own. Leave that prostitute alone, and get the hell out of my County. Get one of your Punk or Goth buddies to give you a ride to the City or to Southport, and make yourself disappear..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"She was wearing all black, like a ninja suit." Cindy said as we got in my Police SUV. "Full mask, too. Smallish, short and slender. And fast as hell; I didn't have a shot to catch her."

"How do you know it was a woman?" I asked.

"With the rack she had?" Cindy asked back. "Great set of tits, and not a bad ass, either. And I don't think a guy is going to wear a cumbersome bra just as a disguise."

"Flawlessly logical, Mr. Spock." I said.

"So you're letting Leonard go?" Cindy asked.

"Oh yeah." I said. "I got what I wanted from him, which was a few more questions. And it's a real dilemma... if I arrest him and take him in, he will be killed in jail, maybe before the FBI comes and gets him, which they would."

"If they catch him, and he tells them you let him go..." Cindy said.

"His word against ours." I said. "And they'll never catch him. He's stayed free this long since being let out of the Asylum, and Les Craig is just too fucking stupid to catch him."

"Unless Craig is playing all of us for fools." Cindy said.

"Which would be a mistake when angry young women with green crowbars are ready to beat his ass down."

"And in the Queen's name." Cindy replied. "So, that leads to my last question, that I never got to ask you earlier."

"Lieutenant Goodwin, Hendricks, Hatch." I said.

"Spot on." Cindy said.

"I will tell you this, just between you, me, and the Crowbars." I said. "I was not informed so that I would have 'plausible deniability', but Internal Affairs may not realize they are not dealing with an Agency of the Weak Minded. So they try to do an end-around with me, and have Hatch working with Hendricks on patrols. Now what is wrong with that picture?"

"Everything." Cindy said. "Hendricks is dirty, McCombs is dirty, Hatch is useless."

"Truly useless?" I asked. Cindy caught on.

"Ohhhhh." she said. "So Internal Affairs gets him to patrol with Hendricks and report back to them. He's their mole to try to get some dirt on Hendricks and McCombs. And they must be keeping tabs on Hendricks. They showed up when he and Hatch found Kevin's body."

"Yes. Great job!" I said. "They were on the north-south road making sure Hendricks wasn't lying about being on routine patrol. But I already know he was, because I have similar technology to what your father put into the Black Beauty, and I've been tracing where Hendricks goes for months now, and McCombs, too. They've really been keeping their noses clean, playing by the book. Like Sith Lords going dormant again."

"So Goodwin and I.A. did not tell you about having Hatch work with Hendricks and McCombs?" Cindy reiterated.

"No, they did not." I said. "And don't get pissed at Goodwin. That came down from Inspector General Horace S. Wellman, who is actually conducting this charade for the Sheriff. And the real reason is to evaluate Hatch. It wasn't a lie that the Sheriff's Department is ready to give that guy a blanket party; we are really, really lucky that the defense lawyers in this Town have not realized how badly he's handled some evidence at times. I think they're hoping he will do something dirty, and they can bust him, Hendricks and McCombs in one fell swoop."

"This isn't one of your sneaky plans, is it?" Cindy asked. I just looked over at her, then back at the road.

"I sincerely hope that I am not that incompetent," I said, "nor that you think I am."

"Er, no." Cindy said. "So... are you really going to fuck that whore?"

"Sure." I said. "You want some of her?"

"No." Cindy said. "I have higher standards than that." I lifted my eyebrows at that. "Then again, if your little crowbar is your way of recruiting a new C.I., or breaking a woman to your fist like you did Priya," Cindy continued, using falconry lingo, "then more power to you."

"Now that is Iron Crowbar thinking, my friend." I said with a grin. "Pun fully intended." Cindy burst out laughing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got the call that evening. "Sir," said J.R. Barnes, "we went through the State database like you asked, and we got a pretty close match for the partial print we got from that black crowbar in Kevin's ass."

"Let me guess." I asked. I mentioned a name. J.R. was used to me; he was not even stunned that I was right.

Part 18 - Race and Races

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the hot redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, March 6th. "Channel Two News has learned that the murder of a homosexual man in the County is being investigated by the FBI as a hate crime committed by racist whites!"

Bettina went on: "Kevin Greeley, the young owner of the clubs 'Pink' and 'Punk', was found dead early Sunday morning by the Town & County Police on a farm just east of the State Line. His body had been dragged behind a vehicle that the FBI says was a pickup truck, and this was done after Mr. Greeley was tortured and suffered tremendous injuries."

"FBI Special Agent in Charge Les Craig, working with the National Security division of the FBI, said that this is a classic case of a hate crime against blacks or homosexuals by white racist groups or individuals." Bettina continued. "Special Agent Craig suggests that all persons of minority groups and sexual orientations be alert and aware of one's surroundings at all times."

Bettina went on: "Town & County Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis has called upon the Sheriff and Police Chief to meet with him regarding the safety of Blacks in the Town & County and the need for additional Police protection of minorities. Mr. Lewis also stated that the reduction of Police precincts directly contributed to this hate crime. He and Malinda Adams issued a joint statement calling for the return of the three-precinct system."

"Celebrity rapper T-Square was reached for comment," said Bettina, "and he urged the Black Community to remain calm in the face of racism towards his people. T-Square called upon the Police Department and the FBI to work together to apprehend the racists that murdered Mr. Greeley."

"And in other news," said Bettina, "four of the six persons sickened by a bad batch of drugs at a nightclub Friday night have fully recovered and will be released from the Hospital today. Two young women, Lena Hill and Kate Noll, both University students, died of drug overdoses. Local Police have had no comment on the cases. A memorial service will be held on the University campus this afternoon."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Is that for real?" asked Jermaine Davis as we watched the news in MCD. "Hate crimes?"

"Have a seat at your desk, Jermaine. You too, Theo." I said, coming over with a chair and sitting near them at Jermaine's desk. Needless to say, every other Detective gathered around to listen.

"This is being made to look like a hate crime." I said. "The Media is certainly trying to gin it up as a looking like that. But there's some truth we know that the Public does not."

"First," I said "the murder of Kevin Greeley is just a bit too staged-looking. It is exactly what has happened in previous hate crimes in Texas and Montana. It looked to me at the scene as if someone had read reports of those crimes and wanted to re-create them."

"And maybe they were white racists reading about it and doing that?" asked Theo.

"Possibly." I said. "Except that the very man they decided to kill just had two people die at one of the clubs he owned. Coincidence?"

"Or someone angry at him for those drug deaths." said Theo. "Which means it's not a hate crime, but could still be done by whites who were friends of those that were injured or killed."

"And then we have one more thing." I said. "The FBI took over the case, citing it was a hate crime. Then they go and advertise it on TV. Now maybe Chief Griswold's next book will discuss this, but is that the way you'd go about handling this case? Do you think it's the way I would handle it?"

"So what do you think it is, Commander." said Jermaine Davis.

"I'd say the hate crime talk is a blind, a front wall, while the real motive of the crime is what's being worked on behind the scenes." I said.

"Stupid way for the FBI to be doing it, then, sir." said Theo. "Ratcheting up the racial tensions that are already there. That's really bad."

"Yes, it is." I said. "So why do you think Les Craig of the FBI is doing it the way he's doing it?"

"Because he's stupid!" I heard a voice yell. No, it wasn't Cindy. It was Joanne Warner. Everyone laughed.

"Well, that's a given." I replied. "But my point is just to make sure we know what is going on before giving ourselves to radical speculation. It may really be a hate crime, but I'm not ready to dismiss all other considerations, and also to realize the Press will gin up any story they can to make Blacks angry at Whites."

Have I mentioned that I have a deep, deep hatred of the Press?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching Priya's broadcast, a near-duplicate of Bettina's but without FBI Les Craig's statements, we turned to our Angels meeting. It was in the Main Conference Room, as I had extra guests. Lt. 'Coldiron' Masters was one of them. Lieutenant Curly Goodwin of Internal Affairs had also been asked to join us.

"The murder of Kevin Greeley is still a local crime of murder." I said. "And we are still investigating the double homicide at 'Punk'. So, Curly, tell us what is going on with Hendricks and Hatch."

"On this one," said Goodwin, "they were clean. They were on routine patrol and found the body. They've done that same route pretty much exactly every weekend early morning for weeks now, and McCombs and Hendricks were doing that route for a year. That'd be a lot of pre-planning, if you asked me."

"And they know you've been watching them?" I asked.

"Geez, sir, Hendricks has had us down his throat since that night Captain Croyle found that girl at the Saskia Warehouse." Teresa looked down as the memory of that night and of Amy came back to her. I just nodded.

"Now let me ask this." I said. "I know you didn't tell me everything that was going on, and that was because the Sheriff, Inspector General, and Police Chief asked you not to. But just know that I do know what's going on, and I have to ask... do you really think you're going to catch these bastards when they know you're watching them?"

"No sir, I don't." said Goodwin. "And that's fine by me, if they stay clean and do their jobs. If they fuck up, we'll be right there, and they know it."

"Well!" I said. "Captain Ross, I can hardly find anything to argue with in that logic. What do you think?"

"I think you are right, sir." said Cindy. "Only Captain Croyle can find something to argue about out of nothing at all." Masters and Goodwin chuckled. Teresa... did not.

"What do you have to say about that, Captain Croyle?" I asked, trying to start some trouble.

"Sir," Teresa said quietly, but in her 'sweet' voice, "if you'd just do me the one favor of setting those brackets up just right, I'll be ever so grateful." I could not prevent myself from breaking down laughing.

"You guys have too much fun." said Goodwin, who was still chuckling. "Sir, if you'll excuse me..." I excused him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Don," said Jack Muscone on the phone just minutes after the Angels meeting finished, "my boss is flying in to County Airport, and should touch down at 9:30. I'm making the mistake of telling you he'll be here at 9:30 and that you and Captain Ross should be here when he gets here, if you get my drift."

"Got it." I said. Cindy and I went over to the Federal Building. In the FBI offices there was Jack Muscone, Lindy Linares, and Martin Nash."

"Where's Sandra?" asked Cindy as we arrived and shook hands with everyone.

"She's flying in with my boss." said Jack. "Here's the story, Don. We know Les Craig took that hate crime case away from you guys. He's been going around telling people in our offices about it, laughing at you behind your backs about how he went in and broke you both down."

"Did he mention how he nearly got shot dead?" I asked. All of the FBI Agents' eyes widened in shock as I related what happened at the Duty Desk.

"So what you're telling me is," said Jack, "is that we should be having meetings in your office, because Craig can't barge in on them, because he can't get past the Duty Desk."

"Yep." I said. "And if you relay that story about us about to shoot him to the people in your offices, laughing at him behind his back, I'm sure it'll be fun for you."

"I think I'm glad I'm on your side." said Lindy Linares with a flirtatious grin at me.

"So am I." I said with a smile back. Then I let the smile vanish as I said, "Jack, the Town & County Police Department knows who murdered Kevin Greeley."

Silence was instantaneous.

I slid a jump drive and some reports across the table to him. "They made the horrible mistake of taunting me with some videotape of their crime. They made the mistake of showing enough of their faces to get some recognition software to work correctly on one of the partially masked faces. The State's fingerprint database was able to identify a partial print on the crowbar they shoved up Kevin's ass, to wave a red cape under my nose as if I'm some stupid bull in a bullfight. And now... the bastard is going to get the horns."

Jack was looking at the data as I said "This murderer is also the second man who assisted in the murder of Jeanine Burke. He also has a few... personal things to account for."

Jack read the name, and then looked up at me as he passed the data over to Lindy.

"Ferrell." Jack said.

"Richard Ferrell." I replied. "We have the proof, and will be issuing the APB as soon as this meeting is over."

Cindy was fiddling with her iPhone. "And this meeting is now over. The new one with the Deputy Director is about to start when he walks in the door in ten seconds." She pressed a button. "And, done. APB issued."

"What APB is that?" asked the DepDirector, coming in, followed by Sandra Speer. "Sorry to be late." he said. "I asked y'all here to discuss this hate crime case, and if it's related to White Roots or Superior Bloodlines."

"Neither, sir." said Muscone. He passed over the information. The DepDirector scanned it, then looked up at me.

"My God, Commander, how did you do this, and so fast?" he asked.

"I would say 'confidential informant', sir." I said. "But in truth, the bastards sent that to the Press, trying to bolster the image that this is a white supremacy group. But it's not, it's much deeper than that."

"Ferrell." said the DepDirector. "Any idea where he is?"

"Somewhere in the region, sir." I said. "He may stay across the State Line, but he's in the area. And he is bus-ted."

"And before Les Craig could turn around twice, sir." said Muscone.

"Yes, I heard about what happened at Police Headquarters." said the DepDirector. "Do be careful, Commander. He's still an FBI Agent, and while I back you up as much as I can, if you start a war with him, it'll be a war with half the FBI itself."

"With all due respect, Mr. Director," Cindy said, "it's not Commander Troy starting anything. It's Les Craig coming in with an arrogant attitude, and that's when he's not directly insulting us or putting tracking devices on our car. It's Les Craig trying to start a war, and people who start wars with the Iron Crowbar tend to regret it, half the FBI notwithstanding."

In an amazing display of patience, the Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation held his tongue, though he could not hide the fire blazing in his eyes. Then he exhaled.

"You're right, Captain." he said. "You are right. I can see that something is wrong, and it's not on your end---" His cellphone went off and he answered it.

"What is it, Craig?" he asked sharply. "An APB for Dick Ferrell? What about it?... well, the Town & County Police Force found the evidence and have presented it to me... Craig, mind your tone when speaking to me... Let me make one thing very clear, Craig. The TCPD has the evidence that Dick Ferrell was one of those that participated in the murder of this man... no, it's legit. And I'll be adding my own APB for a nationwide manhunt for Ferrell... how about Ten Most Wanted list?... No, you sit tight. I'll talk to you later, goodbye." The DepDirector hung up.