The Outback Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Neel looked pale as I leaned over him, grabbing onto the edges of the sign at either side of his shoulders.

I gripped it hard and pulled, surprised at the ease with which it slid over the muddy, wet ground. He moaned quietly as I bumped him over the rocks and stones, doing my best to keep the ride smooth.

After what seemed like an hour, I finally had him inside the toolshed, out of the wind and rain. I raced back to the house, grabbing towels and linen, the first aid kit and a phone.

Drying him as well as I could, I slipped a pillow under his head and dialled the Flying Doctor service. Well-practiced at managing remote emergencies, they talked me through it with a calm and reassuring voice.

The rescue wouldn't be able to come until the morning, as flying at night in the storm was too dangerous. She walked me through a systematic check of his whole body, trying to determine whether anything was damaged other than his legs.

Under her instruction, I cut away all of Neel's clothes, getting rid of the wet cloth and examining his body directly. He looked so fragile lying on the ground before me. My heart ached at his pain. I covered him with a blanket.

Thankfully, his legs appeared to be the only injuries, and both appeared to be broken below the knee. She reassured me this was much less life-threatening and that he would be ok if I kept him still and warm. His pulse felt strong, and his breathing didn't seem to be laboured. Aside from being in pain, he was alert and able to talk which was a relief.

The night passed at an agonising slow pace as I sat beside my injured friend. He slept fitfully, moaning with pain as he reflexively tried to move.

I rested a hand gently on his chest, feeling the need for contact. Neel reached up and laid his hand on mine, squeezing gently. His heartbeat drummed beneath my palm.

Finally, the dawn light crept over the horizon, the storm abating and the clouds clearing, as if nothing had happened. I looked out at our wild home, wondering how much had changed.

I searched the sky endlessly, knowing that it would take some time to fly across from Darwin. Finally, the whir of the engine signalled the arrival of the cavalry. I exhaled for what seemed like the first time all night.

Neel looked over at me, seeing my relief.

"They're here." Was all I said.

"You'd better go pack a bag for me." He said trying to muster a laugh. "I'm not walking around a hospital in one of those gaping gowns with no underwear on!"

I patted the pack beside me.

"Already done, mate." I reassured him.

The rescue team arrived with a kind efficiency, buzzing in and taking over, checking Neel out and giving him some much-needed pain relief.

He sucked on the green penthrane whistle, his eyes glazed a little as the medication took him away from the pain a little. The team lifted him onto the stretcher and then turned to me.

"You did a good job, by the looks." One of them said, giving me a friendly pat on the back. "But we can take it from here." They turned to start pushing the stretcher towards the chopper.

Neel craned his neck around to me, a look of fear in his eyes.

"Aren't you coming?" he asked.

I looked at the house for a moment, the decision already made in my head.

"Of course I am." I said. "Just give me one minute."

The medic nodded as I ran towards the house, grabbing the essentials, not sure when I'd be able to get back to the house. I threw on some dry clothes and raced back out, just as the engine was warming up again.

As we took off, the ground dropped out beneath us, our house getting smaller as it vanished in the distance. The Australian outback was amazing from the air. The deep red of the sandy soil contrasted brilliantly with the vibrant green of the sub-tropical bushland. A mob of kangaroos hopped by beneath us, as if giving us a farewell.

********

Two days later, I sat in Neel's hospital room, beside his bed. A noise had woken me from sleep. It had been a long few days, and I had still not caught up on rest.

He'd already been through surgery, pinning his broken legs back together and now lay waiting for a rehab bed to transfer to. I was staying in a nearby hostel, not sure what my next plans were. I was essentially homeless, with no way to return to the house for at least another month. My research was ok, since I'd collected all the data, so at least I was still drawing a wage.

I looked up at the door as Neel's parents walked back in. They'd arrived the previous night, having flown up from Sydney to be with their son.

His mum gave me a tight smile, while his dad ignored me altogether.

Taking my cue, I got up to leave. Neel looked at me, seeing my intention.

"Hey, can you just grab me a sandwich from the cafeteria? The lunch they brought me was already cold and congealed, and I really just couldn't eat it!"

"Yeah, no problem." I said, heading for the door. "I could do with a coffee anyway. Anyone else want anything?"

"No thanks, love." Neel's mum said as she grabbed Neel's hand. His dad shook his head without looking up.

I walked out, rolling my eyes. They hadn't exactly been welcoming to me, but I guess they were just worried about their son.

The cafeteria was quiet, and I was back within a few minutes. I could hear their voices as I approached and slowed down so as not to interrupt their conversation.

"I mean, what's he even doing here?" his mum's voice seemed exasperated. "It's nice that your work friend is looking out for you, but surely it's time for him to go home now."

"That's right." His father agreed with her. "It's strange that he's still hanging around. We can look after you now."

Neel sounded frustrated.

"We were living together for 2 months. Dean saved my life and sat with me all night waiting for the chopper. He's barely left me since I got to hospital. He's not just a workmate. He's important to me. If it seems strange to you, well, it's really none of your concern."

I hid the smile from my face as I walked back in, trying to look as though I hadn't heard their conversation. I walked over to give Neel his sandwich, and he grabbed me by the arm, pulling me down into a long, passionate kiss.

Surprised at first, I tensed, hearing the shocked gasp from his mother beside me. But tension quickly melted into pleasure, as I realised the message he was sending. This was more than just a fling born out of isolation. There was something worth exploring here.

I stood eventually, smiling to myself at the silence in the room.

"Well," I said cheerfully. "I guess you all have some things to talk about. I'll head off for now and come back in time for dinner."

Neel smiled, a grateful look in his eyes as he gripped my hand.

"I'll see you then, babe."

I walked from the hospital, with a slight skip in my step, the sun finally shining through the storm clouds above.

12