The Perils of Mandy Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Philippe, you and Vaux-le-Vicomte are just full of surprises."

They re-entered the mansion, walking and looking around at the opulence in the flickering light from hundreds of candles. Reflections accented the gilt, while shadows deepened the maroon of furnishings and decor. When they emerged, darkness had settled in, but candlelight was also enhancing the already magical effect of the grounds. Philippe guided her over to the "restaurant." He produced two tickets, and an elegantly-attired hostess escorted them to a table. Other diners were also being seated, and although Mandy had chosen what she considered a semi-formal outfit, she suddenly felt under-dressed, which she whispered to Philippe in his tasteful jacket with small insignia over one pocket.

"No concern is necessary. You are the most lovely woman here tonight," he responded, with one of his full eye-wrinkling smiles. "Many of the others will always be peasants in comparison, no matter how elegantly attired." She felt something in her chest jump a little at the compliment, even as it put her at ease. An older man at an adjacent table added to the feeling of security when their eyes met and he smiled with a subtle nod of the head and lift of his glass as if toasting her.

A white-gloved waiter appeared with menus and filled their crystal glasses with champagne.

Equanimity changed to shock when she looked at the prices on the menus. Seafood, meat, and vegetarian dishes were all priced around 76€.

"Philippe, this is outrageous," she whispered, hoping people at the neighboring table would not hear. "I can't afford this, and I can't expect you to treat me again."

"Are all members of the American nobility so independent and conservative in their spending?" he asked. "I would be pleased if you did not concern yourself with the cost of the dinner. I am adequately compensated for my services to the Institut."

"I happen to know you're on a fellowship, same as me. Your administrative stipend for the week has already been pared and will probably be eaten away completely with this dinner. I insist that I will pay you back, but it can't be right away."

He continued to smile at her. "Amanda, you have already compensated me more than enough with your presence. Please, just enjoy what is to come."

Forcing herself to ignore the price and look at the offerings made her suddenly realize she was famished. She chose the "Sea" menu as it had the least unnerving cost-benefit ratio. How could anyone choose a $100 salad, she wondered.

While awaiting their meals, she gazed upon the candlelit garden and grounds around the chateau, and the flowing fountains, which Philippe said worked by gravity, the water piped from a distant impoundment since the time of Fouquet. She sipped her champagne and fell once more into a relaxed mood. The arrival of the marinated gambas prawn and sea bass ceviche appetizer reinforced Philippe's advice to just enjoy what might well be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so hang the cost. She gave him some ceviche and he shared his smoked foie gras glazed with mango. She reached over the small table and gripped the top of his hand. "Thank you," she mouthed. He smiled. "And I will pay you back," she whispered. He frowned. She smiled.

When her main course of cod steak poached in cockle jus, sweet potato in yuzu cream and mini-seared aubergine arrived, she was fully confirmed in her resolution to ignore prices the rest of the evening. She declined Philippe's offer to share his roast veal fillet with morel cream but did take a little of his Soisson bean velouté with crispy bacon. He declined her fish but sampled the rest of her dinner. They both enjoyed the same dessert of double-chocolate crunchy praline.

Following the meal, they visited the nearby champagne bar with its lounge chairs and classical music, but Mandy's penurious streak surfaced once more, and she insisted she did not want any more glasses of bubbly (at 20€). Philippe ordered one anyway and convinced her to sip occasionally while they awaited the evening finale, a display of fireworks.

They were joined by Jacques, an acquaintance of Philippe, who drove a tour bus, and the men conversed lightly in French. Philippe advised her they did not have to cut their night short and rush to meet limited late-night public transport as Jacques had offered unoccupied seats in the back of his coach for the return to Paris. That added to her feeling of luxury and ease.

"I should explain that I am not the spendthrift you may think," Philippe confided in a low voice as the bus was underway. "I contacted Jacques earlier to verify capacity, and as expected he extended an invitation for us to return with him. If we had joined the tour from Paris, rather than make our own arrangements, the company that owns his coach would have charged us, and our cost would have been an additional 200€."

Mandy wrapped her hands around his arm as she looked at him. "I'm sorry I'm so cheap, and this has been a wonderful experience. I am not ungrateful." She thought a moment, and added, "But please know that a large part of what made this day so great was my considerate, thoughtful companion, and it would have been just as enjoyable if we had packed a picnic lunch and gone on a hike in a forest."

He looked at her so tenderly that she thought he was certainly going to kiss her this time. It would have been the perfect opportunity, the back of the bus offering privacy. Instead, he reached across with his free hand and squeezed her hands that were still holding his arm. "I am so happy to have shared this day with such a beautiful, sensitive and sensible person," he said. "I hope we may have more such days, and if you wish I shall begin immediately planning something for tomorrow that requires trees and picnic baskets."

"I eagerly await those plans," she laughed. When he still did not move to kiss her, she leaned her head on his shoulder. She kept it there for a large part of the trip back, not that she was tired. It was just comfortable.

After dropping off his paying guests at their hotels, Jacques' route to the coach storage yard passed close to the Institut, and he dropped them off at a corner. After a short walk, hands entwined, Mandy and Philippe reached her residence hall.

"Shall we meet tomorrow morning, about 10 o'clock?" he asked. "And may I suggest less formal attire, with comfortable walking shoes?

She nodded, getting out her key and putting it in the lock. Their eyes held each other for a few seconds, then Mandy stood on tiptoes and gave him a full kiss on the lips before opening the door. Turning to look back as she went through it, she saw in the low light that delightful smile brightening his handsome face.

It was after midnight, but she felt light and energetic, passing up the elevator and almost bounding up the stairs to her third-floor room. Julie was not there, which she was grateful for since she did not feel like chitchat, just wanting to be alone with her thoughts and feelings. She kicked off her shoes, put away her nice dress, took a quick shower, wrapped the robe loosely around her, then went out to the balcony, where she propped her bare feet up on the rail and gazed out at the lights of the city. It was cooling down, so she adjusted the robe more tightly.

"I really do like him," she said aloud to herself. "And I think he likes me. Why doesn't he initiate the kiss?" There were good opportunities, on the bus and earlier by the statue of Hercules, she mused. He wouldn't be willing to spend all that money on her if he didn't feel something. Sister Sam said guys were always dropping huge sums on her and other women, hoping to get laid, and it always started with kissing. From the things Philippe said and the looks he gave her, she was sure there was something there. He certainly did not seem shy, and French men had such a reputation for romance. It was a mystery.

Speculation was intruded on by a slight feeling of guilt. She and John had discussed the possibility that new experiences and raging hormones could make either of them susceptible to romantic entanglements while they were apart, and they had given each other a pass. Had they also waived their no-blindside rule - to keep each other informed about developments with third parties? It probably was not important. Her time in Paris would be short-term, so anything that happened would be necessarily limited - not a threat to her relationship with John - but if she was at home, she would feel bound to talk to him about things. She had been keeping him in the loop anyway, right up to her current state of mind.

She almost wished now that Julie would come back. Not that they were close friends, but it might be helpful to have another woman to bounce her thoughts off. However, this was Saturday night. Julie probably had an engagement of her own somewhere with someone, and might not be back until the next day. Anyway, it was past time for her Saturday talk with John. She activated Skype and sat down in front of the monitor. His face soon appeared. He was smiling. And seemed to be clothed this time.

"Hi, baby. Good time to call," he told her. "Not that any other time isn't good to hear from you also."

"Hello, sweet thing. I have a lot to talk about with you tonight."

"I hope it's all clean," he said. "We have some company."

Three other faces appeared: Kay above John, with Daryl and Sam to either side. They screamed out greetings in tandem.

Mandy's hand went to her mouth, as she laughed, "Good to see you guys. Looks like a party going on there."

"Just an intimate little gathering," said Sam. "You're looking good, Sis, and real casual in that loose robe, showing some cleavage even. Have you found some guy to give you what John can't right now?" John kept smiling but looked a tad uncomfortable at that. Kay rolled her eyes, while Daryl laughed.

Mandy subconsciously tightened her robe, even while shaking her head. "Does a girl have to dress formally while Skyping her boyfriend?"

"So what can you tell us about your day," Kay asked. "Or do you want us to clear out while you talk with John?"

"No," Mandy said slowly. "I have nothing that can't be shared. Today, I mingled with royalty." She proceeded to tell all about Vaux-le-Vicomte, its history, lavishness, extensive gardens, and overpriced open-air restaurant, and also what a good guide Philippe was.

"You're leaving some things out," Sam commented. "How about that hunk, Philippe? Did you guys cozy up under the chateau's satin sheets?" John's smile grew even thinner. Daryl laughed again. Kay smiled but shook her head.

"That would be none of your business, sweet sister, even if it had occurred," Mandy responded.

"Okay guys, since we're not going to learn anything spicy, why don't we go get some more beer and give the lovebirds some time alone," Sam said. She put her hand up and waved fingers.

"Yes, I was about to suggest the same," said Kay. "Skype me when you get a chance," she added, looking directly at the webcam.

Mandy promised she would. John's face was the only one left. The microphone picked up background noises, including a door closing.

"They stopped in a while ago. We might all go out in a little while," John told her, "but nowhere near as ritzy as where you've been today. Sounds like quite a place, or should I say quite a palace."

Mandy nodded. "But so much money! As I told Philippe, I would have been happy with just a picnic after hiking in a nice forest, a seat around a campfire by a babbling brook, like where you and I went over the summer."

"I could totally go for that too, but Philippe wouldn't have to come along," John commented. Mandy did not respond. "Sorry, that was lame," he added. "Guess I can't help but be jealous since he's there with you and I'm not, but I am happy that he's showing you so many good things. Not without motives, I'm sure, but I can't blame him for that."

"I guess we should discuss the elephant," Mandy said. "I really do enjoy being with Philippe. He's very nice."

"I'm sure. You wouldn't be hanging out with him so much otherwise."

"I kissed him tonight," she confessed. "Just a goodnight at the door. I think he wanted to kiss me earlier, but for some reason, he didn't."

John did not answer for a moment. "Maybe you scare him a little, as you did me. Someone like you doesn't come along every day. Maybe he realizes you have to be treated right so you don't take flight, disappear like some beautiful dream."

"You're sweet, dude. Oh lord, I'm so mixed up right now. Wondering why Philippe didn't kiss me, and wishing you were here to do more than just kiss."

He smiled fully for the first time since the conversation started. "It's good to hear that, even if it doesn't help my frustration." He looked down. "Stop it, little guy, mind your manners." Mandy laughed loudly. "As for Philippe," John continued, "I'm going to fight that jealousy thing. I'm cool with whatever, long as he treats you right. Should I call him, and tell him you want to be kissed?"

She laughed again, responding, "Why don't we just let nature take its course." After a moment, she added, with raised brows, "Speaking about nature, you said you're going out with Kay in a little while?"

"We may all go out somewhere, or we may just chill here. I like Kay. I like Sam too."

"Don't let her get the hooks into you," Mandy said, half serious. "Has she come on to you?"

John laughed. "Now who's showing some jealousy?"

Mandy felt a little embarrassed. "It's just that I've always had to share things with her, including my previous boyfriends. It's almost as if she has to score every guy I go out with."

"She is tempting," John said offhandedly. "That identical twin thing. And I do miss you so much. Sam might help me 'over the hump,' so to speak."

She crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it at the webcam. John pretended to duck while chuckling.

"I'm tempted to call up Philippe and go jump in his bed," she said, pouting.

"I wish you could jump in mine instead," he said, looking more serious, adding after a moment, "So do you guys have anything planned tomorrow, or are you going to actually practice music?"

"He said he was going to plan a woodland picnic, but I don't know how serious he was."

"Hey, I have an idea. Since Sam likes to score guys you go out with, maybe I should fly over and bring her along to occupy Philippe while we enjoy our own picnic," John suggested with a wry smile.

Mandy smiled too but did not respond.

"Well, enjoy," he said. "It must be late there. Guess I should let you go." Another pause. "Lame jokes aside, I appreciate you keeping me in the loop."

"Okay."

"I was only kidding about getting it on with Sam, you know."

"Okay, but I wouldn't hold anything against you, long as you're there for me when I get back."

"No worries about that," he said, with a tender look. "Love you."

"Right back at ya, my handsome American stud." She ended the call.

The humor had been a little forced, the conversation a bit strained, she reflected. That candor thing did have its drawbacks.

* * *

When she went to join Philippe the next morning at their favorite cafe, she found he had already one-upped her yet again. He was sipping coffee at an outside table, a second thermos cup for her with a box of croissants. He also had a classic wicker picnic basket with a lid. She laughed her pleasure at that.

Philippe announced his tour of the day was the Forest of Fontainebleau, south of Paris, a former royal hunting preserve converted into a sort of French national park.

"We could visit the Royal Château de Fontainebleau," Philippe said, as they disembarked from the train. "It is a large palace where the kings of France took their ease, but not as interesting as Vaux-le-Vicomte, and I infer that you would prefer something more rustic and less formal today. Thus, we may choose to visit a section of the forest popular with hikers and equestrians, and take our ease in your majesty's preferred way."

"Sounds delightful," Mandy said. They boarded a coach that took them through miles of woodland, disembarking at an area Philippe expressed familiarity with and began walking a trail. Mandy took the basket, Philippe a daypack. The hike led for two or three miles through fields and dense woods punctuated by large boulders. It seemed to be a popular area, as they encountered more people than they had during the previous day at the chateau. At a nice spot off the trail, beneath a tall tree, Philippe suggested they pause for a rest. He opened his backpack and removed a checkered tablecloth which he spread out for them to sit on.

Many laughed. "You do things so well," she told him.

Unpacking the basket, he thinly sliced a baguette and opened containers of soft spreads. "We start with appetizers Salmon rillettes and c hèvre goat's cheese for your dining pleasure, Mlle. Beaufort," Philippe said with a flourish. Mandy told him she found his hors d'oeuvres comparable to those the previous evening at Les Charmilles. Also probably much cheaper, she thought to herself. Philippe beamed at the compliment.

As they ate, she observed three guys surveying a small rock formation a short distance across the clearing. After coating hands in chalk, one started to free climb via small handholds and cracks. Philippe explained the forest was popular for bouldering.

Mandy told him she wanted to observe closer, so they strolled over and introduced themselves. The climbers were friendly. One asked if they were into the sport, to which Philippe replied they merely wished to observe. Mandy added in broken French that she was more fond of rock scrambling, although she had done some bouldering. The guy asked if she would like to try this boulder.

The fellow attempting the climb yelled something and fell, his friends with outstretched arms buffering what would have been a ten-foot drop so that he hit lightly on the mat covering the ground.

"I'd love to try. It's been a while." Mandy said. She was in shorts with a loose top, and her shoes would be okay, she thought. "But I don't have any chalk." The climbers, all in their early 20s, had been subtly observing her, and practically fell over each other offering chalk. The one who seemed to be in charge produced a pair of more suitable shoes as well.

"You guys are great," Mandy said, tying her long hair back in a ponytail so it would not get in her face on the rock. She sat down to change shoes, then coated her hands in the chalk and surveyed the rock face. Philippe looked on, a little serious, she thought.

Satisfied with what she saw, she bounded up, hands and feet finding small knobs and edges, and worked her way along the face just below a small overhang. The guys followed below, moving the mat and ready to catch her if she slipped. They actually bumped into each other for the prime catching position.

When she got to the point where the climber had lost it, Mandy seemed to defy gravity, using one hand to grip a small knob and kicking up to throw a leg over the outcrop, which allowed her to rise enough to slip fingers on her other hand into a small crack and pull herself up to a higher foothold. She worked her way back again along the minuscule ledge, then virtually climbed ladder-style up a series of tiny hand and foot holds, using her momentum to keep herself moving until she crested at the high point, some 15 feet above the ground. It had taken less than a minute, and she felt satisfied as it had been her first such trial in more than a year.

The other side of the boulder was nowhere near as challenging, and she descended easily, rounding it even before the men could get in place to break her fall if she should slip.