The Phoenix and the Ice Queen Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mel laughed then seeing his face said, "You're serious?" Brandon nodded. "Well in that case I might need to shower and change, I'm not going to a nice restaurant looking and smelling like this." She said grabbing some clothes and heading for the bathroom, "You're next by the way, I'm not going out to dinner with you looking and smelling like that, date or not."

Brandon nodded and left the room to give her some privacy as she showered and got ready. He stopped at the desk to see if they needed reservations. The clerk said yes, and helpfully asked if he wanted her to make them, but he said he would do it, and after getting the number he called. They took his name down for an hour from then. Brandon then took out his laptop and worked on his side project, combing the network security code for the glitch he was sure was there. It turned out Proud Stone IT and its head of security agreed with him, but they hadn't been able to find the hole, nor did they have the resources to scour the code to find it. So, given his background they asked him to look 'look only, don't fix it, that way you're not in violation of your settlement,' they told him. So, Brandon did, so far, he had not found it, but he was confident he would soon. After a bit, Mel sent him a message it was his turn to shower and get ready, and he closed up and headed back to the room.

By the time he got back Mel was gone, figuring they must've passed each other on the way down he chose some clothes showered, and shaved quickly for good measure, then dressed and headed down.

He found Mel in the lobby, and to his utter surprise she was actually wearing a dress, and possibly a hint of makeup. He complimented her, to her clear surprise, and they set out for the short walk to dinner.

When they were seated Mel immediately ordered wine, which was no surprise given the day she had had. After the server left, they decided to order an appetizer, since they really did not have anywhere, they needed to be and were fairly hungry, and while they waited, they reflected on the assignment they had just completed. When the appetizer came, they placed their order, before starting in on the food. As they ate Brandon listened to Mel vent about the whole mess with the rental company. When she seemed to finally run out of steam Brandon smiled and said,

"I'm sorry about your date Mel, it looks like you liked this guy." She just nodded then curious he asked, "So which kind was it?"

"Which kind?" Mel asked confused, "I don't know what you mean."

"Oh, come on Mel, you only date two types of guys. Either its some hot shot important guy who thinks he's god's gift to the world, and often has no respect for you, or any woman he dates. Or, it's a yes man that does practically everything you say, but you get bored of because he's more lap dog than man."

Mel seemed taken aback that he had taken enough note of her dating life in the time he had known her. Of course, it helped that he had been privy to her phone calls for the past 7 plus months. He was honestly surprised she went out on so many dates, given how rarely they were in town, but he was positive she would often start relationships with guys in the city she was in using some kind of dating app. As he said though, they were either guys who she respected, but they did not respect her or vice versa. Brandon looked at Mel and answered his own question. He smiled, "It's the first one, you are way too dressed up for this to be a lap dog. Especially given he's from our area, if it was a yes man, you'd have gotten bored with him by now."

"So, what if it is? What's it to you who I date, it's not like your selection is any better, and not that it matters because I'm pretty sure he won't be returning my calls after tonight."

"Then it's his loss Mel, you should have more confidence in your self-worth, though I swear that's the only reason you date the yes men, is to pad your self-esteem." Then realizing she had taken a shot at him he asked, "And what's wrong with the women I go out with?"

"Oh, come on Brandon, not a one of them has a scrap of brains or ambition and you know it, except to be a stay-at-home mom possibly."

"So, at least they know what they want out of their lives, and I happen to value a woman that is committed to a sound family life. Besides, not all of them are looking for a meal ticket, give me some credit Mel."

"If you say so," she said.

"You act like I don't value intelligence Mel, I consider you a friend and you're definitely not weak or an airhead, why would I want my wife to be one?"

"It's what all men want Brandon, whether they admit it or not, they want some pretty thing to do their bidding."

"You seriously have a bad opinion of men Mel."

"Well, its earned, trust me on that."

Seeing how dark things had gone, Brandon had an idea.

"Fine, I'll prove it to you I meant what I said about the women I date, for the rest of the date I'll conduct myself like you're one of them." Then he smiled and added, "And for fun, you pretend I'm this guy you dressed up to impress."

"I did not dress up." Mel grumbled under her breath.

"Yes, you did. Mel, you got your nails done, and I've never seen you in a dress in the whole time I've known you, you were clearly trying to impress this guy. So, pretend I'm him, I'll act like you're one of the women I date, and to make it interesting." Brandon paused, as he had to think for a moment since he would be paying regardless, then he had it, "loser gets the couch tonight. What do you say?"

"Sure," Mel said with a grin, "but one condition. If I'm trying to impress, I need to visit the ladies' room first, the bet starts when I get back." Brandon agreed and she left the table.

He wondered just what she had in store for him. Truthfully, he knew he would not change his manner that much, but he was sure she had something up her sleeve, even if her dress didn't have any.

When she sat down smelling of perfume, and definitely wearing makeup, this time he had to smile, rising from his seat he held out his hand. "You must be Mel," he said in greeting, "I'm Brandon, it's good to finally meet you."

"It's good to meet you as well," she said in a sultry voice taking her seat. Brandon was shocked at the difference between the woman who he had been eating with, and the woman that had immerged from the bathroom to be his 'date', and he definitely knew, already, which he preferred.

"Mel is an interesting name for a woman," he said, "any chance I get to know what its short for?"

Mel glared at him for asking the question he knew she would not answer, "Maybe someday, I do not really like my full name, besides I find Mel gives me advantages in the workplace."

The answer surprised him, that a little bit of the real Mel peeked through, but it seemed to disappear just as quickly behind date Mel. After that question though he they began asking questions about each other's work and family. It was then that he realized how little he knew about Mel's true background. She had given him a summary that time they had had their work lunch when she offered him his job, and he had told her about his troubles with his previous employer, but not much else.

Brandon learned more about her life growing up, but she was very guarded about her past even still, and it was clear she did not appreciate him prying. On the other hand, when Mel asked about his life growing up, he gladly spoke about his parents and his brother and his nephews and niece.

After talking about his brother's kids, the talk turned to their work briefly, which since that was all either of them usually talked about was a very short discussion, before they switched to the future and life goals. Brandon repeated his work goals from before and reiterated his focus on family.

"So, you're looking for your wife to stay home then?" Mel asked again slightly breaking character, but he let it go and replied.

"Not necessarily. I know what century I live in Mel; you don't have to be a stay-at-home parent to be a good parent. Would I prefer one of us to stay home a bit when the kids are younger? Sure, but it's just not reality for some people, usually for financial reasons. My opinion there is no better investment than in the future of your kids. If you're going to have them then actually make sacrifices to be a parent, otherwise why bother. People who have kids for status symbols drive me nuts, kids are people, and people are not things you use to show status. Just my opinion, sorry if you disagree."

To his surprise Mel smiled and said, "Actually I could not agree more with most of what you said, growing up with a parent that did not love me at all, I can tell you it's really hard on a kid. My issue is that coming from a man it, in my experience, usually means he wants the little wifey to give up her career to be the stay-at-home parent. That or he's a lazy guy looking for a meal ticket, and a free ride, and thinks being a stay-at-home parent will be easy. As I said I was basically raised by a single parent, I can tell you it's not an easy job."

"No, it's not, and I have a unique position in that my job doesn't necessarily require me to work at an office 9 to 5. You can write and edit code anywhere at any time, some of my best work is done later in the day. Besides, using daycare is not all bad, it teaches kids to interact with other kids, which is important, or they're lost when they get to school. So honestly if my wife wants to work full time great, as long as she's committed to being a good mom when she is around and makes an effort to be around her kids, I don't mind taking the brunt of the load. After all, I want kids, so I'll do what it takes to have them.

That said, I'd obviously prefer it to be a little more balanced than that, but if push comes to shove, I'd be willing to work with her. Marriage is a partnership, and that's really what I'm looking for, a partner, not someone to boss me around, or for me to boss around."

Mel smiled, "That's a nice way of putting it, and that's what I want too truthfully, but my work makes it difficult to find someone like that who is willing to work with me."

Sensing things had gotten too serious, Brandon stepped back and asked trivial questions like favorite color, season, and food. Deciding that, if this was a date, they might as well answer awkward questions. It worked, and the mood lightened considerably, Brandon even got Mel to laugh once or twice.

As it came time to pay the bill and go, he was surprised at the kind of information Mel had shared, he had not really expected her to take it seriously. He even began to realize just what an amazing catch she could be for some guy, and how ridiculously out of his league he would find her if they had not been coworkers. Even though he felt she had broken character several times, he decided to blatantly break character, so as not to make her sleep on the couch, having always intended to sleep there anyways.

"I have to admit, I was impressed," Mel said as they walked back to the room. "At first, I thought you weren't taking that seriously at all, but it's really well-done Brandon. I'm amazed some of those women don't eat that up and try to snatch you up."

"Is that an offer Mel?"

"God no. I mean I can see why other women might want that, but we work together, and you are a little too, I don't know, safe for me. I like adventure and the chase." She paused then added, "Besides, Brandon you're looking to settle down with some woman and have kids, like, soon as possible, and I'm just not ready for that, maybe in my 30s, but not now. There's just too much to do."

"So, you do want kids then?"

"Yes, I think so, and definitely not for status symbols, I'm just afraid I'd be a terrible mother, especially at this stage of my life."

"I see, I guess that makes sense Mel," then he added, "for the record you are a pretty good date as well Mel. I have to say though, I like the real you better, its more genuine. At least, what of the real you I know, that is."

Mel smiled and thanked him, and they finished off the rest of the trip to their room discussing plans for the next morning. Once they got back to the room, they settled in for bed, wished each other good night and had been laying in silence a few moments, when out of the blue Mel said, "Melissa."

"I'm Brandon, Mel," he said chuckling.

"I know that, you jerk, I'm Melissa, that's what Mel is short for. You asked, so I'm telling you. I don't like it because it makes me sound like a ditz brained airhead, if you must know. Only thing worse would be if I had a name like Amber, or Tiffany." Brandon chuckled thinking of Clay's wife's name, and hearing this Mel got defensive, "fine be a jerk! Last time I tell you something personal!" She grumbled out.

"Sorry, it had nothing to do with your name, just remind me to introduce you to Clay's wife sometime, I think you'll get a kick out of meeting her. As for your name, thanks for telling me. Melissa is pretty, and it kind of suits you. You had me imagining something like Melancholy or Melody or some nonsense, Melissa is nice. I totally understand why you prefer Mel though, at least at work, it suits the Ice Queen a bit better."

"Thanks, and before you get any ideas, only my mother gets away with using it, understood?"

"Absolutely. Good night Mel, thanks for sharing that."

"Good night, and thanks for dinner, I needed that. Just this once though, you try that again, and I'll think you're up to something."

Brandon smiled, "No worries Mel, you're not exactly my type either, as you've made clear, on several occasions."

However, as Brandon settled down to go to sleep, he had to wonder if that was true, he had seen more in her than before. His time with her on the road, and what he had seen tonight showed him she was a lot warmer of a person than she let on, there was definitely more to Melissa Murphy than met the eye.

Chapter 4

Very little came of their mock date though, in the coming weeks they quickly settled back into the comfortable roles as coworkers, and everything went well. What also went well in the coming weeks was his side assignment. He ended up finding a very cleverly hidden back door in the security that would have potentially let a user bypass most of the firewalls to get at the data behind. It was so small it could be argued that it was for maintenance, but Brandon didn't think so. Trouble was, the only real solution was to overhaul Proud Stones entire network security software, which would cost a bunch of time and money. Knowing that it would be unlikely they would be willing to do that, Brandon suggested a few ways to lock up the backdoor from the inside.

To his surprise while Proud Stone took his recommendation of the extra locks, they said they would consider the overhaul as soon as January, which was only a few months away. When he reported this to Mel she just smiled and said, "See Brandon, I told you not every executive is as short sighted as your last company."

"I know, but even stranger, they asked if I was interested in helping with the overhaul."

"What did you say?"

"Well yes, I mean I enjoy this, but coding is my passion, but the big thing is, I can't."

"What did they say to that?"

"They only asked again if the ban was removed, would I be interested in possibly leading the team to overhaul the security software."

"Wow, team lead, that's great Brandon."

"Right, except I can't there's no way around that settlement, and they can't afford to wait the 4 years it would take."

"That you know of," Mel said with a smile, "who knows, they may have something up their sleeve Brandon. After all, we have access to far better lawyers and minds than you did the first time. All it would take is the right circumstance, and you'd be surprised how willing people here will be to help you. Whether people know it or not, you are a huge asset for us, if utilized correctly that is."

The right circumstances must not have come to pass in the next few weeks, because Brandon heard nothing more on the overhaul, though the patches did successfully go into place, which made him feel a lot better. He just hoped it would be enough until the security could be reworked.

With the network security issue behind them, he and Mel settled back into their roles, though it was clear things were going to wind down for a bit. It also looked like the company had different roles in mind for them. Brandon was obviously being considered for the network security project, whenever that got approved, and Mel said she too had gotten interest from other areas in the company now that the year was nearing its close.

However, Fred, the new Midwest Regional Manager, met with them just after Thanksgiving to offer them an extension on their current project.

"I know it's not what you were hoping for when I brought you in to meet today, but the truth is you two are the best we have out there, and we need you where you are until summer." Fred said before continuing, "The good news is, your excellent work has not gone unnoticed, we hope to have more suitable positions for you come June when this extension is up. Brandon, we've already discussed the security upgrade, we hope to have things sorted out by then to allow for that project. Mel, as for you, there will be some department head vacancies this summer we hope you will consider."

"Back in Boston I assume?" Mel asked.

"Certainly, if you wish to do that, but I'll have a couple here in Chicago I hope you'll consider."

Mel nodded then said, "Well in that case I accept. I do not love the idea of being on the road more, but I kind of enjoy the work overall."

"And you Brandon?"

Brandon smiled, "Well, you'll have to talk to Clay about the terms of the extension, but if he's ok with it, like Mel I do not relish living on the road so much, but I am enjoying the work as well." Then after a pause he added, "about the network security project is one of the things you guys are working on my ban? I ask because if that's not resolved, I will not be a ton of help."

"Knowing you Brandon, you would find a way, but yes, I'm told we have people looking into your legal situation. We're exploring some options currently, but as you know the courts are not known for their expediency. You will be kept up to date on our progress. As to the other point I of course spoke with Clay, we came to terms on an extension, so you should be all set."

With that it was back to the routine, as they had said it was not unenjoyable. They certainly enjoyed working together and helping create something had its own satisfaction. Admittedly though, it was wearing to be on the road constantly especially on their personal life. Brandon continued to try to go on dates when he was home, but nothing ever lasted long enough to be called a relationship. He could tell Mel was having no better luck, though a lot of that had to do with her habit of seeing guys in whatever town they were in for the few weeks they were there. Clearly those had a short shelf life. To be fair she too, tried to date guys back in Chicago, but like Brandon she was not having much luck there either. Brandon could always tell when Mel had to miss something back home, because she got grumpy.

"Miss another hot date?" Brandon asked as they neared the end of their journey home. He had hoped to avoid asking until they were home, but things had gotten so frosty he had to just ask.

"Nope, I was supposed to fly to Boston yesterday."

"Oh, were you going home for New Years?" Brandon asked, since it was New Year's Eve the next day, "You know you can still make it. If your flight's tonight or tomorrow morning."

"Nope, not for New Years," she sighed then said. "Oh, right you don't know, because I'm so damn guarded not even my closest work friend knows what today is. No, today's my birthday, I was flying home to spend it with my mom. Now I'm stuck out here spending it alone, as usual."