The Phoenix and the Ice Queen Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 6

As promised Mel and Brandon completed their last assignment, then were immediately placed in temporary positions while the situation worked itself out. Also as promised, the FBI inquiry ended up being non-eventful for Brandon, and his cooperation led to the expected findings that Genotech had once again indirectly endangered the public. As had been expected, the stock price fell, and they were soon quickly acquired by Proud Stone and rebranded Alliance Software. Brandon still thought they should have used his idea of Phoenix Software, but Mel shushed him every time he expressed that opinion, for some reason. She was suspiciously on the phone a lot with people unknown, Brandon would have suspected a boyfriend, but it was Mel. Besides, the calls seemed entirely business related. He thought perhaps she was getting a jump on the negotiations for her next job.

Brandon found out who Mel had been talking to when he was invited over for dinner one night by Clay, and found Mel was already there. At first, he wondered if Clay was trying to set them up for some reason, but that was quickly dispelled once they sat down to eat.

"So, Brandon you're probably wondering why you're here." Clay opened as the food was passed around.

"Yes, I must admit, it is a bit curious." Brandon replied as he served himself and passed what he was holding.

"Well, as you are aware from the meeting a week or so ago, you have shown immense value to Proud Stone. So much so, that they've taken steps to effectively eliminate your ban, in part in order to work on a high priority project of theirs." Brandon nodded and Clay continued, "Now ordinarily where we go from here would be either they'll offer you a job at Proud Stone, or they'll come to me to work out terms on a contract position for you. However, your coworker here has an idea for a third option, that may interest you, Mel?"

Mel cleared her throat, "Simply this, instead of you just be hired on or contracted to work on the network security project, you agree to a contract the length of your ban plus the time until the end of the year, and in exchange we put you on a path to be on your own a bit."

Brandon was a bit confused and did not really like being forced to work for one company so long, even one as good as Proud Stone, but he figured if Clay was in favor, it could not be horrible. "Ok and what exactly does 'on my own a bit' mean?"

Mel smiled and replied, "Simple, if you agree, the people at this table become partners in a software company and in exchange for exclusive use for your time over the next three and a half years. Phoenix Software Inc, the new company, will get the rights to any software you and your team develops, after the Network security project of course. What's more when the time is up you can walk with no non-compete clause."

Clay answering a question before Brandon could ask said, "And of course if you choose to opt out early all you have to do is sign the intellectual property of the stuff you work on back to Proud Stone and they'll waive the non-compete, so you have the option of walking away at any time, it will just cost you more if you opt out early."

"Right," Mel added, "and if you can stand the long contract term your work will be yours and the management side will be run by people you trust, Clay and myself."

"And me," Amber said speaking up for the first time. "I know you think I'm some airhead, but I'm as much a part of Clay success as he is, and I definitely want in on this venture."

Brandon could tell Mel was surprised by Amber, but she recovered nicely, "Yes, sorry I didn't mean to overlook you."

"Yes, you did, but its ok. I know what I look like, and I use it. I've lost count of the number of times new clients have said something right in front of me, thinking I'm just the dumb airhead secretary or trophy wife. Fact is I have the business degree and I mostly run Resin, Clay just happens to be one hell of a negotiator and knows his stuff about the tech world." Mel looked impressed and Brandon had a feeling that that conversation would continue later, for now though Mel was clearly on a mission.

"Right, well speaking of managing, with the new acquisition there are a lot of new departments that need to be staffed with leadership and I know I'm top of Fred's list. I figure we could use that to our advantage for me to get experience running a software firm, in case we end up wanting to keep Phoenix going long term."

"Long term?" Brandon asked, surprised.

"Yes," Mel answered taking a breath, "My thought is in just over three years, when the contract is up the four of us," and Brandon could not help notice the looks exchanged between Mel and Amber, "Can meet again and discuss possibly taking the company out on its own. Brandon, you would oversee the projects team, and I would lead the business side, with help from Clay and Amber of course."

"That's putting a lot of faith in me to develop things worth selling Mel," Brandon said a bit overwhelmed at how far she had thought this out.

"It is and it isn't. Whether we decide to go out on our own or not, you'll own your own work and have spent a few years doing work you love with an impressive resume. I will spend that time hopefully climbing the ladder at Alliance." She seemed to run out of steam here, but Clay helped her out.

"As for us, we simply think it's a wise investment in the long run. After all god knows Amber and I have invested in a lot shakier ideas than this."

Brandon could see that all three of his friends had truly given this a ton of thought, Clay and Amber's faith did not surprise him too much, they had rolled the dice on him when he first started and in his short time with them so far, he had turned out to be well worth it.

It was honestly Mel's interest in the partnership that intrigued him, as this was all clearly her idea. He knew Mel well enough to know she did not willingly tie her career aspirations to anyone, least of all a man. Finally, he expressed this out loud, "Mel, I'm surprised, I mean this idea is great, but it's so thoroughly not you, it goes against everything your mentor told you back in January."

Mel nodded then said, "Yes, but a good friend once told me to figure out what I want, and go for it, regardless of what Andi thinks. Well, this is what I want. I think we make a great team, as I said, regardless of what happens, I think this only helps us in the long run of our careers. You told me young CEOs are often tied to some genius tech guy with an idea and business sense. Well, I think you are that genius with ideas, but you need help with the business sense, I can help you there. In the end I need to learn to trust someone to help me, and you need people managing the business side you can trust. I can do a lot worse than link my career with yours, and I know you trust these two," she paused for a bit before adding, "and I hope me enough to know we have your back."

Brandon looked around the table and smiled, "In that case how can I refuse, I'm in, a few conditions though."

For the remainder of the evening the four of them hashed out what they would ideally want as terms for their new venture, Clay and Mel agreeing to be the principal negotiators. Brandon smiled at that, almost feeling sorry for Fred, but hoping they would not overstep what Proud Stone was able, or willing, to give. Still, he trusted them to get Phoenix Software, and him personally, a fair deal.

One other unexpected thing of significance came out of the meeting, it seemed Mel had struck up the beginnings of a friendship with Amber. After the initial tension between them he could tell Mel had developed a respect for the other woman, and soon they were discussing their similar educational backgrounds.

"Though I'm nowhere in your league Mel, I have a degree in accounting and an MBA. Like I said, I kind of run Resin."

Amber was a second-generation manager and business school graduate, as her mother had run her dad's auto repair business. She had met Clay at Community College before she moved on to a state university for her other degrees, and he went on to technical school, they fell in love and together formed Resin.

It was clear the two women had a passion for their work, but since Amber had no interest in big companies, she was not a threat to Mel, like a lot of other women she tried to be friends with. Before Mel left for the evening the two seemed to be making an appointment to go get massages together.

The next time Fred met with them it was to discuss their new roles, for Mel it was what one would have expected. She was being given a role at Alliance as part of the team to turn things around there. She drew a tough lot in that she got quality control, a department Brandon knew was the weak link at Alliance to be sure.

"As for you Brandon, a rather impressive deal has been negotiated by your representatives. As you know, before the buyout you would have been required to not program for another three and a half years or so. Obviously, that will no longer be the case within a week or so, if you choose you are free to go about your life and continue your career as you see fit. We sincerely hope though you will consider the following offer." Fred passed him a sheet of paper outlining a new 4-year contract with Proud Stone.

The contract was exactly what had been discussed at Clay and Amber's, and after giving Brandon a moment to look it over, Fred continued.

"Now I know four years is a lot, and we'll get to that, we mostly put that in because of what you are getting from us. As you can see, we're effectively hiring you to lead a new software development team. Your first assignment will be our network security upgrade. After that assignment anything created by you and your team is at that point your property, or rather property of your company Phoenix Software Inc."

"Well in that case, I'd have to be a special kind of idiot to refuse. I gladly accept."

Brandon then signed the necessary paperwork and upon receiving it Fred Said, "excellent, see you both at the party." Before he left, he added, "which reminds me Mel, I've been told to remind you it's a party, gender appropriate formal attire is required, after all its supposed to be a bit of fun."

Brandon knew what that meant just by the look on Mel's face, they were basically requiring her to wear a dress, something he almost never saw her wear, even when things called for it. He had a feeling she would get her silent revenge somehow.

Sure enough, when the big event came Mel was in a dress, but it was very conservative, drab, loose, and ill fitting, she looked kind of like a nun without a habit on. Brandon just smiled and shook his head as he approached her to comment.

"Well, you just love that nickname so very much, don't you?"

She smiled, "Not really, but it comes in handy sometimes. It's freeing to be able to be a bitch to people sometimes and not care, because it's what they expected."

"That's a very jaded view of the world and people."

"Well, very few people have proven me wrong, especially in business." Then after a pause, "As for the world, I learned early not to expect anything but pain from it, it's a cold and unforgiving wasteland that will eat you alive if you let it."

Brandon nodded sadly, "Well given your experience I can see why you say that, but turning yourself to ice doesn't really protect you from it Mel. It simply makes the wasteland seem all the more cold and lonely."

Mel looked at him pensively, "Perhaps you're right, but I can't afford a gamble like that."

Brandon nodded and changed the subject and before long they were pulled in different directions by the night's events.

Brandon continued to dwell on her words as the night went on, and realized, whether she knew it or not her view was going to be challenged. After all she had made a gamble of a personal and professional nature, not only on Phoenix, but on Clay, Amber and himself. Whether she knew it or not, those could form lasting relationships with people she'd have a hard time pushing away. He also realized that he would have to gamble on being hurt by her to show her the world was not as cold as she thought.