The PI Who Knew Too Much Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"God, you really are something else. I don't know why I put up with you." He shrugged. "But yeah, come by the office and I'll loan you the key." He stood up to leave. "Oh hell, never mind that, just pick the goddam lock like you always do." He tossed a half-dollar on the table and walked out.

--§--

I POKED AROUND for a couple of hours under mattresses, behind pictures on the , all the good places. I was sure I'd find something the cops had overlooked, since it was obvious they hadn't searched the place as thoroughly as Bezier's office, but all I had to show for it was dirty fingernails and a sweaty dress shirt. Tired, I wandered back into the living room and collapsed on the couch.

Just as I got up to leave, the cover of a book lying on the couch caught my eye. Unless there was something about Bezier I didn't know, it must have been his wife's—it showed a lurid photo of a bare-chested fellow clutching a panting blonde. When I picked it up, I noticed that the bookmark was a business card. For a CPA. A Sycamore 4 telephone number was written on the back.

Now why the hell would she need a CPA? She was married to one. Maybe this was one of the guys she was banging in her spare time. She wouldn't be needing to find her place, so I pocketed the card before I left.

I got back to the office around 4:30. Lupe said there were no calls, as usual. She looked like she wanted to ask where I'd been and why I was gone so long, but didn't. She just put on her coat, picked up her purse, and left. Pissed again. I was getting good at that.

The name on the card was James T. Kirchner. It sounded vaguely familiar. I sat and pondered for a while, then dug the Herald-Express out of the wastebasket. A brief story on page 5 reported that an accountant named James Kirchner was found shot to death in his Pasadena office.

I wondered what the hell I was getting into.

—To be continued—


12