The Price of Temptation

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Beryl shook her head. Her eyes were flicking all over the place, but avoiding Ursula's gaze at all costs. Ursula leaned forward, looking at the older woman.

'Beryl, look at me,' she said. 'Do you think I so much as kissed this man? A client's husband?'

Beryl looked at Ursula. Ursula looked back, unblinking, her gaze steady. After a moment, Beryl's shoulders sagged in relief.

'No, of course not,' she said. 'I'm sorry, Ursula. But this woman ... she was so angry.'

'Yes, I know.'

Ursula frowned, as though coming to a momentous decision. Then, she lowered her voice as she spoke.

'Beryl, listen,' she said. 'Because of client confidentiality, I can't say too much. But I can tell you this: I met with Sally yesterday. And her husband.'

Beryl's mouth yawned open.

Ursula said: 'This is strictly between you and me?'

'Of course,' said Beryl.

'All right...'

The two women leaned over the counter, like conspirators.

'I don't know if you remember Sally's husband?' began Ursula.

'The hunk of prime beef who was here last week?' said Beryl. 'Of course I remember him! The yoga girls are still talking about him!'

'Well, he called me after that session. Twice. The first time, to thank me; the second time, to tell me he wanted to sleep with me.'

Beryl just stared. Ursula pressed on.

'Anyway, I told him no, several times, but he was persistent. He wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally, he sent me a text message with a date, a time and a hotel room number.'

'What a nerve!' burst out Beryl. 'That's unbelievable! What did you do?'

'I showed up at the hotel,' said Ursula. 'But I also made sure his wife knew about it.'

Beryl's eyes were popping out of her head. Ursula waited while she processed the information. One of the other female life coaches came in through the main door, wishing them a good morning. Ursula and Beryl said good morning back, then turned away to make it clear they were in the middle of something. The woman took the hint and disappeared into a back room. Beryl turned to Ursula.

'So, what happened?' she said.

'Well, as you can imagine, there were some fireworks,' said Ursula. 'The husband was pretty calm, but his wife was bouncing off the walls.'

'It's probably not the first time for him,' said Beryl with disgust. 'But what did you do?'

'I did what I could,' said Ursula. 'I told this man to his face that he was a manipulative bastard, and I told his wife that his behaviour was a toxic presence in her life. And then I left. I mean, what more could I do?'

Beryl leaned back, shaking her head in amazement. Then she stopped and looked at Ursula, as though struck by an understanding.

'And, of course, the wife is angry at you,' said Beryl. 'Not the philandering husband, but the "other woman". Why is that always the way?'

'Well, I read some material on the subject,' said Ursula. 'And I think what it boils down to is this: If you base your life on an illusion, you don't want that illusion taken away. That's why people find the truth so hard to accept, even when it's staring them in the face.'

Beryl nodded as she pondered this. Then she gave Ursula a sideways look.

'Mind you,' said Beryl, 'that man was quite a dish. Didn't the thought cross your mind?'

'Well, of course!' said Ursula. 'I mean, being a feminist doesn't mean I don't have needs and desires. But here's the thing about good-looking men, Beryl: They have a kind of power over women which most men don't have. And you know what they say about power corrupting?'

Again, Beryl nodded as she digested this. Ursula smiled. People were now coming into the wellness centre, so Ursula wished Beryl a good morning and made her way up the staircase. She entered her favourite consulting room, hung her coat on the old-fashioned hat-stand and glanced at the clock. She still had time for her morning meditation before her first client arrived.

Today was going to be a good day.