The Prince's Consort Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sure." Caitlin watched her mother work, defeated. If she had continued the interrogation, she might not have kept her promise to Kalen. Her mother had a right to know.

A disappointed silence stretched between them, the eggs sizzling as the hash browns were thrown into the pan.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Caitlin dismissed herself, shutting the bathroom door securely. Sitting on the side of the bathtub, she dropped her head in open palms. Anyone who knew Janice also knew she was a fighter, the conversation was far from over.

Of course, her mother was upset, she was a fool to believe the tone in her letters. Caitlin knew what she was walking into. Kalen made Micah come along to protect her from exactly this, but she'd blown him off, like an idiot.

What did she expect, returning home?

Washing her hands, she came back to the kitchen. A platter of scrambled eggs was steaming on the table as the potatoes popped, "Grab us some plates, it's just about ready."

Caitlin set the table for two.

"Set two more, Gabe and your driver will be eating with us."

"His name is Micah."

The two men made an appearance as she did as her mother bid. Gabriel appeared larger inside the house, dwarfing her with his bulk. Micah followed after, new stains on his pants, and rather unhappy about the whole ordeal. Janice turned around with a steaming plate of hash browns.

Caitlin waited for everyone to be seated, and her mother to pray.

"Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen." Janice concluded.

"Amen," Caitlin and Gabriel chimed in unison. Micah kept his head down, and said nothing.

Gabriel was not shy about starting first, "Thank you." He said gratefully, stuffing his mouth full of hash browns. She caught a glimpse of his scar fighting the stretch of his cheeks, wondering what could have savaged him. Accidents on a farm weren't uncommon, but it looked more like a wild animal's doing. She took a thoughtful bite of eggs.

Breakfast was painfully quiet: Janice was angry, Micah had been warned, Gabriel seemed less interested in making conversation, and Caitlin was afraid to burst the tentative peace.

After she'd finished her plate, and unable to stand it any longer, she spoke, "May I be excused?"

"You may," her mother said hesitantly, accentuation on the 'may' gave her cause to doubt the authenticity of the statement.

She took the opportunity anyway, clearing her place and washing the dishes. It wasn't even eleven, but Caitlin already wanted to crawl back in bed and stay there until the sun set. Instead, she stepped out onto the back porch, watching the pigs roll in the mud.

Micah caught up with her, "Hey." He closed the screen, "that was some serious tension in there, guess she's peeved, huh?"

"Guess so." Caitlin leaned on the banister, lowering her voice. "I can't say anything, nothing that would make sense..."

Micah leaned next to her, nudging her with a shoulder, "It'll be alright, it's only two days."

She scoffed, "Yeah, only two days of this. Family is everything to her, and I left without even saying goodbye. How could I ever make it up?"

"It wasn't your fault-"

"But I have to pretend it is." Caitlin groaned. "I can't come back after this... once I start to show." She gripped her stomach.

"I don't have any advice for that, beyond my paygrade." He pushed himself upright and stretched, "Gabe was teaching me how to shear sheep... I'll be on it, unless you need anything else from me, Princess."

She slugged his arm lightly, "Don't call me that."

"Geeze, fine." He tromped down the steps, mumbling to himself. The screen door whined open again, and Gabriel came out, nodding with a smile as he followed Micah's path. Caitlin decided, as she watched the farmhand go, to confide in her mother, at least a little.

Inside, Janice scrubbed a pan with murderous intent, "Mom?" the water's steam billowed up as she was ignored, "Mom... can we please talk?"

The pan was tossed down with a clang into the hot water, she gripped the edge of the basin. "Ever since that bastard deserted us, I knew I had to protect you."

"What?" Caitlin asked, Janice had never said anything about her birth father before.

"Your father." She leaned against the counter, "By God, he was phenomenal. No one could keep their eyes off him when he walked into a room. But he wasn't what anyone expected, I didn't know that until afterwards. I was so stupid."

"Who was he?"

"It was more about what he was. They called themselves freedom fighters, but the work they did never made it in the news. He was a leader, everyone respected him, women fawned over him, so I was shocked when he chose me. I didn't particularly care to get entangled in whatever it was he dabbled in, but I couldn't say 'no' either. He... showed me things, too."

Caitlin waited for her mother to say more.

Janice shook her head, "Your father, he... had a way about him. Everything he said was real, whether or not it was true. He created truth around him in his followers. They obeyed without question... I... obeyed without question. By the time I started showing in my pregnancy, he was gone."

"What did he show you?"

"I've tried so hard to forget, honey." Janice lamented, "All I know, is they were trying to create something. To defeat the 'real enemy', is how he always put it."

"What happened after that?"

"I gave birth to you in the city, then I came back to my mother's house, this house. It was the safest place I could think of, in case he wanted to come back and claim you. He never did, maybe he didn't know you existed." Janice pulled away from the tub and gathered Caitlin in her arms, "And then this stranger comes into town and whisks you away. It's like Abraham all over again."

"Abraham." She mouthed the name, "That's my father's name."

"I was afraid to tell you for so long, but now, I realize, that was a mistake. They're still out there, somewhere, and I worry that your Dale is part of their world."

"He isn't..." Caitlin couldn't be sure, but brought her voice to a whisper, "he's royalty... a Prince... oh, mom, there's so much I can't tell you." she squeezed tighter, balling her fists.

"A prince?" Janice asked, pulling back to look in her eyes.

"Don't tell anyone, but that's why I can't stay..." that, Caitlin thought, and his second nature. "He could be in serious danger if anyone knew..."

"And he dragged you into it." She accused, "Just like your father did to us."

Exactly, Caitlin wanted to say, her ever-present belly was a sifting hourglass, three years. "I wish I had more time with you." she whispered.

"Listen here, Caitlin. You do as you damn well please. If you want to come home, come home. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The door is always open, do you hear me? No matter what."

"Yes," she whispered.

"Good," Janice nodded. "Did you want to see a picture of him?"

Caitlin nodded, curious to know how she might resemble her birth-father. She followed her mother to the master bedroom and sat down on the bed.

Janice pulled an innocuous book from her sparse collection and opened it. The image was weathered and yellowed, a black-and-white image stained sepia. "He never liked his picture taken, but he let me do it, once." An impressive figure leaned over a chessboard, moving the King with a dashing, triumphant smile. His hair was darker than blonde, likely closer to Caitlin's color, and she had his cheeks. But there was something else familiar about him that she couldn't quite place.

"Do you know where he is now?"

"Yes and No." Janice sighed, "I know that he's dead, but I don't know where, or why. Someone sent an anonymous postcard." She pulled it out. "It could have been faked, too. But I doubt it." The postcard was generic, tiny lettering declaring Abraham's death. "He and his men lived a brutal life, they killed... things. Monstrous things. One must have gotten the better of him in the end."

Caitlin swallowed, "Do you know what they were?"

Her mother shook her head, "I can't remember anymore, honey. I'm glad I forgot."

Mother and daughter sat in silence for a long while, staring at the picture. Caitlin wanted to tell her everything, from the beginning; about her infatuation with 'Dale', her abduction, the mansion, the city...

Her heart raced, and she stood suddenly. Panic built in her chest.

"What's wrong, Caitlin?" Her mother looked startled.

Taking a shallow breath to slow the shaking in her hands, she tried to explain. It came out incoherent and broken as she fell to her knees. She gripped her hair, trying to forget, trying to stop the past from happening all over again.

A warmness draped over her, holding tight until the heaving slowed. "I'm here, honey." Her mother's voice cooed. "I'm here." Janice unlatched her hands from her tangled hair, "It's okay." Caitlin felt the memory of Kalen's fingers on her palms, she wished he was there with her.

"I'm sorry." She finally said.

"What happened to you?" her mother righted them both.

"In the city... we were coming back from dinner and-" she paused, "there were men waiting, they tried to hurt me..." unable to say more without lapsing, Caitlin looked up at her mother. "Kalen saved me." She didn't realize she'd said his real name until her mother gave a strange look.

"Kalen?"

She clapped a hand over her mouth, shaking her head; mentally kicking herself over the slip.

"This Prince Kalen of yours has some explaining to do." Janice nodded, "taking you away, putting you in danger like that. How can you trust him?"

"Don't say anything," She begged, "you don't- he can't know I told you."

"You're afraid of him."

Caitlin shook her head, "Not for myself. I broke my promise... I should never have come back." She stood up, knees still trembling. "Please don't tell anyone, I don't want- I have to go." For a moment, Caitlin stared at the only person she didn't want to see hurt.

Then she ran.

*

Caitlin didn't know where she was going until she reached the doors of the church. The last time she prayed, she'd begged for protection. Now, all she did was beg forgiveness.

With her knees on the bench of the pew, she scrunched her eyes shut.

Within minutes, Micah burst through the doors, "What the hell is going on?!" he shouted into the empty church, save the two of them. "What happened between you two?"

Before she looked up, another voice chimed in. "Do not disturb the faithful in prayer." Father Elliot's voice rang clear. "Are you lost, my son?"

"I certainly don't need your medicine, crazy fucker. Caitlin, come on. We need to get back." Micah advanced.

She ignored him, "Leave me be."

"No-can-do chickadee." He grabbed her arm.

Another hand peeled away his grip, "The girl has asked for space. You'll respect it under God's roof." Father Elliot said calmly, "Leave, or I will have Gabriel drag you out."

Micah protested further, so Caitlin watched as Gabriel did indeed cart him out, the driver flailing all the while. Father Elliot shut the door firmly and turned to her. "Are you alright, child?"

"No, Father." She bowed her head, "But it is what I've done to my mother that scares me."

"And what is it that you've done?" He asked gently, hunkering down with a touch to her shoulder, hazel eyes watching her without judgment.

She looked at the cross looming over the altar, "I cannot say, unless I wish it upon you, too..."

"I am sworn to secrecy, any confession you may have is between you and God. Don't be afraid, Caitlin. You are safe here." Father Elliot was level to her, open and accepting.

"God has nothing to do with this, certainly, I am ruined." She whispered.

"But you came here, anyway. To beg forgiveness of Him." Father Elliot pointed out, "There is still something inside of you that wishes for redemption."

"Not for me," she shook her head, "my choice has been taken, but for the one's I've hurt, the ones that will suffer because of me." Caitlin touched her stomach, "For what I will create."

Father Elliot missed nothing, "You are with child."

"It's not just a child..."

"Do you know who the father is?"

She did not answer; the Priest would be dead before sunrise if she told him.

"You are afraid of what the child will become." He concluded, "There is always a choice, Caitlin, in the darkest of night." Father Elliot placed a hand over her shoulder, "You only need search for it."

"Not for me. There never was... I could never-"

"A child is pure in the eyes of God, they have done nothing wrong by existing." The Father petitioned, "It is a miracle."

"You wouldn't say that if you knew. What if Lucifer himself were the father, would you fight for its right to life then?" She could hide behind the metaphor, keeping the Father safe.

"Even he was God's most beloved, once. We don't know what He has planned, only that we are His disciples. No human can know the mind of the Almighty."

Caitlin didn't know what she wanted from the Father. If she told the truth, he might sing a different tune, "And what about vampires?" she whispered.

Her sacrilegious comment silenced the Priest.

Behind them, both the church doors slammed open. Roiling black smoke plumed off the figure in the archway. Caitlin stared at him, her mouth drying at the sight.

Fury darkened Kalen's eyes, half his face was puckered from exposure to the sun.

"What do you want here, demon?" Father Elliot shielded Caitlin.

Kalen disappeared from the doorway, the stench of burning flesh assaulted her nostrils. "No." she breathed as familiar arms circled her, quickly snatching her from the Father Elliot's hold.

"Get out, Priest." Kalen snarled as she gripped his shirt, afraid to look at him.

"Unhand her," Father Elliot did not give up, "and back to hell with you!" A rosary came out of his robes and he held the cross up.

"Your god has no power over me, human. Go before I change my mind." Kalen's teeth had emerged, frightening the Priest.

Father Elliot crossed himself before shooting Caitlin a piteous glance and stumbling into the sunlight. She was deposited to the ground and Kalen closed and barred the door.

Caitlin could see his shoes, smell the crisp of skin. "I'm sorry."

The silence was worse than his anger, he went to the back entrance and leaned a chair under the handle. She couldn't look up, couldn't face his fury.

"Please don't hurt them." She begged, hands clasped over her head, "It was my fault."

Kalen still didn't say anything as he drew the curtains over the windows.

Caitlin shuddered, bent over her knees with her forehead on the cold stone, when his hand touched her back, she almost cried out.

"We are leaving." Kalen's voice was impassive.

Drawing herself to her knees, she nodded, hair falling over her eyes. She did not belong here anymore. When they returned, she would face Kalen's wrath and accept her fate.

*

Nightfall hadn't arrived when Micah drove the wagon to the entrance. Kalen had her firmly by the neck, leading her into it as one of many clouds passed over the sun.

She climbed in and he followed after, his face still charred from the light.

The Priest was long gone as Micah lashed the horse into a trot. If she hadn't been so stupid, hadn't let her emotions get in the way... but she'd done this to herself. There was no going back, no way Kalen would forgive her.

Within the wagon, he bound her wrists to the frame with rope. Refusing to look at her, he instead focused on his task until she could not get loose. Kalen tugged on the cord to be certain, and then put his back to her without sentiment.

Somewhere, it seemed, Micah had produced a long box. Kalen stepped inside and closed the lid, using it as a makeshift coffin to stop the sunlight from burning him further. Caitlin leaned her forehead against the frame and closed her eyes.

As Bailey trotted out of town, she thought she heard someone call her name; wind whipped away the sound before she could tell.

Micah said nothing to her, she was a prisoner again, this time of her own design. If her mother hadn't badgered her, or Father Elliot had let her be, this never would have happened. Caitlin couldn't really blame them, though, of course they had questions; she was just a terrible liar.

After an hour of travel, daylight turned into twilight, and the sounds of animals came alive in the low shrubs.

Kalen did not emerge from his confines; the rope around her wrists told her everything she needed to know. He couldn't trust her.

Caitlin was becoming physically uncomfortable, and tried to adjust her body to lessen the twinge in her back. She looped a leg into a small space between the frame and where Micah sat, finding a position that hurt less.

It would still be hours before they reached the mansion; she was glad no one from the town had decided to pursue them. Kalen wouldn't show them mercy.

Outside, Bailey let out a whinny and halted; the wagon shuddered to a stop.

Micah tried to settle the horse with words, but the horse refused to move. Caitlin felt Bailey rear through the framework and heard Micah curse.

The long box opened at the same time the wagon toppled over, pinning her securely between two frames. Kalen moved too fast for her to see, disappearing into the darkness as the pressure nearly broke her ribs. She couldn't breathe.

Dollops of flame danced beyond the curtains, and men shouted orders. She thought she heard Micah yell before a strike silenced him.

"There he is!" a gruff voice screamed, "Shoot him!" Many shots were fired, echoing across the plain. She could not tell if any hit their mark.

If Kalen escaped the gunfire, he'd left her behind to suffocate under the mounting weight.

More shouting echoed around her, and the carriage began to move again, shifting. Kalen had done an excellent job of lashing her to the post, and she would not escape the vice. Caitlin was losing consciousness, the frame pressed into her sternum with the empty long box threatening to collapse it. With a last breath, she tried to scream; only a heaving exhale escaped.

Then the pressure disappeared, and through her foggy view, she saw someone cut the rope, "It's her." A familiar tone said, "Let's get her somewhere safe."

12