All Comments on 'The Proper Thing To Do'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
Test56Test56about 1 year ago

Short&sweet and down to earth western. The story builds up nice in the two first "pages" but then escalates quickly from that, the end feels slightly rushed compared to the level of detail in the beginning but it is still well written.

ender2k2kender2k2kabout 1 year ago

I really enjoyed this piece with the historical setting. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Your excellent stories are coming really quickly. The quality certainly isn't suffering. Nothing like a good old western. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

"The Union Troops then marched the captives into St. Louis in order to parole them in front of the public."??

Wouldn't that have been - "The Union Troops then marched the captives into St. Louis in order to PARADE them in front of the public."?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Awesome Story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I love Westerns.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

A carpetbagger bites the dust!

mildcolonialboymildcolonialboyabout 1 year ago

A nicely handled romance. I liked the description of the coach ride and arriving at the town, gave a good sense of the time and place. I would have liked her to continue as a school teacher, but I guess being a stay at home mother would have been more likely at that time. To the anon below with the comment about parole or parade. The incident referred is well know in Missouri civil war history. They were to be paroled, as was common practice in the civil war. Like Samuel in the story, my great, great grandfather joined the Missouri State Guard after that incident.

JayDavidJayDavidabout 1 year ago

Good story, but after a nice setup, it rushed to a conclusion. I wish that you had let it play out a little more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

this is the first of your stories iv read and I enjoyed it

going to read more thanks

reader1000reader1000about 1 year ago

Flawless. Good backstories. Strong characters, good plot, though a bit rushed at end. Excellent time and place development and ambience, even including the marital night activities and attitudes. Well done! Thanks.

Ravey19Ravey19about 1 year ago

Good story with some very good sections IMO. The stage coach ride and descriptions sounded authentic as did the situation in Lelant under Ellington and I loved the ending conversation between Juan and Big Sam. Would have liked to see you write more on the grittier side of life under Ellington so we had even less sympathy for him and perhaps getting rid of him could have been more prolonged. Still 5 ⛤.

burningloveburningloveabout 1 year ago

I've always enjoyed reading your stories!

Satisfying end!

***** stars!

Burning Love

LowcountryLowcountryabout 1 year ago

Good stuff! I really like your style…so much so that I wish your stories were longer.

OvercriticalOvercritical9 months ago

Reminds me of the stories of the West from Max Brand, Zane Grey and Louis Lamour. A little corny and always with a happy ending, but good fun. 4*

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I love the descriptions of Big Sam and Little Lizzy. I imagine when Lizzy strokes Sam's chest, she is running her soft fingers through his chest hair -- he is a wonderful man, and they make a great frontier couple!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Another masterpiece from the Master of Romance.

It is writer's like ronde that make this a place to find a great story.

The Hoary Cleric from Down Under

Not a Member

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

story TAGS