The Red Ledger Vol. 03 - The End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We did an intelligence sweep and gathered all kinds of correspondence. Then I came upon a laptop that looked like they had tried to destroy. They had not done an effective job. I took the battery pack out and shoved the laptop into my backpack.

##################################################################################

When we got back to the compound, Army intelligence and the CIA were all over it. They booted up the computer and downloaded all the files. Then they pulled the battery again, and then the hard drive and shipped them off to Langley.

I got the opportunity to sit in on the debrief and the translation of all the documents.

They detailed upcoming ops against the government of Ethiopia and all the allied forces in the country.

In particular, was a plot to kidnap the Ambassador's wife and family, and my family. I freaked out, and called my watchdogs who were shadowing Ami.

I told them to be on guard because there were indications that the bad guys might try something.

They said they were ready.

I was finishing some paperwork when the alarm went off. Somewhere was an enemy planning something bad. (So much for military intelligence.) I broke for the briefing room.

The CIA liaison spelled it out. They had intercepted radio signals from Isis to Bok Haram and Isis was moving on the Embassy. Bok Haram was to attack various government ministers and their families. Trying to make this personal.

Colonel Singelton addressed the Green Berets.

"The Marines will be responsible for defense of the Ambassador and his family, and security for the Embassy.

"Major Linger will take Able company and move to defend the Finance Minister's residence in support of Ethiopian infantry.

"Captain Forsane will take Baker company and deploy to the residence of the Minister of Medicine." The Colonel raised his eyes and smiled at Donald. 'Nothing like giving him a little added incentive,' he thought.

"Captain Groton will take Charlie company and move to protect the airport in case we need it. The fly boys will support where ever needed. Any questions?"

None where raised and the men left to move out with their troops.

The Bradleys left the compound and moved out through the city. It was the middle of the afternoon.. Donald tried to raise Ami, but only got voice mail. He knew that she was taking the kids to her parents after she got off her shift, but he thought she should have been there already. He pushed it to the back of his mind, and focused on the mission.

They arrived at his in-laws and set up a defensive perimeter. The Minister arrived with his protective detail and they moved up and replaced the Green Berets at key positions. Donald's father-in-law sought him out and immediately noticed his son-in-law's tension. He knew he was too good a soldier to think that it was the possible coming attack. Professor Kashime walked up to Donald.

"Have you heard from her?"

"No, sir, I have not." Donald's gaze was focused down the street. But his eyes were a million miles away, and they were starting to tear up.

"And I can't go and look for them, sir. GOD DAMMIT, HOW I WANT TO!"

He stared at his son-in-law.

"She is a good person. God will protect them. And your son is with his mother. She will be safe." He smiled at Donald.

"Dad, he's only five years old."

"He is his father's son. I have every confidence in him. Besides, the children have their mother. The Lioness of Ethiopia is her guide." He smiled and held my shoulder.

"You are a man and a soldier. Do your job, as you always have. God will provide." He smiled at me and squeezed my shoulder.

Just then the radio crackled. 'Captain, activity around the corner, north of the compound. At least four vehicles, and gunfire.'

Newly promoted Sergeant Davis ran up, and said, to the Minister, "Sir, you better get inside."

"Thank you, Sergeant. My guards and I will try to back you up. I'm not so old that I can't pull my own weight. .........

He grinned. "Besides, it will get my wife's motor running, after she 'chews me out', as you American's say."

I slapped his shoulder and turned to the Sergeant. "Deploy the strike team and get the Law's ready."

Sergeant Davis looked me in the eye."Don't worry, sir, they'll be fine."

He tossed off a salute and started baking orders.

The Green Beanies moved out and hunkered down in the prepared redoubts. The two M- 60 machine guns set up, and covered the street. We no sooner got settled when three vehicles careened around the corner and headed for the compound.

The lead vehicle was a white Mercedes. OUR white Mercedes. It was running on two tires, and two shredded tires, with the two passenger side wheels shedding chunks of rubber and sparks.

It was followed by two pick-ups with bed-mounted.50 caliber machine guns attempting to stop the car. As they raced down the street, the Mercedes was smoking and bucking. And there, at the wheel, was my gorgeous wife, swerving and bouncing from side to side.

"GET THE PICKUPS!" I yelled.

The two M-60s opened up and first one, then the other truck disintegrated into wreckage. My men and I dashed forward and the surviving bad guys weren't surviving anymore.

Suddenly a large Dodge dump truck came around the corner. At least 8 men were in the armored bed, along with two more.50 cals.

I dropped to my knee as Ami managed to get past me before the Mercedes gasped its last. One of her two guards limped out of the passenger door, his left arm hanging limply while he fired his AR-15 with his right.

He went to the back seat and pulled his severely wounded comrade out and they went to the front of the car. Ami jumped out and got our kids out of the back drivers side door, and hustled them towards the waiting arms of the other Green Berets.

Meanwhile, I unslung the LAW and pulled the caps off the front and back, sighted at the engine compartment, and fired.

The anti-tank round streaked to the truck, and it ceased to be a problem. I got up and turned to get back to the compound.

That's when I noticed the wet feeling on the right side of my body armor. 'Oh, shit,' I thought. 'Now I'm gonna get chewed out.'

It was a little worse the my original war wound when I had rescued Ami.

As I made it to the barricade, my daughter saw me. "DADDY!" she screamed. Ami looked at me and she paled. But it was my five year old son who tore away from everyone and ran to my side. He reached up and grabbed my waist.

"Careful, daddy."

That's when Ami got to me, and grabbed my gun side. She looked up at me, and the tears were already starting. Keeping in character, I looked at her and grinned through the pain.

"AHH, WHAT'S up, Doc??" I chuckled at her.

Saved. She almost collapsed, and hugged me harder.

She slugged my shoulder. "YOU DUMB-ASS IDIOT. Who were you trying to impress?"

I smiled at her.

"You, always."

Then my guys got to me and moved me inside. The medics took over, (along with my personal physician!) and it was determined I would live. My daughter would not leave me, and my son was ready to defend the building. He kept telling everyone, "That's my Dad," and pointing to me.

There were a few more probing attacks, and we had pulled back the perimeter a little. They dispatched some Ethiopian airborne troops, and sent a helicopter gun ship, but by seven p.m., the 'festivities' were over.

My wife forgave me, after I promised not to give her a hard time about wrecking the car.

It still aches where she slugged my shoulder.

My troops came up with a spare Green Beret and my son became an instant hit with my men.

We were evacuated to the hospital. They patched me up, and I was awarded my second purple heart. That was also when I got promoted to Major, and ordered to report to Southern Command at Doral, Florida.

So here we are in present time.

My Grandmother had passed away, and never got a chance to see her great-grandchildren. My mother seems to have changed her attitude about her two children. I think it has something to do with my sister's hooking up with this MARINE.

(Where did I go wrong?)

It turns out we are rotating stateside just in time for a wedding.

Seems like her prick husband was cheating on her. He was killed in a car accident with his girlfriend, who just happened to be the wife of the Marine.

Celeste had inherited his Mercedes Benz dealership, and formed a relationship with the mechanic who worked there, who was the unsuspecting husband of the tramp. She was pregnant with their first and only child, and they kept her alive to deliver the child. A boy.

This guy seems like straight shooter. (Maybe a little dense, but decent. After all, he is a Marine.)

I was on my way to the Ambassador's office. He had sent for me and insisted on no leaks to the 'boss'. So I didn't say anything to my wife.

I arrived at the Ambassador's office and was ushered right in.

The Ambassador rose and shook my hand, told me congratulations again, and told me to have a seat.

"Major, we are going to miss you. But you deserve this. You have been here twelve years, and have made a great difference in the lives of the people here. I have expressed as much to the Department of the Army, and to Southern Command.

"I've also spoken to State, and they are going to watch you also. You are good man, Major. Your country, and your family are lucky to have you."

I was floored.

"Thank you, sir. I am flattered that you think so much of me. I will try to live up to your expectations."

He smiled. "If you get tired of the military, give me a call. I'm sure we can find something in the Diplomatic community."

"Again, sir, thank you."

"Enjoy your time at home, and give my regards to your parents." He rose, and shook my hand again.

So my family and I left for Ramstein Air Force Base, on our way back to the States. We changed our destination to Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and my kids were all over the terminal. My wife was pensive about our arrival. She had only been to Paris, France, and to Greece.

Now I was dragging her to the United States.

More importantly, to TEXAS.

Twelve hours and thirty-two minutes in the air. My kids will be ready to take over the plane by the time we get to Houston. Turns out Ami was more concerned with seeing Celeste again, then with coming to the States. She turned to me after about three hours in the air.

"My Darling, we need to talk."

OH, shit. What did I do now?

"What's wrong, love? Did I do something? Or not do something?"

"No, dearest. It is your sister." She looked me in the eye, and sighed.

"What did Celeste say?"

"Nothing, my dearest. Actually, it's me, too."

O.K. I hate it when she messes with my head like this.

"Just tell me what's wrong, baby."

My strong, tough, beautiful wife started to sniffle, and then cry, burying her face in my chest.

Our children came and sat on our laps.

It's a good thing we were in first class. People were staring to notice the sadness.

"Why is mommy crying, daddy?" My daughter was on the verge of tears too. My son was holding his mother's hand and looked totally lost.

"It's o.k., guys. Mom is just a little sad about leaving Grandmother and Grandpa. We will make Mom happy again. And in a little while, we will get Grandma Fatima and Grandpa Aaron to come see us in America."

Ami pulled her head up and sniffled, and smiled at her children as she hugged them.

"That's not it, my darling."

I stared at her. "BABE, WHAT'S WRONG?" I asked.

She sniffled again, and said,"You are going to be a father again, my darling. And we are going to see your family and your sister will know. She will be heartbroken."

I was stunned. Number 3? WOW!

"When?" I asked.

"I am two months along. You just can't control yourself, can you?". She smiled, and sniffed some more.

"I don't want to hurt your sister. She has had such a hard time."

Ami didn't know the whole story.

"Babe, WE have to talk."

She looked at me with a confused expression on her face. I threw her that shit-eating grin that I so seldom got to use around her, the one when I finally got to put one over on her.

"Celeste is in seventh heaven. She and Shawn are going to get married. We will arrive for the festivities and we will have a great visit before I have to report to So Com in Florida. You might want to stay awhile, and have a good time. I don't think anyone will be looking to kill me in Florida."

'I hope,' he thought.

"And she is head over heels with her adopted son, and soon to be husband.

"She will be just as happy for you as you will be for her. And it will probably be pretty soon before she is sporting a baby bump, too."

Ami started to cry. Then she started to bawl. She buried her head in my chest, and crushed me to her. She raised her head and looked at me.

"We are so lucky, to have each other and our children."

"You are right, sweets. I am the luckiest guy in the world."

So we all sacked out, and fell asleep. Six hours into the trip, I was poked awake by my eight year old daughter.

"What's the matter, princess?"

"YOUR SON wants to talk to you."

NOW WHAT?

I looked across to the other side of the cabin. My boy was smiling at me, and motioning to the seat his sister had just vacated.

I extricated my left arm from my wife's shoulders and moved to his side.

"Hey, champ, what's up??"

"Can we talk for a minute, daddy?"

"Sure, buddy."

He had grown up a lot since the attack. I missed the happy go lucky child he had been, but his new found maturity was very cool.

He looked over at his mother snuggled in her seat, wrapped in a Lufthansa blanket. She was snoring that little snore she made when she was sleeping soundly and peacefully. The kids used to make fun of her, until Grandmother said that actually, it was mommy talking to the angels about her family. She said all mothers did it when they were happy.

The kids thought that was neat. A few more years, and it would be a neat little family story, to be shared with family and friends. But for now they held their mother in awe when it occurred.

My son looked at me and started. "Daddy, were you scared when the bad guys were chasing us?"

I looked at him, swallowed, and said, "Hell, yes, son. I was scared shitless."

I had been expecting this conversation for a while now. The shrink at the Embassy had said that he would bring it up when he was ready, and in her opinion, 'Honesty was the best policy'.

His eyes were like saucers. "But Dad, you were so calm and cool. You just ......... shot the guys."

I looked at him. I wished he was the little five year old boy he was before the attack, and was asking me why girls were so 'yucky'.

But it is what it is.

"Son, I was doing my job. I did not like shooting those guys. You never really do. But my job was to protect your mom, you and your sister, and your grandparents. That's what had to be done." I was getting ready to give him my favorite John Wayne line- 'A man's got to do what a man's got to do.'

That's when I noticed that #1 daughter had joined our little 'campfire'.

"Daddy, you saved our lives. We love you. But you almost got killed," she said.

O.K., this was way too serious.

"But I wasn't, was I? Princess, your mother and I have this talk all the time. It is my job. I always try to be careful. But I have a job to do.

"When we were waiting for you guys to get to your grandparents, I was worried. I was scared. I was afraid I would never see you guys again. I wanted to leave and find you. I told Grandpa that I felt helpless. He told me that God would watch out for you, and I should just do my job. And he is mommy's father. But he is also a man, and knows what that means."

I looked at my kids, and grabbed them both, and hugged them. They started to squirm, and then they relented and hugged me back. Then they started to sniffle.

"I know you don't completely understand, but you will. Just know that I will do everything in my power to be around for a long time, and" then I started to tickle them both, "make your lives miserable."

They disintegrated into laughter, and wound up falling asleep in my arms.

Ten and a half hours into the trip, the flight attendant came around and asked if we would like some breakfast. She said she could use some help in the galley if the kids would like to help. The two of them leapt up and looked at me.

"Just be careful," I said.

They raced forward and soon were helping with the food.

Their mother stretched and yawned like a sexy cat. She looked across at me and smiled.

"Where are my children, ....... and can we get away before they get back?"

I broke out in laughter, and got up and went to sit with her. I relayed the conversation we had had.

She frowned slightly, and looked at me.

"They are too young to be that old" she whispered.

I squeezed her hand and kissed her forehead.

"They are our children. This will soon be a distant memory. It will make them stronger in the long run, and we will be there for them, love."

The pilot came over the intercom. "Ladies and gentlemen, we are beginning our descent into Texas airspace, and anticipate arrival in Houston in approximately two and a half hours. Thank you."

My daughter brought a cup of tea to her mother, and I got coffee from my son. The cabin attendant brought coffee cakes, and sat with us for a moment.

"Major, you and your wife have amazing children." She turned to Ami.

"They told me about what happened, doctor, and I am in awe. They also bragged about your driving skills, and your husband 'shooting up the bad guys,' they said."

She chuckled and stood and said, "You both should be very proud." She reached down and took Ami's hand.

"And congratulations on number three." She looked at me with a seductive grin. "Lucky girl", she whispered to Ami. I almost didn't hear her.

She turned and sashayed her way up the aisle to the galley.

Ami's gaze followed her, as did mine. She caught me and slugged my arm (again).

'Behave yourself,' she whispered.

Dumb shit look again."Who, ME?" I said.

She giggled and shook her head.

We filled out our customs declarations and made ourselves presentable.

The pilot came on the intercom and told everyone to take their seats. Th big 747 broke through the cloud cover, and hydraulics screamed, flaps came out, the power was pulled back and the landing gear came out.

Our kids were bouncing around and pointing out the windows.

"Daddy, look at this" and "Look at that."

The earth came into view as the aircraft banked to the right, straightened up, and kissed the overrun on the numbers, emitting a squeak and a moan. Then, as the nose gear came into contact with the runway, the reversers roared and the aircraft slowed, and made the second turnoff, taxiing to the terminal.

The big Lufthansa plane pulled up to Terminal "E" and the engines died.

"Kids, welcome to TEXAS!" I announced. Immediately people stood and jostled to the hatchway to deplane.

We waited and finally most of first class was emptied and we stood up to get our carry-ons and made our way off.

As we came out of the doorway, there was only a small crowd. But there was as huge, handmade banner that proclaimed-

"WELCOME HOME DONALD AND AMI, AND AMI AND DONALD!!!"

Beneath it were six ecstatic people, cheering, screaming, and crying, and clapping for all they were worth-- Celeste, Shawn, Shawn Junior, Donald Senior, Samantha, and Grandpa Hugh.

HOMECOMING, and THE FINISH

Ami stared, and her mouth opened and closed. She walked forward and was met by Celeste. The two women embraced and kissed each other's cheeks. They hugged and cried.

"You're pregnant," said Celeste.

Ami's eyes widened and she said,"How did you know?"

"You are glowing; and Donald is smirking. What do you think?"