The Renaissance Man Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When his kitchen fire happened because of an electrical short while he was away, I had helped him take the cupboards out. I took the old ones home with his help and the wooden table set. Together we rebuilt his kitchen from scratch, and I worked after school trying to restore his old ones. I used the old-world methods he had used on small spots needing restoring in a big way. Although it had taken a long time it had worked. I was able to bring most of it back to what it had been before.

One weekend I brought over one of the refinished doors to show him how it now looked. It was the first time I had ever seen him cry. When I asked him, what was wrong he said nothing these are tears of joy because the 'student has become the master.'

"When I die, I will go knowing that the skills and knowledge I have will live on in one who will do even better things with it," Peter said. "In life, there is no greater compliment to a man than to know his knowledge will be in another's hands who will treasure it as he did."

Trish knew I was being emotional and said, "Are they good memories going through your mind or bad?"

I quietly replied, "Both, if it wasn't for the man he was, I wouldn't be the man I am today. Every piece of furniture I have restored or anything I made with wood has been made whole because of the gift of knowledge from him."

Trish looked at me for a few without saying anything then said. "He was more a father figure to you than any man in your life. I wonder if he knew it?"

As soon as I started backing my flat deck into the driveway Amy and both her parents had come outside to greet us.

Em recognized me right away and had to give me a big sisterly hug. After greeting they led me to the chest. Em handed me the old skeleton key and I opened it up after pulling it out. Lifting off the top everyone was surprised that it consisted of ten layers of flat trays that pulled out. Someone had wrapped the handwritten letter for me in a zip lock bag. I gave it to Trish to hold. The tools were in pristine condition.

"Em, I watched your father design one of these, then fabricate the shape with metal. It took days to make one. It was my job to keep the fires burning as he heated the iron. Each one was designed to make the impossible possible." I said. "To me they are invaluable. Before I even dare to use even one of these again. Each one will be photographed, measured, and its pattern laid out. So that I can make another the same way he did if it breaks. Each of these tools is designed to do a particular type of carving. All of them give depth and detail to them."

"The chest is so unique," Amy said. "Can the years of dust and dirt be removed?"

"Not all of it," I replied "On this, I will soak it down with Murphy's Oil Soap two or three times to clean it. What will be left behind is just Fatima gained by age. I believe the last time these tools were used was in the creating of the bust of your grandfather."

I locked the chest back up, Em's husband helped me drag and load it on the flat deck. We chatted for a few as I tied it down. The chest with all the tools in had to weigh about a hundred pounds.

Em led us in to see the bust of her father. Trish could not believe how detailed it was. I was proud of how good it still looked. I pointed out things on it that could only be created by the tools I had just inherited.

"It's still an eye-catcher after all these years, I can't believe at the time how much of him you captured in it," Em said. "Those who see it for the first time ask who he is? I proudly tell the story of who made it, and why."

"All things work out better when there created out of love," I said softly.

We went into the kitchen, I read the letter out loud as Em made a pot of fresh coffee.

Dear Albert: The day I met you changed my life for it gave mine a purpose again. I felt old, you made me feel young. When your grandfather showed up it answered a lot of questions about you, for me. That day I asked him if I could adopt you from them. He said no, he wanted you to pay for what your father had done. I threatened to have him charged with the willful abandonment of a minor child that day. It forced him to negotiate with me.

That is why you were ultimately allowed to spend most of your time with me. Em has told me you left our home in pristine condition. Although because of your grandfather mule headedness I was never allowed to call you my son. In my eyes you are and always will be. When you came to say goodbye, it tore me apart when you said, 'My new name is James Scott Tait.' After you left, I cried and cried. I had never been prouder in my life. I love you son, Dad.

I guess I had tears in my eyes. I know Trish, Em, and Amy did. Em came over to me and hugged me tight and said. "I guess I finally got the brother I always wanted."

It took us all a while to calm down. It allowed me to tell them all a few of my most memorable times with Peter some of them quite humorous. Em asked her daughter to scan the letter into the computer so she could send it to her three sisters. She wanted her sister to know just how close I was with their father and how he had felt about me.

"Amy, I think it would be okay to show your parents your birthday present from me," I said.

Amy went upstairs and got the cards and put the book back in the gift box it was in. She brought it back downstairs.

"After a three-hour lunch today with Trish and Scott I went back to work. Scott took this into Helen's office. At closing today Helen gave me the card and box in a little gift bag." Amy said. "It contained an invitation to a book launch party and their wedding. I will let you open the gift box mom."

We all watched Em open the top of the gift box to see my new book, "Amy, Scott is your favorite author no wonder you came home floating on air."

"And now as far as I am concerned, he's my Uncle," Amy said firmly.

"Amy your parent's invitations will be in Helen's hands-on Monday," I said.

When we got home, Trish made us each a large hot chocolate. I sat at the bar counter and reread the letter.

"If Mom hadn't asked you for a favor this truth would have never come out," Trish said. "It's going to take you a while to adjust to this new revelation. How do you feel?"

"Like a part of me has been made complete," I said. "Does that make sense?"

"Very much so, that letter is his blessing for you taking his name. and finally recognizing you for what you were." Trish said. "His gifting his most valued possession to him is his way of passing the torch on to you along with his love for the one in all ways was his son."

That night I held onto Trish tight. I talked she listen as I told her all about the man who from this day would be called my dad. I think I talked to her until she went to sleep.

Saturday was going to be another crazy day for us. Helen had drawn the name for the winner of the contest. I was going to deliver it to the person myself. Trish insisted that she was going with me.

------------------

We arrived at Aunt Shelia's and Uncle Eve's grand ballroom to see how the set up for the event was going. Helen and Amy were busy organizing the event. I was surprised they had brought in copies of every book I had written in case someone wanted to buy one. It surprised Helen when Amy called me Uncle Scott. I learned that today was the major set up, tomorrow the ladies in red would be coming to unpack the cases of books and build the displays of them. Along with setting up the promotional items

Amy took me around the whole building explaining how the layout would be throughout. That's when I learned that there was going to be close to three hundred flying in from New York in chartered planes. Amy introduced me to the staff and workers as her uncle as if she'd been doing it all her life.

Trish had expected Amy's reaction and had photocopied Dad's letter to me. While I was with her, she explained everything to her mother after she read a copy of the letter. The set I needed to deliver was in the trunk of her car along with the direction to get there. Trish had to promise to get pictures and text them to her. Once we got it from her off, we went.

It was a two-hour drive back into the county roads an hour from Cape straight towards Festus. Getting off the interstate instead of going right we headed left going in about thirty miles. Thanks to Google Maps we were directed right to their door.

The house was nothing to write about. It definitely has seen better years. Yet the yard was neatly kept. That told me that for this family that money was tight. They did what they had to survive. Leaving to live with what they could afford to do. Not sure of what we might be facing I had Trish wait in the car as I approached their front door. Knocking I waited for a response.

A young lady about seventeen answered the door. I explained why we had come, and the girl invited us in. I waved to Trish and she joined me. The young lady led us to the kitchen where the family was busy trying to get the propane stove working. It was an older model that I knew well. I was surprised it was still being used.

"What's wrong with the stove," I asked.

"It doesn't seem to be getting the propane," her father said. "Even though the tank was filled a couple of days ago."

"That model has a built-in regulator in the back that controls the opening and the closing of the valves," I explained as I rolled up my sleeves after taking off my coat. "Let's pull it out and take a look at it."

"My name is Jack, and my wife is Caroline, who are you, and what are you doing here?" he said as we pulled the stove out from the wall.

So, I explained about the contest someone had entered for a set of the works of a certain author and we were here to deliver it to the winner. I then said," My name is Scott, and this is my fiancé Trish."

The young lady who answered the door said, "That was me I entered it and put grandma's name on it.

After climbing in behind the stove and removing the back panel I asked for a cloth to wipe the dust that had collected off and a water spray bottle.

After cleaning off the dust I sprayed a little water above the regulator and discovered there was no flow.

"Jack shut off the tank, were going to have to open the regulator. It can be fixed temporary but will have to be replaced," I said. "What I am going to do will last about five to six months, but it can't be done again because of how this model is made."

I explained and showed Jack the inner parts of the regulator. After getting a hairpin from his wife he watched me using pinchers cut it to size and screw it in place. It would act like the original one did but the wear and tear on it were so fine it would end up blocking the valve below making it unworkable. To replace the regulator would cost about seventy dollars.

"These stoves were built to last," I said as I screwed the back panel on. "My Dad and I had one on the farm. I learned that trick from him. How much land do you have and what are you doing with it?"

"A hundred and seventy-five acres and we raise beef for the market for the most part and do some mixed farming."

"That's what we did till he died," I said in honesty.

While his wife was making coffee Jack and I went back to my explorer and got the box that contained the ten books. We talked. He thanked me for saving them a repair call that they couldn't afford at this time. They were cutting back where they could to help their granddaughter start university next September as she wanted to become a nurse practitioner. I asked him where she hoped to attend. He told me where she'd been accepted but was taking a year off working to give her an emergency fund when money got tight.

He carried the box while I grabbed a second bag and we went back in. Caroline was surprised when she opened up the box. Ten hard covered books all in pristine condition.

"This is the official invitation for the launch party of his latest book being held in Cape next Tuesday if you would like to attend please feel free to bring your whole family if you wish." I said, "Formal attire is not necessary. I realize it is short notice but due to circumstances beyond our control we were not able to do this earlier."

Caroline looked at her husband Jack as he looked back then he said, "We wish we could be we have obligations that night that we can't get out of, otherwise we would have gladly attended"

"I was afraid of that," I said. "So, to compensate for our failure please take this."

Caroline took the bag I had carried in and opened it up to discover my newest title in it. She took it out and gasped in surprise. "How can you do this?"

"Turn the book over and look at the back cover," Trish said. "When we took that picture, I didn't even have a clue what it was for."

Caroline turned it over the Granddaughter said, "This is unbelievable. This never happens in real life."

I laughed, and said, "That what my future mother in law said when she found out. Caroline opens up the envelope."

Caroline opened the envelope and discovered the wedding invitation and five thousand in cash.

"Use the money to outfit yourselves in a way you feel you need to for the day and to pay for your expenses to stay in a hotel overnight," Trish said. "The only condition Caroline is that you have to promise to dance with my husband that night."

I looked over at Caroline and Jack's granddaughter and said, "We expect you to be in attendance for the event too young lady. As my dad always said tough time don't last tough people do."

Jack walked back with Trish and me to our car. After thanking us he asked me, "How did you know we couldn't afford to go."

"I lost my parents when I was seven. The man who took me in did the same thing you are doing with your granddaughter. Sacrificing everything to give her, her dream. How is she related to you?"

"Kristy is my Son's daughter they died in a car accident a few years back. After paying off their debts there wasn't much left," Jack said. "What was, will be used towards her education."

___________________

Monday night I flew into New York, Pat and I were scheduled for the final hour of Fox and Friends Tuesday morning. Pat and I handled it gracefully. I had to explain why I had not allowed my name to be revealed until now. When I said I had chosen to keep it secret because I wanted to be sure the lady I fell in love with, loved me for being me and not for my money.

In less than an hour later, I was on my way home. Trish watched it live while she was at work. The staff had lots of questions for her, as a result, the day went past fast. With the revelation of my identity out the head of Human Resources and the Chief finical officer were forced to resign. The Chairman of the Board held them personally accountable for the loss of the MCC grant.

At eight pm the doors opened, the ladies in the red book club were dressed to the nines all wearing red full-length dresses and red hats. I could not have asked for a group of better hosts. Copies of my new book were on eight different display tables stocked to the max through the ballroom. Two more tables were filled with copies of my other ten. The bar was open the drinks were being poured and the finger food was being sampled. Trish arrived about half an hour later because she had to go home and get changed.

Aunt Sheila and Uncle Eve were walking around with their pride pushing out of the chests. A reporter and a new crew were doing interviews. The ladies in Reds Husbands were no longer making fun of the book club. When the Ladies got asked by their spouses how long they had known. The had replied friends don't tell friends secrets was their answer.

Em, her husband, her sisters and their husbands all showed up. Helen's boss was stunned to learn that I was going to becoming her son in law and that I was Amy's uncle. Between eight and eleven at night we had over five hundred attendings. I ended up signing copies of my books until my fingers got sore. By the time the evening was over most of the ten other titles of my books that had been brought in where sold.

Trish had to get a group photo of the Tait side of the family along with their full names and addresses. In a private moment, they had presented me with two photo albums filled with family pictures. Quite a few were of family events that I had attended with Peter over the years.

Pat and I talked. Pat stated, "You've created a curiosity factor that is going to further the sales of your book even more. Have you thought how it's going to affect your job with the Attorney General going forward?"

"Trish and I have discussed it," I said. "She is leaving the hospital at the end of the month. My niece Amy has given me some very good insights about sequels for my first ten books that I will discuss further with you after the wedding. Getting married is making me realize that I need to bring a balance I haven't had into my life."

"I think the world of Trish," Pat said. "She's mellowed you and took away some of your edges. Tearstained Buttercup Eyes in my eyes is the best you have ever written. It's also the longest by twenty-two pages. Any idea when I can expect the next one."

I laughed, and said, "I've been working on it since you accepted the last one. If it goes as planned it should be in your email by the end of February."

----------------------

The grand ballroom looked stunning. Trish and I were doing a tour with Shelia and Eve. Sitting for five hundred was set up at tables set towards the sides of the great room. A red carpet had been rolled out and was in place for the bridal party to walk down. Our guests would be escorted to their assigned table. Chairs were set up so all at the tables had a clear view of the wedding ceremony.

The stage front had been opened up and the hidden steps pulled out. A huge arbor in which the minister would stand in front was done in red and white poinsettia's. Hanging down from the top of the arch was a sign that said Chapel of Love. It had been built on wheels for easy removal.

In half an hour the rest of the troop would be here for the rehearsal. The ladies in the Red book club had created an atmosphere that was outstanding. They had combined the spirit of the wedding reception and Christmas into one.

The grand piano had been moved off to the side. Once the arbor was rolled out the band hired for the night would set up after the curtain came down. The steps would be slide back under and the head table set up for the evening. The grand piano would be used to play the wedding song as Trish walked towards me.

The red carpet that Trish would walk down would be rolled up and moved to storage.

From the ceiling hung streamers of red and white to the walls. Each table had a small flower display of red and white carnations. The rows of a table on each side were three deep.

Trish and I would stand one step down just beneath the minister. The next step down would be the maid of honor and the best man. In front of them would be our ring bearers Terri's boys as it was a double-ring ceremony. The other two maids awaiting and the ushers each one step lower.

The minister and us man as the bridal party walked down the carpet. Helen went to take a seat and I said no

"Mom you have to come and stand at an angle to the right of the minster looking down at the rest of us," I said.

She looked at me in complete surprise and said, "But I'm not part of the bridal party."

"Yes, you are," I said. "That's why you have the same dress as the rest of the ladies and the flower girls."

First came the ring bearers taking their spots, then the flowers girl who moved into the step right beneath the boys. The ladies took their position in relation to the men's positions. Dad and Trish came to the steps. Trish walked up to be beside me.