The Renfield Syndrome Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He tried to swallow his panic, but it was so large it seemed to physically block his throat. The fear that seized him was supernatural and primal as hell, his prehistoric lizard brain going directly to fight or flight, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Lucas was clearly affected as well and redoubled his struggles to escape from the mob still attempting to subdue him. His berserker fury was tinged with panic now, and Aaron knew that Lucas would be free and running in an instant. As loathe as he was to leave him behind, the fear was too great, and he staggered backward and away until his trembling legs hit the concrete divider and he fell over it into the drenched grass on the other side. The ribs he had broken in the crash were already healing, but they protested fiercely anyway, and Aaron struggled to suck in pained breath and force himself to his feet.

Then the lone streetlight above exploded making the light flare up for an instant. In that instant, Aaron saw a figure standing at the edge of darkness, a familiar figure that filled him with equal parts loathing and dread. The shadows seemed to float around her and reach forward as she took a step toward the fray, and then the streetlight went out plunging them all into pitch darkness. The delighted and almost childlike laugh came again, unnaturally loud and seeming to have no direct point of origin.

There was only one path of action left. Cursing his own weakness, Aaron turned and stumbled through the blackest night down the embankment. The rain hammered down with painful velocity on his battered body and every step sent a new surge of agony through him that threatened to paralyze. But he surrendered to the fear and ran as fast as he could, falling once in the tall wet grass and forcing himself forward against the protests of his busted ribs and battered nerves. He reached the road passing by below and chose what he hoped was the direction of the airport. That's what Lucas would want above all, and if Aaron was doomed to play the coward's role, he would at least play it to the best of his ability. There were no cars visible and more trees than businesses on this stretch, and the darkness was nearly complete. So, he pounded down the middle of the road and away as fast as he could force his body to go, praying that...

And then far away but still much too close, the tinkling laughter came again, somehow penetrating the thunder of rain on concrete to reach his ears. It carried an admonishing tone in it now, as if suffering the outrageous antics of a small child, but nonetheless amused. And buried deep in that laugh was all the despair in the world that threatened to make Aaron stop running, lie down, and simply surrender to his bleak fate. It followed him as he ran, mocking his silly bid for freedom. It took the last bit of resolve he had left to fight the black hopelessness that was like a physical thing as he fled into the night with his ears full of hellish laughter.

12