The Ring of Fire Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tammy looked at me in amazement before she said, "That two hundred and fifty acres runs right up against the interstate. It's not if but when it's going to be a gold mine. That is quite an inheritance."

"I see it as a golden parachute for when I get old," I said. "Right now, with the back third of it still full of timber it's a natural haven for privacy. My Grandfather and I used to go hunting before during hunting season to get a deer for eating over the winter. It was he that taught me how to use a crossbow."

"If you are getting all of that I have to ask, what did he leave your two sisters," Tammy asked.

"Nothing," I replied, "Dad always thought one should be held accountable for their actions. Since they chose sides by agreeing to help our mother which caused him ending up being jailed, he though they should reap the rewards they deserved."

"He's right, "Tammy said, "To bad it's not practiced in our society. Too many believe they will grow out of it and forgive by showing mercy. Most don't appreciate the gift they have being given and repeat their conduct because they believe they will get away with it if they get caught."

When we got to the restaurant and bar Tammy decided it was easier to get out on the driver's side of the front seat because she had been sitting right next to me. We walked into the restaurant holding hands. As we took our seats across from each other Tammy said that one of her friends worked here and if she was on would notice us together. I asked if it was important. She replied only to show that my thinking was right.

When the waitress came to our table, she brought the one-page dinner menu for us to consider wearing a big smile on her face. It was one of Tammy's girlfriends. I ordered a Guinness stout and Tammy order a glass of red wine. When our server returned, I ordered the steak and Guinness pie, Tammy ordered the shepherd's pie and we asked for a double side order of their cheddar biscuits.

It was about halfway through our first drink that my sister Sparrow came in with some friends. Wren, Sparrow, and I were born within a period of forty-eight months. Wren was two years older than Tammy, Sparrow only four months older.

Tammy noticed her right away I didn't. I was too busy being captured by a beautiful set of eyes. It was when Sparrow started walking towards our table that the mood began to change. Tammy pointed out that she was on her way over.

"It's been a few months since we last saw each other," my sister said, "so I thought I would come over and say hello before they serve our dinner."

The two of them talked for a few minutes sharing titbits about what was happening in their lives. I was surprised that my older sister did not seem to recognize me. It took a few glances from Sparrow before she asked Tammy who her friend was. Tammy said, "Sparrow, forgive me for my rudeness I should have introduced you to the man who's agreed to be my steady boyfriend once he has moved back to take over his grandfather's farm."

With that said I stood up, offered my hand as I looked directly at Sparrow and said, "It's been a while you're still looking good sis."

The look that came over Sparrow's face was very telling. She seemed to sputter before getting the words out of her mouth. I knew that my height was throwing her off because I now towered over her. Sparrow said, "I wouldn't have recognized you Branden, your look and build has changed that much. Perhaps it's the beard and mustache that caught me off guard."

Later Tammy would chuckle over the look we both witnessed on my sister's face as she heard my voice because it was apparent by her reaction that she did not know I was in town. I wondered if that might imply that the closeness my mother and sisters had at the time no longer existed because I had assumed that Wren would have let them know.

"If you and your friends wish to join my future girlfriend and I you are more than welcome," I said knowing that nothing about our relationship would be disclosed. "After all it would give a chance to start to catch up with what's going on in our lives."

Without saying a word Sparrow turned and walked back to her table. After speaking to her server, her, and her friends with drinks in hand headed over towards us. I changed seats so that I was sitting beside Tammy.

After sitting down introduction were made. Sparrows' friends inquired how come she did not know that I was in town. I was caught off guard by her reply.

"Seven years ago, Branden and I got caught up in a game being played that changed five lives," she freely admitted. "Wren was move involved and I naturally followed my older sister. It ended up driving my younger brother away. We did not realize at the time what the consequences of what was going on would be. It ended up breaking up the family nucleus. I haven't seen my brother in over five years, and I did not recognize him because he has changed in his looks and build during that time. I would be interesting to hear my brothers thought are now about that time."

Tammy took my hand in hers to show me her support as I spoke, "Since all involved are still dealing with their own wounds because there has not been closure because of what happened the only thing, I can say is that at this time I have no comment. I learned going through the experience to be self-reliant by being true to myself and it changed me."

"It's clear that both Sparrow and I no longer feel totally comfortable with each other because of different experiences in life we have grown apart. Perhaps in time we will be close once again," I said. "I now live on the west coast of the country within miles of the Pacific Ocean and have a life that I have enjoyed very much."

During the meal as we ate Sparrow asked about our father's estate, I explained that until the civil suit our father had started against the state is resolved that it could not be settled because Dad in his will had set it up that way. I made a mental note to ask my father's lawyer if my sisters could successfully challenge the will.

"What does that mean," Sparrow asked?

"Dad always believed he was railroad, so he planned to sue when he finally got out. At the time of his death, he was in the middle of his appeal hearings. In his last will he stated that if anything happened to him the suit should go forward. Since he died in an industrial accident the suit has now become a wrongful death against all concerned."

"That could take years," Sparrow said.

"That's why I am coming back to take over Grandfather's farm," I explained. "Since grandfather's is the executor of dad's will, his time will be tied up with the lawyers and the courts."

"Who do you think the estate will be suing," Sparrow asked?

"I don't know," I replied. "If it was me deciding it would include jointly and separately all those in the timeline that brought him to the point that the accident happened."

Tammy smiled because she knew that the estate was basically settled and that I didn't want that fact revealed. Sparrow and I got into a great conversation about what I would be doing with the land. I brought out the point that I was going to focus on going organic which allowed me to consider all sorts of options. One of her friends noted that grass fed beef retailed out at a premium. What most didn't realize that beef was raised on the natural grasses of the land but were fed grain for the last six weeks before sending them to the slaughterhouses because it helped to tenderize the meat. It was just a marketing scam to milk the purchaser of a few more dollars.

Sparrow noted by the time we were finished that life had truly changed me because she said, "Branden I look forward to rebuilding our relationship if you are willing. From what I have seen you have completely changed so much that I no longer know you. You used to have a happy go lucky approach to life. Now there's a seriousness in your approach towards things. It comes through in your voice. You're a lot like dad but yet there's a noticeable difference."

"That's what happens when trust and belief in someone or something has been destroyed," I explained. "It changes one's approach to a lot of things. Now looking back at our father's trial, I think but for the grace of God it could have been me. I see the last few years of my father's life as if he was playing poker in a stacked game. Since then, I have become guarded. Now people have to prove themselves to me before I will let them in."

Sparrow got quiet after that because it reminded her of why I had left. Her friends had picked up on it and tried to diffuse the situation. The letter I had left to explain my leaving had been very brutal and honest. Sparrow had been reminded of my feelings back then and realized how big of message I had been sending. It also told her that what we had once shared would never be brought back. It surprised her when I told our server that I was paying for their tab.

As we were leaving Tammy said, "She got the message you were trying to send. She knows her mother and sister like her are no longer trusted by you. That's why she got quiet. Do you think she knows your father's conviction was overturned?"

"Since he died the weekend, it was won, I doubt it. Unless it was printed in the newspaper it wouldn't be public knowledge," I said. "But what I wanted out there has been achieved quite innocently. All three will soon know a suit is coming they just don't know it includes them."

"Branden don't ever let me forget that you have a mind that can look at things logically, even when in an informal conversation," Tammy said."

"Why," I asked?

"Because it allows you to naturally see beyond the bullshit most of us all waste time saying," Tammy explained. "There are few that walk in this world that can discern the truth long before most others do. It tells me that you're a natural leader not a follower. The woman that ends up owning your heart will have a blessed and meaningful life."

After dinner Tammy and I went to the six plex out by the super stores to take in a movie. Then we went and sat down in a dairy queen restaurant to share a large banana split. We were just sitting there across from each other in the booth starting to get to know a bit more about each when two of her friends that she had been with her the first night I was back in town walked in.

The first thing they saw was us feeding each other a bit of our desert. Tammy broke out in a big grin when one of them said, "Damn she wasn't kidding. She went after him fast. Those two apparently have history."

"Sue Ellen, you got the right," Tammy said loudly. "Branden and I had feeling for each other for years. So, when he moves back were both open to see where it goes. Get your orders and come join us."

"We best not," Sue Ellen replied. "We don't want to interfere with your first date."

"It is okay, Branden and I spent the whole day together yesterday," Tammy replied. "Branden is Gary's cousin, and we were with his side of the family."

Tammy's friend got a questioning look on her face, so I added, "Gary's is looking forward to seeing where the two of us go with this relationship and warned me of the possible problems because of the extended families unrealistic view of things."

That was all it took. As soon as they picked up their orders from the counter, they joined us. Seeing that they were coming towards us I slid over so that I was beside Tammy.

"Sue Ellen, Candice let me introduce Sparrow's brother Brandon James Allen to you," Tammy said as they set their trays down.

Sue Ellen eyes got bright as she said in humor, "Unbelievable the two people who were attracted to each other for years are finally getting to together. No wonder you were bubbling with excitement when you came back to our table. Branden did she tell you that the only reason she was friends with Sparrow was so that she could be close to you."

"Really," I said, "I'm going to have fun teasing her about that at times," I said with a smile. "Candice could you please take a couple of pictures of us with my cell phone. She obliged and we got our first pictures as a couple.

They asked me how long I figured it would be before I would be able to move back. I responded not long if I decide to have a management team take over the running of my six plex. A few months if I decide to sell it. For some reason Tammy's friends were surprised by the fact that I was already established. The led to me to explain what I had done with my life since I had moved away.

Later as we were headed back to Tammy's parents place Tammy said, "You must have been very determined to achieve what you did?"

"Tammy, I picked Washington State because of its progressive views. I believed that the police would not look for me. By luck I found a cheap one room suite and a job the first week. Everything I needed to survive was within three city blocks. Everything I did from that point was done to make sure I wasn't noticed, "I explained. "The woman who was my landlord liked me because I kept doing things so I would not draw attention to me. Since she had direct tv, it with my electrical and heating needs were included. She allowed me to have a two-burner hot plate for cooking. When I turned eighteen, I went after my Ged then got accepted to university. My original goal was to slip into Canada, but doing a good deed changed my direction in life and turned me in different direction. The money I was saving to move to Canada was my down payment on my six plex and paid for the car I am driving."

"Still, I'm amazed because it had to take a lot of disciplining oneself by doing without to get as far as you did," Tammy said.

"I owe that to my father," I said, "he taught me to fight my whims and wishes when starting out because once one became established it was easier to use other people's money. The six plex cost about three hundred thousand dollars. I live in one two-bedroom unit and rent the other five out. After paying the mortgage and related expenses it still leaves me with a positive cash flow. In the three years I have owned it I have replaced the down payment I put into it. With the cost of building material its value has gone way up. If I sold it the proceeds would not be taxable. If I decide to keep it, I will need to have it reappraised to find its marketable value. Any gain in equity from that point on will be taxable."

"He not only taught you why you should save but how to use money to make money," Tammy summed up. "He gave you tools that some will never understand. How do your grandparents feel about it?"

"They grilled me big time about my path in life. Reamed me out for running away even though they understand why I did it, "I said. "Yet both seem proud of how things turned out."

"You should be proud, having turned twenty-one a few months ago in the fact that your away ahead of those you used to hang out with," Tammy acknowledged. "Your life has made you prepared for anything that comes in front of you."

"It's taught me that nothing is worth worrying about because you can always find the way to overcome anything if you prepare yourself for the unexpected and are prepared to work with the consequences that come along," I said.

By that time, we had arrived back at her parent's place to find it in darkness except for the front door light which was still on. I walked her to the front door to make sure that she could get in before giving her a few good night kisses.

What we didn't know was that her mother was waiting for her in the kitchen at the back of the house because she had a lot of questions, she needed answering concerning her date for the evening.

My Granddad went with me to my father's lawyer who after hearing us out contacted the Prudential Life Insurance company that carried my father's policy. They had cancelled the policy for nonpayment after his death. He quickly faxed them a copy of his death certificate to prove they were on the hook for the four million dollars.

With that done we started to show him the timeline I was putting together that showed the pattern of behavior that had led to my father's death. I then went into great detail laying out what I thought we could do with it. I stressed that I wanted to sue all concerned for my father's accidental death. Mr. Carson Visage looked at in detail before commenting.

"Branden," he said, "To be honest this case if it goes forward is too big for me. Not because I don't have the knowledge, but I feel that we would need someone with the expertise in dealing with the state. I would be flying blind and that would put at a disadvantage from the start."

"Would you be willing to act as a partner if we were able to convince another party to join in the suite," I asked.

"With what you have shown me so far it looks good but anyone we would approach will need to see a lot more before they would consider it. Who do you have in mind" Carson asked?

"The insurance company's asset recovery division after we had received the settlement on my father's death," I replied. "I'm sure that since they will have skin in the game that they will be eager to go forward with it."

"The state will try to drag it out as long as possible so it might be a tough sale, but I think there's no harm in trying," he said with a smile. "Now it makes sense why you want it filed in the name of your father's estate. I will keep this copy you have created but I need you to go back and cross reference anything with foot notes to the documents you have used to create this. The court will want the originals produced when we head into court."

"After leaving here I'm going over to the courthouse to a transcription of the court trial and will stop at the state capital on my way home to get one on the appeal," I said. "The next data transfer from me will be from my home in Bellingham and it will include scanned copies of the originals. By the time we are ready to file I should be moved into my grandad's place."

After that we shook hands and parted. As we were leaving Dad's lawyer said, "I'm going to suggest that we go after court costs in the suit when I approach the insurance company with the thought that they keep the first two million if we are successful."

"That's fine by us," I replied. "Neither of us is in this for the money. If we are unsuccessful, I will personally cover your costs."

We had just left the courthouse having paid for the transcribing to be mailed by registered mail to me when my granddad received a call from my grandmother. It seems my mother had learned that I was back in town and wanted to meet with me.

I asked my granddad where the quietest but public spot would be best for me to have a one-on-one meeting with my mother. He suggested I use the Jackson city park just as the sun was settling because most of those who regularly use it would be headed for different places. Upon arrival back at the farm I called her, and we agreed to meet at seven thirty that evening. I then called Tammy and arranged to get together with her after my appointment with my mother was over.

Our first meeting after five years I think did not go the way my mother figured. By the time we parted her view of me had changed a lot. It started with her asking about what was in my father's will. My reply was that I could not answer her question until the upcoming court case was finished. I was surprised because she seemed to have no knowledge of that. She asked what I was doing with my life. I responded that it was none of her business since I had declared my independence the day I ran away.

"Branden, "she said in an attempt to get me to open up, "I did not expect what happened when I started the divorce. I was just trying to make sure that I was in the driving seat as we proceeded through it."

"Mother. "I replied, "I remember everything from the night Sparrow and Wren first confronted you about your affair because I was sitting on top of the stairs to the bedrooms listening as I wrote it down word for word in what ended up becoming a daily journal of the events going on in our lives until I ran away."