The Runesmith Chronicles Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BluDraygn
BluDraygn
1,985 Followers

"Why did you put him in the stocks?" asked Ikuno.

Sir Corrin frowned, "Knights don't appreciate being lied to"

"Fair enough," said the oni, "but again why are you telling me this?"

Balthus smiled wickedly, "Because by our reckoning you saved her once from Sir Michael and once from her brother, by rights her life belongs to you twice over"

Ikuno's eyes narrowed as she glared at him, "You bastard... you're dumping her on me!"

Balthus's face went solemn, "If it saves the girl's life as well as saving anyone of the Order from having to tie up loose ends. Then yes, she's your problem now."

Glaring at him for a moment longer Ikuno sighed, "So be it, Kal you are taking her home with you tonight."

"What?" squeaked the farmer in surprise.

"Well she can't stay here with me, you live hours away in the opposite direction of her village and I'm sure you and your mother could use the help on the farm."

Kal thought for a second about what she said before grumbling, "Damn logic."

Ikuno smiled at the knights, "Now that that ugly business is out of the way may I see your crystal, Sir Balthus?"

"I suppose so," he said taking the necklace off and handing it to the oni, "its drained and I doubt one with your power could use it."

Ikuno inspected the crystal, "I have no intention of using it, but I heard something when you had your shield up earlier," turning to the farmer she said, "Kal on one of the shelves with the books is a small leather bag would you bring it here?"

"Yes ma'am," he said and disappeared into the darkness of the cave.

Turning back to Balthus she said, "I have some far superior crystals and I was curious if you might be interested in a trade?"

"I'm no merchant, what might I have that would interest you?"

"No, certainly no merchant but you do look the type to possibly have a few books lying around?"

Balthus tilted his head to one side, smiling, "Lady Ikuno you drive a hard bargain."

Minutes later Kal was walking the remaining crystals and three newly obtained books back to Ikuno's library as Balthus inspected his new crystal.

As Kal came jogging back Corrin said, "I don't understand what was wrong with the other one?"

Ikuno popped the crystal out of the setting and handed the necklace back to Balthus, "This crystal is flawed, some have flaws so small it doesn't affect them much but this one..." she touched the crystal to her horn and they watched as it slowly began to glow brighter and brighter when it stopped she took it in one hand and pointed it at the other, lightning shot out of the crystal onto her palm accompanied by a high pitched whine that seemed to come from the crystal itself. She did the same thing a second time and the noise got louder, the third time the lightning was less a bolt and more a fan of tiny arcs a large ball of energy jumped from the crystal to her hand just as the crystal shattered. She looked at Balthus, "You don't want that to happen in the middle of a fight. Now for the new crystal."

Balthus handed it over when she touched it to her horn it went from dark to full brightness in only a couple seconds, the test on her palm showed a thick solid beam that barely wavered. She touched it to her horn once more and handed it back to him.

"May I," he asked. Getting nods from everyone he stepped back and activated the runes on his arm. The runes flared, and the shield snapped into place almost instantly.

"That is certainly interesting," said Corrin, Ikuno and Kal both looked at him. "This is only the fourth time or so that I've seen his arm put to use so I'm no expert. However, when he went to save our young friend his arm lit up about halfway there, but the shield didn't materialize until just before he got to Galen." Corrin looked over at Kal then smiled up at Ikuno, "You may have a bit of a problem there," he said nodding at the boy.

Ikuno looked down at the enraptured look on Kal's face as he watched Balthus test out his shield with the new crystal. She couldn't disagree with the knight.

BluDraygn
BluDraygn
1,985 Followers
12