The San Isidro Mysteries 01: Maria del Sueño

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He pulled at the chains on his wrists.

The priest laughed as he pulled a long sharp blade from his robes.

He stood in front of Maria's husband and mocked him, brandishing the sharp end of the weapon under Emanuel's nose. Then, he turned to Maria and pointed the weapon at her.

"You have no idea just how much your in-laws have given me, and what I intend to still take."

He leered at Maria.

"You Monteclaros are so blind... so naïve, you can't see what's in front of your nose!"

He laughed.

"Don't speak in riddles, priest," Emanuel hissed.

"Your parents, Manuel, they were such fools, they really thought I had the power to bring back their long dead daughter."

He smiled menacingly.

"They believed that all those girls they provided me with would help in resurrecting poor Katrina."

He laughed again, almost maniacally, the sound rising around the chapel walls.

"Did you kill Asuncion and the farmer's wife?!" Maria gasped.

The priest bowed.

"But why?"

"There were others before them," he said quite proudly, "though I did not mean to kill that old woman, but she was up and about that night and saw me scrounging around in the field looking for one of your mother's many gifts to me, do you remember the jewelled rosary, Manuel? She started asking questions, I just had to get rid of her and when I had," he shrugged, "I thought, why not add a heart and a liver to the collection?"

"Your husband gave me quite a fright when he started chasing me, my dear, but one should never attempt such heroics when one is under the influence."

He giggled and looked at Emanuel.

"You lost your footing at the hills, I had no idea if you knew it was me, so I dragged you here."

"As to why," he placed the sword down and sat on his haunches in front of Maria's husband, "because I can."

He sniggered.

"Besides, I told your parents I had the power to bring your sister back to life in exchange for those girls' body parts. Your lovely wife is the final piece, that's why they brought her here. It was really quite easy getting them to fall in with my plans, especially after I showed them this."

He reached into the pocket of his robe once more and drew out a braid of dark brown hair with a faded blue bow tied at the end.

Emanuel stopped struggling, a stunned expression on his face.

"Don Simon and Doña Cecilia believed it was only a matter of time before the rest of your sister - materialized."

"You are insane." Maria whispered.

Padre Dominguez started shaking the length of hair at them.

Maria stepped back, sickened, her blood turning cold at the priest's malevolent expression.

"You recognize it, don't you, Manuel? Of course, this is not all that I have of your sister."

Padre Dominguez bent down close to Emanuel.

"And by the way, Señor, it was not an accident, you did turn off that machine."

"What did you say?" Emanuel asked hoarsely.

"Your sister was my first, and she was delightful - innocent and trusting - and so young."

Emanuel started tugging at the chains again.

"You beast! I'LL KILL YOU!" he cried.

The priest only watched him, enjoying the younger man's struggles.

Suddenly, Emanuel brought his knee up and kicked the padre in his groin; Dominguez doubled over.

"Run, Maria!" Emanuel shouted.

The priest bellowed in anger and pain, he grabbed the unlit brass candleholder on the altar and bashed Emanuel's head, splitting the skull open; Maria's husband slid forward.

Knowing that the front door was bolted, Maria ran to the back of the altar, hoping it would lead to a way out of the chapel, she scrambled down a few steps but stumbled and fell - on the lifeless bodies of Simon and Cecilia Monteclaro, both their throats slit open!

She screamed just as Padre Dominguez reached her, but he, too, slipped on the pool of blood from the dead couple.

He tried to grab Maria's ankle, but she kicked his hands away. Getting to her feet, she doubled back and went into the chapel again.

She ran to Emanuel but realized right away that he was gone. Her husband was slumped at an impossible angle, held up only by the chains on his wrists.

"You can't leave yet, Maria," the priest said as he came limping out from behind the altar, "not till I get a remembrance from you."

He took up the sword beside Emanuel's body and started walking towards her.

"It's too bad I already have a head, your face is so much more interesting than Asuncion's, but your heart... that would be - glorious! Yes, yes, I'll get rid of that old hag's heart and keep yours instead, it will be the centerpiece of my collection."

Maria backed away from him. The altar was right behind her - there was no way out.

"There is no escape, Maria."

The priest's voice had turned soft and deep, almost gentle.

"You can save yourself so much pain if you just surrender to me."

He dropped the sword and lunged at her, taking hold of her waist, dragging her down with him.

Maria twisted away as they hit the floor, she grabbed the edge of the white cloth that covered the table and pulled; as it slid down, the lit candles fell, their flames started to lick at the cloth.

The priest was momentarily distracted, he released Maria and started stomping on the fire, cursing.

She scrambled to her feet and picked up the blade; despite its considerable weight, Maria swung it at the padre. The sharp edge caught his leg, cutting through the brown robe he wore and into his flesh, he fell to his knees.

Maria dropped the blade and ran to the front door; she twisted and pulled the ornate handle once more, but still it held fast! She looked back and saw Padre Dominguez getting up, his eyes dark with evil.

He limped his way towards her, blood trickling down his leg.

"I will have you yet, Maria," he said menacingly.

She tugged at the door with all her strength as she whispered a last desperate plea.

"Holy Virgin, save me for my daughter's sake!"

The door swung open and Igmidio Macaraig pulled her out. Then the two of them ran away from the capilla.

XIV

The farmer and Maria ran as fast as they could to the gate at the back of the Monteclaro estate. Though it was a full moon, there was still not enough light to avoid the rocks and hard tufts of grass that dotted the lane that led to the gate behind the house.

Maria stumbled twice on her saya, but Igmidio's arm kept her from falling. They were still halfway to the high wall when they heard the whinny of a horse behind them - the priest was astride Emanuel Monteclaro's mount, and would soon be upon them!

"We will not reach the gate in time!" Maria cried.

Igme hurriedly looked around; there were several trees to his left that could hide them from the mad priest.

"This way, Señora," he cried, pulling Maria to the copse. They hunched down as soon as they reached it.

"Do not make a sound," the farmer whispered.

Gasping for breath, Maria nodded and crouched down lower.

Padre Dominguez rode past the thicket and all the way to the high wall where he saw the gate was undisturbed.

Realizing that he had missed his prey, he doubled back, his horse trotting slowly now, as he craned his neck, looking for Maria and the dirt farmer.

"There is no escape."

He called out to the dark, brandishing the long blade he had recovered.

"You're just making this harder on all of us. Give up now and I promise I will be merciful."

Igme knew that it was only a matter of time before the padre found them.

He thought about fighting with Dominguez, but the priest was much taller and heavier than him. Besides, the padre was also armed and on horseback. Igme had to think fast.

"Señora," he turned to Maria, "I'll try to lead him away - as soon as he follows me, run to the gate. Get away from here, find help, but don't look back."

Maria nodded.

"Who do I owe my life to, Señor?" she asked, holding Igme's arm as he prepared to leave their cover.

"I am husband to Patrocinio Macaraig, Señora," he answered, "the woman he killed the other night."

Maria kissed his hand.

"Salamat, Manong," she whispered.

Igme looked at the spot where she had kissed his hand. He blinked as he remembered his dead wife, then he stood and ran out onto the path, heading back to the capilla!

The padre roared and followed him.

Maria ran the opposite way.

Gonzales and Lucas heard the priest shouting just as their small party of men reached the high wall. Lucas quickly dismounted, ran to the gate and pushed.

"It's bolted from the inside!" he yelled.

Igme's ruse did not last long - Dominguez noticed that there was only one figure running back to the capilla!

Cursing in anger at being duped, the priest pulled the reins and turned the horse around.

He saw Maria fleeing toward the back wall and the locked gate.

He ruthlessly kicked the animal; the beast responded, it ran full gallop towards the girl. He was not going to be denied this time; Dominguez swung the blade, determined to cut her down.

Maria heard the pounding hooves behind her.

"Saklolo!" she screamed.

"Stand aside!" Gonzales said, drawing his side-arm.

He shot the exposed metal bar. Lucas hurriedly pushed the gate open, just as Maria reached it.

She fell into his arms.

"Get down!" Gonzales yelled, taking aim at the robed figure behind her.

The bullet from the señor capitan's pistol whizzed by Lucas' ear as he pulled Maria to the ground.

The sword fell from Domingues' hand, blood spurting from his shoulder.

Frightened by the pistol's retort, the horse reared wildly and lost its footing; the priest could not control the beast, he fell under the animal as it went down!

It was several minutes before anyone moved.

Lucas held the shuddering Maria close, as tears of relief ran down her face.

Everything turned quiet - only Maria's sobbing and the soft grunting of the horse could be heard.

Gonzales and the sargento exchanged glances; the two cucheros wordlessly embraced Igme who had made his way back to them.

Finally they approached the fallen animal.

The capitan took hold of the reins and pulled gently. The horse got up, but Padre Dominguez remained motionless, his back was broken. He moaned in pain.

The capitan was about to order Julio to fetch the town doctor, but Igme was a step ahead of him. The farmer ran to the fallen sword and grabbed it.

"For Patrocinio!" he cried, thrusting the blade deep into the priest's chest.

-----

Señor Capitan Andres Gonzales sat at his desk.

It had been a month since the strange events at the Monteclaro estate and he was finishing the final report.

A huge funeral such as never before witnessed at San Isidro took place three days after the corpses of Simon, Cecilia and Emanuel Monteclaro were removed from the capilla.

Maria's grief for her in-laws was real - they had never treated her badly - but it was also tempered with the knowledge that they were willing to sacrifice her for a long dead daughter. And so, too, was the grief she felt for Emanuel, he had misused her almost from the start and yet had, in the end, given up his life to save her.

She could only again wonder at what the word - love - really meant.

Everyone in the town, landed Illustrados and dirt poor Indios, paid their last respects to the Monteclaros, some came to offer sincere sympathies to Lucas and Maria - but most came to gawk at the macabre site of three magnificently burnished mahogany caskets standing side by side inside the cathedral.

The two cucheros, Julio and Illuminado, were quite sure that the cost was far and above what the two of them earned in a year.

The jefe was gathering the thick file together when Sargento dela Paz entered, followed by Lucas and Maria, cradling her infant daughter in her arms.

Gonzales stood up and shook Lucas' outstretched hand.

"Have you received word from the curate in Manila?" Lucas asked as they all sat down.

"Yes. It seems Padre Dominguez was assigned to so many posts in the islands, and in each town, at least, one young woman was reported to have died under horrifying circumstances, violated then mercilessly brutalized. Your cousin, Katrina, was possibly his first victim back in Capiz, the padre's first posting."

"Possibly?"

"Domingues arrived from Spain via Mexico eight years ago, Lucas, there is no record of his previous assignments, we can only wonder about what he did before then."

"How many women did he murder here, Jefe?"

Gonzales looked through the file he had just finished writing.

"There are at least twenty eight deaths, including Asuncion Vergara and Patrocinio Macaraig, there could be more, we will never be sure, I'm afraid."

"Perhaps he was truly the devil incarnate," Maria said softly.

"Maybe, Señora," Gonzales said, "but I am inclined to believe that Padre Domingues was more sick than possessed, which is far more troubling."

"About Patrocinio's husband, Igmidio, will he answer for killing Padre Domingues?" Lucas asked.

"Did he?" the jefe raised an eyebrow, "I thought my aim was quite true, señor, I know I hit Domingues."

"But the sword..."

The jefe quickly stopped Maria.

"You did wound him in the leg, Señora, and that was clearly in self-defense. I'm not aware that Domingues suffered any other cuts."

Dela Paz cleared his throat. They all looked at the sargento.

"He also had a horse fall on him, Jefe, don't forget that," dela Paz added.

Lucas smiled.

He and Maria had been worried about Igmidio Macaraig; killing a priest - no matter how evil he was - was a crime, the church was all too powerful in the islands.

"The curate in Manila may have some questions," he said.

The señor capitan also smiled.

"Well, the report is finished and I'm sure the governor-general will find it very accurate as I have witnesses who will attest to its authenticity."

The baby, awakened by their voices, began to fuss.

Lucas and Maria stood up. Capitan Gonzales quickly followed. They made their way to the door.

"I heard that you are bound for Manila."

Lucas Regalado nodded.

"I have persuaded Maria to come with me. We leave tonight, jefe. I... can't say when we shall be back, though."

Andres nodded; he shook Lucas' hand and bowed courteously to Maria.

He noticed the way the pair looked at each other as they left the precinto, he instantly remembered Lucas' story about his father and mother and what he himself had said:

"Such a love would be difficult to find again."

He smiled and turned to go back to his office.

"Capitan!"

Illuminado and Julio ran up the steps of the precinto.

"A body was found in the old well outside the ciudad!"

THE END

Glossary:

abanico - fan

Aling - term used to address an older lady who is not kin

bolo - machete

buri - material made from the dried leaves of palm trees

cabron = goat

calesa = horse-drawn carriage

camilla = stretcher or pallet

camisa de chino = literal translation is Chinese shirt, a loose, long-sleeved cotton shirt with a round open neck worn by Chinese men during the 19th century. Today, the short-sleeved version is the preferred undershirt for the Barong Tagalog.

Capiz = a province in the island of Visayas, famous for seafood, oyster shell and raw agricultural produce

cerveza negra = dark beer

ciudad = main town center

compadre = a close male friend

cuchero = carriage driver

cuidao = a warning as in " Be Careful"

Dia de los Muertos = Day of the Dead or All Souls Day

gaseras = kerosene lamps

hija = term of endearment for a girl or a young lady

hijo = term of endearment for a boy or a young man

igado = meat dish very popular in Central and Northern Luzon, the main ingredient of which is pork liver

Illustrados = first generation Spanish immigrants born in the islands, usually mestizo

Indios = the natives of the islands

islas = islands

Jefe = chief

kubo = hut

kundiman = classical Filipino love songs comparable to the Neapolitan love songs

kuya/kuyang = older brother

Mang/Manong = term used to address an older gentleman of lower station and who is not kin

mano = sign of respect shown by a younger person to an older one by lifting the right hand of the older person and touching it to the forehead

masukal = adjective used to describe overly thick wild grass

mestiza = a woman of native and Hispanic blood

Moros = the Moors of Mindanao

orasyon = the Angelus

puesto = stall

saklolo = derived from "socorro", the Spanish word for help

sala = main living room or salon

saya = long skirt

Susmariosep = literal translation is "Jesus, Mary, Joseph"

vda. = abbreviation for viuda which means widow