The San Isidro Mysteries 03: La Loba Blanca (complete)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

---------

"How was business at the Dulcinea this evening, Señorita Lisa?" Julio asked as the young lady seated herself behind him in the calesa.

Lisa shook her head.

"Not very well, Manong, it has been quite slow since the night they found... the... erm..."

The cuchero nodded knowingly.

"Well, a dead body can certainly slow business down. But there are times, Señorita, when the complete opposite can happen; I'm sure you've heard about the Monteclaro massacre when Don Lucas' entire family was wiped out in a single night. Why, people came from far away just to view those three beautiful coffins lying side by side in the Basilica... shh, hinay-hinay lang," he said, gently pulling on the pony's reins, placating the animal as it reared its head impatiently. "Our calesas were never empty bringing people to the church and estasyon during the wake; Illuminado and I made almost two months' wages in less than a week." He sighed, "Those were good days," he murmured wistfully.

Lisa smiled weakly at Julio's tale. She liked the two cucheros who alternately fetched her from the house to bring her to work in the mornings and back again at night, as her cousin Rodrigo had requested, and she liked the stories they told her about the town and its people, but there were times when the stories bordered on gossip. It was fortunate that she was discreet. She stifled a yawn but soon, the rhythmic swaying of the carriage and the soft crunch of its wooden wheels on the narrow road lulled her to sleep.

She woke up, the calesa had suddenly stopped.

"Hmm, what have we here?" Julio said, clutching the pony's reins tightly as the animal danced and nickered nervously. He peered into the moonlit night. A figure was approaching them, it was clear it was not a man, for it was travelling on all fours. It looked like a large dog, much larger than the ones that were kept as pets by most of the town-folk; a few of the wealthy residents did have bigger animals, but those were pampered beasts and were seldom seen outside the walls of their mansions. Julio was about to reach for the gasera that hung on one of the calesa's posts, when the creature howled and charged toward the small carriage.

The cuchero did not hesitate; he quickly pulled the reins sharply, turning the pony around. He heard an answering howl from afar as he grabbed the whip and lashed at the pony's hind quarters, the little horse broke into a gallop.

"Hold on to the seat tightly, Señorita," he cried as the calesa headed back to San Isidro.

The beast gave a series of loud yelps as it ran after them. Julio screamed at the pony to go faster. Lisa looked back as the carriage careened on the dirt road, her knuckles white as she gripped the edge of the narrow wooden seat.

"Manong, it's getting closer!"

---------

Magdalena's heart was racing when she heard the howls, there were two of them and they were not inexperienced peons like Antonio Trillanes; these foes were shape-shifters, powerful beings who could metamorphose at will. She crouched lower as she ran, her hands, clawing at the ground to gain more speed. Soon she was running on all fours; she had changed entirely -- white fur covered her whole body -- her face was now lupine, fangs bared ready for battle, powerful legs and clawed feet churning the earth, the remnants of her dress tearing off as she ran into the thick coarse wild grass of an open field. She made an equally terrifying noise, announcing to her foes that she -- La Loba Blanca -- was after them.

---------

Padre Miguel Acosta was in his small room, reading the Holy Book, when the yelping of the abbey's dogs caught his attention. They were normally placid dogs, which the assistant parish priest, Padre Arnulfo, doted on. The animals, in turn, were devoted to the old padre, often following him around the Basilica's gardens as he tended to the many shrubs and flowering plants. They would give an occasional bark or two at night, but it was different this time, deep growls, low baying and incessant barking came from the kennels.

He heard the door of Padre Arnulfo's room which was just opposite his, creak open; no doubt, the elderly priest was intent on investigating what the cause of the raucous was. Miguel placed the bible down and opened his door in time to see Padre Arnulfo, candle in hand, making his way down the corridor. He caught up with him and gently tapped the old man's shoulder.

"I'll see to the dogs, Padre," he said softly, taking the candle from Arnulfo, "it's quite late, you should be in bed."

The assistant parish priest nodded gratefully and returned to his room. Miguel continued on the long passageway, past the prayer room and the communal dining room and eventually to a small door that led to the Basilica. He genuflected as he passed the high altar and quickly walked to a side entrance. He had polished and filled all the ancient gaseras which hung on the Basilica's walls with kerosene just that morning. He took one down and lit it then he opened the side door and stepped out.

The barking of the dogs became even louder as he neared the kennels at the back of the Basilica; they were clearly agitated by something. He was half-way to the small enclosure when he heard a deep growl behind him -- he slowly turned -- a black dog, larger than any he had ever seen, was staring at him, fangs and teeth bared in a terrifying grin.

He held the small lamp, the only protection he had, out in front of him with both hands. The beast snarled once and launched itself towards the priest. Miguel swung the lamp and hit the creature's shoulder, the lamp broke, spraying kerosene and hot embers around them. The monster quickly recovered and circled his prey; Miguel looped the loose sleeve of his robe around his left arm and held it in front of him, he managed to pick up a large rock with his other hand, but he knew it would barely hurt the animal. He murmured a small prayer to his namesake -- Saint Michael, the archangel -- and prepared for the onslaught. He raised his arm and closed his eyes as the black dog leapt straight at him, waiting to feel the massive jaws crunch down on his wrist -- but he never did -- from out of nowhere, an equally large white dog pounced on the attacking beast in mid-air.

---------

"Thank you, Señora, let us keep this conversation private until I have investigated the matter fully," Capitán Andres Gonzales said, as he shook the hand of one of La Dulcinea's servers. "And please make sure your daughter is kept safely inside at night."

"I will, Jefe," Manang Anastacia, the server answered. She nodded at Mr. Williams and left the office of the Dulcinea's manager.

The two men looked at each other across the mahogany desk, Anastacia had just finished telling them of what happened to her youngest daughter the night Antonio Trillanes was killed.

"Do you think it's true, Capitán?" Jason asked.

"I deal with facts, Mr. Williams, and facts are based on science... however, I was born and raised here and there are many events on the islands that cannot be explained by science."

"If all of it is true, the young woman who killed Trillanes has done San Isidro a favor, a grown man who preys upon little girls is an abomination."

The capitán nodded, he knew, first-hand, what such an abomination was capable of.

"Will you tell Lisa and the sargento that..?"

"That Magdalena is suspected of murder, a very extraordinary one, at that? No," Andres shook his head, "I need to talk with Magdalena first, and I hope that what we've learned tonight will remain private."

Jason nodded.

"I understand."

They shook hands and were walking to the door when they heard the frightened neighing of a horse and the rattling of carriage wheels.

"Saklolo, saklolo!" a woman's voice called out desperately.

IV

Miguel rolled away as the two beasts hurtled past him; he scrambled onto his knees and ran for the relative safety of the roofed kennels where Arnulfo's dogs were barking and howling madly.

Gasping for breath, he watched the two animals face each other, hackles raised; suddenly the black dog lunged at the white -- aiming for the back of its neck. The white dog managed to twist its head away, but her foe's sharp teeth fastened on her tail-bone, blood spurted from the gash as its fangs sank deep into her flesh, she squealed as a stream of red gushed down the white fur. Oblivious to the pain, the she-dog twisted violently, loosening her opponent's deadly hold.

Suddenly, she was free and it was then that Miguel saw what he thought only horses capable of, she dug her hind legs down into the ground and viciously kicked the black dog's head. The other beast's head snapped back, it fell to the ground, dazed. The white dog quickly turned and clamped down on her foe's exposed throat -- the priest heard the crunch of flesh and bone -- she swung her head side-to-side, biting even deeper. The black dog whimpered in pain as its blood spattered over them, jerking in its death throes; the battle ended as swiftly as it had begun; the night fell into silence again -- even Arnulfo's pets ceased their barking.

The white dog let go of her enemy's lifeless body, trembling, her sides heaving. Miguel knew it was in pain as blood spurted from the wound on her back, but his fear kept him from moving, was he to be its next victim? Finally, the animal raised its head and looked at the priest, Miguel caught his breath, the midnight-dark eyes staring at him were familiar! -- he took a step forward -- then rushed towards the she-dog as it swayed and collapsed to the ground.

---------

The calesa swung wildly side to side down the narrow street as Julio's small pony galloped as fast as it could. The cuchero was already bleeding from a deep bite the hideous monster had inflicted on him; it had caught up with them and managed to jump onto his perch, its jaws fastened down on his left arm but let go when Lisa threw the lit gasera at it; the beast fell off the calesa, but that did not stop its relentless pursuit; once again, it was nipping at the carriage wheels, as they dashed into the very heart of San Isidro.

Lisa knew Mang Julio was exhausted, he was pale and near to passing out, the sleeve of his white camisa de chino was dyed red. Bracing both arms against the sides of the carriage, she made her way beside the weakening cuchero. She managed to pry the pony's reins from his stiff fingers just as he slumped down into the seat. She could hear the beast's heavy breathing -- it was already abreast of them. She urged the pony on and cried for help.

"Saklolo, saklolo!"

Andres reached La Dulcinea's entrance first -- pistol in hand -- Jason was right behind him, holding a shotgun his father had given him. They saw the wildly careening carriage entering the town-center, beside it was a creature more than twice the size of a domestic dog.

"What in God's name is that?" Jason exclaimed.

Before Andres could reply, the monster gave a blood-curdling howl, ran past the carriage and leapt into the air, its eyes fixed on the tiny pony.

Lisa screamed again -- the two men opened fire.

---------

El Divino adjusted the dark spectacles he wore for protection as he looked at the fortified walls of Intramuros -- the heart of Manila -- from the wide deck of the ferry. It was early morning, the sky still a pale grey, but already his eyes were smarting from the weak morning-light. He had sent two more of his followers to the town called San Isidro the day after he received Antonio Trillanes' telegram, but after several days of waiting with no news from any of them, El Divino decided to follow with the rest of his men. Too much time had already passed; the sisters had to be in his hands before the end of the sixth day of the sixth month, when Lisa turned eighteen, and that was only a fortnight away.

As the other passengers, eager to disembark once they reached port, made their way toward the bow of the boat, another man joined El Divino on the deck.

"Have you informed the men?" El Divino asked quietly, still looking out at the harbor.

The other man lit a cigarette, inhaled deeply and turned his attention toward the stream of people headed for the exit, he gave a barely perceptible nod.

"Bueno," his master murmured, still looking out at the water. "Recuerde a los hombres que sean discretos. They must be discreet and cannot draw any attention to themselves. Travel singly, in pairs, at the most. I shall meet you all at the Tutuban Train Station at sunset."

El Divino adjusted his glasses once more, turned away from the railings and followed the other passengers. His erstwhile companion, Tiago, finished his cigarette, threw the end into the water and waited until the crowd had thinned; then he, too, headed for the gangplanks.

---------

She was running as fast as she could, but Lisa was too far away, her cries for help growing fainter and fainter. Magdalena stumbled on the rocky foot-path, she screamed her sister's name as she fell while a sinister laugh echoed around and around the darkness.

Magdalena opened her eyes, gasping for breath -- it was just a bad dream -- she tried to move and felt the soothing coolness of a damp cloth on her forehead; she realized she was lying on her side... on a bed in a room she did not recognize.

"Try not to move, Señorita Magdalena, you are in the abbey," Padre Jose said softly, "the wound on your back has finally stopped bleeding. Padre Miguel will be fetching Dr. Lazaro to atte --"

"No!" Magdalena suddenly exclaimed, "I must find my sister and no one must leave the abbey, there is another monster loose, it may well attack again. I must hunt it down while it is still dark." She sat up, ignoring the stab of pain that pierced her whole body.

"Please, hija, hold still. We cannot have you losing more blood and it is morning already, your enemy would have changed back to its human form, searching for him now will be futile."

Magdalena looked at the parish priest in surprise.

"You know... about them?" she whispered.

Padre Jose nodded.

"Not everything, my child, but enough to know that the beast you vanquished last night was a shape-shifter, a halimaw or maligno, a cursed vile half-demon who can metamorphose into an evil creature at night. It changed back into a human when dawn broke."

"As I did."

He heard the hint of defiance in the young woman's voice, her midnight-dark eyes daring him to deny it. He nodded.

"Yes," the priest's voice was gentle, "but there is one vast difference between you and that creature, Magdalena -- I know you are not evil."

She lowered her head -- overcome by shame, guilt... and longing -- her knuckles white as she gripped the edge of the bed, it had been so long since someone other than Lisa had spoken to her with understanding and sympathy. She could not speak for several minutes. Finally, she raised her head.

"You are right, Padre, but I have done evil things... I..."

Padre Jose held up his hand.

"My child, I am here to help you, not to hear your confession. Now, lie down, the wounds you sustained have taken a toll on your body, rest is what you need."

She shook her head.

"If the bleeding has stopped, as you said, my wounds will soon heal themselves," she murmured, "I must find Lisa, Padre, you cannot stop me."

The old priest resigned himself and held out a hand.

With his assistance, Magdalena stood up on trembling legs. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and released his hand. She nodded at Padre Jose and made for the small bedroom window.

"Thank you, Padre, and... thank Padre Miguel also, I know he brought me here last night," she turned and clambered out.

The priest went to the window, looked out and marveled at the maiden's strength and determination; already, she was but a small figure in the distance, running swiftly toward San Isidro.

---------

Dr. Lazaro entered the waiting room of his clinic where Andres Gonzales, dela Paz, Lisa, Jason Williams, Illuminado and Julio's wife, Salud, were seated; worry was etched on all their faces.

The doctor was wiping his bloodied hands with a washcloth.

"He's asleep and since the bleeding has stopped, his condition, for now, seems stable," he said.

He heard the small group's collective sigh of relief. Dr. Lazaro was loath to say the next words, but he did not want to raise false hopes. He held up one hand.

"Julio is in good health for a man his age -- but I cannot save his arm, that beast tore through flesh, muscle and bone, there is hardly anything holding it together."

Salud burst into tears, Lisa placed an arm around the older woman's shoulders.

"How will he live with just one arm, Doctor? How can he drive his calesa? I know my husband, he has a good soul, but he is also proud, he will think himself less of a man if you cut off his arm."

"I am sorry, Señora," the doctor went on, "but already the limb is gangrenous, if I do not amputate, the infection is bound to spread and it will cost him his life. Time is of the essence, the longer we wait, the more it will spread."

There was only silence in the room, until Illuminado spoke.

"I have known Julio far longer than any of you," the cuchero said firmly, "and of this I am sure, if there is one man who can drive a calesa with just one hand, that man is Julio, the best carriage-driver in the whole of Luzon."

Within the hour, the operation proceeded; the waiting-room was quiet, only Salud's soft voice reciting the rosary could be heard. The capitán and dela Paz had left for the precinto where the animal that was shot was caged.

It was still clinging to life, despite the many gunshot wounds it had sustained.

When Jason stood up to stretch his legs, he noticed that Lisa and Illuminado were no longer in the room. He begged leave of Salud and went in search of them, asking the two nurses and an orderly at the entrance if they had seen the young woman and the old cuchero. Yes, they said, they had just left and seemed to be in quite a hurry.

As he went outside, he saw Lisa walking swiftly towards the older Illuminado's caritela. He caught up with her just as she was about to climb up the carriage.

"Lisa, wait, where are you going?"

"I must hurry home, Jason, I need to get to my sister. She, too, is in danger."

"What kind of danger, Lisa?"

The maiden bit her lower lip; she had already divulged too much, her sister would be furious, but they could not live in suspicion of everyone forever.

"That creature last night... there was more than one... many more will be coming, and they are not here by accident, Jason, they have come to San Isidro... for Magdalena and me."

---------

"Did you lock the beast up as I told you to, Sargento?" Gonzales asked as they hurried to the precinto.

Dela Paz nodded.

"It took the three of us to get it into the cell, Capitán, I've never hauled such a huge animal before. Ponce and Murillo both swear it's the size of a kalabao. In the end, we just dragged it inside... I'm afraid the cell is a mess."

The capitán nodded.

"But it's still alive, yes?"

"It was, but I doubt it still is now, its breathing was already rapid and shallow when I followed you to Dr. Lazaro's clinic."

As the two men reached the station, they were surprised to see the two cabos outside, waiting for them, their faces pale, worry in their eyes.