The San Isidro Mysteries 03: La Loba Blanca (complete)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"A witch who can uncast spells and a spiritist, two sides of the same coin," Andres said.

"You know our history, Capitán."

"A little," he answered, "my mother was a full-bloodied Indio, Magdalena, she told me many tales of the islands' first inhabitants when I was growing up."

"Nanay belonged to a small sect who used their incantations and powers more for good than malevolence. When she and my father met, they fell instantly in love," she continued, "when they asked permission to wed from their respective elders, as was the custom, it was granted, but there was one condition that had to be followed," her voice faltered, "their union had to remain childless."

The priest shook his head and took her hand in his. Magdalena held his fingers tightly and continued.

"Why was this so, Magdalena?" Miguel asked.

"Because of the prophecy about a special girl-child, pure and innocent, born to a union between witch and spiritist -- that child would become the gateway for the return of Poon Sitan, the lord of evil and darkness -- back from the underworld where he had been banished to by Bathaluman, the king of the immortals.

Once reincarnated, Sitan would, then, take his vengeance against the mortals for they had allied themselves with Bathaluman when the two deities battled each other for control over the heavens and the earth.

Bayani and Amihan, my parents, married; after all, with their combined knowledge and powers, surely it would be easy to avoid conceiving. But... they failed. When they realized my mother was with child, they knew that Sitan's minions would soon know of it, too, so they left their village and sought refuge in another province, Antique. It was there where my sister and I were born, an hour apart."

"You and Lisa are fraternal twins," Miguel whispered.

"For years, nothing happened," the maiden continued, "they thought we were safe, that neither Lisa nor I was the child in the prophecy. However, when we turned six, when the inheritance of our mixed ancestry began to manifest itself in me, but not in Lisa, they..."

"Pure and innocent... they realized Lisa was the gateway," the capitán said.

She nodded.

"A few months before we turned eight, Sitan's followers, led by El Divino, found us, they killed Tatay -- they tore him to pieces -- there was barely anything left of him to bury. I wanted vengeance, but my... powers were still untested. Nanay told me to wait until I could master them, until then, she would do everything in her power to protect Lisa and me. Once again, we had to move... to the safest place she could think of, the island of her ancestors."

"Siquijor," Andres said.

"Yes. She managed to mask where we were -- with her spells and incantations -- but she had to work the land, too, so that we could survive. All these took a toll on her, I tried to help, but each day, she became weaker and so did her powers, but she still managed to keep our location hidden, until the sixth month of our sixteenth year when... when Lisa started her monthly flux. Nanay knew her powers were no longer strong enough to cloak us, my sister's scent would lead Sitan and his followers to wherever we were... he must seek your sister out because she is his destiny, she said. Nanay died soon after that and I... I promised her -- on her deathbed -- that I would never allow Lisa to fall into Sitan's hands, that I would kill her myself if I had to.

Months later, Lisa was captured by a ranking member of the cult, Don Castor Reinoso, but his lust and greed for power were his undoing. The prophecy states that the man who first mates with Lisa on the last full-moon before she turns eighteen would transform into Poon Sitan -- purity and innocence conquered by evil -- with all his power and might, so he sought to mate with her himself instead of bringing her to El Divino. I tracked them to his house and disposed of him and his servant before he could touch Lisa. We left Siquijor and came to San Isidro. We've lived in peace for almost a year, I was lulled into thinking that we were safe until I felt Trillanes' presence a few days ago. I hunted him and the rest you know."

She looked down at Miguel's hands as they clutched hers.

"I do not like killing, Capitán," she whispered.

"You were left with no choice, Magdalena," Andres answered softly, "and these creatures you've killed were more monsters than men."

"Jefe, Trillanes said that El Divino and his followers will soon be here. Lisa and I will leave San Isidro right now if I were sure it would ensure the safety of the town, but..."

"I don't think your leaving will prevent them from harming the town and its residents, Magdalena, it already attacked us at the abbey for no reason," Miguel said.

"The Basilica and the abbey are places of faith and devotion, Padre, they will want to destroy them -- and the priests -- so that there will be no place the people can seek refuge in."

"And from what Trillanes intended to do with the young flower-vendor, they have no qualms about satisfying their sick cravings with anyone," the capitán added.

"I will have to fight them here," she whispered.

"It is no longer just your battle, Magdalena, I have sworn to protect everyone who lives in San Isidro... my men and I will fight with you."

"So will I," the priest added.

---------

El Divino waited as Tiago approached him inside the train.

All the bodies have been disposed of, Poon."

"Good. Unhook the car behind us and push it into the estuary, we have no need of it, we can get to San Isidro faster in just one."

Tiago nodded and left.

Realizing that he could not purchase a car-full of tickets without rousing the suspicion of the authorities, El Divino decided to wait for the last train that left Tutuban Station; it was a much smaller one, having only an engine and two cars. They chose an ambush point well outside Manila, where they blocked the tracks with huge boulders. The engineer slowed the train to a stop as soon as he saw the rocks -- in a flash, El Divino's men were upon the occupants -- the engineer, the porter and the handful of passengers inside -- were easily dispatched, their lifeless bodies all thrown into the waters of the nearby creek.

The Poon looked out of the small window beside him, evening had fallen and the sky above was thick with stars, his thin lips broke into a smile as he removed the dark spectacles that protected his eyes from the sunlight; it would be a relief to not have to don them until the next morning.

He felt the car shudder slightly as the bolt that secured it to the one behind was released. He heard Tiago shouting orders to the men as they pushed the car into the muddy water then he heard the hiss of the coal-fired engine as it sprang to life. The car started to fill with his followers. The journey to where the sisters were hiding would take two days -- San Isidro was the last stop on the route -- but he had waited... and hunted... for them for years, what was two days more?

He removed the linen cloth that was folded in his breast-pocket, inhaled its scent once more and folded the spectacles in it before placing the small parcel back in his breast-pocket, he closed his eyes and settled more comfortably into the seat.

As the train moved away from the estuary, a muddy figure emerged from the weeds growing alongside the creek -- Abel Medina, on his way home to San Isidro from Manila and the only survivor of the massacre -- gulped several mouthfuls of air before clawing his way onto dry land.

---------

"Buenas noches, Capitán," Aniceto, Don Lucas' mayor-domo, greeted Andres as soon as he opened the door, "Don Lucas and Doña Maria are in the salon, waiting for you."

"Thank you," the Andres answered as he handed his cap to the mayor-domo."I know the way, Aniceto," he added and made his way down the long corridor towards the mansion's main salon, the very same room where he had first met Lucas' aunt and uncle, the ill-fated Simon and Cecilia Monteclaro, three years past.

Though their first meeting had been under very trying circumstances, the capitán and Lucas Regalado had become firm friends and Andres and Porcia were frequent guests at the mansion. Many changes had been made in the mansyon since his friends had taken up residence; the numerous religious icons and brooding paintings of martyred saints favored by Lucas' late tiya, Doña Cecilia, had been replaced by much lighter adornments: tall, graceful vases and porcelain figurines stood on the mantels and cabinets while muted landscapes, many of which were done by San Isidro's artists, now hung on the walls.

Opposite the curved archway of the main salon was a portrait of Lucas' wife, Maria, painted by one of the country's most celebrated painter, Francisco Hidalgo. Normally, the jefe would have spared a few moments to admire the painting, but there was no time for that now, he headed straight into the salon.

"Andres, you should visit us more often," Lucas said, as the two men shook hands warmly.

The capitán managed a smile and nodded a greeting to Maria, standing beside her husband.

"Lucas is right, we have missed you and Porcia. Please," she said, motioning for him to sit on the long couch behind them.

"I'm afraid I've come bringing bad news, Lucas."

Husband and wife looked at each other.

"Has it something to do with some monster attacking Lisa Enriquez and the cuchero, Mang Julio, last night?"

"You've heard?"

"My foreman, Rogelio, was at the distrito central this morning and overheard the crowd at the precinto. This is San Isidro, compadre, and you know how fast rumors spread here and how more embellished they become with each recounting."

"Yes, my friend, but this time -- they are true."

Maria gasped and quickly reached for her husband's hand.

"Tell us how we can help," Lucas prompted.

---------

Sargento dela Paz stood outside the precinto and watched the flurry of activity in front of him.

In order to avoid panic, word had been sent to the town's neighborhood watches -- deputized citizens of San Isidro who kept vigil throughout the night -- to inform the residents of their respective streets that a pack of feral dogs was sighted near the city and that it was deemed safer for the town-folk to stay inside their homes while the beasts were taken care of; a call was also sent to all able-bodied men of the town to help in the operation, but by then, news of the halimaws had already spread throughout the town.

As soon as daylight broke, a procession of private carriages, rented calesas and people on foot were exiting San Isidro -- the ancient beliefs were still embedded in many of the residents and so was their response to such an emergency -- to flee!

With a sinking heart, dela Paz realized that his town would soon be battling for its very existence -- and there were not enough men left to fight. The capitán and Jason Williams soon joined him.

"I tried to convince them, but most of the business-owners have no real ties to San Isidro; to them, it's just another town, I'm sorry, Andres," Jason said.

"Yet you are staying, even though you have no family here."

La Dulcinea's manager smiled.

"My investment is larger than what my pockets can hold."

"Look at them," dela Paz murmured, still looking at the street, "they can't get away fast enough."

"Were you able to send the telegram to Manila, Sargento?"

"Yes, but the operator was not sure if the message went through, Jefe, he'd been sending messages the whole morning."

"Was there no reply?"

Dela Paz took a note out of his pocket and handed it to Andres.

"This was the last message he received, before the machine broke down... and it's not from Manila. He gave it to me before he left San Isidro."

The capitán read the short note.

"It's from Abel Medina, the train he was riding home last night was ambushed. He alone survived the massacre but he overheard some of the attackers talking about San Isidro," Andres crumpled the sheet, "the halimaws are headed here."

"Capitán, that train will be here tomorrow and it's the only one that services the town."

"I suppose that means we're on our own," Jason remarked.

"Have all the men reported?" the jefe asked as they entered the station. He reached for the packet of Tres Coronas on his desk, took one out and lit it.

The sargento nodded.

"All five are present, we also have nine tenant-farmers, Illuminado's four calesa drivers, counting Julio, eight men from the families who have decided to stay, Don Lucas and his four farmhands, the three of us and the only two business owners who have not fled, Señor Andrade who owns La Dulcinea and Turing Kirat, he...," dela Paz' voice trailed off.

"Runs the town's largest brothel. I am well acquainted with Kirat, Sargento, and we should be grateful he has decided to stay."

"Will that be enough... against a horde of monsters? And we know how formidable they are."

"And we know there are only three ways to kill them," added Jason.

"A bullet straight to the head, decapitation and fire," the capitán answered softly, "all of which means one has to get extremely close to them."

"If only we had more men to fight," Jason said.

"Unless one is a sure shot, it will take at least three to take one maligno down and behead him. Sargento," the jefe continued, "tell the men to never engage one alone, and since we do not have enough pistolas to arm everyone, make sure that their blades are not just sharp... but long enough to keep some sort of distance from the creatures."

"Andres, that may work if they attack singly, but we don't have a chance if they decide to come upon us en masse and from what Magdalena has told us, there's no hiding from them, they'll be able to smell us out," Jason murmured.

Andres did not answer; staring at the lit end of his cigarette.

"No, no chance at all," he finally agreed.

VII

The large clock of the Estacion de Tren del San Isidro chimed the hour -- half-past seven in the evening -- as the engine chugged to a halt, its hiss of released steam echoing eerily in the emptiness of the train station.

Tiago and ten cult followers leapt out of the solitary cab; their sharp sense of smell, much stronger than any mortal's, quickly scanned the surroundings.

"This place is empty, Tiago. El Divino promised a night to satisfy our blood-lust once we reached this town, there is nothing here but garbage and shadows," one of the followers said in a disgruntled voice.

"Be patient, peón, and never dare question the Poon again," Tiago answered, "the killing will begin as soon as --"

"Someone comes," another member said as faint footsteps approached them. They turned and saw two figures in the distance -- a man and a woman were walking towards them slowly -- the man was elderly, bent over and limping, leaning heavily on a crutch, while his companion aided him as best she could.

Tiago smiled, his men were bent on killing, but they would have to wait -- he intended to have his way with the mortals first -- especially the woman. He inhaled deeply, intent on savoring the aroma of warm female blood when he detected a more familiar odor, he realized what it was and opened his mouth to shout to his men, but it was too late, two shots rang out in rapid succession. The first bullet hit El Divino's assistant squarely between the eyes, the second pierced straight through his throat, a strange bubbling croak was all he could manage before he crumpled to the ground.

For a moment, the other halimaws were stunned as they stared at their fallen companion then at the two figures in the distance; gone was the bent old man, in his place was the capitán, now standing straight, with the rifle they had mistaken for a crutch, aimed straight at them. His companion had removed the scarf that had covered her head -- revealing the face of Magdalena Enriquez. She smiled at the malignos.

"Welcome to death," she said.

With a terrifying cry, the monsters charged the two figures, fangs and claws suddenly bared.

"Fuego," Andres shouted, "aim for their heads!"

The walls of the station reverberated with gun-fire as the rest of San Isidro's police force and the men of the town who could fire a weapon, rose from the trash bins in the station where they had been hiding and discharged their pistolas.

---------

El Divino and his followers looked down at the town. He had decided to divide the men into two groups: a small one, headed by Tiago, would take the train station -- there would only be a small crowd there since it was already late -- while he and the rest would attack the town proper itself. There would be little resistance from the residents, he was sure, and from what Trillanes had reported, the town was small and its inhabitants mostly farmers and small business-owners, certainly people who were averse to and unskilled in combat. The police force was insignificant, barely a handful of deputies.

The distant rumble of thunder caused him to look up at the night-sky, he wondered what the transformation into Sitan would feel like; it would not be easy -- it had taken many painful months to master changing into a bestial form -- the metamorphosis to the Lord of Evil would, doubtless, be a hundred times more difficult.

But the ultimate prize would be worth it; and there was the taking of the Enriquez sisters... the urge to mate with Lisa grew stronger with each day that passed and deflowering a terrified innocent was always enjoyable, but he also intended to take La Loba Blanca, herself and that would be far more pleasurable. He'd make her watch when he took her precious younger sister, Lisa, and once transformed into Lord Sitan, he would take the older Magdalena -- tearing into her flesh and maidenhead -- the way she had torn his men into pieces.

El Divino raised his hand and watched as the men left with him changed into sigbins, hounds who walked upright like mortals with a hunger for human flesh.

The sudden sound of gunfire pierced the night, it was coming from the train station! It was clear that Tiago and his group had met more than just "a little resistance." El Divino quickly waved off half of his followers to aid his second-in-command.

As he watched them run towards the train station, the clouds that had hung in the sky the whole afternoon parted slightly, revealing a sliver of light from the moon, it cast a glow on the hill where he and his men had been waiting, it was time -- once again he raised his hand -- he and the others descended to San Isidro.

---------

"Is everyone accounted for?" Lucas asked Jason as the two men stood at the double doors of the Basilica, watching Sargento dela Paz and the rest of the men plant torches around the church grounds.

Jason nodded.

"The elderly, the children and the women are inside the abbey," he answered. "Porcia Gonzales, Doña Maria, Lisa and Turing Kirat's three ladies are with Dr. Lazaro in the abbey's infirmary, preparing bandages and whatever else may be needed for the wounded, the older priests are there, too, in case..." his voice tailed off.

Lucas nodded, he knew how important the clergy's services were at this time, but he fervently hoped they would not be needed.

---------

Juan Murillo, the youngest of the guardia civil, averted his eyes as Magdalena sank her fangs into a hapless halimaw's throat -- he heard the crunch of the monster's neck -- and when he looked up, its severed head was in the maiden's hand. She looked at it with disdain then tossed it away. The young cabo marveled at La Loba Blanca's deadly skills, she had dispatched three of their foes in the same way, and was infinitely glad that she was on their side.