The Scarlet Dove - Issue 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Well, I've kind of got a whole look going already, she decided at last, taking it.

"I'll meet you guys there, alright!" She said, pressing the mask back onto her face and flashing a final wink.

Once more, the Scarlet Dove took to the sky.

Chapter Eleven

The Summit was swarming with people. Caterers were setting up tables and warming chafing dishes. Florists carried in lavish floral arrangements. Three different DJs were setting up speaker systems. An elite cadre of party planners were having nervous breakdowns. And a small army of hotel cleaning staff were making sure not a single speck of dust remained in the building.

And the cops. A battalion of Warden City's finest, sporting their dress blues patrolled the building. Familiarizing themselves with every nook and cranny of their assigned area. All keenly aware this was not your run-of-the-mill off-duty security detail.

Back at the Summit, Starling thought, rolling her eyes. I hope when this is all over someone will decide to tear this building to the ground!

Beneath her the caravan of black SUVs, led by a lone gray sedan, snaked through the city. The soaring heroine out paced them easily, making a wide loop around the hotel. To her surprise, there were no lookouts on the roof, or any of the surrounding rooves.

That either means everything is going down inside, she surmised. Maybe I've depleted their ranks enough they can't spare a man!

Below, Wallace and the others were arriving at the front doors. Starling swooped down to join them, skidding to a halt on her golden heels as the detective was getting out of the car.

An African American woman approached them. "Holy shit, Allen, is this for real?"

"Real as it gets," Wallace replied. "Washington, this is the Scarlet Dove, Scarlet Dove, Detective Washington."

The woman shook the heroine's hand, looking more than a little stunned.

Already the FBI agents were swarming the hotel lobby. The concierge began to protest but was summarily shut down by the no-nonsense agents.

"What's up guys, we doing this?" Calhoun called, already on his way to the door.

Starling, Wallace and Detective Washington hurried to catch up. As they marched into the lobby, all the bustle and commotion came to an immediate stop. All eyes turned their way.

"I'm looking for Chief Maddox!" Calhoun shouted as he reached the center of the lobby.

"What are you doing here, Calhoun?" a familiar looking officer shouted, stepping forward. "Private party."

"Shut it O'Malley, where's Maddox?" Wallace demanded.

"Screw you Wallace, I don't work for you, and I damn sure don't work for the Feds!"

Starling ignored the little police drama playing out. Her attention drifted, scanning the hotel for anything suspicious.

But there wouldn't be, she realized. The cops, the building, it's all his already...

"Alright, everybody calm down!" thundered a voice that sent chills through the redhaired heroine.

Maddox sauntered into the lobby. His dress uniform made him look bulkier than she remembered. His jacket was adorned with so many medals, he probably didn't even need to wear Kevlar under it. Blazing hazel eyes shot straight to Starling's, locking her emerald gaze for a moment.

"Wallace, Calhoun, you're about to make a big mistake," Maddox growled as he approached. "If you're smart, you'll get out of here now, take hero girl there with ya, and we can settle this first thing Monday."

"Chief Maddox, you're under arrest!" Wallace snarled.

Maddox laughed brazenly, glancing at Calhoun.

"Don't look at me, we're just backing up your detective here," the agent shrugged. "But I think he's pretty serious."

"Arresting me for what?"

"The murder of Jack Kane," Wallace declared.

"On what grounds?" Maddox's eyes narrowed, and a snarl lifted his lips. "The accusation of an unhinged vigilante?" He stabbed his chin towards the Scarlet Dove. "I'll have your badge before the sun comes up!"

"Oh you know exactly what grounds we have!" Wallace took a step forward. "Washington?"

Starling glanced around, only then realizing that the other detective had slipped away. She was standing at one of the DJ's tables. When Wallace called her name, she nodded and punched a button. Speakers crackled to life broadcasting an unmistakable voice: "Of course it was me! You don't hand off the murder of a man like Jack Kane! I walked right into his office...I looked him in the eyes and shot him dead!"

Maddox's gaze snapped back to Starling. Was he smirking at her? She stared him down with an ice-cold expression. He dropped his head and seemed to chuckle for a moment.

"Now, chief," Wallace's tone was dripping sarcasm. "Are you going to come quietly, or are Calhoun and his boys going to have to rough you up?"

"Fair warning," Calhoun said. "We're probably going to rough him up either way, we at the bureau really hate corrupt law enforcement."

"Oh, well, who am I to argue with the bureau?" Wallace smarmed.

"Well..." Maddox heaved a deep sigh. "Fuck it."

He lifted one arm towards Wallace and a blinding flash of energy erupted from under his sleeve! The bolt ripped into the detective, blasting him across the lobby. Calhoun fell back drawing his gun, but Maddox turned towards him as well.

The Scarlet Dove shot past the agent, before Maddox could unleash another blast. She hit the chief at full speed with her torpedo strike maneuver, both fists pounding his chest. There was a metallic thump and medals exploded from his chest as he went tumbling backwards. The heroine landed on her feet, fist clenched, glaring down at the man.

He was so solid, she thought feeling her hands stinging. Too solid even for Kevlar...just like...

Maddox was getting to his feet. All around them fighting was breaking out as the corrupt officers attacked the F.B.I. agents. There was shouting, even gunfire, but to the crimson haired heroine it all seemed muted. Little more than background noise as she stared down the man who had killed her father.

Chief Maddox faced her with a sardonic grin. Without breaking eye contact, he reached up and ripped off his dress jacket. Beneath was the dull sheen of black battle armor. As he discarded the shredded garment, his free hand reached back and tugged something up and over his head. A black mask covered his face, hazel eyes burning through white ringed eye-holes sporting horned designs at their corners.

"I should have known it was you all along," the Scarlet Dove snarled. "Dominion!"

To Be Continued...

{Author's Note: THANK YOU THANK YOU all just for reading!!

"We're in the end game now." -Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Who could say it any better? ~Lady Jane }