The Search Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So...you guys have actual proof that Bigf...Sasquatches are real?"

"That ain't enough proof. Not by a long shot," Woody piped in.

Big Jake took a sip of beer. "The video alone is worthless. People are gonna say it's all Hollywood magic or some advertising stunt. It might reach a couple million views on YouTube but, if there is one thing we've learned, it's that no amount of video evidence is going to change the world's mind. It's gotta be physical. That's why we have to keep up the hunt."

"If we go back into town for supplies and we lose the trail, that's it. There is no 'better luck next season'. These things are smart and'll be gone before we reach the first gas station. That's why only half of us are here. The other four are still hot on its trail, but if seven couldn't take it down, four definitely can't."

By now, Woody was leaning casually against the back. "Still not sure how they get from place to place so quickly. Big Jake thinks they've got some underground network."

"Underground network? Now you're really pushing it, pops. We live in an age of space travel and google maps. Why wouldn't we know about tunnels right under our feet?"

"The same reason people with foundational issues don't realize they got a problem until stuff starts rolling off the table. They aren't looking for it. But, whatever way it is they're getting around, they aren't risking us finding out about it. So they have to stay topside and on foot for now."

It was...a lot to take in. Fundamentally, everything he was saying made sense, but there was no such thing as a Sasquatch. But then what the hell was I looking at? The screen was paused on something that definitely wasn't human.

"So now what?" I asked. "Why show us this?"

"Finally, a sensible question." Big Jake gestured Woody to escort everyone out of the van.

The five of us and the four of them stood by the fire while we waited for Big Jake to limp over with a make-shift cane made from a sturdy branch.

"To be honest, we weren't sure what to do with y'all. We were afraid we'd have to make some tough decisions. It would suck to make the discovery of a lifetime only to go to jail for something petty like 'theft' and 'kidnapping'. But, having that footage changes everything now. You've seen it. Y'all know what we're trying to do. So, maybe we can cooperate."

Patty's face immediately fell and she uncrossed her arms. "Uh-uh, Big Jake. Not killing them is one thing, but letting them go free? That's not what we discussed."

"We're discussing it now. All of us." Big Jake groaned as he took a seat on a log. "I ain't chasing nothing with this leg, and them needing to be watched by at least two brings our nine down to six." He started counting on his fingers. "Someone's gotta set up the cameras. Someone's gotta set the traps. Two people have gotta stand watch. Someone's gotta track. Someone's gotta collect bait. Someone's gotta carry equipment; how many fingers am I holdin' up already, Patty?" She grumbled but didn't answer. "Now, we ain't been nothing but nice to y'all," Big Jake continued. "I know the meals haven't been fancy and that cabin isn't exactly the Hilton, but ain't nobody hit you or cut you or anything like that. We're only asking for some assistance up until the food runs dry. Then you guys can go on back to the city and forget any of this ever happened."

Patty shook her head. "This is ridiculous."

"You got a better idea, girl?" He pointed at Patty. "Because, if you do, I'd looove to hear it."

"So we just let them wonder freely around camp and hand them guns all willy nilly? For all we know, they could be in on the cover up! You seriously want to risk a bullet to the brain when we are this close?" Her protest was enthusiastic as if she had every reason to believe at least one of us would have it out for her.

"I may be under the influence thanks to those pills, but I ain't lost my mind just yet." Big Jake turned to us. "No guns, and you'll still eat what we give you. But you'll lift and carry like the rest of us. I don't think that's asking too much given that you all know now what's out there."

"Screw it. I'm in," Yasmin declared. We all turned to her in shock. "You all saw that thing. Stop looking at me like I'm crazy."

Gus rubbed his temples. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but...Bigfoot is real."

"Was, son. Was," Big Jake corrected.

"We're going to have one hell of a story to tell when we get back," Bart said to Terry who could do nothing but shrug in impotence at not having a solid reason not to go along with this.

That left me, and all eyes were certainly on me. Patty dared to stare at me as if she were innocent and simply waiting for the last stickler to jump on board.

"I'm mean..." People, myself included, always wonder why some victims never speaks up the moment it happens when someone does something bad to them. Why wait until the cameras are on them to spill everything? I had my chance to say something about Patty. I was less concerned about being believed and more concerned about the nature of our armistice. It hinged on everyone working together. And, just because being believed was less of a concern didn't make it a non-issue. What if they didn't believe me? They could have been friends for decades. She could be a wife and mother of three who would neeever do aaanything with a woman let alone TO a woman. I was nobody to them. I was a liability. I had no leverage in this. "Let's do it."

It was in that moment that I saw Patty smirk, and I realized my mistake. Perhaps she had been nervous about what I would say. Perhaps not. All I knew was that she felt confident I would keep our dirty little secret. And she was right. For now, anyways. Even when I sensed an opportunity, I was still too afraid to call her out. It might not happen publicly, but I'd be damned if I let her get away with it. I was going to tell Big Jake.

** ** **

From the moment we all agreed, we were put to work. The entire site had to be packed up within the hour which was easier said than done. At that moment, we were lodged at the Nuxui campsite but needed to get to a different one that was closer to where the others were likely to have trekked. According to Big Jake's map, there was a campsite called the Chitoc an hour or so away. It had actually been closed down and blocked off in the nineties when folks realized that a campsite right next to a steep cliff, while picturesque, made for a poor child-friendly destination. With time being extremely important, we couldn't wait until morning. So, we chose to traverse the darkened roads. Woody would drive my jeep, much to my ire. Initially, Terry attempted to sit next to Yasmin when she slid into the back. Call me childish, but I shut that down immediately and cut him off.

"Why don't you go ride with your friends?" I urged him.

"It's full."

Gus and Bart were in their jeep with Hal driving and Patty riding up front. I'd die before willingly getting into a car with Patty.

"There's room enough for five in a standard jeep." I looked him up and down. "Figure it out."

I closed the door and watched him shake his head as he started walking away. It was just me and Yasmin. After days of not having a lick of privacy, it should have been a nice, quiet moment for us. But, it wasn't.

"Why are you being this way?" she asked in a huff, arms folded.

I scoffed. "Because he likes you obviously."

"So?"

I arched my eyebrow. "You don't see the problem with that?"

"Are you that insecure about us?"

I wasn't expecting her to just say it. I dropped my arm around her shoulders. "If I'm being insecure, make me less insecure. Kiss me."

She attempted to shake my arm away. "It's not like our present situation puts me in the mood."

"What does then? Hmm? Stop pretending this mess has anything to do with it. You haven't been 'in the mood' for months now."

"I'm not having this conversation with you. Not now."

"Listen." She moved away. "I said listen." I didn't mean to be so rough when I pulled her back to me, but I had a point to make. I looked her dead in the eye. "Help me help us." I caressed her cheek. "We used to pick out baby names to pass the time. Now, we just...fight."

"Daneela."

"Yes, Yas," I held her close and kissed her hand.

"You're hurting me." There were literally monsters out there in those woods, yet she had the nerve to look at me with that much fear in her eyes.

I loosened my grip just in time for the door next to me to swing open. There stood Patty; big, imposing, and smirking. "Pretty boy wants to ride with his buddies. 'Fraid there isn't enough room for me."

"I call shotgun," Yasmin said quickly before exiting her side of the car.

"No, wait, stop." I attempted to grab her to keep her from leaving me, but she slipped through my fingers and closed the door behind her. She ran around the car and hopped in the front seat. I felt a hand pat my bottom with a little too much familiarity.

"You gonna just lay there, or do I have to climb on top of you, Miss Brown?" Patty's face looked serious, but we both knew which way she wanted me to interpret her comment.

With no other choices and no time to switch with anyone, I had to scoot over for her. Big Jake's van came with several seats, all of which he needed in order to lay down, and the front seat was full of stuff. Woody hopped into the driver's seat, closed the door and, at the start of the ignition, the interior lights went out, and we were on our way.

"Buckle up, everyone. Safety first," he said while not actually waiting for us to do just that.

I knew attempting to put space in between me and Patty was pointless. The minute I moved over, she took the middle seat. There was no radio all the way out here, but Woody came prepared. Pretty soon, we were regaled with the with his randomized playlist on his phone and, while he banged his head, I tried my hardest to fight back the tears. My relationship was falling apart. The woman I loved acted like she didn't want to know me anymore, and I knew no way of fixing it. It hurt even more when she seemed to lean over and fall asleep just like that. Wasn't she at all upset about us? Wouldn't what just happened keep her awake?

"Ugh, enough with that headbanger shit. You've got three ladies in the car," Patty bemoaned.

"Oh yea? What do you recommend?"

"Can't go wrong with love songs."

"You don't like Slipknot? Snuff is a love song," he countered, "but, whatever."

He tapped a few screens and pretty soon we were listening to a generic list of inoffensive sweet nothings.

"Much better." Patty said while resting her arms on the backs of the seats.

They seemed to stretched from one side of the car to the other and, needless to say, I was uncomfortable. I leaned forward when I felt her thumbnail tease the nape of my neck. I nearly lost my cool when the back of her fingers ran across it.

"Will you stop?" I hissed at her in the dark. "You don't have a gun pointed at me anymore. You don't get to keep doing this shit."

She kept her voice below the radio. "I want to show you something."

"What?" I asked without looking.

"That I don't need a gun."

I turned to face her, happy that she couldn't see the tears in my eyes in the darkness. I wouldn't want her to make the mistake of thinking she was the cause. "Never again."

"Or what? You'll scream?" She used her fingers to toy with my earlobes. No matter how much I jerked away, she persisted. Then, brazenly, she pulled my ear to her lips. "Maybe Yasmin knows how to play nice."

"Don't even," I laughed before straightening my face again. "If you think she'd just take it..."

"Think I won't try it?" She said roughly in an alarming quick-change. It was as if her very words could backhand me themselves. "Keep acting like you don't know who Mama is. See what happens."

She let go of my ear, and I fell back into my corner too afraid to move. For a while, I felt nothing. The music played, the blackened scenery passed, and Woody hummed along to a bit of Bruno Mars as the minutes ticked by slowly. Then the touching started up again. Her nails crept up my shoulders. Then they teased my neck and fell forward onto my chest. She would try it. There was no doubt in my mind. She would do something to my Yasmin. So, I couldn't fight her yet. Even as she abandoned the outside of my shirt for the inside, I just sat there and took it. It was a long, long drive.

** ** **

It was eerie; campsite Chitoc. Our vehicles cast the only light, and the cabins certainly had seen better days. Honestly, I would have recommended we all just sleep in the cars and call it a night, but Big Jake and his team were professional outdoors men. They got out, got to work, and gave me and the other four our own assignments. The clearing was far from clear, and every cabin needed light. Things like bug control were Woody's department, and kindling for a fire was Hal's. I made sure to stay on task despite my fatigue, and I also made sure to steer clear of the latrines. I kept a close eye on Big Jake, too.

Getting him alone had been a challenge. Someone always had a question to ask or a thing to show him or an item to return or fetch. Just because I wanted to talk didn't mean I wanted everyone else to hear. Finally, after LordMinion found something better to do than stay on Big Jake's hip, I had my chance.

I entered the van and saw Big Jake laid back just vibing to whatever painkiller he was on. I wanted to start slow just in case I touched a nerve with any accusations. "Been doing this a long time?"

He lifted his head up, but only barely. "I've always been a believer, and my daddy was a big hunter. As soon as I could legally drive and own a rifle, I started the hunt."

"Yea? And how long have you known everyone here?"

"Welp," he thought with his hands folded across his belly, "Minion's been around for maybe...twenty years?"

"And the others?"

"Hal, seven -- maybe eight -- years. Woody; about three. Then there are the others out there in them woods. We found each other during the early internet days and were as hardcore as they came."

"And Patty?"

"Bout six months, give or take."

"So, you wouldn't say you know her very well."

"Why?"

"She's..." I gulped, "...not a very good person."

"She been giving you some trouble?"

"That's an understatement. You seem like a man with some integrity. You probably wouldn't tolerate her type of trouble in your troupe."

"I'm an old man, girlie. I say what I mean and mean what I say. You're going to have to be blunt."

I braced myself and then just spit it out. "She touches me."

That got his attention. "Well...goddamn." I gave him a moment to think of something to say. "I'm sorry to hear that." That was the best he could do.

"I'm not interested in pressing charges or making a big deal out of this really. Honestly, I'd rather put her and...this...all behind me if it doesn't pan out. But, in the mean time, if you could do something..."

"I can say something for sure, but it ain't that simple."

"How so? Tell her to knock it off or take a hike. I don't mind picking up her slack."

"Can you track a fox fifty miles in a hurricane? Or catch a fish with your bare hands?" He sat himself up just a bit. "I have morals, but if she goes, we might as well pack it up now. We only found our squatch the first time because of her."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Seriously?"

"You don't seem to understand what's at stake here. This is the find of the century. You're a woman whose been made to feel slightly uncomfortable." He held out both hands and let one fall like a stone. "We gotta look at the big picture."

I nodded. It wasn't like I didn't get what he was saying. He was just still a big piece of shit for it. There was no point in me sticking around his van. With nothing left to say, I backed out of there. I was alone. Completely alone. I didn't have Yasmin, I didn't have Big Jake, and I didn't know the others. Yet again, I was left feeling like a child with no one to turn to. No one, except...

Woody had just finished cleaning out a cabin, and it looked like he was about to head out into the black. I ran to catch up to him.

"Can I help you?" He asked, whistling as I hovered behind him.

"Actually, I was wondering if I could help you."

"Can you do anything?"

"Like?"

"Lay a trap? Scout out a perch? Set up one of these?" He held up a complicated-looking camera.

"No."

"Then, sorry. You're useless. When I need a mule, I'll call you." He went back to his business for about two or three minutes before turning back around. "You're still here."

"I just...don't want to be alone."

Woody laughed; a reaction I wasn't expecting. "You find out Sasquatches are real, and suddenly you think they're everywhere. I wish it were that easy. It's funny you choose to hang around the clown with no nut sack, though."

I winced. "Sorry."

He gave his hand a single wave, dismissing it. After pressing a few buttons on the camera, he turned to me. "Might I offer up some advice?"

"Sure."

"Keep an eye on them." He motioned towards Yasmin who, predictably, was with Terry. They were smiling and laughing as they removed unnecessary stones and dead wood from the fire pit. Who knew what they were talking about, but it definitely bothered me how easily their chemistry came. "I admit that I miss a lot of stuff. But, I see that."

I cleared my throat and kicked a stone. "She doesn't really want to talk right now."

"So, is that it?"

"What? No."

"You sure?" He didn't wait for my answer. He just walked off with a flashlight, rifle, and camera equipment.

** ** **

Finally, it was lights out, and the five of us were back where we started; all crammed into one cabin. Except, this time, we didn't mind. The door wasn't locked on the outside, and being together kept us warm and secure. There was just one problem; I had to go. I had spent so much time avoiding the latrines and potentially Patty that my dumb ass actually thought I could hold it forever. I couldn't.

"Yas," I whispered as I shook her awake. "Yas."

"What?" she answered sleepily.

"Come with me to the bathroom, please."

"Are you kidding? It's right there."

"I really need you to come with me."

Yasmin sighed. "Look, Danny..." Danny. It had been a while since I heard that name. "I realize we have some things to iron out. Tomorrow, I promise we will talk."

This was something I really needed to hear. That being said, I wasn't trying to bait her into having 'the talk' with me. I just needed to use the goddamn bathroom. "Yas, please."

"Tomorrow." She rolled over and tucked her head deeper into her sleeping bag.

And that was it. I was on my own again. So, without turning it on, I grabbed my flashlight, my coat, and I got up. It was such a short distance. I could make it. I took a look to either side of me, and then ran for it. There was a dim glow in the first cabin but, other than that, darkness. I opened the door and tried not to think about the creepy crawlies in the corners. I just needed to go. I turned the flashlight on, sat it down in the middle of the floor, and had a seat myself.

Relief in its purest form.

I was so happy, I was embarrassed. I could have cried. That's how much it meant to me to be able to go to the bathroom alone. I must have sat there going for two minutes straight.

*knock knock knock*

I jumped, but then pulled myself together. It was probably Yasmin. "Occupied."

"I saw you run here, baby girl. You know you're not allowed to go without me."

My heart raced and my breathing quickened. "G-go away."

"A funny thing about these old bathroom doors is that they are locked with a simple little swing hook. I could stick anything, like a credit card, right through the crack here and..."

I looked for anything that might bar the door; a plunger or something. But why would there be a plunger when the bathroom was twenty years old and a literal hole in the ground? The door creaked open slowly with my worst nightmare standing on the other side.