The Second Chance Ch. 08

Story Info
Jean Sutton fights back.
7.7k words
4.41
3.8k
6

Part 6 of the 11 part series

Updated 12/06/2023
Created 03/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the eighth chapter of my first loving wives' story. I hope the story continues to interest my readers as I develop it. I realize that there has not been much sex in this story as it deals mostly with issues of fidelity and love. I promise there will be some sex as the plot evolves. However, as I developed my characters I felt compelled to make them true to themselves and their personalities. In this way there is logical consistency, and the story is more complex and true to life.

In this chapter Anne as Jean Sutton encounters her husband again and fighting for her marriage tries to set things right for her and her husband.

I want to thank those of you who have left me feedback. I hope that you continue to comment on my work because by addressing your criticisms it already has made the story better. Please comment and rate my work.

Chapter 8 The Second Chance: Jean Sutton fights back

Thursday morning could not come soon enough. I was in the lobby in Columbia Presbyterian hospital Roosevelt Division and nervous as hell. Robert had not recognized me and while I was confident that I could fool him, I was not sure how to broach the subject of our marriage without raising suspicions that I was more than an innocent bystander. Furthermore, I was extremely nervous about a second encounter with Robert because I sensed that he was getting attracted to Jean Sutton and I was not sure how I felt having my husband falling for the new me and not the old me. Still, if reconciliation was impossible, then I could use Jean Sutton's body and personality to pry Robert away from Stacy's clutches.

I had a session with Dr. Lambert two days before this meeting and I specifically asked him for advice on how to approach my estranged husband. He was giving me advice on what to say and how to talk to Robert.

"Anne, Choose the right time and place: Find a suitable environment where you can have a private conversation without distractions. Ensure that both of you have enough time and space to express yourselves openly." He had said.

Well, if Robert did not know that I was his wife, altered by plastic surgery, then that sort of heart-to-heart talk that Dr. Lambert thought we would have was not happening. Nonetheless, I found Dr. Lambert's advice helpful. I thought that as a beautiful, attractive woman, I could use some persuasion on Robert to at least consider talking to his wife, and even place some doubts in his mind that Anne had been unfaithful. I would have to find someway to pry him away from Stacy however, if I wanted to talk to him alone. The bitch was guarding him like a hawk and wasn't letting me get anywhere near him.

My first encounter with Robert had gone well. Rob had not only failed to recognized me, he was obviously attracted to me. At one point he seemed to connect with me, when I made that stupid remark about my favorite aria while he was peering into my eyes. The combination must have triggered in his mind a feeling of familiarity. I think he subconsciously registered Anne's presence to him which definitely improved his mood.

Of course, I felt guilty about fooling my Robert at all! He was my husband and eventually, I suppose, one way or another the truth will come out. Whatever I did now I would have to justify to him in the future.

As I dressed up for our meeting, I wanted to wear something that would allure him away from Stacy, something that looked professional but still showed off my assets. I wore a white cotton dress that hugged my hips with a black belt that emphasized my slim waist (slimmer than Stacy's waist) and black open toe sandals. My neckline was not showing off cleavage, but the tight dress allowed the outline of my 36C breasts, and my silky bra allowed my nipples to show. So, although completely covered, it really did not hide my round full shaped bust. My hair was tied back to show off my face with high cheek bones and my pouty lips were coated with a cream-colored lipstick. The eye shadow was tastefully light, and my look was that of a professional woman.

In the hospital lobby a large black security guard Who I knew as John accosted me and smiled soaking in all my body in an uncouth manner, in a way that made me feel extremely uncomfortable. He asked me about my business and then asked me to kindly register as a visitor but not before expressing the hope that I find a job there. Then he tried to chat me up, asking me if I had a boyfriend. He wanted to know if I lived in the area. I stood there awkwardly not wanting to start a conversation with this man.

That was when my husband rescued me.

When I saw Robert, I felt so relieved to see him walking in the lobby by himself. He was not dressed in casual clothing like the first night but in more formal attire. He looked professional and handsome dressed in a tight tailored blue designer suit. He scanned the room and his eyes brightened on seeing me. He hurried towards me and spoke, "Jean, you look gorgeous this morning!"

"Thank you Robert and I must say that you look very handsome in that suit. Is it a Zegna?"

He beamed when I complemented him, tucked his fingers inside his lapel, stuck out his chest and grinned and nodded his head. Then, we walked together through the hospital lobby as we started my tour. As we walked, a tall, strikingly handsome young doctor wearing green scrubs holding a tray of plastic capped coffee cups approached us as we headed for the elevators.

"Hello doctor Savino, we just finished closing the abdominal incision on Rose Garcia and I think we got the whole tumor and there weren't any suspicious nodes on frozen section," he said as he looked at me and then at Robert as if to ask if it was ok and not a HIPPA violation.

"It is ok Billy, Jean is a friend of mine who is applying for a NP position here. That is wonderful news Billy. How's Rose's BP?" He asked.

Billy was staring at me smiling with a foolish grin. But, when Dr. Savino questioned him, his expression changed to a look of annoyance as he was forced to pry his eyes away from me to discuss the case with Robert.

"Anesthesia had to give her a few shots of IV labetalol after a unit of blood and the BP has come down somewhat, but I am sure Dan wouldn't mind some help in her post-op care. She is in recovery now!"

"Billy, I'm off call to Sam Johnson today, I was just here to show my friend around the place."

"Rob, please we just need some help from you with her blood pressure post-op. Sam doesn't understand hypertension care like you do. She is going to be NPO for a while."

Robert turned to me, "Jean, would you mind if I took a moment to see my patient in post operative care?"

I knew Robert would not be able to resist the urge to check on his patient. If I were working in the recovery room, I would be able to assess his patient for him and would have worked with him to treat the blood pressure. I enjoyed working with Robert, but it wasn't just me, everyone loved him because he was always responsive and kind to the staff as he worked on the toughest issues to help the patients heal.

"It is quite all right Dr. Savino. I don't have any other plans for today." I said.

Robert smiled at me and then turned to Billy, "OK, I will be by to see Rose and help you out. Just give me a few minutes to get my friend settled somewhere she can wait for me. She has an interview later today for a position on the staff."

Billy grinned at me and spoke,

"Well, Miss.... Uh..."

"Sutton, Jean Sutton, I introduced myself.

"Well Miss Sutton, I must say that you would be most welcome here. We can always use a good nurse practitioner working in the recovery room. While Robert visits with our patient, maybe I could take you on that tour of the hospital myself. In fact, I am at the end of my shift. How about grabbing a bite to eat with me afterwards? I could tell you all about your prospects here working for us in the O.R.!"

I knew Billy as a cock sure young colorectal surgeon who was a pussy hound. He was all too happy to distract Robert so he could have me all to himself. He thought he was charming, but it turned me off how he put down Robert. So, I put him in his place.

"I don't think so Doctor uh...."

"Manson .... William Manson."

"No Doctor Manson. I am afraid that although I appreciate your generous offer, I would prefer to wait for the good Doctor Savino here!" I patted Robert's arm. "Oh, and he already asked me to get a bite to eat afterwards. "I said.

As we walked away, the look of rejection on Dr. Manson's face was priceless. He was so presumptuous and arrogant that I had always wanted to bring him down a notch.

Billy went on his way while Rob and I walked towards the operating room and the adjacent recovery room. Robert said, "I just want to tell you that you are the first woman I know that rejected Billy's advances. He thinks he is irresistible!"

"Well now Doctor Savino, I could tell his type from a mile away, a handsome young surgeon who thinks that all the girls will swoon over him. He is not my type!"
 
"And just who is your type? "Asked Robert coyly.

"Hmmm... well, somebody who is more seasoned, sympathetic, handsome...cultured, and uh, oh yes, with a little bit more depth of character." I said, looking at Robert with a sly smile as if he fit the bill.

"Brava, the good Doctor Manson has a lot to learn about charming a sophisticated woman. He needs to learn to treat women as his equal." Robert said.

"No, as his superiors. "I corrected him.

Rob laughed with me, "Well Jean, you know I am afraid that that you cannot have the official interview just yet. I spoke with Arnold, and he will need to see your C.V., transcripts and references first."

"Yes, I know Jake had called me yesterday to tell me and ask if I still want to go on the tour. But why did you offer to come down anyway? And where's Stacy, your girlfriend?" I said with genuine surprise in my voice.

"Well, I wanted to meet you again and personally show you my hospital. Arnold agreed to meet you unofficially." He said.

"And Stacy?"

"Stacy decided to sleep in late. When I told her your interview was over, she assumed you wouldn't be coming at all so she didn't ask to go out or do anything else with me this morning, although she did promise me she would. I should have known. She never gets up early on Saturday and so I left her apartment early today leaving her sleeping, "he said.

When my husband told me that he was living and sleeping with Stacy my blood boiled. Jessica had only told me that they were dating not living together. I was livid with rage at my former girlfriend, but I was disappointed with Robert that he had succumbed to her charms so readily.

We arrived at the entrance of the recovery room which was protected with an electronic lock that required an ID badge. Robert swiped his card and the doors swung open. I could see an all too familiar scene of nurses and doctors buzzing around.

Two nurses pulling a stretcher passed me coming out of the recovery room and I recognized one of them as my old friend Wendy. I smiled a bright smile and wanted to greet her but stopped myself. She looked at me with a smile but with curiosity in her eyes.

Robert let them pass and Wendy said hello to Robert. The other nurse was an attractive young redhead, thin and filling out her scrubs with her sexy curves. She also smiled broadly at Rob and gave him a friendly hello.

Wendy was married but I could plainly see the hope on the redhead's face when she saw Robert. He was no longer wearing a wedding ring and thus was an eligible bachelor. I could tell by the way Robert greeted her that they were friends and that she would like to be more than friends with him. A pang of jealousy went through me.

Both women gave me a smile and questioning glances as they passed me through the automatic doors.

Robert then spoke, "Jean, I am sorry, but you cannot come into the recovery room since it's a restricted area. Why don't you take a seat in the waiting room, and I will come out to get you afterwards.

While waiting for Robert I thought to myself how dedicated my husband was, even working on his day off. I looked at the people around me all anxiously waiting for news of their loved ones. I missed my job at that moment. I missed my friends here and working along with my husband.

When Robert came back, I thought to myself,

I would have the golden opportunity that I had hoped for to talk to Robert alone about his marriage. But how could I bring it up to him? I felt nervous at the prospect.

I could recall Dr. Lambert words, "Be honest and authentic Anne. Start the conversation by expressing your sincere feelings. Emphasize that appearances can be deceiving, and sometimes, the heart knows the truth that the eyes cannot see."

Honest and authentic? How could I be honest if I were starting out the meeting disguised as another person? I was pretending to be Jean Sutton, not Anne O'Callaghan. Was I being a coward? Should I just come out and tell him the truth? Would complete honesty be better?

No, I knew that I was doing the best thing, because Robert wasn't ready to listen to Anne. I had already begun to insert myself back into Robert's life and I loved it. The thought of being with him again was so captivating, even if he thought I was another person. I knew I had caught his fancy; I was able to influence him, and it was necessary because the bitch was still trying to trap him into a loveless marriage for his money. I had my chance then and I might never get another opportunity to be alone with him.

My thoughts were interrupted by a man's voice in the recovery room.

"Dr. Savino, do you have any news about my wife?"

"Mr. Garcia, Rose is fine. I just want you to know there is no evidence that the tumor has spread beyond her colon. Her blood pressure is high, but we are bringing it down with IV medication."

"Thank God doctor and thank you for convincing Rose to get the colonoscopy. If it weren't for that we might not have discovered her tumor in time."

I felt so proud of my husband at that moment. When he finished talking to Mr. Garcia, I took him by the arm.

"Robert, you look like you need a break. Let's grab some coffee together before we continue the tour of your hospital." I suggested.

"Come on." He said and we walked towards the hospital cafeteria. I had to pretend I did not know the way. We sat at a table, and we chatted. Robert went on the line and brought us two cups of coffee and two Danish rolls.

We made small talk at first and Robert seemed to relax and started smiling. He told me stories about his patients which I already knew but pretended to hear for the first time.

When he asked about me, Jean Sutton, I told him just that I'm a simple girl from the suburbs with a boring life.

"I find that hard to believe. I imagine you are popular with loads of friends. Just while sitting here, I saw a bunch of men on the staff eyeing you and even some of the nurses. I am sure they would all jump over one another to be your friend!" he said euphemistically.

"Yes, we'll that gets boring quickly!" I said, which brought a laugh from Robert.

Then, I went somewhat negative.

"Robert, are you living with Stacy? "I said after taking a sip of my coffee.

"I did spend the night there last night, "Robert said sheepishly.

"Is that the right thing to do? I mean you are still a married man. It gives the appearance of impropriety. It must also be very disturbing to your wife's family and yours for that matter! "I blurted out not trying to contain my anger.

Robert smiles disappeared, and he looked flummoxed. He must have sensed by my tone my profound pain and anger. He looked at me in the eyes with tense lips.

"Jean, remember that Anne was cheating on me multiple times that I know of and with multiple random men. Out of a sense of nobility and respect for what we had I did not want to serve her while she was recovering from a bad accident. But the marriage is over. Our families know there is no turning back. I hardly think that my actions can be considered inappropriate in comparison to what my wife did behind my back, "he said indignantly.

He continued speaking sternly, "Stacy says that my ex-wife was always actually bragging about her extramarital affairs at the girl's night out. Stacy pleaded with her to stop cheating on me, but Anne kept saying what a clueless cuckold I was. When Jake showed me a video of Anne getting penetrated by a stripper barely a week before the party where she screwed three men, I realized that it was a common occurrence for Anne. No one in their right mind could expect me to remain married to a woman like that, "he said.

"Jean, I was hurting so much when I realized how much she had cuckold me. I had discovered from Jake that Anne was always a slut from high school and on. Jake told me she put out for everyone but then when we ran into an old boyfriend of Anne's Billy, he told me that Anne had practically slept with the football team."

As Robert continued his explanation I could hear Dr. Lambert's advice in my head, "Validate his feelings. Acknowledge his pain, hurt, or disappointment that he may have experienced due to the separation. Show empathy by validating his emotions and demonstrating that you understand the impact your actions had on him."

I realize that my negative tone was a big mistake. I wasn't getting through to Robert. This was not a good way to begin the conversation. I suppressed my anger and tried to empathize with Robert. I realized that I had overreacted earlier in our conversation by chastising him for not keeping himself celibate. In Robert's eyes my betrayal was real, devastating and the end for us as a couple. Divorce was the only option for Robert. As he understood the facts, reconciliation was not possible.

"Robert I can't imagine how you must have suffered." I said with sincerity.

"Jean, I will never forget the shock of awakening that night at the party to find my wife, the woman who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, the woman that I wanted to have children with having sex with three men. I was completely distraught, lost for weeks. I went around, doing my job like a zombie, unable to interact with anyone, wondering where I had failed and what had I done to deserve such disrespectful treatment from the woman who I had given everything."

I grabbed his hand across the table, and I looked at him with sympathetic eyes, "Robert, I understand how deeply hurt and angry you are right now. Going through a betrayal like this can be incredibly difficult, and it is natural to feel a mix of emotions. I am here for you, and I want to help."

"Thank you so much Jean for your concern and offer for support. Stacy was also a big help comforting me and letting me cry on her shoulder. She is a caring and loving woman. I was so grateful for her support."

"Robert," I interrupted, "I understand that you were going through a rough time with the pain of your wife's betrayal but wouldn't the proper thing to do be to wait until you get closure before starting another romance? Stacy is talking about marriage. Can you trust your feelings in this emotional whirlwind you are in so soon after breaking up with your wife?" I pressed the issue.

Robert gave me a look of uncertainty. He then looked down at his napkin and fidgeted with his spoon. I had hit a nerve. Robert knew that Stacy was pushing him in a direction for which he was not ready.

"At first, she was just a close friend looking out for me. I told her that I would not serve my wife divorce papers while she was in the hospital. I said I did not want to enter another relationship while I was still hurting and grieving about my first marriage."

"Then how did you become a couple?" I asked while gripping my coffee cup. My palms were sweaty, and my stomach felt nauseous. I really did not want to hear this. But I needed to hear it myself and then be the judge if Robert could be forgiven.