The Second Hundred Years-Sequel Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sheriff Jasper Dempsey came on the line. The Sheriff was old school in more ways than one. He wanted to make sure people could hear him so he talked very loudly on the phone.

"Hello little girl," Dempsey answered in a loud voice. "How's that boy and good for nothing husband of yours? That old scoundrel William still eatin you out of house and home?"

"Everyone's fine Sheriff," Alyssa replied laughing at the Sheriff's questions.

"I know I'm irresistible to you pretty young things," Dempsey teased, "but what can I do for you."

As Alyssa explained the confrontation with Jenkins, she picture Sheriff Dempsey. He was the exact opposite of the stereotypical county Sheriff. J D was tall at 6' 4 with a big solid body; he was no fat belly southern Sheriff. He was one of those men whose age was hard to guess. With his dark hair and his suntanned face he could be anywhere between 35 and 55. Alyssa guessed that J D was about 40 because he'd worked for William at Eagle's Nest when he was in his late teens.

"Don't you fret little girl," Dempsey said after Alyssa finished her story. "I'll have a word with Mr. Jenkins."

"Thank you J D. We'd appreciate anything you can do." Alyssa lowered her voice and stepped outside. "I'm afraid that if something isn't done that Lewis will go to see Jenkins. And we both know how that would end up."

"Tell that man of yours to let me handle it," Dempsey replied. "It may not be as satisfying to him but he won't end up in jail for assault either. I'll let you know what happens when I talk to Jenkins. Y'all take care now."

********************

Sheriff J D Dempsey went to Jenkins' hotel but the man wasn't in. Guess I could wait for him, Dempsey thought. But I never was too partial to sittin around. He went back to his patrol car and picked up the radio microphone.

"Dispatch this is Dempsey," he said into the mike.

"Since when have you called me Dispatch?" Sarah asked. Sarah Reed was sort of an office manager, personal assistant, and the real boss in the Sheriff's office. She did much more than her job description said. If Sarah ever retires I'll have to shut down the office, J D thought with a smile.

"Sorry Sarah. Got my official hat on today. Put out a Bolo out on a Bryce Jenkins. Sorry Bolo means be on the lookout for. He's stayin at the Hotel St. Michael and probably drivin a car with a Center Corp logo on it. Jenkins is a big man from what I hear, well over six feet and close to 300 pounds."

"I know what Bolo means J D, I was the one that explained it to you," Sarah replied a little testily. "You want this Jenkins arrested if one of the Deputies sees him?"

"Nope, just have them call me and let me know where he is. I want to have a few words with him about a personal matter."

About an hour later Deputy Farr called Dempsey. "Sheriff that fella you were looking for is havin supper at the Palace. Looks like he just got his food."

"Thanks Farr, I'm on my way. Should be there in twenty minutes or so. Keep an eye on him and let me know if he leaves."

Bryce Jenkins had just finished his rib eye steak and was thinking of ordering another one. He was a big man and needed a lot of food. Motioning to the bartender, he held up his empty beer mug. The waiter brought him another beer and Jenkins ordered a second steak.

J D sat down at the table after the waiter left. "Mr. Jenkins, I'm Sheriff Dempsey. Like to have a few words with you if I might."

Jenkins nodded and asked, "Something wrong Sheriff?" Jenkins wasn't too worried about some hick sheriff from some backwater county.

"Don't rightly know," Dempsey replied. J D found that people underestimated him if he acted like a good ole country boy. "Understand you had words with Alyssa Randal earlier today. That right?"

"I simply made an offer to buy her ranch."

"Heard tell you made some kind of threat. Something about it'd be a shame if any of the Randals got hurt."

Jenkins sat back and thought for a few seconds. "Nope, I didn't threaten her. It was just an observation."

"Well to my way of thinkin that was a threat." Jenkins started to reply but Dempsey held up his hand. "I think it would be best if you stayed away from the Randals. I don't want any trouble in my county or with my people. You get my meaning Mr. Jenkins?"

"Sheriff, I don't think I like what you're saying." Jenkins looked at Dempsey for a few seconds. "You can't prove I did anything, its Mrs. Randals' word against mine. If you harass me my attorney down in Phoenix will have your badge. You get my meaning?" Jenkins asked sarcastically.

Dempsey's first thought was to swat Jenkins up side his head and arrest him. But he held his temper. "The people of Yavapai County hired me and only they can fire me. Phoenix is a long way away Jenkins. It might take a while for those big city fellers to do anything; in the meantime you're in my jurisdiction."

He paused and stared back at Jenkins. "I'll make it plain for you, just so we don't have a misunderstanding. Stay away for Alyssa Randal. Don't make any more offers to her. Don't make any more observations to her. Don't talk to her again. If you do you'll answer to me, badge or no badge."

The Sheriff didn't seem to be intimidated by Jenkins' size and Bryce wasn't used to people who didn't cower in front of him or who talked to him in that way. Before Jenkins could respond, the Sheriff stood and walked away. We'll just see, Jenkins thought.

********************

James Randal was waiting for the school bus that would take him and others back home. The teachers had a conference so school was only a half day. He and his friends were sitting on a little grassy knoll under a tree. James had just finished explaining a math problem to one of his friends when a mountain of a man walked over to him.

"You must be Jim Randal," the big man said.

"My name is James," the boy replied. "Do you know my Mom and Dad Mister?" Most of the children had gathered around when the man walked over. There weren't many problems with strangers in Prescott but they had all been taught to look out for each other.

"Met your Mom, haven't met your Dad yet," the man replied. The kids whispered among themselves, he looks like a giant. "Guess you're really gonna miss living on your ranch when your folks sell it"

"Eagle's Nest isn't for sale Mister," James replied a little heatedly. "You must be thinkin of another place."

"They're gonna sell to me," he said. They just don't know it yet, Jenkins said to himself. "Tell your Mom and Dad, I said hello." Jenkins said and walked away leaving a confused boy behind.

"Slow down there son," William said as James rushed into the kitchen. "You're as wild as a tornado."

"Where's Mom and Dad?" The boy asked breathlessly.

"They're down at the corral. What's the problem James?"

"Sorry Grandpa, can't talk right now," James said and he rushed out of the house toward the corral.

It wasn't like James to brush him off. There must be something important bothering the boy, William thought. He grabbed a cigar and followed the boy down to the corral. He got there in time to hear Alyssa question James.

"Did the man tell you his name?" Alyssa asked. James shook his head. "What did he look like?"

"He was a really big man. Some of the kids called him a giant." James thought for a few seconds. "He's taller than Dad or Grandpa. Bigger too. He smiled a lot but he didn't mean it"

"That's Jenkins," Alyssa confirmed.

"Son of a bitch," Lewis said in an angry voice. "Guess I'll have to pay a visit to this Jenkins."

"Hold on Lewis," William said. "Let's talk to J D first." At the look on Lewis' face he added, "I'm not saying to ignore it but let's see how the law handles it first." William had a grim smile when he continued, "If J D can't help us, we'll go talk to Jenkins ourselves."

Back in the kitchen Alyssa called the Sheriff's Department. "Is Sheriff Dempsey in? This is Alyssa Randal," she said.

"Oh hi Alyssa. This is Sarah. J D is over to Crown King. Something about some vacation homes being broke into. He'll be back late this evening I suspect."

"Thank you Sarah. Ask him to call us as soon as he can please."

"This about that Jenkins feller you called about last week?"

"Yes it is," Alyssa answered. "He approached our son at the school bus stop."

"I can't call the Sheriff on the radio or on his cell phone," Sarah said apologizing. "Neither one works up in those mountains. J D usually calls when he gets back in range so I'll let him know then. Sit tight he'll get back to you soon. I promise."

Alyssa told her family that the Sheriff wasn't available right then. Lewis stared out the kitchen window at the mountains rimming one side of the valley. After a minute or so he turned back into the kitchen.

"It's only one o'clock," he said. "If I push it a little I can get there by 2:30."

"Get where?" Alyssa asked. "You're not going after Jenkins are you?"

"Wait a bit Lewis. At least until we talk to J D," William suggested. "I know it's hard to wait but this isn't the Wild West anymore."

"No I'm not going after Jenkins," Lewis replied. I wouldn't mind getting him in my rifle sights," he nodded at William, "but this isn't the Wild West anymore. So I'll take another way."

"What way?" Alyssa asked afraid that her husband would confront Jenkins.

"If you have a problem with a mad dog you go to its owner and get him to handle it," Lewis said. "I'm going down to Phoenix and see Jake Sanders." Seeing the concern on Alyssa and William's faces he added, "No bloodshed, but I'll let him know he can't keep messing with our family."

"We're coming with you," Alyssa said. William nodded his head agreeing.

"Yes you are," Lewis replied surprising both his wife and his grandfather. "Even James is coming. This is a family matter and we all need to be there."

It was 3:15 when the Randals got off the elevator and walked across the outer office of Jake Sanders. Sharon, his secretary, was shocked to see two men, a woman, and a young boy stride passed her desk. The younger of the two men threw open Sanders' door and stepped into his office followed by the rest of the group. Sharon paid attention to what went on in the office and knew that this had to be the Randal family. Jake's in for it now, she thought.

Sanders was sitting behind his desk. He looked up from the email progress report that Jenkins had sent him. "What the hell are you doing here," he asked. Sanders recognized Lewis and William from their last encounter.

"I see that you remember me Sanders," Lewis said. "Good, I won't have to explain who we are. We've come to tell you to leave us alone. Leave Eagle's Nest alone. I told you before the ranch is not for sale and neither is the Benson place. My boy doesn't want to sell it either."

Sanders stood and reached for his phone. "I'm calling security and have you thrown out."

William quickly stepped over to the desk and pulled the phone out of Sanders' hand. "You're gonna listen to what we have to say and then we'll leave. Not before."

"Call off Jenkins," Lewis ordered.

"And if I don't?" Sanders asked with an evil grin.

"I'll take care of him like you would any rabid animal," Lewis answered. "Then I'll come for his owner. You crossed the line when you let Jenkins accost my wife. Then he tried to scare our son. That was so far over the line you can never get back. I repeat, call off your dog or I'll put him down and then come to see you."

"This isn't the 1800s Randal. You can't take the law into your own hands anymore."

"You're right. This isn't the old west, if it was you'd already be dead," Lewis replied. "But know this, I'll not let you or Jenkins or Center Corp run roughshod over my family."

Sanders saw the look in Lewis' eyes and realized that he was in real danger.

"Just so you know, we've called a news conference for tomorrow at noon," Lewis informed Sanders. "We're going to tell the media about your attempt to force us to sell our home. I don't think the adverse publicity will make you a favorite of the board of Center Corp."

"Lewis has done worse than what would have happened in the old days," William said joining the discussion. "He's hurt you. He's taken away your power and probably your job." He paused and added, "Couldn't happen to a more deserving feller."

"Send Jenkins an email, call him, send up smoke signals but put a leash on him," Lewis ordered. "If he still there when we get back to Prescott...well, you won't like the consequences."

Sanders slumped back into his chair. He knew that he was beaten. The elder Randal was right; their press conference would seal his fate with Center Corp. The company would distance themselves from the bad publicity, putting the blame on him. He nodded at the Randals and picked up the phone. This time William allowed him to make his call.

On the drive back to Prescott, James asked, "Dad what did you mean when you told Mr. Sanders that you would take care of Jenkins and then him?"

"I'm sorry you had to hear that James. I'll explain when you're a little older."

James stared out the window of their truck for several minutes. Then he said, "Oh, now I get it"

As they drove up in front of the ranch house, Alyssa's cell phone rang.

"Hello little girl. This is Sheriff Dempsey. Understand y'all made a trip to Phoenix."

"Yes we did Sheriff. I think everything is okay now."

"I don't know if it was my talk with Jenkins or whatever you Randals did today but he's gone," J D said. "The desk clerk said that he checked out real quick and burned rubber leaving town. I can't find hide nor hair of him anywhere in town."

"My husband seems to have handled the situation very well," Alyssa replied. "Thanks for the call but I think we'll be okay now."

Three days later, Sanders was unceremoniously escorted out of his office and through the front door of Center Corp's building by two security men. William had been right. As a result of the Randals' news conference, Sanders actions were featured on TV, radio, and in the papers.

Center Corp immediately gave press releases to counteract the bad publicity. They claimed that the company would never condone a policy of intimidation and pressure and that Sanders had been acting on his own. They publicly apologized to the Randals. Center Corp also sent a letter of apology to the family.

Lewis looked at the letter. "Trash mail," he said and threw it away without opening it.

********************

It'd been a month since the family's trip to Phoenix. James got off Joshua at the trail head leading up to his Grandpa Jim's burial site. The boy had gotten permission to visit the site alone. He made the climb and stepped around the rock butte to Jim's resting place.

James walked over to the platform, sat down leaning against one of the upright supports and talked to Jim for an hour as if they were sitting together. He told Jim about Grandpa Josh passing and leaving James his ranch, he told him about Jenkins, how Grandpa William persuaded Lewis not to shoot the man, and he told Jim about the whole family confronting Sanders.

"I'm really proud of my Dad. He really wanted to shoot that Jenkins and Sanders. Dad made Sanders and that company, Center Corp, back down and leave us alone." James smiled up at the platform. "Grandpa William told me that he had to stop you from giving that Sanders a beating too. You and Dad sure think alike.

James stood up, stepped back, and looked up at the platform. "Guess I better go. I promised Mom I'd be back before dark." He turned to walk away and stopped. Turning back James said, "Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Joshua and me have become good friends. Dad says Joshua won't let anyone but me ride him. Guess we sorta belong to each other now. See you in October Grandpa."

The boy walked to the granite wall and stopped. He looked back to Jim's resting place and said, "Grandpa, I wish you could have stayed with us so I could have got to know you," James said and then walked around the rock butte.

A large golden eagle spiraled down and quietly landed on the burial platform. The big raptor cocked his head sidewise and studied the boy as he walked down the trail toward their friend Joshua.

There was a serenity in the scene as though things were back on track now. The future of Eagle's Nest and the Randals looked as it should.

The End