The Senator

Story Info
What is more important a marriage or a political career.
3.2k words
4.35
52.9k
79

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 12/15/2023
Created 12/10/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
012Say
012Say
661 Followers

I watched a movie, State of Play. A part of the plot involves a politician, who had an affair, getting his wife to make a statement to the press, to save his political career. That notion intrigued me - hence this story.

This story is not real - it does not speak of any political party. There is no implication that one party or another would do such a thing. It is a total fantasy. The premise is a woman Senator is a leading candidate for the current Presidential race - another fantasy. The story presents a cynical view of politicians, if that is not for you, there are many other stories you might prefer.

<<<<>>>>

I was sound asleep. I heard a man's voice say, "Paul!"

I sat straight up. He scared the shit out of me. I reached for my bedside table, where my Glock lived.

"Paul, it's me, Dan. Sorry to wake you this way but we have an emergency."

Dan, Dan, who the fuck is Dan? Oh, Dan Jenkins? He runs Doris' office here in town. "Dan, why in the good fuck are you in my bedroom? I have a phone. I have a doorbell."

"I could not use the phone and didn't want to be seen at the door. We have a really big problem and need to talk."

"Dan, I have only one problem, some asshole has chosen to wake me" I looked at my alarm clock, "at 2:45 A fucking M."

"I am sorry for that, but this could cost the Senator her chance to be President. It is bigger than you or me."

"Dan, get out of my bedroom. Get out of my house. If you do not I am going to do one of the following: shoot you and call 9-1-1-, call 9-1-1 and tell them you are here to cover up some political faux pas, or just physically kick your ass and let you explain why you are discovered beaten and bloody on my front lawn."

He backed up a couple of steps, a tactical error, allowing me to get my gun. I pointed it at him. "Whoa, whoa, just a minute, don't shoot!"

"Dan, one last chance. Turn and run for the door. I probably will not shoot. You have 60 seconds to get out. If you've not done that I will kill you and tell 9-1-1 I shot an uninvited intruder. Since you will be dead, you'll have no argument."

"But this is..."

"55, 54, 53..."

For some reason, Dan decided my wife's potential political career was worth less than his life and he beat a hasty retreat. I wondered how long it would take for him to call her team and her team to call me.

I was regaining consciousness, you know the difference between being awake but drooling, and being able to string two thoughts together. Hell'uva time to start the day, but I got up hit the toilet and then the shower - just a quick rinse. I was drying off and my phone rang.

"Yeah." I said without emotion.

"Paul, this is John Schmidt, the Senator's ..."

"John, I am interrupting because I don't care to talk to you, to your assistant, to the under secretary of the interior, the President, or anyone else. If whatever Senator you are speaking of has an issue, she should call me, directly."

"I am afraid that is not possible."

"Oh my, let me make sure, has she been injured in any way?"

"Well, not physically, but you see..."

"John, really great talking with you, if my wife has something she wants to ask me, have her call. If you want to talk to me, call my office and arrange an appointment. I think I have some time in six or seven weeks." I disconnected.

In less time than it would have taken me to put a text together, my phone pinged, and I looked at a text from John. "Please, do not allow the press to talk with you before you have talked with the Senator."

It took me a bit longer to respond - "John, you are dreaming, if my wife wants to talk to me before the press gets to me the clock is ticking. I am not going to hide like some thief. Meanwhile, tick tick, tick."

Being the husband of a successful politician has been an interesting role in life. I must say, my wife is an outstanding politician - she can speak to any crowd and get them on her side. Our state is truly "Purple" going one way in one election and the other in the next. Doris Russell, my wife, appealed to a majority of voters, not only in our state, but nationally, as well. There was serious talk of her becoming the presidential candidate in this election, or the next.

I am the owner of a successful investment firm. Right now, we are having great success bringing in money from a variety of sources to fund startups. It is a high-risk investment, but I have a knack for being able to predict success - at least often enough that buying into our portfolio has yielded an extraordinary return. The downside, if there is one, is I am tied to our offices and the frequent travel to evaluate companies seeking our financial support.

I'll say this. It is beyond difficult to maintain anything like a normal marriage when both parties are extremely successful. The possibility of children was the first casualty. In my opinion, they need parents who participate in their young lives. I knew I would be deficient in that regard and Doris told me, if we were to have kids, we'd both need to step up. We easily agreed that children were not our priority.

The real difficulty is in maintaining any kind of partnership. You'd think when she was elected Senator and moved to Washington D.C. that would have made a big difference - but it really didn't. She could come home often, to be with constituents, I could travel there for long weekends, whenever I chose. We didn't see each other during the week, anyway.

We are both 38, we married at 25, and by that time we were both on our way toward success. Early on, no matter how hard we worked, our time together was critical to that success. Being able to talk to someone who doesn't judge you and is looking only to provide insight is important. Equally important is offering advice to someone who may be leaning the wrong way, in such a manner that it is seen as trying to help. And, of course, there is the pure animal attraction - celebrating victories, or forgetting defeats - aggressively between the sheets is another way to grow together.

But you hit your thirties and the job demands grow and all of a sudden your body requires sleep, at least on occasion. Something has to give and slowly but surely, it becomes the partnership. Doris and I swore to each other we would not let that happen. (Like we could stop the rain from falling.)

What really pissed me off was the nature of politics. If ~60% of people think something is bad - a good politician needs to learn to either agree, or be able to mumble unintelligibly, instead. As time went on, she'd be trying to talk herself into why this was better than that - when I knew she thought just the opposite - and my advice made her life more difficult. While she agreed with me, she had to push back because it was the right political move.

We fundamentally disagreed. I thought her best political future came from being herself. She was being taught that her chances were better if she got herself on the correct side of the less critical issues. Her manager, or whatever he called himself, started getting her ear, more and more.

We'd had our first big fight about two months ago, she accused me of trying to sabotage her because I would not agree with one of John's bullshit views. I told her if she thought John was more in her corner than I was we were in trouble.

Did you ever say something and really regret it? She took what I said in, and believed it. I wanted her to see we were partners and John was leading her astray. What she heard was we were in trouble.

So, this morning when I was beset by some flunky on her staff, I knew it was a tentacle from the we are in trouble talk. I wasn't going to hear it from them; I was going to hear it from her.

My phone rang; Doris' ringtone. "Good morning." I said, not meaning it.

"Why are you being so difficult?"

"Doris, my instinct is to hang up. Why would you say I am being difficult."

"John told me..."

"Aha, now you are going to tell me why John thinks I am being difficult. Fuck John."

"Okay. You're right. I have a problem and John convinced me it would be better if he explained it."

"I see. Talking to me right now, would you say John had a bead on it?"

"No, I suppose not."

"Okay, now, what is this big problem."

"Things haven't been right between us. You know that."

She paused - wanting confirmation? Not from me.

"We used to rely on one another. Now, more often than not, John gives me my best advice. I rely on him more and more."

Another pause. I decided this was her hole, let her keep digging.

"There is no easy way to say this. John and I have fallen in love."

So far, still no surprise - though, in love was disappointing. Silence seemed my best option.

"We were caught tonight. In Bethesda. We decided it was far enough away and had dinner in public, some reporter caught us kissing. He somehow got pictures of us taking each other's clothes off as we entered my hotel room. He let us know what he has. The story is going to break in the morning. We have to get ahead of it."

Another pause.

"Don't you care? Aren't you going to say anything?"

"You are speaking in declarative sentences. I understand what you've said. You haven't asked me anything."

"Have we really fallen this far apart? You loved me, once."

"I still do. I am not the one reporting falling for another."

"All I can say is I am sorry. Even more sorry that I need to ask your help to get me through this crisis."

"My help? You are kidding? No, I take that back. This is the new you, the story is more important than the facts. What is the story, by the way?"

"John thinks we can sway this to my advantage. There is such a double standard, men can have affairs, women can't. You and I can stand up, in front of the press, and tell them - it happens, I am sorry and you are forgiving. We can embellish a little, make it a part of our relationship - which we say remains strong."

"And does it?" I asked, sarcasm dripping.

"Does what?"

"Does our relationship remain strong?"

"Well, that's the thing. We stay married, but not - if you know what I mean."

"No, and don't bother to try to explain it. You want John, fine, you both have my blessing. You want to be married, fine, I'll work on forgiving you. But I will see to it you and John become a thing of the past. Your choice."

I could hear muffled conversation. You wonder what goes on in people's heads. My wife and I are trying to see whether we want to stay married, and she needs to discuss it with her lover.

"A divorce will ruin me. I will give John up."

"Fire him. Today." I said in my best, one alternative voice.

More muffled conversation.

"No."

"Then, I'll file in the morning."

More muffled conversation.

"Okay. Is that all?"

"No, that is the condition to get us started. We are going to work with a counselor and see if we can save our marriage. You are the one who lives in the world of political fantasy. If we are to be married, we will mean it. If you can't do that, then live with the consequences."

Her tone changed, "I always loved you. You're right. Living a lie can never work. I'm so sorry, can you ever forgive me?"

"Doris, I'll be honest with you - as I always am, I have my doubts."

"It is heady stuff, you know? Hearing your name and President of the United States together." More muffled conversation. "Excuse me, I asked John to leave. His strategies have gotten my name this far - I lost my head. Forgive me."

"How long?"

"Since right after we argued. I got to thinking being President was more important than being married - obviously, I can't have one without the other."

"There's a ringing endorsement."

"It is the best I can do right now. Give me a chance. I convinced myself we were over. But it wasn't right, and I knew it. John had me convinced I could not have the presidency and you - and he convinced me I had to effectively let you go, too. Like I said, his strategies..."

"Are fucked up - as I told you, all along."

We talked for a while. Our agreement was she would fire John, publicly, in the morning - well in everybody else's morning, it was still just shy of 4:00am. She would say they made a mistake, and her marriage was too important to her. She would also say she and I would address the press within the next week.

<<<<>>>>

All of the morning news shows broke with Doris and John pawing at one another at her hotel room door. It was a great political news story.

In the next hour it was announced that at 9:00am Senator Russell would make a public statement.

Doris came out, dressed professionally, and said she would read a prepared statement and then take questions.

"Last night, I made a big mistake, which I now regret. My campaign manager and I became too close, and we let it get away from us. My political career is important. My marriage is more important. This morning I dismissed my campaign manager.

"I also have spoken with my husband, apologized profusely, and we have agreed to do whatever it takes to restore our wonderful marriage. He and I will have remarks for you in the next few days.

"I will take your questions."

"How long has this affair been going on?"

"It was not an affair. It was a one-time mistake."

"Why fire John Schmidt?"

"While the mistake was mine, John and I crossed a line. It happens. I am not proud of it, but not alone, either. When you make a mistake, you need to prove you won't make a similar mistake. That meant John and I had to part ways."

"So! You don't trust yourself?"

"Yes I trust myself. My husband has legitimate reasons to doubt me, at this point. One way I could demonstrate to him this was a mistake was to dismiss John, err Mr. Schmidt. He is an extraordinary talent; he will land on his feet."

The questions went on. She handled them well. They became less and less harsh. It was clear she was winning the audience over.

It was Wednesday morning. I had work to do. We had work to do. We decided our public statement would be on Monday morning. I pushed for Friday, but it is a bad day for the news cycle.

<<<<>>>>

"You looked good in the interview this morning. With a good follow-up interview, I think you are going to be alright."

"I hope so. I have worked so hard." Was her response.

"Find us a counselor in DC, I will be there as often as I need to."

"Okay. I will also work on our statement." The statement seemed more important to her than the counselor - maybe that is natural, she is playing for probably the world's top prize.

"Can't I do my own?" My question was more a test than a sincere wish.

"I'd rather it be polished, if you don't mind."

"You'll do it yourself?"

"With help. I am surrounded by word merchants, you know. When are you coming to town?"

"I have a busy week. I don't see me getting there before Monday morning. Why don't you set up the presser at Noon. That will give me time to be ready."

<<<<>>>>

My individual work went as I expected.

<<<<>>>>

Monday came quickly. I had our company plane fly me to Washington to arrive at 7:00 am. Doris' staff was there to meet me. We drove quickly to her apartment.

We kissed at the door.

"Oh, I love you so." She said.

"I love you more." I returned.

"Here is your script - let me know what you think."

I read it. I had to admit, it had a real ring to it - just sincere enough, just enough emotion, and real hope that we could live our lives as the loving couple we had always been. My remarks were to follow hers.

<<<<>>>>

"Good afternoon. I have brought my husband of 13 years along today to report on our progress since last week. I am pleased to say we have a strong marriage which can overcome my indiscretion. We are going to see a counselor twice a week for a time, until we can find all which needs to be done to restore our bond."

Her remarks went on for a while. She explained her error and how contrite she was. It was very effective. After nearly 10 minutes, she asked me to say a few words.

Unfortunately, for our presentation today, I had done a little homework on my own. I routinely use a number of private detectives to assure start-ups are what they claim. I arranged to have the Senator and her paramour discreetly followed.

She might have dismissed him, but he remained her lover. He made his way to her apartment after midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning. He never left, I wondered where he was hiding while we worked on our presentation.

"I have always disliked political theater." As I said it, her eyes got big. This was not part of my script. "My wife and I made a few agreements to save our marriage. Unfortunately, she honored none of them and I am here today to announce I have filed for divorce, and she will be served after this, this, what would I call it? Performance.

"I am happy to answer any questions."

There was a stunned silence. I have to hand it to her, she is unflappable.

"I cannot believe it! A political dirty trick. My husband never intended to take me back and set me up for this - outrage."

I smiled and walked off. Several reporters asked me questions, which I answered honestly. Who knows how honesty will stand against political truths?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can decide for yourself how this might end. My belief is the truth always wins out and that Doris and John reset their sights, running for dog catcher and hoping to build a new career on that longshot win.

012Say
012Say
661 Followers