The Sins of the Fathers Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Spencer joined in, "I know I'm not representing anyone here; but, Jennifer, will Chelsea testify to the abuse?"

Dr. Sam looked up at that point, from what appeared to be deep thought. Finally, she shrugged her shoulders and lifted both hands, "No, I don't think so. I don't think she can! She's using every reserve of bravery she's got just to talk to us. Honestly, I don't think she could handle confronting him. She might, but you just can't count on it right now. In my opinion."

Jennifer pulled out her phone. "Riley, this is Jennifer Grant. I need to ask a question about an ongoing case. If you can answer, it'd help things a lot."

She listened for several seconds; obviously, Riley was lecturing her over the phone."I understand, but this is a simple question. What do you have on Paul Traynor that you can count on? I'm representing the daughter's interests. Jack's here listening, too."

More static from Riley, then Jennifer said, "Look, Riley, you'd have to share it with us in discovery, anyway. Do you have anything we haven't already seen?"

Another pause.

"Because, Riley, we have kind of a crisis here that we're trying to deal with." Rolling her eyes, she glanced over at Samantha.

"A crisis of conscience, I think." She looked directly at Jack.

"Really, just the tape? No other evidence. No computer stuff. No other tapes. Nothing else?" She made eye contact with the other three, just to make sure they were listening. The crowd of three was all ears.

"So, the only thing the DA has is that tape of 'consensual sex' between an eighteen-year-old daughter and her forty-three-year-old father?" Jennifer asked in resignation.

Jack whispered to Jennifer, "Ask him if he'll be in his office for a few minutes. And, can you call him back?"

"Hey, Riley will you be in your office for a few minutes? I may need to call you right back."

She rolled her eyes again in frustration. "NO, this is not some kind of plea bargaining thing. Riley, you've known me my whole adult life. Have I ever mislead you?"

"Thanks, less than ten minutes." She hung up and looked at Jack. What are you up to, Jack Grant?

Jack spoke simply and efficiently, "Jennifer, I want to talk to you privately. In Spencer's office, right now."

Jack looked at Spencer. "Go, babysit Traynor for a few minutes. If he touches Nikki's picture again, act like her godfather, but don't physically touch him. Got it?"

"Sam, can you sit with Chelsea?" She nodded and went to relieve Mary.

Mary popped out and headed for her desk. Jack added, "Mary, check to see if Judge Jacobs has some free time this afternoon...in about two hours. Maybe an hour, not more."

"Shall I have him book the hour?"

"No, just check. Tell him we'll know if we need it in about ten minutes."

Jack took Jennifer by the elbow, almost dragging her into Spencer's office.

"Jack, what's this about? I'm not bargaining with this fucker. My client needs to be far away from him. She needs to be away from him right this second, this minute, this afternoon!"

"I know."

"Jack, I can't stand by and watch as he takes her out of here."

"I know."

"Jack, you can't just watch that happen either." You can't, not again!

"I know."

"Jack, then what the fuck are you going to do about this?!"she demanded, totally frustrated.

"I can't do anything. What he's told me is protected. I already know that what you believe is true; but, I can't tell you how I know. Attorney-Client privilege."

As he spoke, he wrote a note on a small piece of legal pad paper and slid it across the table.

"Goddamn it, Jack Grant!" Jennifer swore at him, "You can't just watch this time. When will you finally stop watching evil and do something about it?"

She picked up the note and read it, then looked at Jack. Jennifer Grant ran from Spencer's office to the conference room. High heels and all, she still ran. Samantha looked up as she entered. Jennifer held up her hand. Picking up the remote, she hit 'POWER'. When the screen came on with the paused video, in the lower left hand corner was a time stamp.

"When is your birthday, Chelsea?" Jennifer actually held her breath.

"December 31, why?"

"New Year's Eve?"

"Yes, I was almost born on New Year's Day of the next year. Why?

Jennifer laughed. It was almost a joyful laugh. The time stamp in the lower left-hand corner of the video read, '12/31/2015 21:05:39'.

"Do you know how close you were to midnight?"

"My mom always told me that one more minute and there would have been a newspaper article about me being the first baby born in Newport in 1997."

"So, your birthday's on New Year's Eve." One minute till midnight; I'll be damned.

She walked back into Spencer's office. "Jack Grant, I love you. Even after all these years, you still know how to show a girl a good time."

Jack gave her his most devastating good-guy smile. I know.

"How did you notice it? I didn't."

"I watched it three times, before I found what I was looking for."

"Jack, I'm sorry for what I said about why you probably watched it three times. That was mean-spirited of me. And, you didn't deserve it."

"I know." I'm just not going to mention the raincoat and popcorn. Oh, and the erection!

"And your call to Judge Jacobs that Mary told you about when I pulled you out of your office?" Jenn asked.

"You heard that?"

"Yeah I don't miss much, remember?"

"I petitioned the court to withdraw."

"Why?"

"We don't have time for that right now, Jenn. Call Riley, tell him what you've noticed, discovered, found. But, don't tell him who pointed you at it."

She handed Jack back the small yellow piece of paper. He wadded it up and popped it into his mouth. He chewed and swallowed. Subpoena that!

She laughed. "Why, Counselor, you're getting better at getting rid of the evidence."

He simply smiled. "I know."

She dialed Deputy District Attorney Riley. After a very brief discussion, Jack distinctly heard Riley exclaim in surprise 'Son-of-a-bitch?!' over the phone.

Clearly excited, Riley immediately began shotgunning questions at Jennifer. In turn, she fired back her answers. "Yes, Traynor is here, now. Jack Grant's office. Yes, Jack's listening."

"Fifteen minutes. You're sure? And, Riley, you'll be with them? That's great! We'll be here; I wouldn't miss it for the world!" Jennifer hit 'END CALL'.

She sighed deeply. "Jack, I..."

Jack just shook his head. "Right now, go prepare Chelsea; she'll hear the ruckus and her dad will definitely not be pleased. Prepare her, so it's not a shock. I'm guessing, if you and Dr. Sam have been talking with her, then she's pretty raw right now. She needs to know she's not the cause of her dad being arrested."

Jack walked back into his office. Spencer was lifting Paul Traynor by his lapels from his chair. Since Traynor's feet weren't touching the floor, it didn't look like Spence was just helping him up. Traynor had Nikki's picture in one hand.

"Listen to me, you fucking, degenerate, child-molesting fucker! If you ever ask me something like that again, I gonna fucking kill you!"

Jack tried to pry Spencer's hands from the lapels of Traynor's jacket.

"All I asked him was if he'd ever seen Nikki naked," Traynor wailed, flailing his arms. "I mean he's her godfather; I just thought if he's that close with your family. I asked if, when he looked at the tape, did he think of Nikki or his daughter. Look; I understand, guys. You both live alone with teenage daughters. Temptation is something I really understand well, what with my Chelsea being as tempting as she is."

As Jack wrenched Spencer's hands loose, Traynor dropped unceremoniously to the floor at their feet, but the incitement didn't abate. "Hell, think about it. If you each fucked the other guy's daughter, it wouldn't even be incest."

Spencer roared, "You fuckin' sicko!" He came at Traynor again. Jack had to push him out of the door.

"Did I hit a nerve with that one?" Traynor yelled from the floor. "So, you two have thought about it! You have, haven't you? That's why you can't argue my case isn't it, Spencer?"

It was at this moment that the police arrived. Traynor saw the police and pointed to Spencer. "Thank God you're here! Officers, that man attacked me! Arrest him!"

Paul Traynor was still sitting on the floor holding Nikki's picture, when Deputy District Attorney Riley helped him politely to his feet and informed him he was under arrest for 'felony child abuse', 'third degree statutory rape involving a minor', 'possession of child pornography with an intent to distribute', 'production of child pornography', 'sodomy with a minor', and 'oral sodomy with a minor'.

Then, Riley added gleefully, "And, of course, 'incest of a minor'. Oh, and if we can make it stick--any of it--you get a free listing in the National Sex Offender Registry at no extra charge."

Jack removed Nikki's picture from Paul's now-handcuffed hands. He looked straight into Traynor's eyes. "Don't talk to anyone without me present. Do you understand?"

One of the officers began to read Traynor his rights, but Deputy DA Riley intervened. "Let me, I want to make absolutely sure he understands his rights. I want there to be no confusion or any kind of procedural error that could be a basis for an appeal."

As they walked him out in handcuffs, Chelsea, Jennifer, and Dr. Sam stepped out from the conference room.

Traynor stopped in front of his daughter. "Chelsea, what do you have to say for yourself, young lady?"

As Paul Traynor stood there, Chelsea simply looked up at him in the handcuffs and said, "Bye, Daddy."

She stood there, staring at the office door long after it closed. "Dr. Sam, is it over? Is he gone?"

Dr. Sam spoke first; she hugged Chelsea. "Yes, it's over."

Chelsea turned to Jennifer. "They won't let him go? Like last time?" Is it really over?

Jennifer took her hands. "It doesn't matter. You won't be there. He won't know where you are. He can't hurt you anymore."

"No more bruises?" the girl asked.

Sam smiled. "No more bruises."

Mary cleared her throat. "Sorry to interrupt, but all of you have a meeting with Judge Jacobs in forty-five minutes in his chambers."

"Shit!" Jack swore. "Jennifer, call Riley; ask if he can make it. Tell him it's important."

Almost an hour later, Jennifer looked around the judge's private office, his chambers. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She smelled the books, oak, and leather. It seemed she'd been in offices like this her whole life. This was a place where 'The Law' got done. Right here, in this room and other rooms just like this across the country, was where decisions happened that changed lives, shaped cases, worked deals, and generally kept the wheels of justice turning.

Judge Jacobs entered the room in standard black judicial robes, which he was already in the process of removing. He went, as he always did, to the small sink in the bathroom and washed his hands. It was a cleansing, like a surgeon washing the blood off his hands before the next patient. It was somewhat like Pontius Pilate washing his hands of it all. The decision-of-decisions.

Judge Jacobs was a no bullshit, get it done, small-town judge. He was sixty-years-old and well- respected in legal circles. His judgments didn't get overturned. Ever.

He hated to have his time wasted.

"Okay, boys and girls, why are we here?"

Riley spoke, "Paul Traynor. You gave us the warrant to search his house. The incest case."

Jacob's eyes never darkened, but the mood in the room did. "Okay, what's up?" He glanced over at Jack. "This better not be more of your 'Motion to Withdraw' shit. I already said, No."

Spencer stepped forward. "I can't represent him."

"Look," Jacobs began, "I read the statement about watching the tape, making everyone's dick hard. Not good enough to deny a man decent legal representation. Denied."

Spencer argued, "Now, there's more. I kind of threatened to 'kill him'."

Riley smiled. "He did your, Your Honor. I saw it happen at their office about an hour ago. And, I'm pretty sure he meant it. I mean, he meant it at that moment. He wasn't acting."

Jacobs frowned at Spencer. "Shit, good enough. What did he say to provoke you?"

Spencer hedged, "I'd rather not say."

Jacobs fired back, "I'd rather you did say!"

"No!"

"I could hold you in contempt."

"You could, but I have absolutely no contempt for you or for your position when I refuse to repeat what Traynor said." Spencer thought fast. "Your Honor, I believe I'm prohibited from discussing it, based on it being a conversation in preparation for trial with a client."

Jacobs leaned back. "You're asserting 'Attorney-Client Privilege', while requesting a withdrawal as attorney-of-record?"

"I am."

"Nice move! They must be still teaching law over at University of Oregon." UO was Jacobs' school; he was an alumni.

"Lewis and Clark, sir; but, I hear University of Oregon still teaches it, too." Spencer just smiled.

Cocking an eyebrow, Jacobs declared, "Granted."

Instantly, Jack cleared his throat. "Your Honor, I was just as offended by what Traynor said as Spencer."

"Evidently not, you didn't threaten to kill him."

Jack snapped back,"Well, I thought about killing him." Even Jack knew the response was feeble.

Jacobs asked quickly,"Jack, do you know the difference in fantasy and reality? You know, stuff in your head versus stuff out here in the real world?" He waved his arms around the Judges Chambers.

"Yes, Your Honor, I believe I do."

"So, for example, you understand the difference between thinking about having sex with, oh let's say, your teenage daughter and actually having sex with her. You understand, one is a fantasy, and the other is a crime?"

Jack blanched, which everyone mistook for anger. "Yes!"

"Good! Motion denied." He scanned the room. "Why the hell are the rest of you here?"

Riley spoke first. "We rearrested Paul Traynor."

"Why? I thought she, what's the girl's name?"

"Chelsea," Jennifer supplied.

"I thought Chelsea was eighteen and it was consensual. I never figured that you'd get a case good enough for a court trial out of that tape." He pointed at Riley. "By the way, did you get hard watching the tape?"

Riley blanched in real anger. "No! I did not."

"Why not?" Jacobs probed.

"Excuse me?"

"Why not? Jack and Spencer there seem to think anyone who sees this will get a hard-on for justice," the judge purposely pointed at Jack.

"Maybe it's because I don't have a daughter, sir."

"Ah...okay. Just wondered. What are the charges?"

"Felony child abuse', 'third degree statutory rape involving a minor', 'possession of child pornography with an intent to distribute', 'making child pornography', 'sodomy of a minor', 'oral sodomy with a minor'. Deputy District Attorney Riley added, "And of course "incest of a minor." Finally, Riley finished.

"Did I miss something here? I thought she was eighteen-years-old," Jacobs asked, clearly perplexed.

Now, Riley cleared his throat. "The tape in question had a time-stamp that no one noticed. Seems like Mr. Traynor videotaped himself and his daughter three hours before her actual eighteenth birthday."

Jacobs laughed out loud; he loved good attorneys. "So, watching the tape did give you a hard-on for justice?"

Riley smiled.

"Which one of your bonehead paralegals or deputy DAs noticed the time stamp?"

"She did," he pointed at Jennifer.

"Why are you here Mrs. Grant? I didn't know you were working for the DA now. Or is it Ms. Grant? Jesus, don't you have a fucking name of your own?!"

"It's Justice." She always had to smile, when she was required to give her maiden name in a court.

"You're Judge Edward Justice's daughter?" No shit?! Now that's something I would have never expected.

"Yes, sir, I am."

"I didn't know that."

"Who and what my dad was doesn't matter, sir. I represent the child. I'm seeking an injunction to prevent further contact of any kind between Paul Traynor and his daughter, Chelsea."

"Granted." Jacobs made a note on a legal pad that he kept nearby.

"So, you noticed the time-stamp. You must have watched the tape, too."

"Yes, sir, I did."

"Did it make you wet?"

Jennifer exploded, "I beg your fucking pardon?!"

The withering look she gave Jacobs made him wince. Jack cringed; and, Spencer actually tried to leave the room.

Riley sputtered, "Your Honor?!"

Holding up a hand to silence everyone, the judge stood his ground. "Did it excite you sexually?"

"No."

"Why not."

"Because, I once HAD a father."

Judge Jacobs was taken aback. He took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes; it bought him time for a strategic retreat.

"Ms. Grant, Jennifer, I apologize. My humor may have been inappropriate. It wasn't meant to offend. It was meant to explore. In my zeal for the truth, I may have overstepped the bounds of decency."

"Yes, sir, you have." She wasn't being defiant; but, she wasn't backing down either.

"I would like to offer my sincerest condolences, even in this awkward moment between us, for the loss of your father. I know it has been a few years, but I can't imagine your grief." Let's just change the fucking subject, shall we?

"Thank you, Your Honor."

"He was a fine Judge; I respected him as a jurist. I never liked him personally for some odd reason that I can't and have never been able to put my finger on. But, that doesn't change the fact he was a fine judge and is missed. I heard he was a hell of a Friday-night poker player."

Jack blanched, holding his breath.

Jacobs went on, "He must have been proud to see you practicing the law."

Jennifer never wavered in her gaze. "No Sir, he wasn't. And, he wasn't that good a poker player either."

"Really?!"

"He sometimes bet things he couldn't afford to lose." She looked at Jack, who finally breathed again.

Jacobs thought about that one for a minute. "What else do all of you want?"

Deputy District Attorney Riley spoke right up, "We'd like him held without bail until pretrial motions."

"Done!"

"Anything else?"

Everyone shook their heads, No.

As they filed out, Jacobs headed towards the small bathroom to wash his hands again. Over his shoulder, he called back to them, "See you all in court then!"

***** As always, a plea from the writer. Score and comment. Score especially as I watch the ratings to get a feel for your enjoyment of the series. Comments often get replies if they are substantive. I appreciate them all.

So, just below this note is a set of star ratings ... please select a rating 1-5!