The Sixth School Ch. 059

Story Info
Retracing Her Steps...
5.6k words
4.82
3.8k
19

Part 59 of the 60 part series

Updated 04/24/2024
Created 04/05/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BlaQQuill
BlaQQuill
664 Followers

Author's note.

1). Feedback from my readers is my fuel to keep writing. If you enjoy my work, please take the time to let me know in the comments. It does wonders for my motivation to write.

2). If you read the chapter, please take the time to rate it. It's just a few clicks of the screen.

***

All Characters in the story are 18 years of age and above...

***

Chapter Fifty Nine: Retracing Her Steps...

It was five years before Greg left the cave.

Five years in which he was being taught how to walk. While he could walk from the very first moment he came into this vision, he couldn't walk the way obsidian earthmovers could. His mother would spend half her time outside the cave foraging for food. Both her own and some that she would bring to him. The other half, when they weren't resting was spent training. Her mother would walk around him in a circle, stop, and then look at him. Greg didn't know if being merged with the beast had made him stupider or if it was memory being a true reflection of how it had been with the real beast. However, it took a month for him to understand that when his mother stopped, he was supposed to mirror her actions by walking a full circle around her and coming to a stop where he started.

And if that wasn't bad enough, it took him almost a year to understand that this wasn't just a game, his mother was actually trying to teach him something. In sharp contrast, the large beast would walk around him, her steps quiet as a whisper. He, on the other hand, would sometimes walk, sometimes run around her like an excitable child, his footfalls echoing out in the large cave they were in. The difference didn't register in his mind until he'd already done it thousands of times. When it finally registered in his mind what his mother was trying to get him to do, then began four grueling years of trying to move the earth with his feet.

As someone who had seen the fearsome might of the obsidian earthmover, the last thing he'd ever have associated with the beast was patience. Those five years inside that cave, however, changed his mind. Not only was he slow to pick up on what his mother was trying to teach him, but even after he finally understood it, it took years for him to finally do the same. During that time, Greg sometimes grew frustrated and started throwing tantrums, refusing to cooperate, and running into the walls of the cave. Sometimes even into his poor mother. Given how much thicker her armor was compared to his, however, he probably hurt himself more than he did her. He, however, knew firsthand just how little it took to piss off such a creature.

Had his mother felt like it, she could have easily stomped him to death or gored him through with her impressive tusk. Whenever he got into such a nasty mood, however, all his mother would do was gently corral him until his side was pressed up against her front legs and her massive head gently resting on her other side. Even as a young creature, he understood the gesture to be the embrace that it was. And somehow, with the secret magic all mothers seemed to have, it always seemed to calm him down. With gentle encouragement from her, he would soon be back to trying to figure out how to get the earth under him to move the way he wanted it to.

The one thing his mother remained completely firm about was the fact that Greg wasn't allowed outside of the cave. It was a mercy that his mother could simply move the earth to bury all their waste otherwise the place would have become intolerable pretty fast. Both out of curiosity and boredom, Greg had on many occasions tried to leave but had always been rebuffed. If his mother was present, she would just push him back inside the cave. Whenever she left to go get food she would cause small sharp spikes to grow all over the floor around the cave entrance. Spikes that his armor was not yet thick enough to overcome. It wasn't until his third year inside the cave that it clicked inside his mind that if he learned to walk like his mother did, the spikes wouldn't be a problem. She was making it so he equated knowing how to move with freedom.

In his fifth year, it finally clicked in Greg's mind what he was missing. And when it did, he also understood why his mother had to keep him confined to the cave. Starting in his fourth year, he started lying on the cave floor unmoving for long periods. After years inside a small empty cave, there was only so much exploration, prancing around, and playing that one could do. There was a small depression on the floor where he usually slept. It had formed as a result of his stony skin grinding away at the stone under him. It was in this small crook that he would quietly spend most of his day. It's a good thing his mother would insist that they play the circling-each-other game whenever she was around otherwise he would have just laid there until his muscles atrophied and he went into catatonia.

It was only after a year of lying on the ground that he felt the connection he had to it. The way he learned of the connection wasn't all that glamorous but it worked all the same. His mother walked into the cave using her earth manipulation abilities to drag a tree behind her whose leaves Greg loved to chew on. Over the months of lying in his little crook, however, Greg had come to love just sitting there on the floor in constant contact with the earth under him. Not even the temptation of the leaves made him want to move. His mother, however, would have none of it. He wasn't going to starve on her watch. She would keep nudging him with her nose until eventually Greg gave in.

On this particular day, Greg was feeling particularly attached to his small patch of dirt and didn't want to be moved. His mother, however, was relentless, and eventually, he had no choice but to give in. Feeling a bit resentful and unwilling to lose any more contact with the earth than he had to, Greg dragged his feet all the way over to where the tree was. Much to his surprise, however, his mother started to bellow and snort in the particular way she always did when she was happy. She also started running circles around him. Although confused at first, he was eventually swept up in his mother's joy and started running circles around her. It wasn't until they had been at this for a while that he picked up on the fact that the only sounds he could hear were the vocal sounds they were making. Looking down, he realized that all this time, the earth had been moving under him whenever he moved. He hadn't dragged his feet over to the tree, he had gotten the earth to move with him.

That was the first time he felt his connection to the earth below him and it was the starkest realization he ever had up to that point in his life. Rather than forcing it to do his bidding, Greg only had to communicate his intent to the earth below him through their connection. Rather than tell it to rise when he wanted to take a step, he only had to ask it to take a step with him. They weren't two antagonistic forces but rather, two parts of a duet in a dance with each other. When he moved, so long as he was clear in his intent, the earth would move with him. When he took a step, it did too. It was a weak and tenuous connection at first and if his mother hadn't confined him to that empty and bland cave, he probably would never have found it. Boring and sometimes frustrating as it was, being forced to stay in one place surrounded by nothing but stone for close to five years is what eventually allowed him to connect to the element in a way that he otherwise never would have...

***

Alena opened her eyes when she felt someone enter the cave. Turning her head towards the side of the cave where the teleportation room was hidden behind a wall, she watched as the form of her student, Roka, walked through the wall and into the cave. But while it was his form, she knew that it wasn't the real Roka. The real Roka was still seated cross-legged just a few feet away from her holding the obsidian earthmover's beast-core. As such, there was no surprise on her face as she watched the Roka that had just walked in slowly morph back into the form of the familiar.

"I've told his mother and sister that he'll be busy with you for a few days and that they shouldn't worry," she stated.

"What did they say?" Alena asked neutrally.

An amused smile crossed the familiar's lips as she answered. "His mother quietly told him that he shouldn't try to bed you lest you kill him," She relayed.

In any other situation, Alena would have found the warning just as amusing as the familiar seemed to find it. At present, however, her worry for her student wouldn't allow her to find much humor in anything. Her gaze turned to the mouth of the cave, the bright orange colors of the twilight sky telling her that the sun was about to set. Her hand unconsciously clenched in worry as she turned to once again regard the boy, Roka. Since morning right after his infusion of mana and their discussion on his elemental awareness, Roka had been stuck like this. She had been forced to give him the other two infusions of mana while he was still in this state. So far Roka had been forbidden from controlling his mana in any way. As such, the fact that he wasn't in conscious control of himself didn't affect the process in any way. Still, with every passing moment, she grew more worried.

When calm and relaxed, Alena could create a formidable soul tether formation in about five to six hours. Her fear drove her, however, and she had managed to put together the soul tether formation around the two of them in roughly two hours. How to perfectly fit the different elements of this new formation in between the central sigil and the first formation that they'd erroneously prepared had been quite the challenge. She, however, had always been able to rise to the occasion whenever she was put under pressure and she'd done so this time as well. Olivia's help and input had also been instrumental in helping her accomplish this. Finishing the new formation, however, turned out to be the easy part. What came after was the real challenge...

***

For almost five years Greg had been curious about and looking forward to finally leaving the cave. When the time finally came, however, he found himself feeling nervous about it. His mother stood just outside the cave looking in, calmly waiting for him to work up the courage to leave. The spikes were still all over the floor at the mouth of the cave. They, however, had spent the past one month inside the cave training his movements. By now, his connection to the earth under him wasn't as tenuous as it had been the first time they had connected to it. There was no fear in him that he wouldn't be able to cross the threshold of the cave. Instead, it was the prospect of what lay outside the safety of his familiar cave that had him hesitating.

In the end, however, his curiosity and anticipation won out over his fear and he walked out into the wide open world... only for him to run back into the cave after seeing just how big it was outside the cave. In the end, it took a lot of coaxing and silent encouragement from his mother before he was willing to leave again. Over the next weeks, they slowly explored the area around the cave, his mother allowing him to become used to the idea of the outside bit by bit. At the start, his mother would always be the first one out of the cave where she would wait for him to muster the courage to follow. By the end of the third week, however, the order flipped and he would be the one to exit first, making impatient noises for his mother to follow behind him. It was six months later when they finally left the cave for the final time.

In reality, creatures such as them weren't sedentary. If they found a good place, they could mark out a territory, and hang around for a year or two before moving on. Otherwise, no one place could sustain creatures like them for too long. In the course of the five years that his mother had been in one place raising him, she'd gradually been forced to go further and further away from the cave just to find enough food to sustain both herself and him. Towards the end of the five years, most of her time outside the cave was spent just walking to and from her feeding grounds. It was in their travels outside the cave that Greg learned the next facet of his connection with the earth.

As it turns out, within the confines of a small cave, he could easily keep up with his mother. It was once they were outside the cave and in the open forests and plains that he learned just how great the gulf not only in speed and endurance there was between the two of them. Large as she was, and unhurried as her steps seemed to be, she somehow always managed to pull ahead of him. He would often find himself having to run just to keep up with her walking. And while the difference in their size might have explained part of it, it couldn't fully account for why even while running, the gap between his mother and himself would still grow. And unlike back when he was in the cave, this time his mother wasn't quite as willing to coddle him as before. Not only would she never stop or slow down for him, but even when Greg seemed to be catching up she would somehow pick up pace without moving any faster. For the next year, Greg would be dead tired by the time the end of the day came along. Despite his best efforts, he never caught up by the end of the day, instead his mother usually had to circle back to where he'd collapsed from exhaustion.

It took him a whole year to learn the concept of borrowing strength from the earth. And while the pace might be considered slow by some, compared to his former learning speed, it was rather fast. Asking the earth to move with him was all fine and dandy as a foundation for his future abilities. In the end, however, it was little more than a waste of energy and mana, not to mention pointless. After all, he was already moving himself, what did it matter if the earth moved as well? It wasn't until one afternoon, watching his mother seemingly walk leisurely in the distance that his frustration made him stomp the ground with utter frustration wanting to move as fast as she was. Greg who'd been huffing and puffing as he ran after her at the time, almost fell forward on his snout when the earth shifted forward slightly.

Having already grown steadily familiar with his earth connection over the course of that one year, he immediately picked up on the difference. For the first time in a long time, he just stood frozen in one place. It was one of those moments where just one piece falls into place and suddenly the whole puzzle snaps together into one coherent picture. It suddenly clicked in his mind why, despite never looking like she was moving with any haste, his mother was always moving far faster than he was. Even better, why, despite this, she never seemed to get tired the way he did! As it turns out, she wasn't wasting energy getting the earth to repeat what she was already doing. Instead, she was borrowing the strength of the earth to propel herself forward. As such she was moving at two, three, even four times the speed for less than half the energy simple walking would require. Just three days after making this discovery, he was easily and leisurely moving beside his mother...

***

"You are his familiar! You are supposed to be connected to him at the level of the soul! How is it that you can't reach him, even with the formation?" Alena asked with clear frustration.

The soul-tether formation, as its name suggests is supposed to act as an anchor. A lifeline that one can draw on to find their way back to reality no matter how deep into an illusion they sink. Even more than just being a road map back to reality, it also acts as a way of preserving one's identity so that, no matter what they see, hear, or feel within the illusion, they won't lose themselves to it. By the time they had finished carving out the soul-tether formation, Roka had only been inside the illusion for two hours. Alena had been already worried as depending on the illusion, years may have already passed inside his head. That, however, had been more than a day before.

Since then, they made several attempts to connect with Roka's soul, all for naught. He had already gone into the illusion without first being anchored by the soul-tether formation, so some difficulty in connecting to him was to be expected. The complete lack of even minimal success, however, left the two of them both stunned and completely baffled. At first, they had thought that in their rush, they had probably gotten something wrong with the formation. They had gone over it again with a fine tooth comb looking for anything that might explain their failure. But other than one or two minor errors that didn't, in the final analysis, affect the formation all that much, they found nothing.

After there were no more flaws left in the formation, they made another try. Given that she made the first attempt, Alena allowed the familiar to make the second one, hoping that she would have greater success than her. Two hours later, the familiar too gave up in frustration. Whatever was going on with the boy and the beast core, he seemed to have been locked off beyond their reach with the formation. Whether he would pull through this whole ordeal, seemed to depend entirely on the boy alone, a proposition that left her with a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. And so they had alternated in their attempts to make use of the soul-tether formation half a dozen more times, all to no avail.

"As I've told you three times already, I can only tell what is going on with him based on the thoughts and emotions passing through his mind. As soon as he connected to the beast-core, it's like his soul got locked behind a fort. No matter what I do, I can't reach him through our connection. I mean, if it was that easy, do you think I'd be sitting here with your grumpy self? She countered. The answer was snippy, but so had been her question, so Alena couldn't exactly blame Olivia. The two of them were just an unhealthy mixture of worried and frustrated.

"Ca... can we contact her?" Alena tentatively asked. There was clear hesitation in her voice as she did. Part of it was because of the capricious nature of such powerful beings. The last time they had called her she had seemed perfectly reasonable. But that may have been merely because she had something of worth to offer her in trade. Who knows how she would act if called on for this? The other reason behind the hesitation in her voice was the price they would be asked to pay. Alena wasn't naïve. Help from such beings never came with no strings attached. A sorcerer she once knew had warned her that it's not when they ask for exorbitant payments for their aid that you should be worried. It's when they offered to do something for a pittance, or worse, for free that you should run for the hills. If they called on Olivia's true self, perhaps what she would ask in return would be something neither she nor her student would be willing to pay, worse yet, she might not ask for something, keeping this as a card against them that she could use at any point.

"Have you ever had students, Alena?" Came the strange question from the familiar.

A number of faces fleeted through Alena's mind even as she nodded. "I've taken a few under my wing over the years," She replied.

"Did you swoop in to save them every time they got themselves into a bit of trouble?" The familiar followed up with another question. Alena remained quiet, the answer not having to be spoken out loud. Part of nurturing one's students was allowing them to make their own mistakes and to learn from them. Alena had been prepared to pay exorbitantly for any help offered, she hadn't been ready for complete apathy and disinterest. "If I were to try and summon my true self because of this, she would do little more than glance our way before going on with whatever else she has going on.

BlaQQuill
BlaQQuill
664 Followers
12