All Comments on 'The Smallholder Pt. 01'

by Alwaysraining

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
Jack99Jack99about 9 years ago
Wow

Very good! But of course all your stories are. Looking forward to the rest. I do believe I would likely have not ran off in the snow after Gerard.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Angela

Sucks. But I guess when you're an isolated hermit, any port will do in a storm.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Good Story

I am really enjoying it. Look forward to reading the rest.

To Anony that thinks that Angela sucks, I disagree. I see her as a young woman who has recently been exposed to a way of life that she has never thought of before. Major changes can be confusing and frightening. Would you leave behind a way of life that you had lived for years after only a few days exposure to a new one? Most people wouldn't, and I dare say that they shouldn't. She needs time to fully explore the new, and compare it to the old. Waffling back and forth during this time is to be expected. It can be difficult for everyone involved.

The_PedantThe_Pedantabout 9 years ago
More, please.

A touch too religious and preachy, but I am still looking forward to the next two parts.

fanfarefanfareabout 9 years ago
lots of self-introspection to consider

I am a materialist atheist and I do not agree that the author included "too much religion". These are ideas and concepts that define our Humanity.

Religious belief is not institutional religion. As much as I disagree with a reliance on faith and belief, I recognize that for many, even most people, belief systems are an important part of their personality.

Some of the worst people I have known are religious and some are atheists. Some of the best people I have known are religious and some are atheists.

All too often, people use labels to excuse their bad behavior towards other people.

Sid0604Sid0604about 9 years ago
What a Great Story...

Wow!!! What a great story so far. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this chapter. I think it has been terribly under-rated and is easily worth 5 stars.

AnticsAnticsabout 9 years ago
Lovely characteristisation

This was very well done. I felt his gentleness and acceptance, and her uncertainties.Thank you for sharing it. If you ever need an editor, let me know.

graceunderfiregraceunderfireabout 9 years ago
Beautiful

I'm enchanted...with both the wonderful story and the vocabulary. Well done.

rightbankrightbankabout 9 years ago
my only complaint is how you made her so easily manipulated

trevor/gerard, in his only moment of lucidity was able to break down her resolve with a few smooth words.

Joseph the Buddhist was almost too perfect. but that is easier to live with.

jezchazaniajezchazaniaover 7 years ago
Most Excellent

Super tale loved it thank you :)

Rake456Rake456about 5 years ago

The "baddies" are caricatures to the point of parody, and it's kind of a detriment to the story.

Horseman68Horseman68about 5 years ago
Second Reading.

The story is nothing if not better reading it the second time. Enough said.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonabout 5 years ago
Excellent...

The "St. James" referred to in this story is the book of James, found in the Bible, in the New Testament. It's a simple, short book, or more accurately, a letter, about how people should treat each other; a book of common sense, a book that's always brought me peace of mind.

No matter if you believe in God or Buddha or Nothing, it's a good read. Wouldn't take you an hour to make your way through it - and you'll feel better for the experience. Not trying to convert anyone, just wanted to mention where you can find it if you were of a mind. Just google the book of James, and enjoy.

Loving this story for the second time. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Good story, although I'm not much for turning the other cheek.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman5 months ago

Good story, kept me interested enough to see what happens with the 2 MC's. Just seems a little to slow and long, although you give the reader a lot to think about.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlwaysraining@Alwaysraining
I live the the North West of England, where we get more than our share of rain, hence my pen-name. Before I retired, more years ago than I care to think about, I had a job which exercised my mind to the full. I never had time to write anything but text books and manuals. Si...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES