The Songbird

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers

"I thought I may have to use an earth closet, but you do seem to have found the twentieth century. Ooh coffee! I need. Make it strong Jack I need caffeine." I made the coffee and carried it through to the lounge. Cate took over pouring two mugs.

"How do you like your coffee, Jack?"

"Two sugars and very little milk, please."

She gave me a mug and picking up her mug wandered to the windows. "That view is fantastic. I could stand here all day and just look at it." She turned to me. "I have always thought that you had got yourself sorted, by that I mean at peace with yourself. Now I know why, living here you can't help but feel at peace."

"Yes it does that for you."

"Play some music, Jack. Anything but Rock. Rock would somehow be out of place here." I nodded and switched on the music system, selecting a disk from a large collection.

"Ok. Now you will hear my music." There was only one choice really, I hit the play button and the strains of Glenn Millers 'Moonlight Serenade' filled the room. Cate almost without thinking started to sway. That's what it does to you. She turned from the window with a frown on her face.

"I've heard that before, but it seems...flat."

"That's because it's the original recording. It's not in stereo, I'll play another recording which is." I waited until the final chords flowed away and ejected the disk. I then found the other recording and slotted that in.

Cate started swaying again and smiled. "That's better. This has got fullness and colour. Why did they record it twice?"

"Glenn Miller didn't. The second version was made in the early nineties by a revivalist swing band."

"But it's perfect!"

"Well yes. You can still buy the score, and good musicians can reproduce Miller's sound perfectly."

Cate gestured to me to replay the track. She danced around the room humming the refrain as she did. "Are there lyrics?"

"Not originally. Miller recorded it as an instrumental, however it was so successful that a guy named Mitchell Parrish wrote some lyrics for it." I was at my computer as I spoke. "It's been recorded often, Frank Sinatra for one, Carly Simon and many, many more. Ah! Here it is.". I clicked on print and within a minute I handed them to Cate.

She studied them. "Play it again."

I saluted. "Yes Ma'am, and you should say Sam after that instruction."

Cate looked at me with a querulous expression and then laughed. "So it's old films as well as old music." She curtsied. "I'm sorry Sir.. Would you play it again, please?"

"Of course."

Cate went through it a couple of times stopping when she got the phrasing wrong. Finally on the third attempt she sang a very creditable version. I could not believe what I heard. I know I had said she had a great range, but she seemed to have the knack of changing her tone and style to suit. The loud performer singing at the top of her range for Rock, suddenly became feline, her voice purring over the lyrics injecting so much sex appeal into the words and the music. What is more she was singing here in my lounge, singing just for me.

The song finished. Cate looked at me with sparkling eyes. "I love it. I wanna record it. It's fabulous." Then her face fell. "But where am I going to get an orchestra to sing with?"

I went back to the computer and googled 'swing bands uk' Even I was surprised at the result. I showed Cate the results. "I doubt that all of them are suitable, but I am certain that some of them could do the job you need."

She clicked on a few rejecting most, then suddenly came alive. "I know him." She pointed to a name. "He does sessions and he is good. I didn't know he was part of a swing orchestra. I can phone him when I get home, I've got his number somewhere."

Cate's enthusiasm was infectious and I hated to bring her down to earth. "So what other tracks will you do?"

The enlivened face vanished. "You're right. If I am going to hire a band and a studio, I need much more than one song." She glared at me. "Ok, Mister. You're the one who started this, find me some more songs."

I sat back down at the computer and opened 'my music'. I began creating a play list from songs I thought she would like and sing well. "Shall I make some more coffee while you are doing that?"

"That would be good, I am sure you will find everything."

"I'm sure, and it will give me an opportunity to have a good snoop in your kitchen." She winked cheekily.

Ten minutes later she came back with the coffee just as I finished what turned out to be quite a long list. I checked it again and deleted a few and then clicked on 'play list'. The first song was 'Moonlight Serenade', this time with lyrics sung by Frank Sinatra. Cate pulled a face when she heard his voice. I understood why. Sinatra was a superlative singer, but a horrible man. However she listened carefully to his phrasing, which wasn't too different to hers. Then came 'Perfidia' and the list rolled on. I was writing down the titles of those she like best and added some that I thought would suit her voice well. I wasn't surprised that we ended with a good list of standards and some showstoppers. I was pleased when she gave the nod to 'After you've gone', and 'You made me love you', also 'You do something to me'. At the end I sprang a surprise on her.

"This wasn't on the playlist, but I believe you could really do justice to this." I played 'Stardust'. It has a very slow beat, but done well could be a showstopper.

After she listened to it she sat down. "Jack, you seem to have far more confidence in my abilities than I. How could I sing that?"

"Cate, you took to 'Moonlight' as if you were born to it. I'll print the lyrics and play an instrumental version of 'Stardust'. Humour me, I think you can do it." I found the lyrics and printed them. I searched 'my music' again and found the instrumental version of 'Stardust' and played it. "I'll leave you to get used to it. Just click on 'play again' when you need to. In the meantime I will go and get some lunch."

"It's cold salmon, potato salad and a green salad." She told me. "I sneaked a look in your fridge." She grinned cheekily. "I told you I would have a good look around."

I could hear the music and Cate's faltering attempts to get the phrasing right from where I was in the kitchen. 'And now the purple dusk of twilight time', the opening line doesn't seem to fit with the music at first. It's lingering on some words and passing quickly on others, which works. Cate kept playing again and again that first phrase until suddenly she got it. Having mastered that she went on. It wasn't easy but gradually she got through it. When I returned to the lounge carrying our lunch she was doing well. She stopped when I came back and eyed me. "You bugger! This is the most difficult song I have ever had."

"Exactly why so few singers will ever attempt it. However from what I heard you are getting it. When you are ready I will play Nat King Coles version. He was adjudged one of the masters at phrasing. Now come and eat while it's cold. Oh do you fancy a glass of Chardonnay?"

"Yes please. I noticed that in the fridge as well and wondered when you were going to offer me a glass."

"I couldn't be too eager with wine, you may have thought I was trying to seduce you."

"No problem. I would only scream a little." She grinned.

We ate the meal companionably, talking between bites and drinking the wine. The sun made its appearance about two o' clock. Up till then the sky had been high overcast but warm. With the Sun warming the terrace I opened the large windows. Having finished the food, we wandered out with our replenished glasses and enjoyed the warmth and light.

Cate

I could not think of a day that I had enjoyed so much for years. We reacted together as good friends, something that I hadn't known in a long, long time. Being in my business you soon got used to the idea that 'friends' were only there as long as you were regularly getting to the top of the charts. Slip a little and your 'friends' started making excuses as to why they could not see you. It was comfortable to be with Jack, non- threatening. Apart from that little crack about seduction, he had never strayed into that area we both knew was on the horizon. I knew deep down that we would get there and the idea of sharing a bed with him was a warm tingle deep inside me. I also knew that if that happened it would be permanent for both of us. Now that was a happy thought. I had been single for a few years and I didn't like being single. When I married it was with hopes of having that solid foundation I needed after going on the road. You travel with lots of people but still you are lonely. I needed that secure environment of home, loving arms to hold me; and for a moment enjoy the normality of a home before I had to go again, off to the mad life I led. It hadn't worked out that way, perhaps marrying someone in the business was a mistake.

Jack could be that. He was so secure in himself that he didn't need to keep proving it to others. The other thing I liked about him was his view of me, that I was better than just the Rock Chick I had been all these years. Listening to his music I had to admit that he had a point. It was good, but I wouldn't admit that to him for some time. Trying out the songs was a challenge, especially 'Stardust' and funnily enough I found some of that buzz and emotion for music that got me started in the first place. Songs and music to which my grandparents had danced. Jack had said they were timeless and he was right. When we wandered out onto the terrace I imagined myself living here. It was a happy picture. I watched him as he strolled to the edge of the terrace and picked a weed from a pot. Even that simple task he did with control and deliberation. Yes he would be the man I could come home to, shelter in his arms and become 'normal' for a while. I debated offering to stay tonight, but decided against. This relationship was going in the right direction, I didn't need to force it, it would happen and when it did, I was sure it would be one of the best things in my life, and I would make sure I was the best thing in his life.

Jack

Cate decided after lunch that she wanted to have another attempt at 'Stardust'. She was doing better with it but was still a little laboured in places. I made more coffee and we sat down to relax.

"You said you had a daughter." Cate remarked. "Do you see her regularly?"

"Yes. As I said the divorce was easy and it was obvious that Ellen would stay with her mother. My work, being often away from home wouldn't be right for my parenting her. There were no problems about visiting rights, I suppose my wife felt guilt and decided to be as accommodating as she could. Especially as I was reasonable about the split."

"Your daughter's name is Ellen? That's not a usual name these days."

I grinned in memory of the rows we had about the name. "She was named after my grandmother. I thought it wrong but my wife insisted. I suspect the idea that my grandmother who was quite well off would look kindly on us in her Will. She did, but by that time we were divorced, so for my wife it was all for nothing."

"Your grandmother did look kindly on you then?"

"Yes. This place is the evidence for that. I couldn't have afforded the re-building without her legacy."

Cate was smirking as she said. "Oh, and I thought you did it all with your own hands."

"Huh!" I laughed. "Not likely. I can wire a plug, but that is about the limit of my handy-man expertise."

Cate returned to the topic of Ellen. "How old is your daughter now?"

"Ellen is nineteen. She's at Durham University, studying for her B.A."

"Will I meet her sometime?"

I was not so stupid to understand what Cate was really asking. "I hope you will, and many times. I am sure you will like her, and her, you. Hopefully when you are next here, she may pay a flying visit." I noticed the small smile on Cate's face, as she understood my words.

"Flying visit?"

"Yeah. She's a nineteen year old. There is so much she has to do, you know, parties, clubbing, hanging out with her mates. You know the score. She comes to see her old dad for a fleeting visit, to justify the car I bought her."

Cate laughed happily. "I know what that's about. I loved my mum's Steak and Kidney pie. Whenever I got home between tours, she would make me one, just to remind me of the sense in getting home often. "

"So you still go home occasionally?"

"Yes. Mum and dad don't live in Southend anymore. When dad retired they moved to Frinton on Sea."

"Ooh. Very posh."

"Not so much as it was. I think they have a take-away Chinese now."

That amused me. The main road into Frinton had a level crossing with the railway on the outskirts of the town. The story, most likely apocryphal, was that should anything like a coach party approach, the level crossing gates would be closed until the coach party gave up and drove off to nearby Clacton. The town council years ago would not give planning permission for take-away restaurants. It was probably untrue, but those were the stories at the time. There was a time when Frinton was known for its aging population, and using the advertising of the time giving birth to the quip, 'Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the incontinent'.

Cate finished her coffee and got up. "I shall go and freshen up and could you take me back to the hotel, please. Or call a taxi."

I looked at my watch. I hadn't realised how the time was going. Just goes to show how time flies when you are having a good time. "No problem, of course I will take you back to the hotel." Cate smiled her thanks and went off to the bathroom. I cleared the plates and took them to the kitchen. I returned to the lounge and closed the big windows. I turned and found Cate standing behind me. She took a step closer and I opened my arms. She flowed into me. With her head on my chest I heard her. "Jack, this has been a great day, thank you. If you can put up with me I would like to do this again sometime."

"I would like that, sometime soon I hope."

I felt her nod. "Yes, soon." She looked up at me. "Perhaps I could even stay?"

"I would like that as well." She smiled and stretched her head upwards, I lowered my face and our lips joined, tentatively at first then pressing harder. Her mouth opened a little and my tongue slipped in seeking her tongue that actively sought mine. Her hand came up behind my head and held me in place to prolong the kiss. She pulled away with a smile, which became a cheeky grin. "You certainly know how to kiss a girl, what else do you know?"

"We will have to explore that together, sometime." I grinned.

"Soon." Cate replied. "Now get me back to the hotel before I forget myself."

CHAPTER SIX

Jack

We spoke on the phone quite regularly. When she left Derby she had a two-night show in Bristol and then she was back home. There was nothing in her diary for the next three weeks so she contacted Steve Brackley, the guy she knew who had organised the Swing orchestra. They met and discussed her plans. Steve was just as excited as she. Evidently whilst they got regular bookings, they tended to be for corporate events, and they were asked to play a mixed programme of music, not just swing. Steve thought that the opportunity to collaborate with a 'name' such as Kat Lacey would give them a real chance of becoming not exactly headliners but certainly a much higher profile. He discussed the idea with the other members of the orchestra and they were quite happy to give the idea a chance, especially as Kat was looking to put together an album, funding it herself. They offered their services on the basis of taking a percentage of sales. All of this was related to me over a series of phone calls. Then came the day when Cate told me they had got a date for the recording studio. "Jack, we're recording on the eighteenth and nineteenth. The guys are going to lay down the tracks first and then I shall dub in the vocals. Steve's reinforced the Saxes and brought in a very good Clarinettist. He reckons it's the closest to Glenn Miller he's ever heard."

"Sounds great, Cate. I can't wait to hear the final version."

"I'm so excited about it. I'm sorry we had to drop 'Stardust', I just couldn't get it right, but Steve re-arranged 'I Follow' to a swing version and that is fantastic."

"Don't worry about 'Stardust'. You'll get there one day."

"I'm sure. Steve says that if the disk sells and we get some tour dates, he suggests that we tour as 'Kat Lacey and the Stela Swing band'. What do you think?"

"It's different. Where does Stela come from?"

"It's a combination of Steve and Lacey."

"Hmm, that should work. You know that the vocalist travelling with a band normally didn't get a mention."

"Yes, Steve mentioned that. He reckons that my name is essential to bring the audience in."

"Well, from my perspective he's right. But you could say I am not impartial."

She giggled. "I'm not impartial either, in fact I am quite partial to you. When this is put to bed, can I come up and see you and perhaps you could put me to bed?"

I caught my breath and stuttered. "I...I th...th..think I would find that a pleasure."

Her voice was very soft as she replied. "I am sure that I will."

Cate

The rehearsals were done. It's not often that I looked forward to rehearsing, but this was special. First of all I had a band behind me of really good professional musicians many of whom I knew from sessions in the studio. I was not too surprised to see three females in the band. One played keyboards, another blew both alto and tenor sax, the last, a girl who could not have been older than twenty-one who played both clarinet and tenor sax. I found it easy to keep my lyrics in time, as I was so close to the band that the swing beat literally throbbed in my body. Steve was smiling all the time, running out of superlatives to describe the sound we were producing. Now we were in the studio. I sat with the technicians with headphones on as Steve and the band laid down the tracks. I said they were all professionals and they were. None of them were strangers to the recording studio as most of them worked as session musicians anyway, now coming together to play the music that they liked. They went about their job and laid down fifteen tracks easily within the first day. Each track was close to eight minutes in length, although my lyrics would only last for four. A CD would allow for the extra length.

Steve came in the next day when I had to record the lyrics. He actually conducted me, bringing me in when he wanted me to sing and giving me the timing, although I had sung these songs so frequently in rehearsal that I was pretty well spot on, but having him there was an encouragement. It would be good to say that I got it down right first time, I didn't. A couple of times I sang the wrong words, the other times it was because of a technical hitch. My microphone was not balanced to the band's recording on a couple of occasions and the other was when the microphone gave up the ghost half way through. No one jumped up and down screaming angrily, this was par for the course in recording studios. I was completely wiped out when we finished. I was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. The sweatshirt had a deep vee of perspiration down the front and the back and my bra felt like my breasts were sitting in pools of rapidly cooling water. Despite the discomfort I was hyper when we finished. We had got something good in the bag.

Steve had listened to some of the completed tracks and was jumping with joy. We had laid down fifteen tracks believing that we would have to drop one or maybe two. When I joined Steve and the sound engineer in his booth they were talking about it. The engineer turned to me and said. "I would not like to suggest what track should be shelved, they're all great. If it was me, I would press them all." Steve agreed and that was it, decision made. In the following days the engineer played all the tracks and balanced them for tone and volume, only when he was satisfied with that would he make the master and that again was thoroughly checked for imperfections. There actually were two masters, one was kept safely and the other was sent off to a company that specialized in disk production. I had ordered a first run of five thousand, so a glass master was made from the studio master and it was the glass master that was used in the imprinting. Their in-house graphic designer produced the sleeve and with Steve and my agreement they were printed.

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,198 Followers
123456...9